Home
Posted By: thumbcocker defense ammo - 02/22/20
Would winchester usa ready 223 with the 60 grain hollow point be a good defense ammo?
Posted By: UPhiker Re: defense ammo - 02/23/20
Just about anything would work. If the first round doesn't stop them, shoot'em again...just like a 9mm.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: defense ammo - 02/23/20
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Just about anything would work. If the first round doesn't stop them, shoot'em again...just like a 9mm.

Lol, I hear you.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: defense ammo - 02/26/20
62 grain federal fusion
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: defense ammo - 02/26/20
Thumb,

Buy a few boxes.

See how it shoot in YOUR rifle.

Shoot some milk jugs, see how the bullets react.

Same with some barrier material.

Give us a range report.

Your personal circumstances matter as well. City? Country? Bangers or bear?
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: defense ammo - 02/26/20
Originally Posted by jimmyp
62 grain federal fusion

This. I prefer the "MSR" version as it is quieter and cleaner.
Posted By: skitish Re: defense ammo - 02/26/20
Look at your environment, in an apartment or housing area where the dwelling are close together .223 or 5.56 over penetration is going to be a very real concern. Frangible varmint bullets might be a better choice. As stated above, "shoot em again".
Posted By: jimmyp Re: defense ammo - 02/26/20
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
62 grain federal fusion

shooting cleaner??
Posted By: BigNate Re: defense ammo - 02/26/20
My house gun is loaded with Black Hills 77gr OTM. First choice. One very important question though, how long a barrel?

Because the longer barrels increase velocity it tends to be shallower penetration than some like. The 64gr BSB is another favorite if you are using a longer barrel. I have some 75gr Hornady but haven't done much with them yet.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: defense ammo - 02/26/20
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Lol, I hear you.

Now that is freeking funny.
Id use something with the 77TMK. It passes the fbi penetration requirements
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: defense ammo - 02/26/20
I live out in the country. I just boughty a box of federal fusion 62 grainers , but I haven't had a chance to shoot any because of the weather. Hopefully this weekend. I confess ignorance on anything related to these rifles. Ioriginally bought it in response to the rally in Virginia. Now, I can't seem to put it down! I love this little rifle. I have 100 rounds of winchester usa ready ammo 62 grain coming by friday. I will give a range report too. Thanks for all of the replies.
I live out in the country. I just boughty a box of federal fusion 62 grainers , but I haven't had a chance to shoot any because of the weather. Hopefully this weekend. I confess ignorance on anything related to these rifles. Ioriginally bought it in response to the rally in Virginia. Now, I can't seem to put it down! I love this little rifle. I have 100 rounds of winchester usa ready ammo 62 grain coming by friday. I will give a range report too. Thanks for all of the replies.

Thats cool that you love it. They sure can be addicting and fun to shoot. My ar's are also just about as accurate as my bolt guns, which makes them interesting. Good luck with yours.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: defense ammo - 02/28/20
62, 64 gold dot, or 75 bthp
Posted By: gunzo Re: defense ammo - 02/28/20
For folks not concerned about over penetration, or would like good penetration, but still desire a VG AP bullet,,,,,,,

Does a mixed or staggered load in a mag, a HP, then a green tip, & so on have any merit?
Posted By: Lennie Re: defense ammo - 02/28/20
Get a case of mark 318. First choice for Seals and Marines
Posted By: UPhiker Re: defense ammo - 02/28/20
The best load for the military may not be the best for civilians. Remember that they have to abide by international law and cannot use expanding bullets.
Posted By: gunzo Re: defense ammo - 02/28/20
Originally Posted by gunzo
For folks not concerned about over penetration, or would like good penetration, but still desire a VG AP bullet,,,,,,,

Does a mixed or staggered load in a mag, a HP, then a green tip, & so on have any merit?

I meant AP to be anti personnel, not armor piercing. So,does the MK318 still apply?
Posted By: jimmyp Re: defense ammo - 02/28/20

You are overthinking it. I would be satisfied with M193 if that's all I had. I figure in a 16 inch barrel at SD ranges it would suffice.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: defense ammo - 02/28/20
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
62 grain federal fusion

shooting cleaner??

Yes, less powder residue in the barrel, or so it appears to me.
Posted By: gunzo Re: defense ammo - 02/29/20

You are overthinking it. I would be satisfied with M193 if that's all I had. I figure in a 16 inch barrel at SD ranges it would suffice.

I suppose I've failed to make my point; if I don't have the proper ammo, I'll get it.. But as it stands, I have HP, 193 & green tip. If there is a better all around for stopping c----suckers in my house, & then stopping their accomplices trying to leave my driveway in a car or pickup, I want to learn what it is, thats all. grin
Posted By: UPhiker Re: defense ammo - 02/29/20
What's he's trying to tell you is that they all work. A rifle isn't like a handgun with only marginal penetration or narrow velocity parameters. Also, if they're leaving, shooting may get you in trouble, depending on the jurisdiction.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: defense ammo - 02/29/20
FWIW, hand loaded 55 and 62 gr TSX, 64gr Nosler bonded, and factory loaded Federal 62gr bonded [I think it's a Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullet] all land in a snuff can at 50 yards thru EO-Tech 556's, plenty good enough for home and around the farm.
Posted By: gunzo Re: defense ammo - 02/29/20
I hear ya UP.

Sometimes I like the best it can be. An OK load, is usually, OK. But why not have the best 'ya can when the SHTF ????
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: defense ammo - 02/29/20

That's what mag couplers are for.

Mag of varmit/hp bullets in the magazine well, coupled to your barrier penetrating selection.

Think 60gn nbt's paired with the 64gr bsb's.
Or if you prefer, 52gr ncc and 60gr partitions.
Posted By: CEoW717 Re: defense ammo - 02/29/20
Would winchester usa ready 223 with the 60 grain hollow point be a good defense ammo?

You’ve got 30 rounds standard. I think you’ll be fine no matter what. If you only thing you’ll get a couple off, nothing beats 00 buck in the home.
Posted By: rost495 Re: defense ammo - 02/29/20
Dance with what you brung.

But to answer the question, a failsafe for us is 75 bthp. Bullets were cheaper than 77s. Load em in bulk with RL15 decent accuracy though Hornady never has given top accuracy for us. We grab it in a hurry if no time to think etc...

Loading 50 ttsx for the wife for a carbine for her daily driver. Short barrel. Will do fine on just about anything from people to pigs and in between.

We do keep a shotgun in the house. But prefer the AR if it came down to it. For buckshot to work its magic it needs distance to open up, at home ranges its about like a slug which isn't a bad thing, but I have more rounds and less recoil with the AR.

If I could just talk myself into half a dozen more suppressors now...
Posted By: jimmyp Re: defense ammo - 03/01/20
From any Ar15 at room ranges almost anything will work.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: defense ammo - 03/01/20

Hell, I'd put tracers in there too while you are at it...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: defense ammo - 03/01/20

I suppose I've failed to make my point; if I don't have the proper ammo, I'll get it.. But as it stands, I have HP, 193 & green tip. If there is a better all around for stopping c----suckers in my house, & then stopping their accomplices trying to leave my driveway in a car or pickup, I want to learn what it is, thats all. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

^^^^^^^^and you know how the rest of it goes. I'd be using my AR10 308, if worried about cars or pickups.... Also, if they are leaving your driveway, there would be no need to shoot anymore.. I think they would have gotten the picture... Maybe
Posted By: 79S Re: defense ammo - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

^^^^^^^^and you know how the rest of it goes. I'd be using my AR10 308, if worried about cars or pickups.... Also, if they are leaving your driveway, there would be no need to shoot anymore.. I think they would have gotten the picture... Maybe

That's what my m1 garand is for. I have 8 enblocs loaded with 168gr hornady bthp. I really need to load more ammo up for that ol m1..
Posted By: gunner500 Re: defense ammo - 03/01/20
Same here men, guess I load about four different rounds for my house and farm 7.62/308's, 130gr TTSX, 150gr Partitions, 155 Scenars, and 176gr Lehighs, thinking a man could handle about anything anywhere in a pinch with those.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: defense ammo - 03/01/20
I keep an AR by the backdoor loaded with 50 gr hollow points, another by the sliding door to the deck loaded with 75 gr HPs, and one upstairs loaded with either 60 gr Nosler Partitions or 64 gr Winchester Power Points. The first two are kept for use on coyotes and other pests but I would not hesitate to grab either if needed against intruders.

The third is primarily for home defense though it has proven itself culling many deer with the chosen loads. When I'm out of the current loads I'll probably opt for some other 60-65 gr bullet. Pretty much anything is going to leave enough of a mark to change one's attitude. Especially, if shot again as needed.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: defense ammo - 03/02/20
shooting meat targets through walls.

Buckshot, birdshot,
.223 fmj, HP
.30 carbine fmj and hp.

Posted By: gunzo Re: defense ammo - 03/02/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

OK, AR 15 behind bedroom door with Speer 52 HP's. You might have to have Servpro come in & clean up the house afterward, so they just as well earn their keep. I don't have an AR 10 so the M1A will have to do for the driveway. We have a new sheriff in town that hasn't been really tested, but the old one would give a homeowner 5 or 10 minutes to "question" accomplices of a break in. cool

Who's the maker of the scope on the AR10 ?
© 24hourcampfire