Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
With a scope or a red dot?

Old school here & still not trusting optics, my dedicated self defense riles have back up sights, even though I don't see the front too well.

I'm not in the habit of dropping rifles, but my AR pistol kinda got away from me & bounced on the concrete from just a foot or two. Naturally, what hit first? My red dot of course. It seemed OK, but then I noticed a crack in an internal lens. I haven't checked on paper yet, but it can't be good.

Had the sights been flipped up, or fixed, doubt any damage would have happened. But as tough as it was the optic didn't fare well. Back ups are sill a big deal for me. You?

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I lean toward ARs with a front sight base type of gas block. If I'm using optics, I like to keep a carry handle or other type of rear iron in my kit.

I'm not too concerned about immediate transition to irons...just yet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I lean toward ARs with a front sight base type of gas block. If I'm using optics, I like to keep a carry handle or other type of rear iron in my kit.

Would something like a Colt A2 with carry handle and fixed front sight be the ultimate SHTF rifle? Simple and effective... I'm not talking precision shot placement, just mom..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Would something like a Colt A2 with carry handle and fixed front sight be the ultimate SHTF rifle? Simple and effective... I'm not talking precision shot placement, just mom..

I like the simplicity/durability of the A2. I've got two actually, a 20" Colt SP1, and a 16" Dissipator frankenbuild.

I don't know if it would be 'ultimate' or not, kind of subjective. It would not be horrible, that's for sure. Like everything, there are compromises. Giving up some capabilities in exchange for rugged simplicity.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If a red dot is used I prefer the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear and the standard front sight tower pinned to the barrel. If using an extended rail, the DD fixed front is good too.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
the A1 sight is as trouble free as a sight can be.

Scoped rifles always get Troy flip ups. They just look naked without them.

Last edited by TWR; 05/30/20.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from huntingmark.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes and I greatly prefer the M4 style front that Dan has above than the HK style.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by TWR
Yes and I greatly prefer the M4 style front that Dan has above than the HK style.

Same - I’ve added iron backups to nearly all scoped and RDO rifles. I’m in the M-4 style fan club as well.

Cowitness or 1/3 - you pick what works best for you for your RDO.

That said - you’d be hard pressed to break the EoTech with the shroud. They take a beating for the average shooter and don’t break.

I’ve have cracked the lens in a Delta Point Pro, but it was a drop from 4-5 feet onto concrete - and yes, it landed upside down...it still shot point of aim, but will need to go back for repair. YMMV

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/30/20.
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
My dot & my sights are co witnessed, but. I have one of those grips with storage, & there is not a spare battery in it. Instead is a wrench to take a dead or broken electric gizmo out of the picture completely.

If I were truly dependent on such a set up, I totally agree that hooded more robust units such as an Eotec are a good idea.

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by TWR
If a red dot is used I prefer the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear and the standard front sight tower pinned to the barrel. If using an extended rail, the DD fixed front is good too.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
the A1 sight is as trouble free as a sight can be.

Scoped rifles always get Troy flip ups. They just look naked without them.

LIKE, damn nice, not overdone lightweight.

Did you have to have a triangle front forearm ring to use that particular unit. Magpul's description is unclear to me, & I keep forgetting to call.

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
No those use the round end cap. It's a Colt 6720

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
But I will add, if you ever get em on, you'll never get em off without breaking them. Dang they fit tight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
With a scope or a red dot?

Yes, BUIS for rifles with RDS and prism scopes. Daniel Defense fixed rear for RDS; flip-up rear for prism. FSB for both.

No BUIS for standard scoped rifles, but they are medium-range plinkers.

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/30/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No. The real world chances my Aimpoint will fail when needed are pretty darn small.

Sean
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, does it have to have a short barrel on it to be considered my "defense rifle"??? I can use any of my rifles to defend myself. Even the old SKS with irons would make short work for defensive work....:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Straight up old school irons on this one..

If I'm allowed to use a 20" barreled rifle with scope, I'd use the BUIS I've been using for the last few weeks. The beauty in these sights is I can hit accurately and a long way out there, no scope needed:

A grey digger ran across the hillside the other day when I was shooting and lets just say, he didn't make it...:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer fixed irons with an RDS. For a real use scoped gun I’d have them I guess.

What I’d prefer for a scoped gun is an offset dot and no irons.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you like the offset dot as offset irons are not as easy to line up? I am surprised so many like a rifle with an A1 or A2 front sight base. I had always thought that a free floated barrel was more accurate, I am not sure how easy it is to FF a gun with a FSB? Blue your last build did not have a FSB did it?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The national match guns have FSB’s and free float tubes that look like A2 hand guards. Free floated barrels tend to be more accurate. My little 6720 above is accurate enough for its intended role but won’t make the 24HCF challenge top 20. Yet I wouldn’t hesitate to grab it if the protesters I see on tv start coming down my road.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have DD rear on one w regular FSB (also wears a RDS).

May yank that rear and put it on a lightweight build (w DD front).
Replace w RR stand alone rear.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/31/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
you like the offset dot as offset irons are not as easy to line up? I am surprised so many like a rifle with an A1 or A2 front sight base. I had always thought that a free floated barrel was more accurate, I am not sure how easy it is to FF a gun with a FSB? Blue your last build did not have a FSB did it?

They’re just faster and easier. Same reason I prefer a dot over irons as a primary optic.

No, my last build didn’t have a fsb. It’s got a 1-4 on it and I only added buis because I was required to.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 58 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.