Home
Posted By: goalie Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/22/23
Anyone using one? I like the idea of an illuminated etched reticle, and it'll be super small and light.

LEO/vet/mil discount makes it inexpensive to try out.

3x micro prism
I've got one on my AK47. I like it. I'm going to be getting another one, or two.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/22/23
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've got one on my AK47. I like it. I'm going to be getting another one, or two.

👍

Good to know. I ordered one to try out. If I like it, the new 5x may get a try.
I've got one of the older 5X models. I'm also looking forward to the 5x micro.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/23/23
I have the newer 1X , newer 2X and the older 3X models. The newer 1X and 2X are great, the older 3X has short eye relief. I will eventually get to ck out the newer 3X.
I like prisms, especially that they can be focused, but the ACSS reticles and variants are a little busy for sporting, as opposed to tactical use. Would like to see some with a simple black dot. The Bushnell Lil P is pretty good, but is hampered by the very small tube.

I’m less concerned with dead batteries now that so many have very long battery life and auto on and off. A simple yearly replacement will usually ensure you won’t get stuck with no light at a bad time.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/23/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I like prisms, especially that they can be focused, but the ACSS reticles and variants are a little busy for sporting, as opposed to tactical use. Would like to see some with a simple black dot. The Bushnell Lil P is pretty good, but is hampered by the very small tube.

I’m less concerned with dead batteries now that so many have very long battery life and auto on and off. A simple yearly replacement will usually ensure you won’t get stuck with no light at a bad time.

Dead batteries are only one of many reasons a red dot can be "dotless"

-Mr Murphy
These are clever. 3x on essentially a red dot and no need for a "Juliet". Anyone else making something similar besides Primary Arms?
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/24/23
Originally Posted by devnull
These are clever. 3x on essentially a red dot and no need for a "Juliet". Anyone else making something similar besides Primary Arms?

Not that small. I like that the mount is standard "mini ACOG" so there's options to upgrade.
The 3x Micro shown on the AK47 above, was my latest PA prism sight purchase.

I've been using the older style PA prisms for several years. I really like them on a few of my AR uppers. Hard to beat the economy, simplicity, durability, and the ACSS reticle.

Here are the rest of them, top to bottom:

1X on a 14.7" mid-gas govt profile 5.56
3X on a 14.5" SOCOM barreled 5.56
3X on a 16" 300 BO
5X on a 20" HBAR 5.56

I have their 9mm version on my PCC AR. It's been a great optic and works great with my astigmatism. I will be buying a couple of the 1x versions for a couple of ARs.

I don't have a lot of options because of the astigmatism, so these are a great option.
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Dead batteries are only one of many reasons a red dot can be "dotless"

-Mr Murphy

For certain, although good ones can be pretty tough, even working with broken lenses. I had one Sparc 2 that the emitter came loose on after about a dozen shots on a .357, and a couple of Bushnell Trophy models that were just crap from the getgo. The Sparc was replaced quickly with a good one, but the Bushys replacements were no better than the original, so I accepted a scope in exchange.

I have two new S&W pistols with red dots, and the low optics cuts allow the use of the standard sights through the window. One came with night sights to boot. This kind of stuff used to be only available with spendy custom work, but that Shield Plus was only $450!
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/25/23
Got it mounted last night. I'm impressed. The diopter is really nice, and there's no blooming like with most red dots (thanks old eyes) once it's adjusted.

I'm interested to see how fast it is up close with the illumination cranked. It's definitely going to make 100+ yard shots easier than a red dot.

The weight is a huge plus. It makes a noticable difference compared to the same rifle with an Aimpoint pro.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Ok, just got back from the range. I'm gonna like it. A lot.

That said, the Andro Corp rifle is smooth shooting (16" mid-length gas) and accurate, but the trigger is going to be replaced. Probably just a LaRue, but it's probably 7pounds as it came, so it's gonna go.
Posted By: pdcrig Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/26/23
Originally Posted by Darryle
I have their 9mm version on my PCC AR. It's been a great optic and works great with my astigmatism. I will be buying a couple of the 1x versions for a couple of ARs.

I don't have a lot of options because of the astigmatism, so these are a great option.

Swampfox is making good prisms as well but they're considerably bigger.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/26/23
The size/weight of these things is amazing. It's micro red dot sized.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/29/23
Another few hundred rounds through this setup. I really like the size, reticle, illumination and especially the weight.

It's fast up close, but way easier to hit with at 1-200 yards than a red dot with no magnification. The weight difference compared to a LPVO is huge.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/29/23
Another few hundred rounds through this setup. I really like the size, reticle, illumination and especially the weight.

It's fast up close, but way easier to hit with at 1-200 yards than a red dot with no magnification. The weight difference compared to a LPVO is huge.

How is the eye relief and field of view ? The 1st gen that I have I feel is short in eye relief. The thing is heavy too.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 07/29/23
Eye relief is better (longer, easier eye box to get behind) than an ACOG.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/04/23
I brought it along when I went to test the AAC 77g OTM ammo. This thing is a much better option for my old eyes than a red dot.

With the illumination cranked up, it's fast at 25 yards, but I'm able to shoot actual groups at 100 that don't look like a shotgun pattern like my red dot groups.

It is now officially my home defense rifle's optic.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/04/23
I brought it along when I went to test the AAC 77g OTM ammo. This thing is a much better option for my old eyes than a red dot.

With the illumination cranked up, it's fast at 25 yards, but I'm able to shoot actual groups at 100 that don't look like a shotgun pattern like my red dot groups.

Thanks for the updating review. I have a couple of the latest generation 2X power and find them nice to use. One of them replaced the older gen 3X I had on rifle because of the touchy eye relief and small box. And the thing was lead heavy. I also love the latest 1X. They have a good product that work well. Only ACOG I have is an older 4X and it has never impressed me. I have astigmatism and can't use red dots and even see 2 reticles in the ACOG now a days.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/04/23
Originally Posted by jeeper

Thanks for the updating review. I have a couple of the latest generation 2X power and find them nice to use. One of them replaced the older gen 3X I had on rifle because of the touchy eye relief and small box. And the thing was lead heavy. I also love the latest 1X. They have a good product that work well. Only ACOG I have is an older 4X and it has never impressed me. I have astigmatism and can't use red dots and even see 2 reticles in the ACOG now a days.

Yeah, you'd love the diopter on these then. The only downside is when dialed in to be perfectly crisp for me my son thinks it's blurry.
What are these micro prisms like in low light hunting conditions? Are they usable at dawn and dusk? A 5x on a Tikka has got me intrigued...
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/05/23
Originally Posted by auk1124
What are these micro prisms like in low light hunting conditions? Are they usable at dawn and dusk? A 5x on a Tikka has got me intrigued...

Illuminated reticle, so pretty easy to see. Decent glass.
Looking tonight out from my shop, I'd be fine past legal light.
Originally Posted by auk1124

Illuminated reticle, so pretty easy to see. Decent glass.
Looking tonight out from my shop, I'd be fine past legal light.

Gracias. An 8.5 ounce, 5x illuminated optic sure puts me to pondering.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/05/23
I've not seen or used the 5x. The eye relief and glass may be completely different.
I have the 1X. Kinda neat, but astigmatism makes the chevron less than crisp when illuminated.
Better for me when not lit.

However, I do like it when glowing, as then it can be used fast like an RDS and just go with outer ring of ACSS
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/16/23
I was just banging steel really at 300 with this. It gives up target ID at range, but the reticle works perfectly with AAC 77g OTM at 200 and 300 with a good 100yd zero.
Posted By: PatB Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/17/23
I bought one of these and mounted it up yesterday...

I agree with Goalie, nice little optic. Able to shoot great groups with it at 100, near MOA with factory ammo..

My windage adjustment doesn't respond as it should, taking twice the number of click to get on.. However, it seems to hold solid once on.. Vertical adj. was fine..

I'll definitely get another...

Nice clear view and the reticle is sharp as a tack too..
That looks like a decent sight.

But I've tried both the Aimpoint style & the Eotech style of red dots & much prefer the wide screen size of the Ecotech & Meprolight RDS holographic sights...................never used a prism to date.

But except for the case of being inside a closed building or room, I've still come to prefer an LVPO.

The reticles & illumination available now work very, very well & the option of more magnification makes the gun much more precise & longer ranges outside of a building as well as aiding in target ID & broadens it's ease of effective use at longer reanges.

I can't imagine the prism changing my mind, but I would like to try one as an alternative to the red dots at close ranges.

JMHO, YMMV

MM
Posted By: TWR Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/19/23
A buddy of mine is fixing to order one. I can’t imagine it’ll make me regret buying my latest Aimpoint H2 but we will see.
The 3X prism with ACSS excels as an all-around sighting device that is small, light, durable, with holdoffs out to 600 yards, and enough magnification to be a real advantage at distance.

It's not going to beat the red dot for ultimate speed up close, if that is the requirement. But for 'regular' shooters, the 3X prism is really an excellent optic from close-in, to way out there.
Posted By: PatB Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/19/23
The magnification makes shooting MOA groups at 100 a real thing, kind of amazes me that a measly 3x enable that kind of precision.. The view and reticle on mine is as clear as a good scope and the reticle's design allows precision.. Have not shot it a longer ranges yet.. My first try with a prism and I sure don't regret it !
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/19/23
Originally Posted by PatB
The magnification makes shooting MOA groups at 100 a real thing, kind of amazes me that a measly 3x enable that kind of precision.. The view and reticle on mine is as clear as a good scope and the reticle's design allows precision.. Have not shot it a longer ranges yet.. My first try with a prism and I sure don't regret it !

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy at 100. The reticle works with my choice of ammo (AAC 77g OTM or PMC 77g Xtac) to 300.

The one area it's lacking is target ID at longer ranges compared to a good scope with higher magnification, but it's still light years ahead of a red dot.

Last year one of the run and gun targets was painted green to match the background behind it. At 500 yards. 🙄
Posted By: PSE Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/21/23
Hi Goalie

Glad to hear your PA 3X is working out well for you. I'm looking to get one myself for my AR-15 carbine and was wondering how it would work out as I have the regular front sight tower on mine.

Would the image of the front sight on my rifle interfere much with the reticle? How far above the front sight is the chevron display?

Thanks for your comments.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/21/23
Originally Posted by PSE
Hi Goalie

Glad to hear your PA 3X is working out well for you. I'm looking to get one myself for my AR-15 carbine and was wondering how it would work out as I have the regular front sight tower on mine.

Would the image of the front sight on my rifle interfere much with the reticle? How far above the front sight is the chevron display?

I've only used mine on a rail upper. I'd assume it'd ghost like a LPVO on 3x
Originally Posted by PSE
Hi Goalie

Yep.

If you get the PA new, it'll come with the parts to mount it at several different heights. If the ghosting bothers you, it's possible to mount it higher.
Posted By: PSE Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 08/22/23
Originally Posted by tbird86
Originally Posted by PSE
Hi Goalie

Yep.

If you get the PA new, it'll come with the parts to mount it at several different heights. If the ghosting bothers you, it's possible to mount it higher.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll go with this sight for my AR carbine.
Posted By: goalie Re: Primary Arms 3x micro prism - 12/30/23
I just switched the mount to an AD 1.93" quick release one-piece. I freaking love this optic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The mount:
AD mini ACOG mount
© 24hourcampfire