Home
other than the matched upper and lower its a mix of parts ive picked up from a few sources....i have about $850 into it but that was spread out over a fair bit of time as i picked up the stripped receivers over a year ago....barrel is a 5.56 1x9", just a CMMG lower receiver parts kit and trigger....my wife has named it "The Stress Reducer" laugh

im sure various things will get changed out as she decides what she likes and doesnt like and i want to put together an additional 300 Blackout upper to go with it.....the wife is out of town at a doc appointment this morning and called to tell me she stopped at a sporting goods store there and grabbed a 1,000 rounds to get her started

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Just looking at it, that looks like a pretty good set up Rattler.
Looks like a good rifle, Sheridan. Gonna put an optic on it?
yep, she hates irons......not sure what she is thinking she wants yet.....
I'm biased to Aimpoint over EOTech, but YMMV. Also, the Burris Fullfield Tactical is a reasonably priced optic that gives you the option of both reticle and red dot, plus it's got up to 4X magnification.
yeah not sure if she wants a red dot, reddot plus magnification or a scope of some sort....offered to give her the 6x36 Leupold off my Kimber Montana and then just get something else for it but she said she wants the "tactical look" not the "hunting rifle look" crazy grin
I am playing with a Nikon M223 2x-8x BDC 600 reticle on an M4gery. So far I like it and it isn't very expensive. Sometimes you can catch them with a free mount. I think I got mine from Cabelas on sale.
Originally Posted by eh76
I am playing with a Nikon M223 2x-8x BDC 600 reticle on an M4gery. So far I like it and it isn't very expensive. Sometimes you can catch them with a free mount. I think I got mine from Cabelas on sale.

driving through Billings on Thursday, may have to stop at Cabelas laugh
Looks like a nice setup.
Strongly suggest an Aimpoint, even a PRO. You can replace the mount with a QD later on. Although, I like micros best.

Should throw a set of MBUS on, just in case. Cheap and light.
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

Should throw a set of MBUS on, just in case. Cheap and light.

prolly will, i just live in the middle of nowhere so not like i can just run to a Sportsmans or Cabelas or whatever and grab something(dont think my lil sporting goods store here has AR parts) and im headed across the state this coming week so not in a huge hurry to just put something on today....it will be completely up and running even if its just a temporary optic i pull off something else by next weekend though....
Those Magpull BU sights are okay. I wouldn't put plastic sights on a hard use rifle but they work, nothing worth having is cheaper.
Dont forget to swing by Big Bear sports, I think they have better prices and availability of AR accessories.
i went down to the local place.....prolly shouldnt have....they had a Vortex Strikefire crazy figure if it turns out Darla doesnt like it ill get the low mount and put it on my Marlin Guide Gun laugh
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Those Magpull BU sights are okay. I wouldn't put plastic sights on a hard use rifle but they work, nothing worth having is cheaper.

They handle drops better than metal sights. Kinda like polymer trigger guards handling drops better than aluminum

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

With all the great online vendors, I'd strongly suggest a Primary Arms micro over the Strikefire. It's QD capable, and way lighter. Usually cheaper, too.
already bought the Strikefire....im happy with it but not like they had alot of options at the lil store here....it works, battery life is supposed to be go, can swap between red and green dots depending on the target.....the Primary Arms Micro would be cheaper but they didnt have one....

actually i went down looking to see if they had some sort of iron site to get me by and when they didnt i went and checked out the optics case and found the Strikefire.....
plus should the wife not like it on her AR, the Strikefire has been tested on heavier recoiling guns and passed with flying colors, and its new home will be my Marlin 1895G in 45-70 crazy
Did it come with the magnifier?

I know they used to, just curious.
yep.....not sure if i like it, cuts down field of view alot and barely makes a difference.....if the Strikefire stays on the AR i prolly wont use it and my just get one of the higher magnification ones made by one of the other companies on a flip out of the way mount and use that with this....
The Larue flip over magnifier mount is the standard but Burris has come out with a clone knock off of it.
It's nice to have. I forget, is it 2x or 3x? I wouldn't use it much, but having it in the pack or range bag is nice.

I need to get one for my PVS-14...
2x
The aimpoint PRO is a fantastic entry level aimpoint.

I'd suggest to upgrade that stock, and (like others have stated) stay away from plastic "irons"

Dude - how awesome is it to have a wife that calls you up to say, "Honey, I just picked up 1000 rds of .223"

Lucky dog!
Originally Posted by Ivan

I'd suggest to upgrade that stock, and (like others have stated) stay away from plastic "irons"

Dude - how awesome is it to have a wife that calls you up to say, "Honey, I just picked up 1000 rds of .223"

Lucky dog!

Second person to say this, about polymer irons. Might be true of other brands, but MBUS are actually more robust than metal sights, in drop tests.
Originally Posted by Ivan

Lucky dog!

the plan is to get one of the Mako stocks, need the adjustability so the wife and i can both shoot it...the Mako seems to get us there with the most reasonable price plus its pretty highly thought of by those using them....

[Linked Image]

oh and believe me i know how lucky i am with my wife grin figured if i was gonna plan on spending the rest of my life with someone prolly best if that someone likes what i do and when she dropped into my lap i refuesed to let her go....she is out at elk camp now looking to put a pointy stick through the chest cavety of one....
That has to be the most ridiculous stock I've ever seen.
aint if you and your wife are on opposite ends of the physical build spectrum......makes it nice in that even though she is a shooter and a hunter she doesnt steal my guns.....makes it a PITA in that there are few guns that fit us both OK.....looking for adjustability without a full blown, heavy, sniper style stock....
What optic are you running, a dot on a flat top rail?
a Vortex Strikefire...

[Linked Image]

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strikefire-red-dot-scope-for-ar15
I dunno Rattler. I've seen guys built like linebackers, skinny little fellas about 5'07" tall and a fella so tall and lanky we nicknamed him "The Kudu" all use the same AR and optic combo without needing something like that.

I guess if it works go ahead, but I can't imagine needing something like that unless your optic was mounted on top of a carry handle or something.
I share my AR's with my daughters. I'm 6' and 230 pounds, they are not even close yet we all manage to shoot the SOPMOD stocks and CTR's by just closing the stock. Optics are Aimpoint ML3, Micros, eo-thingies and various scopes.

Never seen the need for the high rise cheek piece, except when I ran an ACOG on the carry handle. I'll never do that again.
Thats you and your daughters not me and my wife.....with a straight classic style stock i need high rings to get everything to line up.....with a high humpback monte carlo stock my wife needs a scope mounted as low as possible....our cheek bones are on opposite ends of the scale.....since they are your daughters chances are your bone structure is similar and you mainly have to worry about differences in length of pull
I bought my first AR a couple months ago. New England is going to HECK in a hand basket with regard to gun owner's rights so I shelled out $1700 for an Adcor Defense Bear. It's a very nice piston system gun and I can see why they get so much for it. I put Troy flip up sights on it and shot a couple boxes of ammo and went right out and bought a nice new EOTECH. Back out the range, I sighted in at 50 yards and put 9 out of 10 rounds into a 4" bullseye. I went back to 100 yards and I laid down and put 10 out of 10 in the bullseye. A second trip to the range, a third, and heck a fourth and I'm noticing it's hard to miss. I understand why I see so many in combat footage on tv. My friend DJ, who is a Marine and Iraq war veteran opened a gun shop about a year ago and I got it from him. He used them in combat and said that most people love them. I think mine is sweet.
That cheek piece is crazy, woah. Nose to the charging handle, don't forget, lol.
you realize its adjustable up and down and down aint much higher than the normal stock(which is where i would want it)....kinda nice that she doesnt fit the guns i do other wise she would have stole my Kimber Montana a long time ago but when you dont have the cash to build two AR's at the moment it makes things a bit more interesting.....infact the only gun i regularly shoot that she also does before this AR is my Marlin Guide gun but she only ever shoots it with warm 45 colt level loads at close targets so a proper cheek weld isnt a big deal....other than that she has her guns and i have mine...
© 24hourcampfire