Home
Posted By: beretzs PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/07/19
I know there are some 22 Nosler guys here but I picked up a 224 Valkyrie a few months ago. I did a ten shot load work up but I haven’t had a chance to put them on paper.. I was long overdue.

Anyhow, I was pretty happy with the gun yesterday. I used RL17 and it works for about 2950’ish with the 75 grain ELD M’s. Can’t wait to try the 88’s next.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty darned fun rifle though and pretty zippy for a 20” barrel.
Posted By: 79S Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/07/19
You shooting those 75 trainers single shot. Please excuse my ignorance don't know much on the 224 valk.
Posted By: beretzs Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/07/19
Originally Posted by 79S
You shooting those 75 trainers single shot. Please excuse my ignorance don't know much on the 224 valk.

No sir, they fit in the mags and function well 79S.. I’m planning to get the 88’s up pretty quick as well. The 224 Valk was made to run the heavies through the 6.8 SPC mags. Pretty cool little cartridge. Pretty cheap way to get into an AR15 that’ll chuck heavies.
Posted By: 79S Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/07/19
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

No sir, they fit in the mags and function well 79S.. I’m planning to get the 88’s up pretty quick as well. The 224 Valk was made to run the heavies through the 6.8 SPC mags. Pretty cool little cartridge. Pretty cheap way to get into an AR15 that’ll chuck heavies.

Hmmm I might have to get me a upper..
Posted By: TWR Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/07/19
I was talking to a buddy about his 223AI this morning. He's getting 3000 fps with 75 gr Hornady HPBT's so if you're getting 2950ish with the 75 ELD's that fit in a magazine, you just showed me why the Valkyrie exists. Thanks.
Nice! I've been looking at the 224V lately. I see PSA has the 1/6.5 twist too.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Nice! I've been looking at the 224V lately. I see PSA has the 1/6.5 twist too.

I KNOW! I just saw that. Mines a 7 twist but seems to be fine and I think the 88’s will be good with the 7. Their 6.5 twist upper is a good deal. I’m pretty happy with mine so far.
Here are a couple pictures of the loaded rounds with the 75 ELD M

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These were my recorded speeds from the Magnetospeed

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RickyD Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/07/19
Good read. I picked up a PSA Valkyrie a few months ago, too. Mine is also a 1/7. I bought some American Eagle 70 grains to break it in and get some brass. It was really cheap like 8 bucks a box on sale. After shooting several 5 shot groups and all being at or under 1", I bought more. I haven't loaded for it yet as I am still getting my reloading room ready for action. That should be done this week and the Valkyrie will be first on the list. I'm hoping to find the right powder so I can go to the 75's, 77's, 80's and 90's, too. We'll see.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/07/19
Who made the gun / upper? Barrel?

MM
MM, mines all PSA. No idea who makes their barrels.

RickyD, same experience with the 75 grain AE ammo. It is ridiculously cheap and I couldn’t believe how well it shot. I should’ve bought a case of the stuff.
Posted By: RickyD Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/07/19

RickyD, same experience with the 75 grain AE ammo. It is ridiculously cheap and I couldn’t believe how well it shot. I should’ve bought a case of the stuff.

I misspoke. Mine is the 75 grain AE, also. At it's current PSA price of 10.99 it's still cheap.
Posted By: 79S Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/08/19

All but the high end psa barrels are made in house..
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/08/19
Originally Posted by 79S

What's "high end"? Stainless?

Thought FN was making most of their barrels?

Seems to be a lot of guessing w/o much for facts.

I like to buy my barrels from a known barrel supply source....................just sayin. when they won't tell ya, kinda makes ya wonder.

So at least if I buy a 2nd one, I sort of have a chance of getting the same product again..................WOA, Compass Lake, RISE, Kreiger, BHW, just to name a few.

MM
Posted By: Certifiable Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19
All the uppers from PSA seem to be out of stock now. If you guys that have them don’t mind me asking, what we’re they going for
Posted By: beretzs Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by Certifiable
All the uppers from PSA seem to be out of stock now. If you guys that have them don’t mind me asking, what we’re they going for

400 is what I paid for mine.

No idea if the barrel is good or not, but it shoots decent enough right now.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by 79S

Can you give a source for PSA making their own barrels?
Posted By: 79S Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by 79S

What's "high end"? Stainless?

Thought FN was making most of their barrels?

Seems to be a lot of guessing w/o much for facts.

I like to buy my barrels from a known barrel supply source....................just sayin. when they won't tell ya, kinda makes ya wonder.

So at least if I buy a 2nd one, I sort of have a chance of getting the same product again..................WOA, Compass Lake, RISE, Kreiger, BHW, just to name a few.

MM

10-4.

Sounds like a great deal to get into a Valkyrie. Keep us posted on how it works for you in the long run. Also, a 1 in 7 twist shooting heavies at those speeds sounds like a lot of fun....
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by 79S

Can you give a source for PSA making their own barrels?

AR15.com under the industry forums click on PSA look for who makes the PSA nitride barrels and PSA states they roll there own nitride and stainless barrels. There CHF barrels are made by FN.... so take that for what it's worth..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sounds like a great deal to get into a Valkyrie. Keep us posted on how it works for you in the long run. Also, a 1 in 7 twist shooting heavies at those speeds sounds like a lot of fun....

It's like a AR15 bonanza up here guys selling stuff cheap. But I been to the range and seen owners running AR15 hard. But a guy is selling a nib upper w/bcg in 224 Valkyrie for $350 might have to see if they still have it.
Posted By: beretzs Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19

It's a pretty fun rifle really. For me, it's nice to buy cases, stuff then with a good powder and get good accuracy with the 75's and 88's. The 75's are doing 2950, no idea where the 88's will fall out just yet, but I would suspect 2700-2750.
Posted By: TWR Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/Who-manufactures-the-Freedom-nitride-barrels-/301-290661/
Im just waiting for Larue to bring out an ultimate upper grin . I see a lot of brass on the shelves, locally, for the Valkyrie. Looks awfully tempting.
Posted By: RickyD Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by 79S

FWIW: https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/PSA_Barrels___The_Definitive_Thread_/301-282449/
Posted By: RickyD Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19
Originally Posted by 79S

It's like a AR15 bonanza up here guys selling stuff cheap. But I been to the range and seen owners running AR15 hard. But a guy is selling a nib upper w/bcg in 224 Valkyrie for $350 might have to see if they still have it.

I gave 349.99 for my 20" Valkyrie upper last August 15th. That included shipping.

I have not loaded for it yet but relatively cheap AE rounds shoot to an inch for 5 at 100 yards. When the weather permits I'll shoot two 10 round groups with the AE stuff and see what they do. I'll also be loading for it soon.
Im just waiting for Larue to bring out an ultimate upper grin . I see a lot of brass on the shelves, locally, for the Valkyrie. Looks awfully tempting.

I found a bunch at the range one day..always good day when guys just leave it behind..
Originally Posted by 79S

I found a bunch at the range one day..always good day when guys just leave it behind..

Excelentay!!
Posted By: skeen Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/09/19

Wait no more - https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/

I'm tempted myself.
Originally Posted by skeen

Wait no more - https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/

I'm tempted myself.

Oh man, thats sweet!!! Thanks for posting this. Im going to look into that one. Ill try to get just the upper. I already have a new mbt2s, so dont need that or a lower parts kit. Larue has been getting a lot of praise. I know formid always says thats the upper he'd get.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/10/19
Given the general quality of LaRue products & that a trigger is included, that's a pretty good price, alright.

I've been dancing around a 224V waiting for all the bugs to get worked out & this is very tempting even though I'm in the process of getting parts for a different build.

I didn't see what they said anywhere what the twist was.............anyone know for sure?

MM
Posted By: skeen Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/10/19
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I didn't see what they said anywhere what the twist was.............anyone know for sure?

MM

Mark LaRue posted on this thread in AR15 that the barrels were 1 in 7" twist.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/-224-Valkyrie-Twist-Change-/121-724328/
Im going to contact Larue and see if i can just buy the upper. Sorry scotty for the diversion in your PSA thread, but thanks to you and some YouTube videos, im damned interested in the Valkyrie.
Posted By: beretzs Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/10/19
No worries. All good here.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: PSA AR15 224 Valkyrie - 01/10/19
BSA let us know what they say about an only upper option if you would please

Yep. No problem. I figured id just throw that upper on my Noveske lower. That thing is already set up just how i want it. An upper like that would be the way to go.

Talked to a guy named brad. He says they cant sell just the upper. It seems its too much of an inconvenience. He says they sell it as a "kit" and they cant remove parts from the kit. Since when do you need a trigger and LPK for an upper?? Granted, the mbt2s is a hell of a good trigger and a good buy in that kit, but ive already got one of those triggers on the shelf. I really dont need another one. Like most of you here, i also have a few spare LPK's as well. Just relaying what brad told me guys.
I just picked up a Wilson Combat .224Val barrel it is twisted 6.5. I haven't built it up yet, but I like what I have been reading so far.
© 24hourcampfire