Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I brought it along when I went to test the AAC 77g OTM ammo. This thing is a much better option for my old eyes than a red dot.

With the illumination cranked up, it's fast at 25 yards, but I'm able to shoot actual groups at 100 that don't look like a shotgun pattern like my red dot groups.

It is now officially my home defense rifle's optic.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie
I brought it along when I went to test the AAC 77g OTM ammo. This thing is a much better option for my old eyes than a red dot.

With the illumination cranked up, it's fast at 25 yards, but I'm able to shoot actual groups at 100 that don't look like a shotgun pattern like my red dot groups.

Thanks for the updating review. I have a couple of the latest generation 2X power and find them nice to use. One of them replaced the older gen 3X I had on rifle because of the touchy eye relief and small box. And the thing was lead heavy. I also love the latest 1X. They have a good product that work well. Only ACOG I have is an older 4X and it has never impressed me. I have astigmatism and can't use red dots and even see 2 reticles in the ACOG now a days.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeeper

Thanks for the updating review. I have a couple of the latest generation 2X power and find them nice to use. One of them replaced the older gen 3X I had on rifle because of the touchy eye relief and small box. And the thing was lead heavy. I also love the latest 1X. They have a good product that work well. Only ACOG I have is an older 4X and it has never impressed me. I have astigmatism and can't use red dots and even see 2 reticles in the ACOG now a days.

Yeah, you'd love the diopter on these then. The only downside is when dialed in to be perfectly crisp for me my son thinks it's blurry.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
What are these micro prisms like in low light hunting conditions? Are they usable at dawn and dusk? A 5x on a Tikka has got me intrigued...

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
What are these micro prisms like in low light hunting conditions? Are they usable at dawn and dusk? A 5x on a Tikka has got me intrigued...

Illuminated reticle, so pretty easy to see. Decent glass.
Looking tonight out from my shop, I'd be fine past legal light.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by auk1124

Illuminated reticle, so pretty easy to see. Decent glass.
Looking tonight out from my shop, I'd be fine past legal light.

Gracias. An 8.5 ounce, 5x illuminated optic sure puts me to pondering.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've not seen or used the 5x. The eye relief and glass may be completely different.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have the 1X. Kinda neat, but astigmatism makes the chevron less than crisp when illuminated.
Better for me when not lit.

However, I do like it when glowing, as then it can be used fast like an RDS and just go with outer ring of ACSS

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was just banging steel really at 300 with this. It gives up target ID at range, but the reticle works perfectly with AAC 77g OTM at 200 and 300 with a good 100yd zero.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I bought one of these and mounted it up yesterday...

I agree with Goalie, nice little optic. Able to shoot great groups with it at 100, near MOA with factory ammo..

My windage adjustment doesn't respond as it should, taking twice the number of click to get on.. However, it seems to hold solid once on.. Vertical adj. was fine..

I'll definitely get another...

Nice clear view and the reticle is sharp as a tack too..

Last edited by PatB; 08/17/23.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks like a decent sight.

But I've tried both the Aimpoint style & the Eotech style of red dots & much prefer the wide screen size of the Ecotech & Meprolight RDS holographic sights...................never used a prism to date.

But except for the case of being inside a closed building or room, I've still come to prefer an LVPO.

The reticles & illumination available now work very, very well & the option of more magnification makes the gun much more precise & longer ranges outside of a building as well as aiding in target ID & broadens it's ease of effective use at longer reanges.

I can't imagine the prism changing my mind, but I would like to try one as an alternative to the red dots at close ranges.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A buddy of mine is fixing to order one. I can’t imagine it’ll make me regret buying my latest Aimpoint H2 but we will see.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The 3X prism with ACSS excels as an all-around sighting device that is small, light, durable, with holdoffs out to 600 yards, and enough magnification to be a real advantage at distance.

It's not going to beat the red dot for ultimate speed up close, if that is the requirement. But for 'regular' shooters, the 3X prism is really an excellent optic from close-in, to way out there.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The magnification makes shooting MOA groups at 100 a real thing, kind of amazes me that a measly 3x enable that kind of precision.. The view and reticle on mine is as clear as a good scope and the reticle's design allows precision.. Have not shot it a longer ranges yet.. My first try with a prism and I sure don't regret it !

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PatB
The magnification makes shooting MOA groups at 100 a real thing, kind of amazes me that a measly 3x enable that kind of precision.. The view and reticle on mine is as clear as a good scope and the reticle's design allows precision.. Have not shot it a longer ranges yet.. My first try with a prism and I sure don't regret it !

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy at 100. The reticle works with my choice of ammo (AAC 77g OTM or PMC 77g Xtac) to 300.

The one area it's lacking is target ID at longer ranges compared to a good scope with higher magnification, but it's still light years ahead of a red dot.

Last year one of the run and gun targets was painted green to match the background behind it. At 500 yards. 🙄

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Goalie

Glad to hear your PA 3X is working out well for you. I'm looking to get one myself for my AR-15 carbine and was wondering how it would work out as I have the regular front sight tower on mine.

Would the image of the front sight on my rifle interfere much with the reticle? How far above the front sight is the chevron display?

Thanks for your comments.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PSE
Hi Goalie

Glad to hear your PA 3X is working out well for you. I'm looking to get one myself for my AR-15 carbine and was wondering how it would work out as I have the regular front sight tower on mine.

Would the image of the front sight on my rifle interfere much with the reticle? How far above the front sight is the chevron display?

I've only used mine on a rail upper. I'd assume it'd ghost like a LPVO on 3x

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by PSE
Hi Goalie

Yep.

If you get the PA new, it'll come with the parts to mount it at several different heights. If the ghosting bothers you, it's possible to mount it higher.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by tbird86
Originally Posted by PSE
Hi Goalie

Yep.

If you get the PA new, it'll come with the parts to mount it at several different heights. If the ghosting bothers you, it's possible to mount it higher.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll go with this sight for my AR carbine.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just switched the mount to an AD 1.93" quick release one-piece. I freaking love this optic.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The mount:
AD mini ACOG mount

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (219DW, 1badf350, 160user, 1941USMC, 1lessdog, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,385
Posts18,506,756
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.