Home
Posted By: longarm Best bugle for Roosevelt - 04/04/19
Time to up my game, so to speak. I've been hunting with cow calls and while that's been somewhat effective I want to incorporate a bugle specific to these far West bulls.
What do you recommend?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Best bugle for Roosevelt - 04/04/19
tag.
Look at the phelps line of calls and bugles. Very popular for Roosevelts.

https://phelpsgamecalls.com/product-category/elk/
Not what you’re looking for, but if we’re talking about rifle hunting, skillful cow calling is upping your game. I’ve killed a lot more bulls through cow calling than through bugling.

If I could focus on a skill it would be cow calling.

P
Posted By: fredIII Re: Best bugle for Roosevelt - 04/07/19
Originally Posted by lazydrifter
Look at the phelps line of calls and bugles. Very popular for Roosevelts.

https://phelpsgamecalls.com/product-category/elk/

This.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Best bugle for Roosevelt - 04/07/19
Rifle or bow hunt?
Posted By: Judman Re: Best bugle for Roosevelt - 04/08/19
Another vote for Phelps
We’ve been making elk calls for about 35 years.... though none specifically designed for Roosevelt Elk. Our “Cow/Calf” and “HooDoo” have been killing Rocky Mountain elk for a long time... and I’ve got a small stock of our old “Spike Bugle” calls too. All of our elk calls come with several different reeds, so you can tune them to your liking.

I’ve got several sizes of call bodies, and dozens of different reed designs..... I’d love to put some in the hands of you Rosie hunters for a little R&D. I’ve never hunted Rosies personally, but I’ve been around them a bunch while hunting bears in the PNW. They don’t sound any different than our Rocky Mountain elk to me... but that’s a simple passing observation... I’m sure you seasoned West Coast elk guys may disagree.

Frud, Jud, Big Beave, Pharm.... if y’all want, I’ll send some bodies and reeds out to y’all.... just shoot me a PM.

We could name the call “Whole’lotta Rosie”....

Couple different elk calls we offer....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tejano Re: Best bugle for Roosevelt - 04/09/19
Been awhile since I listened to Roosevelt and the last one I heard was a Hoss 7x8 and he definitely sounded deeper than a Rocky Mt. Elk, or at least your average one. The other thing is on the Olympic Peninsula and a lot of the Roosevelt Elk range the woods are like a sound barrier with moss and vegetation everywhere. So to me a throatier sound that carries well may be the ticket. Not sure how you would tune for this as it seems the higher pitched sounds carry further.

I am no great shakes at bugling but I have spooked far fewer elk while cow calling than bugling.
Posted By: Judman Re: Best bugle for Roosevelt - 04/10/19
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
We’ve been making elk calls for about 35 years.... though none specifically designed for Roosevelt Elk. Our “Cow/Calf” and “HooDoo” have been killing Rocky Mountain elk for a long time... and I’ve got a small stock of our old “Spike Bugle” calls too. All of our elk calls come with several different reeds, so you can tune them to your liking.

I’ve got several sizes of call bodies, and dozens of different reed designs..... I’d love to put some in the hands of you Rosie hunters for a little R&D. I’ve never hunted Rosies personally, but I’ve been around them a bunch while hunting bears in the PNW. They don’t sound any different than our Rocky Mountain elk to me... but that’s a simple passing observation... I’m sure you seasoned West Coast elk guys may disagree.

Frud, Jud, Big Beave, Pharm.... if y’all want, I’ll send some bodies and reeds out to y’all.... just shoot me a PM.

We could name the call “Whole’lotta Rosie”....

Couple different elk calls we offer....

[Linked Image]

Thank you Josh, great offer!!
© 24hourcampfire