Home
Posted By: beretzs LaRue Complete Upper - 04/07/22
Anybody used one of them? Just picked one of them along with an MBT trigger for my brother. Not sure if there is anything special about them, but LaRue has never put out junk so I figured it would be a good place for him to start with an AR.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/07/22
What upper is it? Not a lot of love here because Rost bad mouths them. He loves BCA though. Go figure. I'd buy one to test out, they seem to get a lot of love on other sites. They did very well in the MOA all day long shoot over on ARFCOM. Check it out, the first, second and third place holders were using a Larue of some sort, then 4th was WOA, then you get down to the 6th guy and he was using a Krieger barreled AR. After that, there were many Larue AR's. Judging by that, it tells me they shoot damn well. Your brother will probably be pretty happy with it. Keep us filled in. Any more specs you can share with us? I will probably buy a 20" stealth to play with down the road.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/07/22
It's this one.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper/

Maybe it'll be a clunker, but LaRue has been good to us since starting back in 2003, so I vote with my wallet a little and if I get a dud I know I can get them to take care of it. I'll let you know how it goes. We will get it going with my 77 TMK load. That's usually a good one to shake a rifle out. Worked well enough for me I don't use anything else anymore! HA!
Posted By: rost495 Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/07/22

Originally Posted by beretzs
It's this one.

Maybe it'll be a clunker, but LaRue has been good to us since starting back in 2003, so I vote with my wallet a little and if I get a dud I know I can get them to take care of it. I'll let you know how it goes. We will get it going with my 77 TMK load. That's usually a good one to shake a rifle out. Worked well enough for me I don't use anything else anymore! HA!

If you were happy for the price, then you will be happy with their product. Easy enough. They don't put out junk.

I simply run opposite ends, either build it top notch myself with barrels done by top smiths or I buy ready to go and hope I get MOA, and if I get 2MOA or less its good for dang near all my hunting uses.

Anyway I think you will be well pleased. I know they have a rule of not letting a gun out of the office without a certain accuracy level even if it means pulling a tube off and putting a new one on.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/08/22
Originally Posted by rost495

It's this one.

If you were happy for the price, then you will be happy with their product. Easy enough. They don't put out junk.

I simply run opposite ends, either build it top notch myself with barrels done by top smiths or I buy ready to go and hope I get MOA, and if I get 2MOA or less its good for dang near all my hunting uses.

Anyway I think you will be well pleased. I know they have a rule of not letting a gun out of the office without a certain accuracy level even if it means pulling a tube off and putting a new one on.

That’s fair enough. I probably align closer to your train of thought with a pile of PSA uppers that have shot MOA or maybe a hair over for 10 but they’ve been reliable guns. The LaRue was a bit more money but hell, if it’s a heap they’ll sort it out.
Posted By: TWR Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/08/22
I’ve only had one of their pencil barrels and it shot just over MOA in the challenge here. I probably should say I shot just over MOA, I think the barrel could’ve done better.

I used to have LaRue hats by the dozens from over the years when they added them to your order, never got a bad product or had any problems with them.
Posted By: lynntelk Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/08/22
I received a Stealth upper in a trade awhile back. I’d do it again. The stealth upper I received was plenty accurate and I have no complaints.
Great info. Thanks fellas.
Posted By: badwolf Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/08/22
Is that their stealth or predator barrel? I have a stealth 18" and it shoots amazingly
Originally Posted by badwolf
Is that their stealth or predator barrel? I have a stealth 18" and it shoots amazingly

The Stealth barrel.
Posted By: JPro Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/08/22
If I was in the market for an upper, I'd definitely be interested in that model at that price point.
Originally Posted by JPro
If I was in the market for an upper, I'd definitely be interested in that model at that price point.

It should all be in soon. I’ll report back once we get it set up. I don’t expect much for problems though.
Posted By: 79S Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/08/22
Are their barrels 1-7 or 1-8 their website kind of cryptic on that. I looked just their barrels pretty good deal I think for a barrel. I need a 1-7 twist to shoot 75gr eld-m and up for the long line in service rifle..
They’re 1-8’s.
Posted By: rost495 Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/08/22
7 always seemed to do better for us at the 600 yard line. Never made sense. even in Kreiger the 7 was our preferred by far over the 7.75.

Then our smith buddy whips our tails often enough with 9s.... LOL.
Posted By: dmentzer Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/10/22
Their match upper is a deal right now. I happened on to their site a couple of months ago and found they had a few complete lowers for sale. Got one of them and then one of the match uppers. First trip to the range yielded a .77 inch group with 69 gr Sierras. I'm sure it will get better with some experimentation. A good, solid gun.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: David_Walter Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/11/22
@dmentzer.

What scope is that?
Posted By: dmentzer Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/11/22
@David_Walter
VX 5HD 2-10x42
Nice scope.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/11/22
Just got the upper and trigger today at the door step. Lower is at the FFLs. Can’t wait to see it all snapped together.

Jus like Legos for men grin
Posted By: rost495 Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/12/22
Just got the upper and trigger today at the door step. Lower is at the FFLs. Can’t wait to see it all snapped together.

I"ve loved just buying a bag of parts since the 80s and putting em together from the ground up. Its fun for sure.

The snap together ease makes it work for all too.

but assembly from individual parts, with a barrel chambered and ready to go is so fun and so easy.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/12/22

I"ve loved just buying a bag of parts since the 80s and putting em together from the ground up. Its fun for sure.

but assembly from individual parts, with a barrel chambered and ready to go is so fun and so easy.

Couldn't agree more. I always said if I got a stinker upper with a barrel that wouldn't shoot I'd just swap it to one of higher quality. So far I have been decently lucky with barrels but I don't have the same standards as fella shooting matches for money or trophies.
Posted By: rost495 Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/12/22

Couldn't agree more. I always said if I got a stinker upper with a barrel that wouldn't shoot I'd just swap it to one of higher quality. So far I have been decently lucky with barrels but I don't have the same standards as fella shooting matches for money or trophies.

Thats the problem BSA has with me I think.

He thinks you have to have a .25 moa 10 plus shot gun period.

Its really not needed for most of what most do.

Don't get me wrong, I like the best I can get. OTOH if I can save money and its good enough for most work, whats the point of the extra cost?

Of course when we shot nationals, not just playing around at club matches shooting various things, nationals we spent money and tried for the best. The rule of thumb was at least 1.5 inch group 10 shots at 300 yards. But the requirements and what was on the line was totally different.

You will enjoy and keep enjoying. !!!
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/12/22
MBT trigger is great. I'm sure the upper will be same.
Posted By: TWR Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/13/22
I got a wild hair today and was gonna order criterion CORE 18” barrel and replace one of my other 16” barrels. Then figured that there was nothing wrong with any of my 16” uppers so I started ordering parts to build a new upper.

Trust me, the LaRue deal is cheap and I’m sure it’ll shoot.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/13/22
Ha. They’re pretty addictive.

I had an impulse grab the other day. PSA had 7.62 18” blems. The whole darned rifle was around 800. I couldnt have built one of my own for too much less and I figured who doesn’t need an 18” 7.62 in their house.

Agreed, MBTs have become my go to’s.

Rost, agreed buddy, if I can hover around that 1 MOA mark with 5-10 rounds or maybe a bit more I don’t complain. I have more fun shooting them then tinkering with those brass shuckers!
Posted By: rost495 Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/13/22
Ha. They’re pretty addictive.

I had an impulse grab the other day. PSA had 7.62 18” blems. The whole darned rifle was around 800. I couldnt have built one of my own for too much less and I figured who doesn’t need an 18” 7.62 in their house.

Agreed, MBTs have become my go to’s.

Rost, agreed buddy, if I can hover around that 1 MOA mark with 5-10 rounds or maybe a bit more I don’t complain. I have more fun shooting them then tinkering with those brass shuckers!

To be honest 2moa was much more the average of most deer rifles years ago and at average ranges no one complained. 2 MOA doesn't make me happy but its really workable.

Shot my Garand I'll use as my guide gun this fall for moose clients. it was right at 2 inches at 100... not really happy but its MORE than good enough for what we need to do.
Posted By: beretzs Re: LaRue Complete Upper - 04/13/22
For sure. I don't mine a 2 MOA lever gun or even an old battle rifle like your Garand.

Shoot, I'd bet alot of folks are still hunting with 2 MOA rifles these days and don't care much either. We're the weird guys who demand and expect more.
© 24hourcampfire