Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
https://www.military.com/daily-news...d-enhanced-gi-magazine-fielded-2016.html

With all due respect to those who are serving, any time I hear “my buddy who was in the army said....” I immediately ignore whatever follows that.

For starters, most guys in the military have no idea how their rifles actually work or what makes them stop working. Honestly, it’s incredibly rare to even find one who can shoot exceptionally well. If they don’t know how they work, and most are minimally proficient at using them, why should we bother with what they think about them?

Especially when that “insider knowledge” flies in the face of objective, long term, verified testing.

I totally agree, the info in my posts is unsubstantiated. And I don't know you guys, so you can't judge my statements against personal history.

However, for the record, the young man has also been involved in firsthand weapon and optic testing for the Army.

I'll just leave it at that. If anyone wants more info, send me a PM. No need to waste my time or yours, with blanket statements that don't apply grin

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well the gen 3 coyote tan window mags are what I bought and they load sweet with the lula. Maybe they have a newer generation of stripper shoes to use with them but my old fit to damn tight for expedient use. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah it’s a miracle the Army could win any battles in Iraq or Afghanistan with as many inept Soldiers as we have..

Easy there, killer.

Nobody called soldiers inept. I said that most don’t understand how their rifles actually work. And that’s true. That doesn’t make them inept at war fighting, it just means they’re not a go-to source for what makes a rifle work.

Lots of exceptional craftsmen build incredible things without knowing exactly how to repair their broken power tools. Same same.

And be real honest, in all of the army infantry...how common is it to find a soldier who shoots exceptionally well? Not “I qualified” or even “I qualified really well by military standards”, but “that guy is a truly exceptional shooter”. Is it common or rare? Taking the infantry as a whole, we both know it’s rare.

And the average infantryman doesn’t have to be an exceptional shot or possess armorer level knowledge to win a gunfight, or for the army to win a battle.

But you already knew that, too. So spare us the straw man.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bluedreaux,

Since we are verifying sources, I'm wondering if you can detail your qualifications and why your opinions are to be trusted regarding the AR15 platform? I don't frequent this forum that much, so if I missed it, I apologize.

To be totally upfront, I have valued some of your posts over the years. That said, I don't know if you're the resident guru, or the forum bully grin

IIRC, you are an instructor of some sort? If so, are you willing to elaborate?

Thanks,

J

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah it’s a miracle the Army could win any battles in Iraq or Afghanistan with as many inept Soldiers as we have..

Easy there, killer.

Nobody called soldiers inept. I said that most don’t understand how their rifles actually work. And that’s true. That doesn’t make them inept at war fighting, it just means they’re not a go-to source for what makes a rifle work.

Lots of exceptional craftsmen build incredible things without knowing exactly how to repair their broken power tools. Same same.

And be real honest, in all of the army infantry...how common is it to find a soldier who shoots exceptionally well? Not “I qualified” or even “I qualified really well by military standards”, but “that guy is a truly exceptional shooter”. Is it common or rare? Taking the infantry as a whole, we both know it’s rare.

And the average infantryman doesn’t have to be an exceptional shot or possess armorer level knowledge to win a gunfight, or for the army to win a battle.

But you already knew that, too. So spare us the straw man.

Only thing I’m killing are cookies and apple pie..

Besides I’m 5 days from retirement my last bn was an Artillery Battalion.. Not in the know far as what them infantrymen are upto far as qualifying. I do know they live on the ranges here at Ft Richardson and Ft Greely..

Last edited by 79S; 12/26/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve posted as much as I’m going to pretty recently and I’m not going to again. Folks are willing to ignore or dismiss anything or everything I say. The internet is a big place and I’m just some guy.

Folks are also welcome to point out where I’m wrong or give out bad advice.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve posted as much as I’m going to pretty recently and I’m not going to again. Folks are willing to ignore or dismiss anything or everything I say. The internet is a big place and I’m just some guy.

You will get no argument out of me far as magpul mags. They are a great mag and I will say most commands turn a blind eye to what the joes are carrying far as magazines.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Thanks for coming in and posting Bluedreaux. I for one appreciate your contributions on this forum and look forward to your posts .

MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Thanks for coming in and posting Bluedreaux. I for one appreciate your contributions on this forum and look forward to your posts .

And I love your movie star hair!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Same Same mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Bluedreaux,

Since we are verifying sources, I'm wondering if you can detail your qualifications and why your opinions are to be trusted regarding the AR15 platform? I don't frequent this forum that much, so if I missed it, I apologize.

To be totally upfront, I have valued some of your posts over the years. That said, I don't know if you're the resident guru, or the forum bully grin

IIRC, you are an instructor of some sort? If so, are you willing to elaborate?

Thanks,

J

Don’t you recognize his avatar pic?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would’ve answered earlier, but I was inverted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks for the post. I don't know why I had mil/leo carbine instructor in my head. I still respect your stated position, and like I mentioned earlier, I do appreciate your posts.

Maybe some of the Army guys are still stuck on the cold weather drop tests where the PMAG feed lips cracked. The mag still functioned, and the ambient temperature specified for the test is extreme. Maybe just biased.

Jason

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Right next to hotel California was 1st Armor Division HQ parked out front Division HQ were 2 M1 Abrams tanks, I had friend who was a tanker in 1-32 a tank bn in one 1AD brigades. I asked him about those tanks he told me those 2 tanks had rounds in the tube ready.

A Division Headquarters that close to the action, even during the early years of OIF?

I thought Headquarter units were at bases like Blue Diamond. Places that were a ways behind the wire and were only subject to those hail Mary mortars and Chinese 107 rockets.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Thanks for the post. I don't know why I had mil/leo carbine instructor in my head. I still respect your stated position, and like I mentioned earlier, I do appreciate your posts.

Maybe some of the Army guys are still stuck on the cold weather drop tests where the PMAG feed lips cracked. The mag still functioned, and the ambient temperature specified for the test is extreme. Maybe just biased.

Jason

Gen II PMAGs were available at the outpost PXs, and had a reputation for cracking and swelling, but you could buy them if you needed to - both in Iraq and in Afghanistan.

Some were used to fill unit shortages, some were issued to the Ops types, and a lot were bought "just because".

Use them hard - they wore out, I have Glock magazines that do the same thing - drop a metal mag enough, and it will dent or bend a feed lip and be just as unusable.

The Safety Message that 79S refers to banned "all" poly magazines - not just PMAGs - in April 2012, this affected Troy and number of other magazine suppliers.

The Army corrected the message within a month or two - as the PMAG was already in the supply system with an NSN for ordering and issue.

As of 2017, the Army authorized the PMAG GEN 3 for issue and replacement.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/28/20.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I like Okay magazines for aluminum type and and Magpul Gen 3 Pmags for polymer. If cost is an issue Brownells or D&H in aluminum orMagpul Gen 2 Pmags in polymer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Gen II PMAGs were available at the outpost PXs, and had a reputation for cracking and swelling, but you could buy them if you needed to - both in Iraq and in Afghanistan.

Some were used to fill unit shortages, some were issued to the Ops types, and a lot were bought "just because".

Use them hard - they wore out, I have Glock magazines that do the same thing - drop a metal mag enough, and it will dent or bend a feed lip and be just as unusable.

The Safety Message that 79S refers to banned "all" poly magazines - not just PMAGs - in April 2012, this affected Troy and number of other magazine suppliers.

The Army corrected the message within a month or two - as the PMAG was already in the supply system with an NSN for ordering and issue.

As of 2017, the Army authorized the PMAG GEN 3 for issue and replacement.

Thanks for the info, AH64.

Your handle caught my attention. I just got back from shooting, and on the drive back just now was listening to Greg Coker talk about AH64 and AH6 missions. Some kick ass dudes.

Jason

L
L
binary trigger seems like an accident waiting to happen

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,146 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,964
Posts18,519,505
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.