Home
Posted By: Orion2000 KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/16/20
Sat through the full hour and half replay. 20th year for the KY Elk Drawing. 20th year to make a donation and come up empty... frown

The Commissioner dropped a teaser that they were working on "something" like a point system for folks who apply every year, but are not drawn. However, would not give details. All he would say is something coming in the next few weeks. During last year's drawing, they claimed there were only 6 people who had applied every year and never been drawn. Which was a bald faced lie. I know that many people. This year they admitted that there were approximately 100 people who had applied each year and never been drawn. Headed in the right direction. However, betting still under estimated.

Curious to see what kind of remedy or strategy they come up with... AND, if the remedy will give credit for 20 years of previous donations ???
Posted By: camdog Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/16/20

Doesn’t matter. Governor and Comrade Breshear will have all the Kentucky Elk in full lock-down this Fall.
Posted By: gutthooked Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/16/20
No luck for me either. Maybe next time. ....
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20
I was super lucky and was drawn for a firearm bull tag for the first week. Anyone have any guide suggestions?
Posted By: pointer Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20
Just say no to a point system! Whether that be preference or bonus. The pure random draw is the fairest, simplest way to administer a draw.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20
Originally Posted by JSmith62198
I was super lucky and was drawn for a firearm bull tag for the first week. Anyone have any guide suggestions?

LMO - Lost Mountain Outfitter always got good reviews, and posted up nice "Hero Pictures" when I followed the KY Hunting forum on a regular basis. Not cheap. But seem to have good success rate.

Originally Posted by pointer
Just say no to a point system! Whether that be preference or bonus. The pure random draw is the fairest, simplest way to administer a draw.

As someone who has contributed to the KY Elk Draw every year for the past 20 years, generally contributing to EVERY OPTION for most of those 20 years, I strongly disagree...
Posted By: lastround Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20

PM sent
Posted By: lastround Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20

Me too! Not drawn, but I was drawn in 2010 for a cow firearm tag, so I can’t feel as bad as those who have never been drawn.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
[quote=JSmith62198]I was super lucky and was drawn for a firearm bull tag for the first week. Anyone have any guide suggestions?

LMO - Lost Mountain Outfitter always got good reviews, and posted up nice "Hero Pictures" when I followed the KY Hunting forum on a regular basis. Not cheap. But seem to have good success rate.

I don’t mind paying if they have a good reputation and land access. I know it’s still hunting so nothing is guaranteed but I would like the odd to be as much in my favor as possible. It was like Christmas morning last night guest I saw the results so o stayed up looking at reviews and LMO seemed to be the best option. I am just wondering how expensive it will be.

Thanks,
J
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20
... I don’t mind paying if they have a good reputation and land access. I know it’s still hunting so nothing is guaranteed but I would like the odd to be as much in my favor as possible. It was like Christmas morning last night guest I saw the results so o stayed up looking at reviews and LMO seemed to be the best option. I am just wondering how expensive it will be.

Thanks, J

"My understanding" there are private and public lands available in SE KY to hunt elk. However, the strip mine reclaims comprise much of the prime habitat. And the guide services have leased up most of the reclaims with the coal companies. Made up my mind long ago that if I ever got lucky and drew a KY Elk tag, I would spend the extra money on a guide service to ensure I had a reasonable chance at a representative animal.

LMO is not the only option. I am guessing not the low cost option. However they have (had?) a good rep on the KY Hunting forum for good success and easy to work with.
It seems they get the most mentions as well as Beaver Creek. I have seen it pop up multiple times. I plan to use a guide. It just makes the most sense with how hard it is to get a bull tag.
Posted By: smokepole Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20
[quote=JSmith62198]I was super lucky and was drawn for a firearm bull tag for the first week. Anyone have any guide suggestions?

I don’t mind paying if they have a good reputation and land access. I know it’s still hunting so nothing is guaranteed but I would like the odd to be as much in my favor as possible.

Nothing wrong with that, it'll be a while before you get another chance.

The odds on drawing your elk tags sound about like the odds on our moose out here, Draw one, and thank your lucky stars. So, congratulations and good luck!!
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20
It’s always funny how the celebs get to hunt KY. Meateater, the most popular outdoor show right now, got a tag given to him by RMEF and he shot a nice bull. Stated it on the show....RMEF gave him a bull tag. Ain’t life funny?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/17/20
Originally Posted by Godogs57
It’s always funny how the celebs get to hunt KY. Meateater, the most popular outdoor show right now, got a tag given to him by RMEF and he shot a nice bull. Stated it on the show....RMEF gave him a bull tag. Ain’t life funny?

Since there wouldn't be elk in KY without RMEF, I'm not sure why you are gassed up about them getting a tag? I'm betting they can get one anytime they want.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/18/20
Double edged sword, Timber runner.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/18/20
I only apply for bull firearm. I’d love to get drawn. But I’m not losing sleep over it. I know enough “common people” with zero connections that have been drawn. So the thought that it’s rigged doesn’t really enter my mind. And if it is.....it is.
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/18/20
I am not connected to anyone, and have only applied for two years so I don’t think it’s rigged. But I’ve been wrong once before.
Posted By: smokepole Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/18/20
I am not connected to anyone, and have only applied for two years so I don’t think it’s rigged. But I’ve been wrong once before.

Me too. It was back in '62........
Posted By: pointer Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/18/20

As someone who has contributed to the KY Elk Draw every year for the past 20 years, generally contributing to EVERY OPTION for most of those 20 years, I strongly disagree...

I've read that their were something like 90K applicants for 600 tags. A points system, even a preference points system, would not improve your odds much an in no way would guarantee that you'd draw. But, would likely make sure that those that come after you have even worse odds than you did for the past 20yrs. I play the points game in multiple states as that's the hand I'm dealt, but I am not a fan at all of them.
Posted By: iddave Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/18/20

I've read that their were something like 90K applicants for 600 tags. A points system, even a preference points system, would not improve your odds much an in no way would guarantee that you'd draw. But, would likely make sure that those that come after you have even worse odds than you did for the past 20yrs. I play the points game in multiple states as that's the hand I'm dealt, but I am not a fan at all of them.

This. People think they are "guaranteed" a tag with a point system over time. That's a notable fallacy. All a point system does is guarantee you to be lighter in the wallet. Sure, it will improve your odds for those "medium" draw odd tags, but statisiticlly speaking you'd likely draw it over time anyway. Nothing more "fair" than everyone gets their name thrown in the hat, plus it doesn't screw all new hunters (kids) entering the system.

Dave
Posted By: Heavybullets Re: KY Elk Draw Blues... - 05/18/20
A point system, under any variation is nothing more than a cash cow for Fish and Game Dept' s where ever they exist. The Idaho F&G dept has been trying to get one of those scams approved for years only to be shot down more than once. We have read the stories of hunters applying for draws for 30 yrs with preference pts. and still slim chance of success because there are so many hunters in the same situation. An absolutely random drawing is the only fair way . Stop buying new pickups for over staffed F&G departments with your Bonus pt. money!
Petition your state legislature to get rid of the point systems!. Soon you'll hear F&G Departments saying you can pass your points down to the next generation when you die. Don't buy into that.
Your kid won't live long enough to get drawn either. Get rid of those money making scams!
just my opinion, guys
GoodHunting
Lj
© 24hourcampfire