Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SmokeRolls
Originally Posted by rem06
i just ordered the MOA lower kit for 140 and i hope all is well?

i tried calling and no answer and their phone box was full?

hopefully they are busting tail and filling orders.

the MOE kit was magpul:
stock/grip/trigger guard

PSA parts kit and mil spec buffer tube assy with $6 shipping @ $145

i ordered it in OD green so who can recomend a Kick ss upper in 223 to match?

MagPul is good, don't know about PSA but that doesnt really meen anything, there are hundreds of brands for LPK's but most probably come from DPMS if I had to guess.
You still need to tell us what you want out of your AR.

Do you want it to shine at 200 yards and less and be light,smaller and ready to defend your house when the zombies attack? smile

Or do you want to pop a target, P-dog,groundhog or coyote at an extended range but it will be longer, heavier and slower to navigate thru the house when SHTF smile

Or do you want a middle of the road lightweight 20" barrel with a flat top and maybe even a removable A2 carry handle sight.

You need to specify what type of optics you are wanting or you need to specify what you want this AR to shine at and we can coach you into the optics that would be best for your situation.

I know of no AR that can do CQB and long range work without having to change optics and really knowing your bullet drop (A crap load of practice.) Most just get a CQB rifle set up for close work and a long range AR with good optics for longer shots.
JMHO
Hope this helps.
.....SmokeRolls

U can actually do it all with a GOOD shorty, and irons actually, or a low power scope, you don't need lots of X to shoot distance, but it will take some practice.

Accuracy is in the barrel, not its length or weight generally speaking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
16" spray and pray and i am pretty certain there is not much need for the prayer smile

i think that upper posted above is a pretty good match for the lower? i ordered lower in OD green and the upper fore end can be ordered in OD green too? they are out of stock on it. I have a camp trip this weekend and i will check back here and try and get an order placed for something early next week.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by rost495
U can actually do it all with a GOOD shorty, and irons actually, or a low power scope, you don't need lots of X to shoot distance, but it will take some practice.

Accuracy is in the barrel, not its length or weight generally speaking.

Just my opinion and not trying to sling mudd.
Yes I know but this guy is on a budget and being able to pay for a "GOOD" shorty is probably not going to happen for a while. I was trying to help him in the lower priced weapons. Many things are possible with more money. Im sure a nice Noveski, POF or something with a nice Kreiger or Mike Rock or even a GAP built rig would do the trick but he would have to cough up some cash for those options. Practice pays off with any weapon though.

I'm a person that believes that using the right tool for the job is easier.
Example, To pop a groundhogs head that is barely sticking out of the hole at 400 yards I would rather use a 5.56 AR with a 20" to 24" barrel with a good NF 5.5x 22x 56 than use a carbine with an aimpoint red dot, not saying it's not possible but I would venture to say that the guy holding the carbine would be like "What groundhog????" "Where????" " I can't see nothing".

Yes, it's possible to dig a ditch with a shovel, but if I had to dig the ditch I will grab a backhoe.
JMHO and not trying to ruffle feathers smile
.....SmokeRolls

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2nd Chronicles 7:14
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Ok? I have my flame suit on ....
here goes. I built two model one sales A4 rifle kits for two friends.
Government profile barrels 20 inchers. Rifle gas.
Flat tops 1/9 twist .....
Just plain ol' AR's. Removable carry handles.
A2 Stocks. Basic. Rifles.
both of them shoot lights out. One was swapped out with a rock river two stage match trigger.
both rifles shoot better than their owners. They just love them.
Zero problems in last three years.
and the price was cheap.
Peabody

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by peabody
Ok? I have my flame suit on ....
here goes. I built two model one sales A4 rifle kits for two friends.
Government profile barrels 20 inchers. Rifle gas.
Flat tops 1/9 twist .....
Just plain ol' AR's. Removable carry handles.
A2 Stocks. Basic. Rifles.
both of them shoot lights out. One was swapped out with a rock river two stage match trigger.
both rifles shoot better than their owners. They just love them.
Zero problems in last three years.
and the price was cheap.
Peabody

Sounds like a winner for the price.
....SmokeRolls

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2nd Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I truly believe. That a simple basic standard A4 will do 99% of ehat any of us need.
i got inspired to build a Vietnam clone of a slickside.
green mountain 1/12 pencil barrel. Triangular handguards. The works.
Its my favorite rifle. Shoots great with surplus 55 ammo.
For all around use the A4 will do it all.
Peabody

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by peabody
I truly believe. That a simple basic standard A4 will do 99% of ehat any of us need.
i got inspired to build a Vietnam clone of a slickside.
green mountain 1/12 pencil barrel. Triangular handguards. The works.
Its my favorite rifle. Shoots great with surplus 55 ammo.
For all around use the A4 will do it all.
Peabody

I had an A2 20" Colt Sporter open sight and it looked just like an M16, that rifle was awesome and i wish i still had it.
Excellent accuracy and light weight and would do much of what you are talking about and even with open sights.
Its hard to pick out targets at far distances unless they are very visable but if you could see the target, you pretty much could hit it or atleast get mighty close.
.....SmokeRolls

B
Bryant Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the input guys, lots of choices out there. I think Im just gonna take my time one this and look deals on parts as they come along. Maybe try to find some good used stuff.

I think that I want to build a gun with a 16 barrel ether a HBAR or a Bull barrel. A2 stock no front sight gas block. Use a scope for hunting and maybe put a red dot on for home defense or plinking. Of corse I can not swap all the time but a scope turned to lowest power would work to HD. Chances are if a need a HD gun I would grab a pistol or shotgun anyway.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Bryant
Of course I can not swap all the time

Actually, with the right quick release mounts and good optics, you can change out and be right at or near zero and repeatable using GDI mounts, Larue and a few others.
Originally Posted by Bryant
but a scope turned to lowest power would work to HD.
Not great but I guess anything can be pointed at a threat in a pinch. smile
If you are going to consider a scope that can double as home protection on an AR, I like the 1x4's or similar. I have a Luepold Mark 4 1.5x5 lit reticle on one carbine that I love. I've had numerous eotechs, have aimpoints and have had Acogs.
Hope this helps.
.....SmokeRolls

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
bottom

just ordered the top and bottom is shipped.

NRA life member
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image]

waiting on upper,eta 1-2 wks.

in the mean time, any input on this?

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_009.htm

NRA life member
I would not reccomend a 16" bbl. upper...The muzzle blast is just
deadly as is the flash (worst combo for a HD weapon).

I would reccomend a 20" std. contour bbl. upper which strikes a good balance for most of your needs.

A A2 set-up w/ a option to add LW optics,so use can do both at once if needed(have open sights and optics via carry handle mount).

JMHO.

Developer of the 6.5mm & 6.8mm Patriot Combat Cartridge
Defend the US Constitution & The American Way
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Dr69er

I would reccomend a 20" std. contour bbl. upper which strikes a good balance for most of your needs.

A A2 set-up w/ a option to add LW optics,so use can do both at once if needed(have open sights and optics via carry handle mount).

JMHO.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but I'd prefer an SBR for home defense, those hallways get a little tight with a 20" gun. The noise won't kill you and the flash can be overcome with a Vortex.

A flat top will allow irons and a red dot all on the same plane, at the same time, much quicker than anything mounted on top of a carry handle.

Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by Dr69er

JMHO.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but I'd prefer an SBR for home defense, those hallways get a little tight with a 20" gun. The noise won't kill you and the flash can be overcome with a Vortex.

A flat top will allow irons and a red dot all on the same plane, at the same time, much quicker than anything mounted on top of a carry handle.

Just saying that the SBR/Carbine set-up may be less than Ideal for a HD gun due to the massive muzzle blast and flash
normally generated by those short barreled weapons in dimm light and enclosed areas...although, there are ways to manage
those Issuses as you mentioned...

Developer of the 6.5mm & 6.8mm Patriot Combat Cartridge
Defend the US Constitution & The American Way
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Rock River Arms AR for sale in the classifieds if you want to take a look. Here's the link.

Oops, sorry. Just read your post about the 16" barrel.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../Re_RRA_National_Match_AR_15#Post6278321

Last edited by AlaskaFE; 03/11/12.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.