Home
Posted By: bwinters Elk muzzleloading - 11/09/18
Been trying to decide what to do with my Colorado elk points (7 pts). I can get a decent tag in a couple of units I'm familiar with. It might be time to burn them.....

Which brings me to muzzleliading rifles and bullets. What do you guys use - rifle, caliber, bullet, powder for elk?

Thanks.
Posted By: 805 Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/09/18
I haven’t hunted CO muzzleloader yet but if/when I do it will be with Thor bullets and BH209 in my TC muzzy.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/09/18
50 caliber minimum for elk in CO, and you'll have the best selection of bullets in 50 cal. so that's what I'd recommend unless you want to shoot round balls, then something bigger would be better. If you don't know the regs, no scopes allowed, fiber optic sights are OK, no sabots, pelleted powder, or smokeless.

I use a T/C Triumph, light and handles good. I use 348 grain powerbelt bullets because they're accurate and easy to load. You'll have people tell you they're no good for elk but I think I've killed 8 or 10 with that bullet and none got away. Saddlesore uses 'em too I think. I think some have had less than optimal performance with lighter weight PBs.

I use Blackhorn 209, great stuff and not nearly as hard on the bore as some other powders. You need a hot primer for it though, 209 only. Hope this helps.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/09/18
Ditto what Smokepole said.I have probably killed 10-12 elk with them. I also use 370 gr Maxiballs in my side lock and black power too when I feel like plugging a heavier rifle around.

Push the Powerbelts too fast and you will have problems similar to any other pure lead bullet.If you like to stuff 150 grains of powder in your ML then you probably better find a tougher bullet.
Muzzle Loader hunting is just like center ire rifle hunting. It is more important as to where you place the bullet in the animal than what type. Even more so since you don't have a follow up shot if you screw up the first one. You can't go wrong with the heavier bullets
Posted By: bwinters Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/10/18
Hmmm guess I'm set. I have a TC Omega, it likes 348 PB, and I dont shoot 150 grains powder. Bonus! I've not tried Blackhorn powder but will give it a whirl.

Now about this open sight thing.......
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/10/18
TC Bone Collector (fancy triumph), peep site, 120 grains Blackhorn 209, 250 grain Thor (muzzy version of Barnes Triple Shock), CCI 209 primer. Just do it. Killed good bulls this year and last year with this combo. Both one shot kills. It just works. I'm sure there are other good choices but after playing around with muzzleloaders for over 30 years this is what I came up with.
PS this 50 cal combo is very flat and knocks the snot out of them. I found both bullets just inside the hide on the off side. 147 yds. last year and 191 yds. this year both with good rests. Drops about a foot at 200 yds. from a bench at the range which is my limit. I have shot the platinum power belts also and in my rifles they are more accurate with less powder. I started with a 54 Renegade w. 100 grains of Pyrodex and a 435 grain Buffalo Bullet years ago and this is light years from there. Almost cheating. Ha.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/10/18
6 or 7 elk with tc omega, 348gr power belts, 90 or 100gr 777. All one shot kills, broadside except one which was head on at 8 feet. Easy, peasy....
147 yds on the left and 191 yds on the right.

Attached picture Thors.jpg
Attached picture Thors 2.jpg
Posted By: bwinters Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/10/18
I have the Thor bullet sizing sample pack in the garage, never got around to trying them. I'll give them a try.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/11/18
Originally Posted by smokepole
50 caliber minimum for elk in CO, and you'll have the best selection of bullets in 50 cal. so that's what I'd recommend unless you want to shoot round balls, then something bigger would be better. If you don't know the regs, no scopes allowed, fiber optic sights are OK, no sabots, pelleted powder, or smokeless.

I use a T/C Triumph, light and handles good. I use 348 grain powerbelt bullets because they're accurate and easy to load. You'll have people tell you they're no good for elk but I think I've killed 8 or 10 with that bullet and none got away. Saddlesore uses 'em too I think. I think some have had less than optimal performance with lighter weight PBs.

I use Blackhorn 209, great stuff and not nearly as hard on the bore as some other powders. You need a hot primer for it though, 209 only. Hope this helps.
\

New for 2018, if you want to shoot round balls you must use a .54 or greater...
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/11/18
I use Triple 7 FFFG. 50 caliber. My new beast uses musket caps. 80 grains powder is my set.

The trigger pull on the beach blows....

460 grain No Excuses conical are the pills I prefer.
Posted By: cobrad Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/11/18
I use an old Knight MK85 with a Lyman peep sight. Really like this rifle. Shooting 295 Powerbelt bullets and 90 grains Pyrodex. This load shoots really well in my rifle, and the bull I shot with it was pretty impressed too.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/11/18
Good catch Bean man. I've never used RBs on elk but if I did I think I'd go 58.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/11/18
Im thinkin’ this one ought to work. Throws a .610 RB pretty good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/11/18
610, even better!!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/11/18
610, even better!!

My thinkin’ too! Also like szihn’s advice of using a bit harder(lead) ball in this calibre of rifle for elk. Works good for him.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/11/18
Stunt shooter here, going .530 RB if I ever get a crack at another. Mostly I wander around the elk woods enjoying the scenery lately lol.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/12/18
I liked using a no excuses 460 grain .50 with 90 grains of pyrodex.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/13/18

Good catch Bean man. I've never used RBs on elk but if I did I think I'd go 58.

My Wife’s first muzzloader elk was with a .54 roundball. At 230 grains I think it is a little small but try telling your Wife that.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Elk muzzleloading - 11/13/18
No doubt the roundball will work!

But not so fast my friend.......either Lewis or Clark took on in the arse......and completed the exploration.
Posted By: MileHighShooter Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
Have a TC Triumph running Thor 250's and a lighter charge of BH209, forget what at the moment but im thinking 85 or 90. That's the ONLY combo of powder, charge weights, and bullets Ive been able to get that damn gun to shoot well in 4 years. Probably have $3-400 into testing that one.

Other gun is a TC Encore 26" I run Hornady GP 385's w/95gr HB209 Fed primers. Knocked a bull down in '14 with it. Good and reliable, just prefer carying the Triumph better
Posted By: 340mag Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Im thinkin’ this one ought to work. Throws a .610 RB pretty good.

[Linked Image]

I bet your 100% correct!
Ive got a rather similar too the picture below hawken style 62 caliber thats been used for decades with zero problems ,
and yes a 61 caliber patched ball does rather lethal things to the games vital organs if you can get into about 120 yards and shoot accurately
and about 100 grains of 2f is all thats required in that 42" barrel to provide decent accuracy and velocity
[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
Are the Remington UML primers legal in Colorado?

My gun comes with a great peep set up just for Colorado. I was thinking the Thors with 209 would be deadly in that rifle.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
What's a Remington UML primer?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
What's a Remington UML primer?

Supposedly special primers developed for muzzle loaders that have less fouling. I don't know if they are suppose to burn hotter though. More marketing hype I figure
Posted By: bobmn Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
Remington's Ultimate Muzzleloader Ignition Source features a U.M.L. ignition system, which uses a unique brass case with a Remington 9-1/2 large magnum rifle primer to completely seal the flash hole. This allows the shooter to load up to 200-gr. of powder for increased range, energy and accuracy. For use with the Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader only. I believe saddlesore is confusing it with Remington® Kleanbore® Muzzleloading 209 Primers. These are 209 sized primers that have a lower amount of priming compound then 209 shotgun primers. They were developed for blackpowder substitute pellets (777, pyrodex, etc.). The theory is that a shotgun 209 primer when fired behind a pellet can push the bullet up the bore a bit before the pellets are ignited. Not only will this increase fouling (crud ring) but it also causes inconsistent ignition due to a variable sized space behind the bullet prior to ignition.This can affect accuracy. Western Powder specifically recommends against using the muzzleloader primers with Blackhorn 209.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
Originally Posted by bobmn
Remington's Ultimate Muzzleloader Ignition Source features a U.M.L. ignition system, which uses a unique brass case with a Remington 9-1/2 large magnum rifle primer to completely seal the flash hole. This allows the shooter to load up to 200-gr. of powder for increased range, energy and accuracy. For use with the Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader only. I believe saddlesore is confusing it with Remington® Kleanbore® Muzzleloading 209 Primers. These are 209 sized primers that have a lower amount of priming compound then 209 shotgun primers. They were developed for blackpowder substitute pellets (777, pyrodex, etc.). The theory is that a shotgun 209 primer when fired behind a pellet can push the bullet up the bore a bit before the pellets are ignited. Not only will this increase fouling (crud ring) but it also causes inconsistent ignition due to a variable sized space behind the bullet prior to ignition.This can affect accuracy. Western Powder specifically recommends against using the muzzleloader primers with Blackhorn 209.

Yep, my bad. Hard to keep up with all this new techy stuff
This is from Page 13 of the 2018 Big Game Brochure, you can look it up on-line:

"Shotshell primers and B.O.R. Lock MZ System bullets are legal."

So it doesn't specifically address the Remington ignition system. I'd call the number listed on the cover of the big game brochure and ask the question, they're pretty good about getting you the answer to questions like this.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
"Now about this open sight thing......."
bwinters: Put a Weaver base on your Omega. Get a XS Ghost Ring backup sight that fits the Weaver rail. You will need a taller front sight. You can get some plastic sights from XS that fit in the front sight dovetail. Cut the plastic sight down to center your selected load for elevation and then buy a front sight of that height. You can also use a roofing nail filed to fit the dovetail. If your home state allows scopes when you get back from CO you will be all set to mount a scope.
Why not just use the stock fiber optic sights? They work fine.
Posted By: MileHighShooter Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
Someone makes a scope base that has a peep mounted on it so you can just take rings on/off without moving the peep. I think EABCO sells them
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/07/19
My buddy likes Thor Bullets
Posted By: ribka Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/08/19
Shot quite few elk with platinum power belts 777

I highly suggest putting peep site on muzzle loader

Muzzle loader.com are great business to deal with
Posted By: COElkChaser Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/09/19
I shoot a T/C Impact with 90 gr BH 209. Had a bear of a time finding anything that would group until I stumbled onto 320 gr Maxi Ball conicals. My Dad runs 120 gr BH 209 and Thor's in his T/C Pro Hunter, I've used that setup to take a cow at 73 yards with complete pass through.

I'm going to give the Federal Bore Locks a try this year, hoping the 270 gr copper bullets can group. I've moved away from lead in my center-fire and would like to do the same in my ML.

Also, I've been a big fan of using a peep sight with a globe sight in the front. Always felt the standard fiber optic sights blocked too much of my sight picture.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by COElkChaser
I shoot a T/C Impact with 90 gr BH 209. Had a bear of a time finding anything that would group until I stumbled onto 320 gr Maxi Ball conicals. My Dad runs 120 gr BH 209 and Thor's in his T/C Pro Hunter, I've used that setup to take a cow at 73 yards with complete pass through.

I'm going to give the Federal Bore Locks a try this year, hoping the 270 gr copper bullets can group. I've moved away from lead in my center-fire and would like to do the same in my ML.

Also, I've been a big fan of using a peep sight with a globe sight in the front. Always felt the standard fiber optic sights blocked too much of my sight picture.

Are you guys who can't get your T/Cs to shoot cleaning between every shot? I found that all three of mine shoot much better with a fouled bore.

On the peep vs. FO sight question, I'm just the opposite. I tried a peep but removed it, had a hard time using it in low light whereas the FO's are at their best in low light. And yes, the front bead will cover an area about the size of a soccer ball at 100 yards but that only matters when you're shooting targets, it's very easy IMO to center on an animal's chest, I've done it well over 100 yards more than once.

For shooting groups on paper I'm much more accurate with a large black "Shoot-n-see" target, the black circle is slightly larger than the front bead at 100 yards and it's easy to center the bead inside the circle, making for a much more precise hold and small groups on paper.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Someone makes a scope base that has a peep mounted on it so you can just take rings on/off without moving the peep. I think EABCO sells them

Williams Gunsight makes one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: COElkChaser Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/09/19
For me at least, fouling the bore didn't seem to have any effect. I shot different powder loads with all sorts of different bullets and only had success with the 320 great Maxi-Balls. I even tried 370 gr Maxi-Balls but never got them inside 4" at 100 yards. The 320 gr would all be within 1.5".

A lot of guys will place blame on the QLA at the end of a T/C barrel. They claim they aren't properly aligned with the barrel and causes the bullet the come out un-centered. Not sure if there's any merit to that or not. Seems like stretch since most of these can find at least something the shoots well.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/10/19
A few years back I had 11 points and decided to use them all. Booked a hunt with Jeanne horn, had a great hunt and took a big 5x5 with my muzzle loader. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had points. I've killed elk with 3 different muzzle loaders, my current one being a TC omega, 348gr powerpoints, and 90 or 100grs of 777. Don't hesitate to use your muzzle loader for elk.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/10/19
I have personally seen an Encore barrel with the QLA so badly misaligned with the bore you could see it with the naked eye.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/11/19
Idaho's about the same with an addition - no 209 primers. It's caps or flint only. You have to be able to see the cap when it's cocked. Peep sights are allowed along with fiber optics.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Elk muzzleloading - 01/11/19
I'm a relative newcomer to the muzzle loader.
Using a TC Encore with a Williams peep sight. I experimented with loads and seemed to get consistent results with Powerbelts using 100 grains Pyrodex. I like the accuracy.

A stupid mistake cost me an elk last year.
I used one of those Eberlestock gunrunner packs with the built in (muzzle down) scabbard. Great pack. Up high I got into elk and primed the gun. I foolishly forgot to re-tamp the load. One of the herd gave me a broadside look through the trees. The charge did a slow burn. No boom or cloud of smoke. The Powerbelt exited and arc'd into the dirt after a couple dozen yards.
© 24hourcampfire