Home
Posted By: shootem Which magazine - 12/22/20
Buying some 30 round 5.56 mags while the price is reasonable. Pmag Gen2 are still available at $12 to $13 each in a 10 pack. The new Amend 2 is even less at $10.99 each. Both have positive reviews as far as I can see. No “they suck” at all. Anybody have a first hand user opinion to offer? I ‘spect these prices won’t last into January. Amend 2 also has Glock mags with good reviews. Their G17 mag holds 18 rounds and sells around $14 IIRC. I WILL be picking up 3 or 4 of those and running rounds soon as time allows. They also have G19 versions. Any feedback there appreciated as well. Thx
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
There’s no reason to buy anything but Pmags in plastic. For metal mags you can look for D&H or rebranded D&H mags with Magpul followers. DSG usually has the metal mags at good prices.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
At this point you're looking for resale at $$
Posted By: TWR Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
I had not heard of Amend 2 magazines but just caught a few reviews. Not what I would call confidence inspiring.

At the price, Magpul are hard to beat and I have been using their $12 Glock mags with zero issues as well.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
If your pmag gen2s fail to drop free, a touch of sanding on the front face of the mag where it goes up in the mag well will most likely cure it.
Posted By: 270winchester Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
I bought an Amend 2 mag (30 rnd) a while back because it was ten bucks, had good online reviews and made here in Idaho but after leaving it loaded for a couple months it wouldn't "drop free" empty or even with 20 rounds in it because the body swelled out. The plastic body feels thin and cheap. Personally, my go-to mags now are the Lancer Hybrid 30 round mags, zero problems with them. Also, I have read and experienced the gen 2 P-mags cracking feed lips but only the non-black colored ones, something about the coloring process weakening the plastic?
Posted By: shootem Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
Well never mind the Amend 2. Are the Gen 3 Pmags worth the extra few bucks over the Gen 2. Better function, plastic etc?
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/magpul-pmag-m2-vs-m3/
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
I have been gifted several metal mags, the ones I bought are Magpul.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
Pmags are good and cheap...I prefer the Lancers, but they aren't as cheap, therefore I have more Pmags.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
"Colt"/OKAY/NHMTG have better looking welds than D&H, Brownells.

Never had a weld failure with the D&H/Brownells, and put several through many use cycles at shoots. But some required light feed lip file dressing for reliable top round steel-case feeding. Not a big deal - less time to do than to type.

New OKAY/NHMTGs required nothing.
I have more Gen 2’s but I actually prefer the gen 3’s especially the 20’s.

Magazines are cheap compared to pre 2004 so buy while you can.

Thanks puti. Covered it. Seems nobody here has a problem at all with them. Think I just decided on a few of their G17 mags too. There was a link to that article on the page. Afraid TWR hit it too. Buy while you can. If/when Jo & the Ho get in there'll be a serious run on arm braces, binary triggers, uppers, lowers, AR15s, magazines and shovels. I'm buying today
Any real world advantage in the molded in steel feed lips on the Lancer?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
Originally Posted by shootem
If/when Jo & the Ho get in there'll be a serious run on arm braces, binary triggers, uppers, lowers, AR15s, magazines and shovels. I'm buying today
Forget the arm braces and binary triggers.
Any real world advantage in the molded in steel feed lips on the Lancer?

Never mind. Went Pmag Gen3. Brownells has them for 10/$142. Got that and Pmag G17 mags 3/$38. Google "Brownells Coupons" and a list of active discounts will come up. I used one that was $15 off a $150 order. So total shipped for 10 Gen3 Pmags and 3 Glock17 Pmags was $184. The Lancer 30 rnd mags were only a dollar each more if you like them 10/$152 IIRC.

gunmagwarehouse still has decent prices on Pmag and some Lancer.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Which magazine - 12/22/20
I'm old school and like the Brownells 30 round metal mags. I have never had an issue with them. Having many options is a good thing. I have some Lancer 20 round mags with the steel lips. No issues with them either.

kwg
Originally Posted by UPhiker
If/when Jo & the Ho get in there'll be a serious run on arm braces, binary triggers, uppers, lowers, AR15s, magazines and shovels. I'm buying today

Binarys are apparently in demand. Couldn't believe what this one went for:

Fostech Echo Binary SOLD
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Binarys are apparently in demand. Couldn't believe what this one went for:

Fostech Echo Binary SOLD

So? Only hits count.
People are stupid, $604 for a binary trigger? Why?
Originally Posted by TWR
People are stupid, $604 for a binary trigger? Why?

Like you said---people are stupid. People like the "coolness" factor. They are the ones who brag about going to the range to do "mag dumps".
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Which magazine - 12/23/20
The Gen 3 P-mags are worth the difference over the Gen 2's, but Gen 2's function just fine; Lancers are better yet.

MM
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Which magazine - 12/23/20
Brownell's, lockedandloaded, and preppergunshop (last June) is where I stocked up on my Pmag M3's. Got steel ASC mags for the 6.8 from CDNN.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Which magazine - 12/23/20
Have quite a variety my self but my pmag are gen 2 think of getting more for all the obvious reasons. Last year I lucked into a couple of 20 rd asc mags stick all ways promotes. They do work nice which brings the question that no one here are talking about them any particular reason? Mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Have quite a variety my self but my pmag are gen 2 think of getting more for all the obvious reasons. Last year I lucked into a couple of 20 rd asc mags stick all ways promotes. They do work nice which brings the question that no one here are talking about them any particular reason? Mb

I only have the ASC mags for my 6.8. But, they work great and seem to be well built. I haven't been bouncing any off the ground while in a rifle, though, like Rob Ski at AK Operators Union. smile
Brownell's deal on Magpul M2 magazines.

10 Magpul MAGPUL 30-Round PMAG GEN M2 MOE - $109.99 with code "PTT" + S/H

https://gun.deals/product/magpul-ar-15-30rd-pmag-10-pack-13999

https://www.brownells.com/magazines...p;utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Which magazine - 12/23/20
Ld do stripper clip shoes fit on gen 3 mags any better than the gen 2 ones? Mb
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Which magazine - 12/24/20
Bob, don't know. Don't use them.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Which magazine - 12/24/20
I got a lot of brass loaded with 55gr fmj's for just shooting, no small amount of 55 gr Hornady sp's for pd's and varminting. Bought a 100 ct box of berry's 50 rd boxes still got loose rds. A couple years back I run into a woman who was liquidating her late husband's "stuff" at a gunshow she had a cardboard box full of 10 rd gi strippers and 8-10 shoes. She wanted a buck for 10 strippers, I said make me a deal on the box she laughed held out her hand and said you have a 20? I have used a 100 of those and not even dented the level in that box. I figured if they are good enough to send our service people with off to the wars, they damned sure good enough for me for packaging for a fast mag reload just takes practice to do so. The shoe goes on a metal mag pretty good and even better if you fine tune the corners on the shoe with file work. The shoe slides on a gen 2 damn hard. That is why I asked. Mb
Posted By: TWR Re: Which magazine - 12/24/20
I’ll go check

Pretty dang tight, I’d use GI mags.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Definetly tight, with a few strokes of a file a guy could take some off the shoe lips then paint it to code it to magpul. Makes me wonder what are service guys did who had magpuls in Iraq? Or does everyone on here use something else for reloading mags in a hurry? MB
I haven’t heard of anyone using stripper clips in a long time.

I use a LULA loader if I’m loading lots of mags. Even got an UPLULA for pistol mags.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Which magazine - 12/24/20
Very few of my mags would be loaded to max capacity without my LULAs. Thumbs just can't handle it anymore.
I thought they were just something else to separate fools and money until I used one.
Well I just spent some time watching some you tube vids on lulas etc. That bench model is incredible.back to the op's question on best mags can anyone offer up opinions on the mags with the most resilient springs against fatigue caused by mags left loaded for a long period? Mb
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Which magazine - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well I just spent some time watching some you tube vids on lulas etc. That bench model is incredible.back to the op's question on best mags can anyone offer up opinions on the mags with the most resilient springs against fatigue caused by mags left loaded for a long period? Mb

Bob, I'm no expert. But, I've looked at a lot of input out there and boiled it all down to just loading 30 rd mags to 28 rds.

Hopefully, the sun, the moon and the stars come together there.
I’ve got a 20 round USGI mag that was used when I got it and it’s been loaded and stashed in my truck since new in 06, before that it rode in my 95. I pull it out from time to time and shoot it, reload it and it goes back in the truck. Never had a problem.

Got Magpul’s that have been loaded and stashed around the house since we moved in in 03 I think. Same with them I grab a few and go shoot, reload and put em back. Never a problem.

I’ve read that springs wear out due to using them, not from keeping them compressed. From what I can tell, they are right.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Which magazine - 12/24/20
I use strippers a lot, and yes they work just fine on Pmags.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Which magazine - 12/25/20
Well went to town and bought some magpul gen 3 30 rd window mags .Bought the. Gen 2 ar15 m4 lula loader. Wow it is slick can load mags watch tv and drink beer at the same time. No more scraped fingers or knuckles. I'll still use my 10 rd strippers for fmj rd storage and ease of transport. Mb
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Which magazine - 12/25/20
Anybody have a first hand user opinion to offer? I ‘spect these prices won’t last into January. Amend 2 also has Glock mags with good reviews.

PSA has D&H on sale for $99.99 for a pack of ten, with free shipping.

I like Lancers, but don't kick down doors for a living or have any other experience along those lines. I've used PMAG, C-Products, old GI, etc. Various followers too. The only mag that I didn't like was an MFT.

My buddy just got out of the Army as a squad leader, and I asked him what he and his flying squirrel buddies like for mags a few months ago, as I was shopping while prices were low as well. He wrote back, "You will strip the feedlips on polymer ones then they are useless. P-Mags also hate the sand since the tolerances are too tight and the follower will get stuck on 1 piece of the smallest piece of sand."

He said that they liked BCM and D&H. I believe BCM are actually D&H.

I take all opinions with a heaping of salt, and collect a variety of mags for the long-term. Some polymer, some metal, and some Lancer.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: Which magazine - 12/25/20
I like P-mags 20 rounders, seem just right for my ar's for me, 30's are a bit long even though i have a bunch.
I also like Lancers 20 rounders. Nice looking mag.
Posted By: shootem Re: Which magazine - 12/26/20
"You will strip the feedlips on polymer ones then they are useless

So maybe the imbedded steel lips on Lancers are worth the small difference in price?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Which magazine - 12/26/20
"You will strip the feedlips on polymer ones then they are useless

So maybe the imbedded steel lips on Lancers are worth the small difference in price?

You don't know how many thousands of rounds issued military mags have through them. As a civilian, I highly doubt that you don't have to worry about it. As far as evil sand, I live in Michigan, not the Middle East, so I don't worry about it unless I'm planning on getting in a firefight on the beach.
Posted By: liliysdad Re: Which magazine - 12/26/20
I'd love for someone to explain what the hell "stripping the feedlips" is....
Posted By: TWR Re: Which magazine - 12/26/20
When I was a young kid, I had an uncle come back from the army and he told me his M16 was made by Mattel... doesn’t mean it was true.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Which magazine - 12/26/20
Feed lips do wear on any plastic mag. They can also develop cracks, especially at rear. Not a knock. They take a beating, but when symptomatic you get double (live round) feeds, or loose rounds on slight impact. There is a reason P-mags come with covers.

Some are old enough to remember imported Orlites commonly available decades ago. They weren't new. Most were very well used, cleaned up. The sometimes heavy prior use gave them an undeserved bad reputation. But if you had enough examples, you could see it was a matter of heavy use to some of them. My "good" Orlites worked for decades in my 16s. Couldn't kill them. Ended up giving them to a friend "behind enemy lines" so to speak who needed pre-ban mags. My "bad" Orlites were bad right out of the gate. Close inspection with magnifier showed why.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Which magazine - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I'd love for someone to explain what the hell "stripping the feedlips" is....

I'll see him on the 1st, and ask him in detail. I know that he used to like PMAGS before he served, so I was surprised to hear that they are considered a no-go for "work" use. I want to say that they were flat out not allowed, but again, I'll ask him in person for more info. And as mentioned above, it is probably not relevant for 99.99% of shooters. We're not talking combat in some foreign land.

My concern, which might be unfounded, is how well the polymer holds up over decades? Probably fine, and I don't worry about Glocks or other polymer pistols. But I still keep a good supply of metal magazines. Why not? Cheap insurance, if we are really "stocking up" for whatever we think is about to come.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Which magazine - 12/26/20
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Feed lips do wear on any plastic mag. They can also develop cracks, especially at rear. Not a knock. They take a beating, but when symptomatic you get double (live round) feeds, or loose rounds on slight impact. There is a reason P-mags come with covers.

Makes sense, thanks for the info. At least one manufacturer has cycle tested their polymer mags (not AR mags), and there are expected life numbers. They are considered a "wear" item, but I don't think any of it gets publicly disclosed though.

I still own PMAGS, along with other brands/designs.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
Watched a news feed a couple days ago and noticed a window P Mag in a soldiers M4. He must have missed the memo that they flat out aren't allowed.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
Watched a news feed a couple days ago and noticed a window P Mag in a soldiers M4. He must have missed the memo that they flat out aren't allowed.

Along with the Marines...
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/marines-get-groundbreaking-unstoppable-new-rifle-magazine
Posted By: Hudge Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20

Up until around 2008 or so, most branches did not allow PMags. I know my last deployment I carried an M9, but the Army guys I worked with were happy they could carry PMags. I know before, many guys were having their wife, girlfriend, or anyone else that would send them to them. Some of the crappy Colt mags I was issued were so worn out, I was glad I never had to use them. I’m pretty sure PMags are standard issue items for most branches now. Someone like 79S could tell us for sure. I know my son is leaving and he said they can buy their own PMags, but the unit will not provide them.
Posted By: 79S Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by Hudge

Up until around 2008 or so, most branches did not allow PMags. I know my last deployment I carried an M9, but the Army guys I worked with were happy they could carry PMags. I know before, many guys were having their wife, girlfriend, or anyone else that would send them to them. Some of the crappy Colt mags I was issued were so worn out, I was glad I never had to use them. I’m pretty sure PMags are standard issue items for most branches now. Someone like 79S could tell us for sure. I know my son is leaving and he said they can buy their own PMags, but the unit will not provide them.

I want to say it was 2011 time frame uncle sugar pushed a safety message about pmags and only authorized magazines were the Army issued one. I think those pmags were susceptible to cracking.. Before that Army really didn’t care what magazine you carried as long as you didn’t have black follower aluminum mags those were a no go. Green follower only or pmags.. But majority of joes at the time 2001 right up to 2003 Iraq, put a lot of faith into the army issue mags. The pmags has a way better anti tilt followers than the green follower army issued magazines. Then by 2008-2009 the Army had a new and improved follower it was tan and no real need for pmags ... unless you just wanted to look cool, the tan follower army issued mags are a real good magazine.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
https://www.military.com/daily-news...d-enhanced-gi-magazine-fielded-2016.html

With all due respect to those who are serving, any time I hear “my buddy who was in the army said....” I immediately ignore whatever follows that.

For starters, most guys in the military have no idea how their rifles actually work or what makes them stop working. Honestly, it’s incredibly rare to even find one who can shoot exceptionally well. If they don’t know how they work, and most are minimally proficient at using them, why should we bother with what they think about them?

Especially when that “insider knowledge” flies in the face of objective, long term, verified testing.
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

With all due respect to those who are serving, any time I hear “my buddy who was in the army said....” I immediately ignore whatever follows that.

For starters, most guys in the military have no idea how their rifles actually work or what makes them stop working. Honestly, it’s incredibly rare to even find one who can shoot exceptionally well. If they don’t know how they work, and most are minimally proficient at using them, why should we bother with what they think about them?

Especially when that “insider knowledge” flies in the face of objective, long term, verified testing.

Yeah it’s a miracle the Army could win any battles in Iraq or Afghanistan with as many inept Soldiers as we have..
My buddy was a Grunt, sniper qualified all around good dude. He swears by pmags that’s all he will buy.. Anyhow he was in OP hotel 2005 ol haj even recorded the attack.. It’s a miracle none of them young men died that day including my friend..

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah it’s a miracle the Army could win any battles in Iraq or Afghanistan with as many inept Soldiers as we have..

Geez J. Are you an "inept" pos? ha ha..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

Geez J. Are you an "inept" pos? ha ha..

I can barely tie my shoes..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by 79S
My buddy was a Grunt, sniper qualified all around good dude. He swears by pmags that’s all he will buy.. Anyhow he was in OP hotel 2005 ol haj even recorded the attack.. It’s a miracle none of them young men died that day including my friend..

I will also say nothing wrong pmags. I prefer the 20 rounders myself. Has anyone messed with those MFT mags? The only amend 2 mags I have are for G17 I thrown them at the ground the wall at our local range they seem to work just fine. But for a $1 dollar more I can get magpul G17 mags.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vi...me-to-bahgdads-very-own-hotel-california

Right next to hotel California was 1st Armor Division HQ parked out front Division HQ were 2 M1 Abrams tanks, I had friend who was a tanker in 1-32 a tank bn in one 1AD brigades. I asked him about those tanks he told me those 2 tanks had rounds in the tube ready. I was like damn now that’s some security. Lol too be young again and go to
War..
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20

I totally agree, the info in my posts is unsubstantiated. And I don't know you guys, so you can't judge my statements against personal history.

However, for the record, the young man has also been involved in firsthand weapon and optic testing for the Army.

I'll just leave it at that. If anyone wants more info, send me a PM. No need to waste my time or yours, with blanket statements that don't apply grin
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
Well the gen 3 coyote tan window mags are what I bought and they load sweet with the lula. Maybe they have a newer generation of stripper shoes to use with them but my old fit to damn tight for expedient use. Mb
Originally Posted by 79S

Easy there, killer.

Nobody called soldiers inept. I said that most don’t understand how their rifles actually work. And that’s true. That doesn’t make them inept at war fighting, it just means they’re not a go-to source for what makes a rifle work.

Lots of exceptional craftsmen build incredible things without knowing exactly how to repair their broken power tools. Same same.

And be real honest, in all of the army infantry...how common is it to find a soldier who shoots exceptionally well? Not “I qualified” or even “I qualified really well by military standards”, but “that guy is a truly exceptional shooter”. Is it common or rare? Taking the infantry as a whole, we both know it’s rare.

And the average infantryman doesn’t have to be an exceptional shot or possess armorer level knowledge to win a gunfight, or for the army to win a battle.

But you already knew that, too. So spare us the straw man.
Bluedreaux,

Since we are verifying sources, I'm wondering if you can detail your qualifications and why your opinions are to be trusted regarding the AR15 platform? I don't frequent this forum that much, so if I missed it, I apologize.

To be totally upfront, I have valued some of your posts over the years. That said, I don't know if you're the resident guru, or the forum bully grin

IIRC, you are an instructor of some sort? If so, are you willing to elaborate?

Thanks,

J
Originally Posted by 79S

Easy there, killer.

Nobody called soldiers inept. I said that most don’t understand how their rifles actually work. And that’s true. That doesn’t make them inept at war fighting, it just means they’re not a go-to source for what makes a rifle work.

Lots of exceptional craftsmen build incredible things without knowing exactly how to repair their broken power tools. Same same.

And be real honest, in all of the army infantry...how common is it to find a soldier who shoots exceptionally well? Not “I qualified” or even “I qualified really well by military standards”, but “that guy is a truly exceptional shooter”. Is it common or rare? Taking the infantry as a whole, we both know it’s rare.

And the average infantryman doesn’t have to be an exceptional shot or possess armorer level knowledge to win a gunfight, or for the army to win a battle.

But you already knew that, too. So spare us the straw man.

Only thing I’m killing are cookies and apple pie..

Besides I’m 5 days from retirement my last bn was an Artillery Battalion.. Not in the know far as what them infantrymen are upto far as qualifying. I do know they live on the ranges here at Ft Richardson and Ft Greely..
I’ve posted as much as I’m going to pretty recently and I’m not going to again. Folks are willing to ignore or dismiss anything or everything I say. The internet is a big place and I’m just some guy.

Folks are also welcome to point out where I’m wrong or give out bad advice.
I’ve posted as much as I’m going to pretty recently and I’m not going to again. Folks are willing to ignore or dismiss anything or everything I say. The internet is a big place and I’m just some guy.

You will get no argument out of me far as magpul mags. They are a great mag and I will say most commands turn a blind eye to what the joes are carrying far as magazines.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20

Thanks for coming in and posting Bluedreaux. I for one appreciate your contributions on this forum and look forward to your posts .
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Thanks for coming in and posting Bluedreaux. I for one appreciate your contributions on this forum and look forward to your posts .

And I love your movie star hair!
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Same Same mb
Posted By: TWR Re: Which magazine - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Bluedreaux,

Since we are verifying sources, I'm wondering if you can detail your qualifications and why your opinions are to be trusted regarding the AR15 platform? I don't frequent this forum that much, so if I missed it, I apologize.

To be totally upfront, I have valued some of your posts over the years. That said, I don't know if you're the resident guru, or the forum bully grin

IIRC, you are an instructor of some sort? If so, are you willing to elaborate?

Thanks,

J

Don’t you recognize his avatar pic?
I would’ve answered earlier, but I was inverted.

Thanks for the post. I don't know why I had mil/leo carbine instructor in my head. I still respect your stated position, and like I mentioned earlier, I do appreciate your posts.

Maybe some of the Army guys are still stuck on the cold weather drop tests where the PMAG feed lips cracked. The mag still functioned, and the ambient temperature specified for the test is extreme. Maybe just biased.

Jason
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Which magazine - 12/28/20
Originally Posted by 79S

Right next to hotel California was 1st Armor Division HQ parked out front Division HQ were 2 M1 Abrams tanks, I had friend who was a tanker in 1-32 a tank bn in one 1AD brigades. I asked him about those tanks he told me those 2 tanks had rounds in the tube ready.

A Division Headquarters that close to the action, even during the early years of OIF?

I thought Headquarter units were at bases like Blue Diamond. Places that were a ways behind the wire and were only subject to those hail Mary mortars and Chinese 107 rockets.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Which magazine - 12/28/20
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Thanks for the post. I don't know why I had mil/leo carbine instructor in my head. I still respect your stated position, and like I mentioned earlier, I do appreciate your posts.

Maybe some of the Army guys are still stuck on the cold weather drop tests where the PMAG feed lips cracked. The mag still functioned, and the ambient temperature specified for the test is extreme. Maybe just biased.

Jason

Gen II PMAGs were available at the outpost PXs, and had a reputation for cracking and swelling, but you could buy them if you needed to - both in Iraq and in Afghanistan.

Some were used to fill unit shortages, some were issued to the Ops types, and a lot were bought "just because".

Use them hard - they wore out, I have Glock magazines that do the same thing - drop a metal mag enough, and it will dent or bend a feed lip and be just as unusable.

The Safety Message that 79S refers to banned "all" poly magazines - not just PMAGs - in April 2012, this affected Troy and number of other magazine suppliers.

The Army corrected the message within a month or two - as the PMAG was already in the supply system with an NSN for ordering and issue.

As of 2017, the Army authorized the PMAG GEN 3 for issue and replacement.
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Which magazine - 12/28/20
I like Okay magazines for aluminum type and and Magpul Gen 3 Pmags for polymer. If cost is an issue Brownells or D&H in aluminum orMagpul Gen 2 Pmags in polymer.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Which magazine - 12/29/20
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Gen II PMAGs were available at the outpost PXs, and had a reputation for cracking and swelling, but you could buy them if you needed to - both in Iraq and in Afghanistan.

Some were used to fill unit shortages, some were issued to the Ops types, and a lot were bought "just because".

Use them hard - they wore out, I have Glock magazines that do the same thing - drop a metal mag enough, and it will dent or bend a feed lip and be just as unusable.

The Safety Message that 79S refers to banned "all" poly magazines - not just PMAGs - in April 2012, this affected Troy and number of other magazine suppliers.

The Army corrected the message within a month or two - as the PMAG was already in the supply system with an NSN for ordering and issue.

As of 2017, the Army authorized the PMAG GEN 3 for issue and replacement.

Thanks for the info, AH64.

Your handle caught my attention. I just got back from shooting, and on the drive back just now was listening to Greg Coker talk about AH64 and AH6 missions. Some kick ass dudes.

Jason
Posted By: LeadHead76 Re: Which magazine - 01/01/21
binary trigger seems like an accident waiting to happen
© 24hourcampfire