Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by gunzo
For folks not concerned about over penetration, or would like good penetration, but still desire a VG AP bullet,,,,,,,

Does a mixed or staggered load in a mag, a HP, then a green tip, & so on have any merit?

You are overthinking it. I would be satisfied with M193 if that's all I had. I figure in a 16 inch barrel at SD ranges it would suffice.

I suppose I've failed to make my point; if I don't have the proper ammo, I'll get it.. But as it stands, I have HP, 193 & green tip. If there is a better all around for stopping c----suckers in my house, & then stopping their accomplices trying to leave my driveway in a car or pickup, I want to learn what it is, thats all. grin

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
What's he's trying to tell you is that they all work. A rifle isn't like a handgun with only marginal penetration or narrow velocity parameters. Also, if they're leaving, shooting may get you in trouble, depending on the jurisdiction.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
FWIW, hand loaded 55 and 62 gr TSX, 64gr Nosler bonded, and factory loaded Federal 62gr bonded [I think it's a Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullet] all land in a snuff can at 50 yards thru EO-Tech 556's, plenty good enough for home and around the farm.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I hear ya UP.

Sometimes I like the best it can be. An OK load, is usually, OK. But why not have the best 'ya can when the SHTF ????

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
For folks not concerned about over penetration, or would like good penetration, but still desire a VG AP bullet,,,,,,,

Does a mixed or staggered load in a mag, a HP, then a green tip, & so on have any merit?

That's what mag couplers are for.

Mag of varmit/hp bullets in the magazine well, coupled to your barrier penetrating selection.

Think 60gn nbt's paired with the 64gr bsb's.
Or if you prefer, 52gr ncc and 60gr partitions.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/28/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Would winchester usa ready 223 with the 60 grain hollow point be a good defense ammo?

You’ve got 30 rounds standard. I think you’ll be fine no matter what. If you only thing you’ll get a couple off, nothing beats 00 buck in the home.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dance with what you brung.

But to answer the question, a failsafe for us is 75 bthp. Bullets were cheaper than 77s. Load em in bulk with RL15 decent accuracy though Hornady never has given top accuracy for us. We grab it in a hurry if no time to think etc...

Loading 50 ttsx for the wife for a carbine for her daily driver. Short barrel. Will do fine on just about anything from people to pigs and in between.

We do keep a shotgun in the house. But prefer the AR if it came down to it. For buckshot to work its magic it needs distance to open up, at home ranges its about like a slug which isn't a bad thing, but I have more rounds and less recoil with the AR.

If I could just talk myself into half a dozen more suppressors now...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
From any Ar15 at room ranges almost anything will work.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Hell, I'd put tracers in there too while you are at it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You are overthinking it. I would be satisfied with M193 if that's all I had. I figure in a 16 inch barrel at SD ranges it would suffice.

I suppose I've failed to make my point; if I don't have the proper ammo, I'll get it.. But as it stands, I have HP, 193 & green tip. If there is a better all around for stopping c----suckers in my house, & then stopping their accomplices trying to leave my driveway in a car or pickup, I want to learn what it is, thats all. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

^^^^^^^^and you know how the rest of it goes. I'd be using my AR10 308, if worried about cars or pickups.... Also, if they are leaving your driveway, there would be no need to shoot anymore.. I think they would have gotten the picture... Maybe

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

^^^^^^^^and you know how the rest of it goes. I'd be using my AR10 308, if worried about cars or pickups.... Also, if they are leaving your driveway, there would be no need to shoot anymore.. I think they would have gotten the picture... Maybe

That's what my m1 garand is for. I have 8 enblocs loaded with 168gr hornady bthp. I really need to load more ammo up for that ol m1..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Same here men, guess I load about four different rounds for my house and farm 7.62/308's, 130gr TTSX, 150gr Partitions, 155 Scenars, and 176gr Lehighs, thinking a man could handle about anything anywhere in a pinch with those.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I keep an AR by the backdoor loaded with 50 gr hollow points, another by the sliding door to the deck loaded with 75 gr HPs, and one upstairs loaded with either 60 gr Nosler Partitions or 64 gr Winchester Power Points. The first two are kept for use on coyotes and other pests but I would not hesitate to grab either if needed against intruders.

The third is primarily for home defense though it has proven itself culling many deer with the chosen loads. When I'm out of the current loads I'll probably opt for some other 60-65 gr bullet. Pretty much anything is going to leave enough of a mark to change one's attitude. Especially, if shot again as needed.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
shooting meat targets through walls.

Buckshot, birdshot,
.223 fmj, HP
.30 carbine fmj and hp.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

OK, AR 15 behind bedroom door with Speer 52 HP's. You might have to have Servpro come in & clean up the house afterward, so they just as well earn their keep. I don't have an AR 10 so the M1A will have to do for the driveway. We have a new sheriff in town that hasn't been really tested, but the old one would give a homeowner 5 or 10 minutes to "question" accomplices of a break in. cool

Who's the maker of the scope on the AR10 ?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 1,688 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,093
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.