Home
Posted By: Bryant AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/21/12
Im thinking of getting my first AR. I want that can be used as a hunting rifle(varmints, yotes, ect) I need a gun that will double as a defensive rifle just in case my family gets attacked by zombies. It has to be something that is pretty accurate.

Dont want a real heavy gun but a short varmint barrel would probably be ok.

Heres the catch....I dont have much money to spend. so it needs to be as cheap as possible. If I can save some green I will build it myself.

Any suggestions?

Posted By: dale06 Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/21/12
dpms panther oracle
they are about $600 on gunbroker
Frontier poly lower, and pick your upper at Palmetto State Armory.
Posted By: Bryant Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/21/12
Do you have one of the New frontier lowers?
Not yet. My personal one is a PSA, with a PSA upper.

I'm getting ready to build a rifle for my wife, and it will be built with exactly what I recommended above. After seeing them torture test the fire control parts, and use it as a step to get into a truck bed, I'm sold.

Those two things were my concerns, the platic trigger parts, and the threads for the receiver extension. Couple the testing I've seen with a USA made product with a great warranty, and I'm there.
Buy once, cry once! Piece it together. Go on line say www.bravocompanyusa.com buy a lower. Then you can buy a upper that is a flat top down the road. Then as you save or come across more money buy a White Oak Armament upper for varmint hunting. Buy what you want so you don't have any regrets. If you have 600.00 for about 200.00 more you can get a nice AR. DPMS isn't a bad brand but there are other AR's that have better fit and finish. Either way check around.
The reason I suggested PSA is in response to the inexpensive part the OP referred to. You can get a complete upper with a stainless 1-8 twist Wilson barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber for a good price from PSA, and the barrel is alot of the battle for an accurate AR.

By all accounts, the poly trigger in the Frontier is pretty good, too, another important piece of the accuracy puzzle, since I doubt on a budget you're wanting to spring for a Giesele.

Lots of good options out there, but I've had great luck with PSA, and their prices for what you get are pretty hard to match.
Posted By: Bryant Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/22/12
looking at building an AR for the first time, all the options have kinda got my head spinning LOL
Posted By: rem06 Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/22/12
I'm with ya! I just bought 2 stripped lowers and will look into the Palmetto State Armory.
Posted By: Bryant Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/22/12
I think If I buy a stripped lower it will be from Palmetto.
Looking at the Rock river predator pursuit upper but its a little more than I really want to spend.

yall think that a similar dpms would be as good?
White Oak Armament for target/varmiting

Bushmaster V Matches were said to be very accurate as well.

DPMS should be fine the ones I have seen hold 1 moa not sure about their varmint models, but they should work as well.

The recommendations above are for varmint uppers so using them to double as home defense may not be ideal?
Posted By: Bryant Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/23/12
Anyone got a rock river arms predator pursuit. Im looking at that one real hard right now.-edit- (forgot that i already posted that)
Ar's can be had for pretty cheap right now. You might want to consider finding a good used AR for a good price. Shop around.
If you can find an Armalite,Rock River, Colt, Bushmaster, Bravo Company complete rifle used but in great shape, you might be suprised on how cheap they can go for since many new rifles have lower prices. As far as accuracy, I believe these will all do well and the reliablity is as good as it should be.
.......SmokeRolls
Posted By: rem06 Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/23/12
whats the big difference between the
classic lower at $99
MOE lower at $140
and Premium lower? priced from $225
just the stock and grip? and is one better than the other for a specific use?
If you are going to peice one together, try to get a milspec (military specs) lower.
Buy a LPK ( lower parts kit ) from dpms, bravo company.
A stock that you want that comes with buffer tube, spring and buffer, slap that baby together and your lower is done and ready for action.
You can always upgrade your trigger later because standard triggers stink.
I love Timney drop in's (4.5lb) and JP adjustables (i set mine at 4.5 lb)
Triggers do help with accuracy but I have seen rifles with bone stock triggers shoot well, but i think a good trigger can help.
The upper, i would just buy as a complete upper from rock river, bravo company, etc,etc.
Figure out what the main purpose is going to be on the rifle, ie "self defence" get a carbine 16" barrel.
Long range shooting with a scope, atleast a 20"-24" varmit barrel.
A multipurpose rifle with decent attributes in all areas, a lightweight 20" barrel with a flat-top upper or removable carry handle.
Jmho, hope this helps
....SmokeRolls
Originally Posted by Bryant
Anyone got a rock river arms predator pursuit. Im looking at that one real hard right now.-edit- (forgot that i already posted that)

I don't have the model you ask about, but I have a LAR-8 Predator by RRA. They are very nice guns and have alot of "aftermarket" stuff as standard parts. The winter trigger guard and 2 stage match trigger are very nice and the Hogue overmolded grip works very well. smile
Posted By: rem06 Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/24/12
i just ordered the MOA lower kit for 140 and i hope all is well?

i tried calling and no answer and their phone box was full?

hopefully they are busting tail and filling orders.

the MOE kit was magpul:
stock/grip/trigger guard

PSA parts kit and mil spec buffer tube assy with $6 shipping @ $145

i ordered it in OD green so who can recomend a Kick ss upper in 223 to match?
Originally Posted by rem06

the MOE kit was magpul:
stock/grip/trigger guard

MagPul is good, don't know about PSA but that doesnt really meen anything, there are hundreds of brands for LPK's but most probably come from DPMS if I had to guess.
You still need to tell us what you want out of your AR.

Do you want it to shine at 200 yards and less and be light,smaller and ready to defend your house when the zombies attack? smile

Or do you want to pop a target, P-dog,groundhog or coyote at an extended range but it will be longer, heavier and slower to navigate thru the house when SHTF smile

Or do you want a middle of the road lightweight 20" barrel with a flat top and maybe even a removable A2 carry handle sight.

You need to specify what type of optics you are wanting or you need to specify what you want this AR to shine at and we can coach you into the optics that would be best for your situation.

I know of no AR that can do CQB and long range work without having to change optics and really knowing your bullet drop (A crap load of practice.) Most just get a CQB rifle set up for close work and a long range AR with good optics for longer shots.
JMHO
Hope this helps.
.....SmokeRolls
Do you want it to shine at 200 yards and less and be light,smaller and ready to defend your house when the zombies attack?

likely this one. i was checking this out:

upper link

$439.00 shipped. but out of stock frown

PSA 16'' M4 Upper - On Sale!
Stripped Upper:
1 x PSA 16'' M4 Upper $309.95
BCG Option:
1 x Bolt Carrier Group $80.00
Select charging handle
1 x Add PSA Charging Handle with Tactical Release Latch $29.95
Handguard Option:
1 x MOE Carb HG ODG $20.00
Flash Hider Option:
1 x A2 Flash Hider $0.00

guess that is out? due to being out of stock? maybe BO ? i like the price!!!!
any lower, AAC 300BLK 16" flattop upper, match trigger, magpull stock.
DONE
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SmokeRolls
Originally Posted by rem06

the MOE kit was magpul:
stock/grip/trigger guard

MagPul is good, don't know about PSA but that doesnt really meen anything, there are hundreds of brands for LPK's but most probably come from DPMS if I had to guess.
You still need to tell us what you want out of your AR.

Do you want it to shine at 200 yards and less and be light,smaller and ready to defend your house when the zombies attack? smile

Or do you want to pop a target, P-dog,groundhog or coyote at an extended range but it will be longer, heavier and slower to navigate thru the house when SHTF smile

Or do you want a middle of the road lightweight 20" barrel with a flat top and maybe even a removable A2 carry handle sight.

You need to specify what type of optics you are wanting or you need to specify what you want this AR to shine at and we can coach you into the optics that would be best for your situation.

I know of no AR that can do CQB and long range work without having to change optics and really knowing your bullet drop (A crap load of practice.) Most just get a CQB rifle set up for close work and a long range AR with good optics for longer shots.
JMHO
Hope this helps.
.....SmokeRolls

U can actually do it all with a GOOD shorty, and irons actually, or a low power scope, you don't need lots of X to shoot distance, but it will take some practice.

Accuracy is in the barrel, not its length or weight generally speaking.
16" spray and pray and i am pretty certain there is not much need for the prayer smile

i think that upper posted above is a pretty good match for the lower? i ordered lower in OD green and the upper fore end can be ordered in OD green too? they are out of stock on it. I have a camp trip this weekend and i will check back here and try and get an order placed for something early next week.
Originally Posted by rost495
U can actually do it all with a GOOD shorty, and irons actually, or a low power scope, you don't need lots of X to shoot distance, but it will take some practice.

Accuracy is in the barrel, not its length or weight generally speaking.

Just my opinion and not trying to sling mudd.
Yes I know but this guy is on a budget and being able to pay for a "GOOD" shorty is probably not going to happen for a while. I was trying to help him in the lower priced weapons. Many things are possible with more money. Im sure a nice Noveski, POF or something with a nice Kreiger or Mike Rock or even a GAP built rig would do the trick but he would have to cough up some cash for those options. Practice pays off with any weapon though.

I'm a person that believes that using the right tool for the job is easier.
Example, To pop a groundhogs head that is barely sticking out of the hole at 400 yards I would rather use a 5.56 AR with a 20" to 24" barrel with a good NF 5.5x 22x 56 than use a carbine with an aimpoint red dot, not saying it's not possible but I would venture to say that the guy holding the carbine would be like "What groundhog????" "Where????" " I can't see nothing".

Yes, it's possible to dig a ditch with a shovel, but if I had to dig the ditch I will grab a backhoe.
JMHO and not trying to ruffle feathers smile
.....SmokeRolls
Ok? I have my flame suit on ....
here goes. I built two model one sales A4 rifle kits for two friends.
Government profile barrels 20 inchers. Rifle gas.
Flat tops 1/9 twist .....
Just plain ol' AR's. Removable carry handles.
A2 Stocks. Basic. Rifles.
both of them shoot lights out. One was swapped out with a rock river two stage match trigger.
both rifles shoot better than their owners. They just love them.
Zero problems in last three years.
and the price was cheap.
Peabody
Originally Posted by peabody
Ok? I have my flame suit on ....
here goes. I built two model one sales A4 rifle kits for two friends.
Government profile barrels 20 inchers. Rifle gas.
Flat tops 1/9 twist .....
Just plain ol' AR's. Removable carry handles.
A2 Stocks. Basic. Rifles.
both of them shoot lights out. One was swapped out with a rock river two stage match trigger.
both rifles shoot better than their owners. They just love them.
Zero problems in last three years.
and the price was cheap.
Peabody

Sounds like a winner for the price.
....SmokeRolls
I truly believe. That a simple basic standard A4 will do 99% of ehat any of us need.
i got inspired to build a Vietnam clone of a slickside.
green mountain 1/12 pencil barrel. Triangular handguards. The works.
Its my favorite rifle. Shoots great with surplus 55 ammo.
For all around use the A4 will do it all.
Peabody
Originally Posted by peabody
I truly believe. That a simple basic standard A4 will do 99% of ehat any of us need.
i got inspired to build a Vietnam clone of a slickside.
green mountain 1/12 pencil barrel. Triangular handguards. The works.
Its my favorite rifle. Shoots great with surplus 55 ammo.
For all around use the A4 will do it all.
Peabody

I had an A2 20" Colt Sporter open sight and it looked just like an M16, that rifle was awesome and i wish i still had it.
Excellent accuracy and light weight and would do much of what you are talking about and even with open sights.
Its hard to pick out targets at far distances unless they are very visable but if you could see the target, you pretty much could hit it or atleast get mighty close.
.....SmokeRolls
Posted By: Bryant Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/25/12
Thanks for all the input guys, lots of choices out there. I think Im just gonna take my time one this and look deals on parts as they come along. Maybe try to find some good used stuff.

I think that I want to build a gun with a 16 barrel ether a HBAR or a Bull barrel. A2 stock no front sight gas block. Use a scope for hunting and maybe put a red dot on for home defense or plinking. Of corse I can not swap all the time but a scope turned to lowest power would work to HD. Chances are if a need a HD gun I would grab a pistol or shotgun anyway.

Of course I can not swap all the time

Actually, with the right quick release mounts and good optics, you can change out and be right at or near zero and repeatable using GDI mounts, Larue and a few others.
but a scope turned to lowest power would work to HD.
Not great but I guess anything can be pointed at a threat in a pinch. smile
If you are going to consider a scope that can double as home protection on an AR, I like the 1x4's or similar. I have a Luepold Mark 4 1.5x5 lit reticle on one carbine that I love. I've had numerous eotechs, have aimpoints and have had Acogs.
Hope this helps.
.....SmokeRolls
Posted By: rem06 Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 02/29/12
bottom

just ordered the top and bottom is shipped.
Posted By: rem06 Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 03/09/12
[Linked Image]

waiting on upper,eta 1-2 wks.

in the mean time, any input on this?

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_009.htm
Posted By: Dr69er Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 03/10/12
I would not reccomend a 16" bbl. upper...The muzzle blast is just
deadly as is the flash (worst combo for a HD weapon).

I would reccomend a 20" std. contour bbl. upper which strikes a good balance for most of your needs.

A A2 set-up w/ a option to add LW optics,so use can do both at once if needed(have open sights and optics via carry handle mount).

JMHO.
Posted By: TWR Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 03/10/12
Originally Posted by Dr69er

I would reccomend a 20" std. contour bbl. upper which strikes a good balance for most of your needs.

A A2 set-up w/ a option to add LW optics,so use can do both at once if needed(have open sights and optics via carry handle mount).

JMHO.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but I'd prefer an SBR for home defense, those hallways get a little tight with a 20" gun. The noise won't kill you and the flash can be overcome with a Vortex.

A flat top will allow irons and a red dot all on the same plane, at the same time, much quicker than anything mounted on top of a carry handle.
Posted By: Dr69er Re: AR 15 Help (recommendation) - 03/10/12
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by Dr69er

JMHO.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but I'd prefer an SBR for home defense, those hallways get a little tight with a 20" gun. The noise won't kill you and the flash can be overcome with a Vortex.

A flat top will allow irons and a red dot all on the same plane, at the same time, much quicker than anything mounted on top of a carry handle.

Just saying that the SBR/Carbine set-up may be less than Ideal for a HD gun due to the massive muzzle blast and flash
normally generated by those short barreled weapons in dimm light and enclosed areas...although, there are ways to manage
those Issuses as you mentioned...
I have a Rock River Arms AR for sale in the classifieds if you want to take a look. Here's the link.

Oops, sorry. Just read your post about the 16" barrel.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../Re_RRA_National_Match_AR_15#Post6278321

© 24hourcampfire