Print Thread
Hop To
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Time to up my game, so to speak. I've been hunting with cow calls and while that's been somewhat effective I want to incorporate a bugle specific to these far West bulls.
What do you recommend?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tag.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at the phelps line of calls and bugles. Very popular for Roosevelts.

https://phelpsgamecalls.com/product-category/elk/

Last edited by lazydrifter; 04/06/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not what you’re looking for, but if we’re talking about rifle hunting, skillful cow calling is upping your game. I’ve killed a lot more bulls through cow calling than through bugling.

If I could focus on a skill it would be cow calling.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by lazydrifter
Look at the phelps line of calls and bugles. Very popular for Roosevelts.

https://phelpsgamecalls.com/product-category/elk/

This.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rifle or bow hunt?

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another vote for Phelps

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We’ve been making elk calls for about 35 years.... though none specifically designed for Roosevelt Elk. Our “Cow/Calf” and “HooDoo” have been killing Rocky Mountain elk for a long time... and I’ve got a small stock of our old “Spike Bugle” calls too. All of our elk calls come with several different reeds, so you can tune them to your liking.

I’ve got several sizes of call bodies, and dozens of different reed designs..... I’d love to put some in the hands of you Rosie hunters for a little R&D. I’ve never hunted Rosies personally, but I’ve been around them a bunch while hunting bears in the PNW. They don’t sound any different than our Rocky Mountain elk to me... but that’s a simple passing observation... I’m sure you seasoned West Coast elk guys may disagree.

Frud, Jud, Big Beave, Pharm.... if y’all want, I’ll send some bodies and reeds out to y’all.... just shoot me a PM.

We could name the call “Whole’lotta Rosie”....

Couple different elk calls we offer....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been awhile since I listened to Roosevelt and the last one I heard was a Hoss 7x8 and he definitely sounded deeper than a Rocky Mt. Elk, or at least your average one. The other thing is on the Olympic Peninsula and a lot of the Roosevelt Elk range the woods are like a sound barrier with moss and vegetation everywhere. So to me a throatier sound that carries well may be the ticket. Not sure how you would tune for this as it seems the higher pitched sounds carry further.

I am no great shakes at bugling but I have spooked far fewer elk while cow calling than bugling.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
We’ve been making elk calls for about 35 years.... though none specifically designed for Roosevelt Elk. Our “Cow/Calf” and “HooDoo” have been killing Rocky Mountain elk for a long time... and I’ve got a small stock of our old “Spike Bugle” calls too. All of our elk calls come with several different reeds, so you can tune them to your liking.

I’ve got several sizes of call bodies, and dozens of different reed designs..... I’d love to put some in the hands of you Rosie hunters for a little R&D. I’ve never hunted Rosies personally, but I’ve been around them a bunch while hunting bears in the PNW. They don’t sound any different than our Rocky Mountain elk to me... but that’s a simple passing observation... I’m sure you seasoned West Coast elk guys may disagree.

Frud, Jud, Big Beave, Pharm.... if y’all want, I’ll send some bodies and reeds out to y’all.... just shoot me a PM.

We could name the call “Whole’lotta Rosie”....

Couple different elk calls we offer....

[Linked Image]

Thank you Josh, great offer!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.