Home
Had a problem depriming this brass
It has red primer coating, but primer hole looks like other brass

Any thoughts ?
What exactly was the problem, Keith?

I haven't seen that brass, but if it's sealed, it's probably crimped too. Not much you can do about that until you get the primer out. frown
I posted of breaking/bending decapping pins on 5.56 brass similar to yours a while back and eventually learned they have a smaller than normal flash hole. It is kind of fooling as some of the primers will extract with more a bit more force than the norm but others will result in damaged or broken equipment. In those few that I was able to remove the primer, the new primer seated with normal force.

I determined this by hydraulically removing a primer on a case and tried inserting a drill bit that was a snug fit in a different case. The bit was too big to pass through the hole in the suspect case. That bag of brass ended up in the scrap bin. It was a test of one piece of brass but it was enough for me.
Woodmaster reminds me that a flash hole deburr tool will enlarge a small flash hole, even if the primer is still in the case.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Woodmaster reminds me that a flash hole deburr tool will enlarge a small flash hole, even if the primer is still in the case.

This works. Or turning the diameter of the pin down.

Lee, in their stupidity make pins too big for 6.5 creed moor small rifle primer brass. Then told me to not use the brass it was no good. LMAO., I could do the debut tool, but it was easy to chuck the stem in a drill and turn it small enough to work

I still laugh at the fact I could only find cheap lee dies at the time and they badmouth lapua brass...
Sorry, I had problems depriming
I think it may be small flash hole or heave crimp
I’ll set those aside
crimp rarely poses any problem. I think I can recall maybe 10 cases over probably at least 100,000 cases I've sized with a crimp that the primer didn't come out of.

Its flash hole size.
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
I’ll set those aside

Is it range pickup or are you that desperate that you have to mess with that chidt? I'd toss the chidt and move on to something that gives less of a headache.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Is it range pickup or are you that desperate that you have to mess with that chidt? I'd toss the chidt and move on to something that gives less of a headache.
Great idea. Keith, I'll send you a flat rate box o brass if you pay shipping.

223 brass is so damn plentiful around here that its not even worth the time fu cking with that kind of chidt. You hard up for brass Tyrone? ha ha..

223 brass is so damn plentiful around here that its not even worth the time fu cking with that kind of chidt. You hard up for brass Tyrone? ha ha..

The way I read that English is Tyrone has plenty of brass and if Keith pays shipping Tyrone will send Keith a box of brass so he doesn't have to mess with what he has.

I might not mess with that brass right now. But I never throw brass away. Some day it may come in handy even if it just takes the time to turn down a pin...
Three options;
1) Small diameter decapping pin https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005396618/decapping-pin-small
2) Flash hole uniformer https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/case-prep-tools/case-prep-tools/flash-hole-uniformer
3) Throw brass into recycle bin
I have buckets o' brass.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
I’ll set those aside

It was range pick up
I’m not keeping the problem brass
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I posted of breaking/bending decapping pins on 5.56 brass similar to yours a while back and eventually learned they have a smaller than normal flash hole. It is kind of fooling as some of the primers will extract with more a bit more force than the norm but others will result in damaged or broken equipment. In those few that I was able to remove the primer, the new primer seated with normal force.

I determined this by hydraulically removing a primer on a case and tried inserting a drill bit that was a snug fit in a different case. The bit was too big to pass through the hole in the suspect case. That bag of brass ended up in the scrap bin. It was a test of one piece of brass but it was enough for me.

I have found this brass as well. I don't remember what name is on the base. The primer hole is really small and usually off center.

kwg
Originally Posted by kwg020

I have found this brass as well. I don't remember what name is on the base. The primer hole is really small and usually off center.

kwg
I've shot thousands if not tens of thousands PMC brass with off center flash holes. And some stupid good accuracy to boot. Never recall loosing a pin, but do keep that part loose just a bit anyway so it all self centers mostly.

Of course again the small part is EASY fix.

Just depends on how lazy we make ourselves or how bad we need something.

Just an FYI for others that might find same brass
I'm new to reloading 223/5.56 but have found that brass with a headstamp of "SAR 20 5.56x45" as a VERY small flash hole and will break my de-priming pin. I have only ran across 10~15 out of 1000 cases that I purchased, but still I have to sort through each piece of brass and either pull those with the SAR headstamp or look down in the case with a light at the size of the flash hole. I can't find any information on these cases via a Google search. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to purchase a flash hole deburring tool to enlarge the flash hole so my de-priming pin will work with them or just chuck them in my bad brass bucket.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff
Originally Posted by JMSnodgrass
I'm new to reloading 223/5.56 but have found that brass with a headstamp of "SAR 20 5.56x45" as a VERY small flash hole and will break my de-priming pin. I have only ran across 10~15 out of 1000 cases that I purchased, but still I have to sort through each piece of brass and either pull those with the SAR headstamp or look down in the case with a light at the size of the flash hole. I can't find any information on these cases via a Google search. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to purchase a flash hole deburring tool to enlarge the flash hole so my de-priming pin will work with them or just chuck them in my bad brass bucket.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff

Jeff, have you read through this thread? You know what my suggestion is. How much is your time worth? Its not about having "buckets of brass either". That's the dumbest fu cking comment, as there is so much brass of .556/.223 rem flavor laying out on the ground, always, that a person never has to worry about finding brass for an AR. Damn, the last time I was at the range I could have picked up a 1,000+ pieces laying on the gravel. Its not worth my time or effort anymore, but it may be worth yours? Some guys get off on collecting buckets of brass. I have better things to do with my time. YMMV... If you are new to realoading, my best suggestion is to keep it simple. If you don't like bending/breaking your decapping pin be selective as to what brass you use. Toss the other chidt in the scrap bin. IF you do pick up brass from the range, learn what is good and what is crap. Nothing wrong with using range pick up brass either, just be selective and it will save you a lot of headache..
You might be surprised at how easy resolution is. Proper size drill bit will settle this quickly.
Jeff, have you read through this thread? You know what my suggestion is. How much is your time worth? Its not about having "buckets of brass either". That's the dumbest fu cking comment, as there is so much brass of .556/.223 rem flavor laying out on the ground, always, that a person never has to worry about finding brass for an AR. Damn, the last time I was at the range I could have picked up a 1,000+ pieces laying on the gravel. Its not worth my time or effort anymore, but it may be worth yours? Some guys get off on collecting buckets of brass. I have better things to do with my time. YMMV... If you are new to realoading, my best suggestion is to keep it simple. If you don't like bending/breaking your decapping pin be selective as to what brass you use. Toss the other chidt in the scrap bin. IF you do pick up brass from the range, learn what is good and what is crap. Nothing wrong with using range pick up brass either, just be selective and it will save you a lot of headache..

Yes, I read through the thread. To me it's not about just chucking the mentioned brass, it's about the challenge of making it work like the rest of my brass. I ended up buying a Redding Flash Hole Deburring Tool with 22 Caliber Pilot. It works great to open up the flash hole from the inside of the case then my normal Decapping/sizing die has no problem pushing out the spent primer. I then use a primer pocket cleaning tool to take off any burrs left from pushing a normal sized Decapping pin through the case.

Again, for me it is all about the challenge. YMMV.

-Jeff
I'm a cheap skate so I use found .223 and 5.56 brass. I also use RCBS dies. And, I also bought a bag of 50 depriming pins. I occasionally get one of those pieces of brass that has the tiny flash hole (pink water sealer) and I will occasionally break a depriming pin. If I find them in time, I toss them into my recycle bucket just to avoid the broken pins.

In the process of getting the found brass ready to use I swage any primer pockets that need swaging and I drill out the primer holes to .081" along with sorting and trimming the brass to length. Doing all of this fixes any problems for future use. I have fired the same brass up to 3 times. Most of it looks good for one or 2 more times before it ends up in the recycle bucket.

kwg

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff

Looking forward to more pics of your brass resizing tips….lol

When I have issues like that with brass, I just toss it. There are 1,000's of other better brass laying on the ground at the range that will work better. Just how I see it. Not worth the hassle IMHO..
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff

You are a slow learner and stupid fu ck. Time would be wasted showing you anything.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff

I won't pass up free brass EVER. Those that do are the ones will get caught with pants down at some point in the future. I've been around this so long that sooner or later every case and size I've collected has come in handy at some point. Even if just for fire forming something else.

That said for accuracy one should go through each piece of brass and work it some to clean stuff up so that would be normal for us even with known brass.

Maybe I'd trust Lapua. But with cost of Lapua and availability of other brands that work as well we choose not to for the AR.

Some of us have time, some money. Rare to have both. Some have to simply pick and choose.

Even if I don't use the brass I'll pick it up. Its a shame I don't have a range to go to I guess. OTOH having your own range to 600 plus isn't a bad thing... but no free brass laying all over the place.
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff

You are a slow learner and stupid fu ck. Time would be wasted showing you anything.

Ah come on..post them for the benefit of the other members…lol
© 24hourcampfire