Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt the roundball will work!

But not so fast my friend.......either Lewis or Clark took on in the arse......and completed the exploration.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have a TC Triumph running Thor 250's and a lighter charge of BH209, forget what at the moment but im thinking 85 or 90. That's the ONLY combo of powder, charge weights, and bullets Ive been able to get that damn gun to shoot well in 4 years. Probably have $3-400 into testing that one.

Other gun is a TC Encore 26" I run Hornady GP 385's w/95gr HB209 Fed primers. Knocked a bull down in '14 with it. Good and reliable, just prefer carying the Triumph better

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Im thinkin’ this one ought to work. Throws a .610 RB pretty good.

[Linked Image]

I bet your 100% correct!
Ive got a rather similar too the picture below hawken style 62 caliber thats been used for decades with zero problems ,
and yes a 61 caliber patched ball does rather lethal things to the games vital organs if you can get into about 120 yards and shoot accurately
and about 100 grains of 2f is all thats required in that 42" barrel to provide decent accuracy and velocity
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 340mag; 01/07/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Are the Remington UML primers legal in Colorado?

My gun comes with a great peep set up just for Colorado. I was thinking the Thors with 209 would be deadly in that rifle.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What's a Remington UML primer?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
What's a Remington UML primer?

Supposedly special primers developed for muzzle loaders that have less fouling. I don't know if they are suppose to burn hotter though. More marketing hype I figure

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Remington's Ultimate Muzzleloader Ignition Source features a U.M.L. ignition system, which uses a unique brass case with a Remington 9-1/2 large magnum rifle primer to completely seal the flash hole. This allows the shooter to load up to 200-gr. of powder for increased range, energy and accuracy. For use with the Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader only. I believe saddlesore is confusing it with Remington® Kleanbore® Muzzleloading 209 Primers. These are 209 sized primers that have a lower amount of priming compound then 209 shotgun primers. They were developed for blackpowder substitute pellets (777, pyrodex, etc.). The theory is that a shotgun 209 primer when fired behind a pellet can push the bullet up the bore a bit before the pellets are ignited. Not only will this increase fouling (crud ring) but it also causes inconsistent ignition due to a variable sized space behind the bullet prior to ignition.This can affect accuracy. Western Powder specifically recommends against using the muzzleloader primers with Blackhorn 209.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bobmn
Remington's Ultimate Muzzleloader Ignition Source features a U.M.L. ignition system, which uses a unique brass case with a Remington 9-1/2 large magnum rifle primer to completely seal the flash hole. This allows the shooter to load up to 200-gr. of powder for increased range, energy and accuracy. For use with the Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader only. I believe saddlesore is confusing it with Remington® Kleanbore® Muzzleloading 209 Primers. These are 209 sized primers that have a lower amount of priming compound then 209 shotgun primers. They were developed for blackpowder substitute pellets (777, pyrodex, etc.). The theory is that a shotgun 209 primer when fired behind a pellet can push the bullet up the bore a bit before the pellets are ignited. Not only will this increase fouling (crud ring) but it also causes inconsistent ignition due to a variable sized space behind the bullet prior to ignition.This can affect accuracy. Western Powder specifically recommends against using the muzzleloader primers with Blackhorn 209.

Yep, my bad. Hard to keep up with all this new techy stuff

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is from Page 13 of the 2018 Big Game Brochure, you can look it up on-line:

"Shotshell primers and B.O.R. Lock MZ System bullets are legal."

So it doesn't specifically address the Remington ignition system. I'd call the number listed on the cover of the big game brochure and ask the question, they're pretty good about getting you the answer to questions like this.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Now about this open sight thing......."
bwinters: Put a Weaver base on your Omega. Get a XS Ghost Ring backup sight that fits the Weaver rail. You will need a taller front sight. You can get some plastic sights from XS that fit in the front sight dovetail. Cut the plastic sight down to center your selected load for elevation and then buy a front sight of that height. You can also use a roofing nail filed to fit the dovetail. If your home state allows scopes when you get back from CO you will be all set to mount a scope.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why not just use the stock fiber optic sights? They work fine.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Someone makes a scope base that has a peep mounted on it so you can just take rings on/off without moving the peep. I think EABCO sells them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy likes Thor Bullets

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Shot quite few elk with platinum power belts 777

I highly suggest putting peep site on muzzle loader

Muzzle loader.com are great business to deal with

Last edited by ribka; 01/08/19.
C
C
I shoot a T/C Impact with 90 gr BH 209. Had a bear of a time finding anything that would group until I stumbled onto 320 gr Maxi Ball conicals. My Dad runs 120 gr BH 209 and Thor's in his T/C Pro Hunter, I've used that setup to take a cow at 73 yards with complete pass through.

I'm going to give the Federal Bore Locks a try this year, hoping the 270 gr copper bullets can group. I've moved away from lead in my center-fire and would like to do the same in my ML.

Also, I've been a big fan of using a peep sight with a globe sight in the front. Always felt the standard fiber optic sights blocked too much of my sight picture.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by COElkChaser
I shoot a T/C Impact with 90 gr BH 209. Had a bear of a time finding anything that would group until I stumbled onto 320 gr Maxi Ball conicals. My Dad runs 120 gr BH 209 and Thor's in his T/C Pro Hunter, I've used that setup to take a cow at 73 yards with complete pass through.

I'm going to give the Federal Bore Locks a try this year, hoping the 270 gr copper bullets can group. I've moved away from lead in my center-fire and would like to do the same in my ML.

Also, I've been a big fan of using a peep sight with a globe sight in the front. Always felt the standard fiber optic sights blocked too much of my sight picture.

Are you guys who can't get your T/Cs to shoot cleaning between every shot? I found that all three of mine shoot much better with a fouled bore.

On the peep vs. FO sight question, I'm just the opposite. I tried a peep but removed it, had a hard time using it in low light whereas the FO's are at their best in low light. And yes, the front bead will cover an area about the size of a soccer ball at 100 yards but that only matters when you're shooting targets, it's very easy IMO to center on an animal's chest, I've done it well over 100 yards more than once.

For shooting groups on paper I'm much more accurate with a large black "Shoot-n-see" target, the black circle is slightly larger than the front bead at 100 yards and it's easy to center the bead inside the circle, making for a much more precise hold and small groups on paper.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Someone makes a scope base that has a peep mounted on it so you can just take rings on/off without moving the peep. I think EABCO sells them

Williams Gunsight makes one.
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
C
For me at least, fouling the bore didn't seem to have any effect. I shot different powder loads with all sorts of different bullets and only had success with the 320 great Maxi-Balls. I even tried 370 gr Maxi-Balls but never got them inside 4" at 100 yards. The 320 gr would all be within 1.5".

A lot of guys will place blame on the QLA at the end of a T/C barrel. They claim they aren't properly aligned with the barrel and causes the bullet the come out un-centered. Not sure if there's any merit to that or not. Seems like stretch since most of these can find at least something the shoots well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A few years back I had 11 points and decided to use them all. Booked a hunt with Jeanne horn, had a great hunt and took a big 5x5 with my muzzle loader. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had points. I've killed elk with 3 different muzzle loaders, my current one being a TC omega, 348gr powerpoints, and 90 or 100grs of 777. Don't hesitate to use your muzzle loader for elk.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have personally seen an Encore barrel with the QLA so badly misaligned with the bore you could see it with the naked eye.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (808outdoors, 35, B52RadarNav, ar33c9, 10Glocks, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.