Home
Posted By: randolph45 Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/13/20
Finishing up an AR build that is primarily for home / personal defense, which sight would you go with, and why? Looking for pros and cons.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/13/20
Aim point micro and stream light TLR-1
Hard to beat this advise.

I like the Sig Romeo 5 as an optic, as well.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
I've got the Primary Arms 1X prism on the house gun. Why, because the diopter adjustment is nice for my older eyes, and it can run with or without battery power.

Light is the Cloud Defensive OWL.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've got the Primary Arms 1X prism on the house gun. Why, because the diopter adjustment is nice for my older eyes, and it can run with or without battery power.

I like that set-up!
Originally Posted by Nebraska

I like that set-up!

The upper is from PSA. It's one of the FN barreled, CHF double chrome-lined, 14.7" pinned/welded. Lower I put together myself. It's a nice combo for closer distances. It's loaded up with Magtech 77gr OTM.
Some sort of Aimpoint and either a Streamlight or Surefire. Owl if you’re baller. If it’s intended for inside your house you won’t need excessive light, but the more the merrier.
Originally Posted by jimmyp

^^^^ +1.

And Magpul Pro BUIS.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/14/20

I love my PA Cyclops scope , I have bad eyes and it works so much better for me than a red dot. I also dig the etched reticle.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/14/20
There is no way in hell that I'd fire an AR indoors without serious hearing protection or at least a silencer. Especially a shorty. My ears ring just thinking about it!
Posted By: BigNate Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/14/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone
There is no way in hell that I'd fire an AR indoors without serious hearing protection or at least a silencer. Especially a shorty. My ears ring just thinking about it!

HaHa, wrong! If the situation arises you won't even think about it! If you live through it you'll likely not realize anything was loud until it's over, you lived through it, and as the adrenaline wears off you'll have ringing in your ears.

If you think an AR will be loud you've never been around a short barreled .357 fired unexpectedly. It's literally painful.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/14/20
to the OP.. mine is simple 16" carbine, EOtech, Olight PL2. it's loaded with Black Hills 77gr OTM. My suppressor is on it right now, but I plan to do an SBR or pistol to shorten it up.
Posted By: atse Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/14/20
The eotech was really nice, but we had issues with the one we used in the helicopter holding zero. The rotor vibration would cause the poi to shift as much as 5" . So I guess it depends on how hard you are on it. We switched to an aimpoint. No issues yet. I think the eotech was better for close work, if it would have stayed zeroed. There is a fair bit of reading about the eotechs not holding up if you care to search it. I talked to their reps, and they were not helpful at all. There were about 10 hoops to jump through to get the sight fixed or replaced. It is still sitting in my drawer.

MM,

I haven't used the 1x PA, but I really like the 2.5x from PA. I have it mounted on a 16" mid-length gas upper, stainless 7-twist, from PSA. Each time I shoot that configuration, I am super impressed.

I am also a fan of the etched reticle. I can use it as a red dot at close range. I don't think the holdover points are practical or useful, but this carbine isn't used past 200 - 300 yards.

Jason

Posted By: TWR Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/14/20
This is my house gun I guess, I’ve had two occasions to search the house I’ve grabbed a pistol both times.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It’s a Colt 6720 with an EOTECH and a TLR-1 light backed up with Daniel Defense fixed rear iron sight just in case. I also have a Geissele Single Stage Precision trigger. Other changes were the MagPul furniture and a BCM brake.

I’ve heard all the EOThingy bashing before but this new version built after they supposedly fixed their issues has worked perfectly for me. But I could grab any of my scoped guns and not be handicapped, they are all set up with a light. And so are my pistols.
Originally Posted by 4th_point

MM,

I haven't used the 1x PA, but I really like the 2.5x from PA. I have it mounted on a 16" mid-length gas upper, stainless 7-twist, from PSA. Each time I shoot that configuration, I am super impressed.

I am also a fan of the etched reticle. I can use it as a red dot at close range. I don't think the holdover points are practical or useful, but this carbine isn't used past 200 - 300 yards.

Jason

That 2.5X looks super practical.

I've got PA prism sights in 1X, 3X, and 5X. I like them all. I probably 'need' a 2.5X also.
Posted By: jeeper Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/14/20

MM,

Jason

That 2.5X looks super practical.

I've got PA prism sights in 1X, 3X, and 5X. I like them all. I probably 'need' a 2.5X also.

I'm wanting to ck out the new 2x .

I bet the 3x is just as good or better than the 2.5x.

On the 3x and 5x, does the illumination control have an off setting in between the marked levels? On the 2.5x, there is only one off setting.

J

I bet the 3x is just as good or better than the 2.5x.

On the 3x and 5x, does the illumination control have an off setting in between the marked levels? On the 2.5x, there is only one off setting.

J

Same with the 3X and 5x. The illum will shut off between settings, but there is no detent to click into.
Thanks for the reply, MM.

Jason
Originally Posted by jeeper

I didn't know about the new 2x until I saw your post. Sounds like it was announced at SHOT but not available yet. Thanks for the heads up.
Originally Posted by jeeper

I didn't know about the new 2x until I saw your post. Sounds like it was announced at SHOT but not available yet. Thanks for the heads up.

I just saw info on the 2X a few days back too. Primary Arms is really covering a lot of ground.

I wonder how the Covid-19 will affect all this, with PA's product being made in China.
Thanks for all the input..
Anyone have any experience with this Vortex Strikefire II?
Originally Posted by randolph45
Thanks for all the input..
Anyone have any experience with this Vortex Strikefire II?

Blue does.

The don't hold up well to anything but casual shooting. Not a product to trust with your life.
Thanks! I know they have a great warranty to them. I'm looking into the aimpoint micro, and this primary arms more. Thanks!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Home / Personal Defense AR - 03/17/20
Aim point micro takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. TWR I like that 6720 set up.
Originally Posted by BigNate
Originally Posted by Tyrone

HaHa, wrong! If the situation arises you won't even think about it! If you live through it you'll likely not realize anything was loud until it's over, you lived through it, and as the adrenaline wears off you'll have ringing in your ears.

If you think an AR will be loud you've never been around a short barreled .357 fired unexpectedly. It's literally painful.

I disagree. It will be like a flash/bang and disorienting. Not something you wish to practice also.
© 24hourcampfire