Home
Posted By: gunzo BUS on your self defense rifle? - 05/30/20
With a scope or a red dot?

Old school here & still not trusting optics, my dedicated self defense riles have back up sights, even though I don't see the front too well.

I'm not in the habit of dropping rifles, but my AR pistol kinda got away from me & bounced on the concrete from just a foot or two. Naturally, what hit first? My red dot of course. It seemed OK, but then I noticed a crack in an internal lens. I haven't checked on paper yet, but it can't be good.

Had the sights been flipped up, or fixed, doubt any damage would have happened. But as tough as it was the optic didn't fare well. Back ups are sill a big deal for me. You?
I lean toward ARs with a front sight base type of gas block. If I'm using optics, I like to keep a carry handle or other type of rear iron in my kit.

I'm not too concerned about immediate transition to irons...just yet.
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I lean toward ARs with a front sight base type of gas block. If I'm using optics, I like to keep a carry handle or other type of rear iron in my kit.

Would something like a Colt A2 with carry handle and fixed front sight be the ultimate SHTF rifle? Simple and effective... I'm not talking precision shot placement, just mom..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Would something like a Colt A2 with carry handle and fixed front sight be the ultimate SHTF rifle? Simple and effective... I'm not talking precision shot placement, just mom..

I like the simplicity/durability of the A2. I've got two actually, a 20" Colt SP1, and a 16" Dissipator frankenbuild.

I don't know if it would be 'ultimate' or not, kind of subjective. It would not be horrible, that's for sure. Like everything, there are compromises. Giving up some capabilities in exchange for rugged simplicity.
If a red dot is used I prefer the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear and the standard front sight tower pinned to the barrel. If using an extended rail, the DD fixed front is good too.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
the A1 sight is as trouble free as a sight can be.

Scoped rifles always get Troy flip ups. They just look naked without them.
[Linked Image from huntingmark.com]
Yes and I greatly prefer the M4 style front that Dan has above than the HK style.
Originally Posted by TWR
Yes and I greatly prefer the M4 style front that Dan has above than the HK style.

Same - I’ve added iron backups to nearly all scoped and RDO rifles. I’m in the M-4 style fan club as well.

Cowitness or 1/3 - you pick what works best for you for your RDO.

That said - you’d be hard pressed to break the EoTech with the shroud. They take a beating for the average shooter and don’t break.

I’ve have cracked the lens in a Delta Point Pro, but it was a drop from 4-5 feet onto concrete - and yes, it landed upside down...it still shot point of aim, but will need to go back for repair. YMMV

My dot & my sights are co witnessed, but. I have one of those grips with storage, & there is not a spare battery in it. Instead is a wrench to take a dead or broken electric gizmo out of the picture completely.

If I were truly dependent on such a set up, I totally agree that hooded more robust units such as an Eotec are a good idea.
Originally Posted by TWR
If a red dot is used I prefer the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear and the standard front sight tower pinned to the barrel. If using an extended rail, the DD fixed front is good too.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
the A1 sight is as trouble free as a sight can be.

Scoped rifles always get Troy flip ups. They just look naked without them.

LIKE, damn nice, not overdone lightweight.

Did you have to have a triangle front forearm ring to use that particular unit. Magpul's description is unclear to me, & I keep forgetting to call.
No those use the round end cap. It's a Colt 6720
But I will add, if you ever get em on, you'll never get em off without breaking them. Dang they fit tight.
Originally Posted by gunzo

Yes, BUIS for rifles with RDS and prism scopes. Daniel Defense fixed rear for RDS; flip-up rear for prism. FSB for both.

No BUIS for standard scoped rifles, but they are medium-range plinkers.
No. The real world chances my Aimpoint will fail when needed are pretty darn small.
Damn, does it have to have a short barrel on it to be considered my "defense rifle"??? I can use any of my rifles to defend myself. Even the old SKS with irons would make short work for defensive work....:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Straight up old school irons on this one..

If I'm allowed to use a 20" barreled rifle with scope, I'd use the BUIS I've been using for the last few weeks. The beauty in these sights is I can hit accurately and a long way out there, no scope needed:

A grey digger ran across the hillside the other day when I was shooting and lets just say, he didn't make it...:
I prefer fixed irons with an RDS. For a real use scoped gun I’d have them I guess.

What I’d prefer for a scoped gun is an offset dot and no irons.
you like the offset dot as offset irons are not as easy to line up? I am surprised so many like a rifle with an A1 or A2 front sight base. I had always thought that a free floated barrel was more accurate, I am not sure how easy it is to FF a gun with a FSB? Blue your last build did not have a FSB did it?
The national match guns have FSB’s and free float tubes that look like A2 hand guards. Free floated barrels tend to be more accurate. My little 6720 above is accurate enough for its intended role but won’t make the 24HCF challenge top 20. Yet I wouldn’t hesitate to grab it if the protesters I see on tv start coming down my road.
Have DD rear on one w regular FSB (also wears a RDS).

May yank that rear and put it on a lightweight build (w DD front).
Replace w RR stand alone rear.

Originally Posted by jimmyp
you like the offset dot as offset irons are not as easy to line up? I am surprised so many like a rifle with an A1 or A2 front sight base. I had always thought that a free floated barrel was more accurate, I am not sure how easy it is to FF a gun with a FSB? Blue your last build did not have a FSB did it?

They’re just faster and easier. Same reason I prefer a dot over irons as a primary optic.

No, my last build didn’t have a fsb. It’s got a 1-4 on it and I only added buis because I was required to.
I also have sights like these.

They recently retired from the Navy.

I also have an Eotech on this same rifle and they both play well together.
I have the same dilemma, my AR doesn’t have sights, nor space to install any up front. I have an EOTech 556 on it.

I was thinking about going with a low powered variable scope and not having to rely on batteries. Then I would install the EOTech on my VR80.
Originally Posted by gunzo

Old school here & still not trusting optics, my dedicated self defense riles have back up sights, even though I don't see the front too well.

I'm not in the habit of dropping rifles, but my AR pistol kinda got away from me & bounced on the concrete from just a foot or two. Naturally, what hit first? My red dot of course. It seemed OK, but then I noticed a crack in an internal lens. I haven't checked on paper yet, but it can't be good.

Had the sights been flipped up, or fixed, doubt any damage would have happened. But as tough as it was the optic didn't fare well. Back ups are sill a big deal for me. You?

Just a shout out to Sig here. The red dot in question was a Romeo 5 & I thought I'd broke it. I called Sig & they were immediately ready to help. I looked at the sight again & it seems to be OK. A shadow that they pointed out was adding to my paranoia. Had I been correct, they were ready with a pre-paid shipper.

I do believe in BUS when optics are involved on a battle or SD rifle. But otherwise, Sig is top notch in my book.
© 24hourcampfire