Home
Posted By: Anschutz First No. 1 - 10/06/20
The Ruger No. 1 has been on my bucket list for the last 15 years. Every time I've seen one, I didn't have the money and every time I had the money, I couldn't find one. Finally decided it was time to go to GB to find what I was looking for. The first time I ever saw one was one of Craig Boddington's reviews on the Outdoor Channel and it was always in something big for Africa. I finally found one that was decently priced after weeks of scouring and made a bid. To my surprise, and after several failed attempts, my bid was the winner on a No 1 Tropical in .375 H&H. It's more than I need here in AK but I will not be overgunned for Moose either. I plan to keep it sighted with irons as I can still see them well enough. I'm excited and hopefully it will be a shooter.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20
👍👍
Posted By: doublegunner Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20
Congratulations on the #1. I have a 375 Liberty model that is consistently sub moa with 270gr Horny, 76gr IMR 4350, RP case, Fed 215 mag.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20
order a set of Alaska arms or Warne QR rings for it. That way you can stretch it out with a scope if you want and twist a lever and use the irons. Mine loves everything ive shot in it. My main load is 235 speers over 69gr of rl15.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20
Very cool. My first #1 was a .375 H&H back in about .. '87 I think.

Tom
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20

Originally Posted by Phoneman
order a set of Alaska arms or Warne QR rings for it. That way you can stretch it out with a scope if you want and twist a lever and use the irons. Mine loves everything ive shot in it. My main load is 235 speers over 69gr of rl15.

I may eventually put a scope on it but I'm going to try it with straight irons first.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20
Originally Posted by Anschutz

I may eventually put a scope on it but I'm going to try it with straight irons first.

At one time there were peep sights that'd attach via the Ruger ring slots. If you can find one that might be a worthy upgrade over the factory rear sight .. which I never was very fond of.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

At one time there were peep sights that'd attach via the Ruger ring slots. If you can find one that might be a worthy upgrade over the factory rear sight .. which I never was very fond of.

Skinner makes a peep for the No. 1 that attaches via the two screws in the rear of the rib. I have a set on my Guide Gun and like them. That would be step one if the factory sights leave me wanting more which is likely given my experience with Ruger sights.
Posted By: pete53 Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20
congrats on your first # 1 now buy a boot stock shell holder for this fine rifle
Originally Posted by pete53
congrats on your first # 1 now buy a boot stock shell holder for this fine rifle

A nice leather shell holder will be on the list. Much better than the good old pocket full of shells. This isn't my first rodeo with a single shot as my first rifle was a NEF Handi-Rifle. I was able to get that .243 back in action pretty quick but it required a lot of practice that has definitely degraded by now.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20
I put a set of express sights off the Boddington series on my 375. I called ruger and told them I needed a set for my rifle and they were like $30. Not adjustable but way better than the factory ones to me. NECG makes nice front sights for them and a screw on peep that goes in the ruger ring slots. Im real tempted to put one of those on my 45/70
Posted By: ingwe Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20
One of our good members here bought a #1 Tropical from Mule deer in .375 and uses it a bunch...to good effect!
Posted By: hookeye Re: First No. 1 - 10/06/20

A nice leather shell holder will be on the list. Much better than the good old pocket full of shells. This isn't my first rodeo with a single shot as my first rifle was a NEF Handi-Rifle. I was able to get that .243 back in action pretty quick but it required a lot of practice that has definitely degraded by now.

Falling block is way better than break open IMHO.
Posted By: pete53 Re: First No. 1 - 10/07/20
Originally Posted by hookeye

Falling block is way better than break open IMHO.

agreed its a whole different world
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: First No. 1 - 10/07/20
Here's my latest No. 1, a custom-stocked 1B picked up at Capital Sports a couple weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Shot it for the first time today, and it shoots just as good as it looks.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: First No. 1 - 10/07/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Here's my latest No. 1, a custom-stocked 1B picked up at Capital Sports a couple weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Nice.

What round?

DF
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/07/20
Pete & Hookeye, I agree it's a different world but the process of reloading seems quite similar. Open and eject, retrieve new round, send home, close action and ready.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

[Linked Image]

Nice.

What round?

DF

She's pretty. What caliber? Hopefully something light with that metal buttplate.
Posted By: pete53 Re: First No. 1 - 10/07/20
Pete & Hookeye, I agree it's a different world but the process of reloading seems quite similar. Open and eject, retrieve new round, send home, close action and ready.

with respect, maybe to you it is but the action on a Ruger #1 is safer and a lot stronger for handloads . matter a fact one ammunition company uses Ruger # 1 actions for testing ammo pressure every day and has for many years" over 25 years " . shoot your new to you Ruger # 1 for a while and get back to us, i bet you will agree how much better your Ruger #1 is a very fine rifle and so much safer to use. have a great fall and enjoy your Ruger #1. Pete53

with respect, maybe to you it is but the action on a Ruger #1 is safer and a lot stronger for handloads . matter a fact one ammunition company uses Ruger # 1 actions for testing ammo pressure every day and has for many years" over 25 years " . shoot your new to you Ruger # 1 for a while and get back to us, i bet you will agree how much better your Ruger #1 is a very fine rifle and so much safer to use. have a great fall and enjoy your Ruger #1. Pete53

Pete, I'm not arguing the strength of the action. The Ruger is much stronger than any break action I'm aware of and looks better than any break action that isn't made by Blaser or Merkel (It also isn't costing me $3-5k). I am simply stating that when you have an animal come out and you shoot it, the process of getting a second shot ready is similar. Maybe it's not but I'll see that when I get the rifle in hand and get a chance to shoot it. Maybe we weren't talking the same reloading.
Posted By: hookeye Re: First No. 1 - 10/07/20
I think the reloading ona falling block to be a much smoother affair.

Damn near effortless, no bobble and...... no looking.

That seems like a fair assessment and with the long, slender case of the H&H cartridges, there isn't much to hang up on. I look forward to shooting this rifle. Like I said, it's been on my bucket list for a long while.
Posted By: Potsy Re: First No. 1 - 10/07/20
I still want a #1 .375. Nearly bought one a couple times. Probably don't need it in middle TN, but I probably don't need my .45-70 either.
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/08/20
Originally Posted by Potsy
I still want a #1 .375. Nearly bought one a couple times. Probably don't need it in middle TN, but I probably don't need my .45-70 either.

I didn't need a .45-70 in Georgia for whitetails but I also didn't have to track the one I killed with it. I don't need a .375 here in AK but the added insurance on a 1500lb moose is welcome.
Posted By: hookeye Re: First No. 1 - 10/09/20

That seems like a fair assessment and with the long, slender case of the H&H cartridges, there isn't much to hang up on. I look forward to shooting this rifle. Like I said, it's been on my bucket list for a long while.

Hunted w a couple #1s. About two decades worth.
Had TC Contenders in rifle too. Tolerate in pistol form only.
Getting cranky in my old age.
Posted By: hookeye Re: First No. 1 - 10/09/20
An RSI or A in .35 rem would be cool.
They never made em in that.
Could ream a CHP .357.....but want a non roll marked and theyve gone stupid in price
Posted By: AZ Southpaw Re: First No. 1 - 10/09/20
Congrats on your first #1. My 375 H&H #1 shot EXTREMELY well.
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/09/20
Could ream a CHP .357.....but want a non roll marked and theyve gone stupid in price

That would be fun. Light pistol bullet loads for rabbits or full house for large game. I agree though, not worth getting a CHP. Maybe rebarrel a 450BM?
Posted By: Alaninga Re: First No. 1 - 10/10/20
And so the addiction starts. And nobody warned him it gets easier with each acquisition??....... 🙄. 😆

Congratulations. Every rifleman should experience owning a No.1 at least once. Own it, shoot it, carry it in the woods. Then take it out of the safe in the evening and admire it. Try not to buy too many more... 🤣
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/10/20
Originally Posted by Alaninga
And so the addiction starts. And nobody warned him it gets easier with each acquisition??....... 🙄. 😆

Congratulations. Every rifleman should experience owning a No.1 at least once. Own it, shoot it, carry it in the woods. Then take it out of the safe in the evening and admire it. Try not to buy too many more... 🤣

I'm a sucker for good wood and rifles you can carry all day. Likely won't be the last.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: First No. 1 - 10/11/20
Originally Posted by Alaninga

I'm a sucker for good wood and rifles you can carry all day. Likely won't be the last.

Congrats on the 375. I have one in that caliber and love it. Recently I have picked up a 405 Win and a 35 Whelen. I'm just getting back from Wyoming using a custom #1 in 7MM-08 and took a nice mule deer with it. Unfortunately you wont find nice wood on them any more, the Whelen was marked as A+ wood but that's subjective. It's better than the Lipsey's gun in 250 Savage.
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/12/20
Your 7-08 is gorgeous. I don't need wood like that but don't want plywood either.
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/15/20
Well, she arrived tonight as advertised but the feds have decided I can't have it yet. Hopefully they just need to check something silly like my orders and it'll get done soon.
Posted By: hookeye Re: First No. 1 - 10/15/20

That would be fun. Light pistol bullet loads for rabbits or full house for large game. I agree though, not worth getting a CHP. Maybe rebarrel a 450BM?

Not a fan of .22-250 and know where a mid 70s B model is.

Might end up as the donor
Posted By: GSPfan Re: First No. 1 - 10/16/20
I just bought a Tropical in 35 Rem. A very nice gun and used a varmint 22-250 as a donor for a 300 H&H project which has been completed.
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/20/20
Well, apparently I missed the call from the shop that said I got a proceed on the rifle. Walked in today to look around and the gal behind the counter said she had something for me. My first No. 1 is now mine. I took it to the public range and put 7 rounds through it. Recoil is surprisingly mild. I'd rather shoot this round for round over my Guide Gun with my handloads or hotter. It's barely shooting light so didnt get any groups, just shot in a safe direction. I'm hooked. Pictures to follow once I get my bench built.
Posted By: szihn Re: First No. 1 - 10/20/20
I have owned several over the years, in several calibers. Now I have only one, but I just love it.

Many today make a lot of adoring mention of other single shot guns from Hagans and Dakotas and several others. I like most good SS rifles, but if I totally ignore the bait of "having one you don't" and admit to the pure truth, I like the Ruger at least as well and often even better then most of the others.

Some owners have leveled criticism about #1 accuracy over the years, and much of it is based in truth, but in my experience about 99% of the accuracy issues were related to so-so quality on the barrels Ruger used at times in the past. My current #1 is a 9.3X74R and it's exceptionally accurate. I owned a few others in the past that were consistent sub-MOA shooters too but a few that were 2-34/ to 3.5 MOA shooters. I have rebarreled a few "problem children": when customers asked, and the bad ones shot great once I put a new barrel in them. Overall, I love the #1 actions think highly of them.
Posted By: Tejano Re: First No. 1 - 10/20/20
Congratulations on a fine rifle. I sometimes shoot with a round or two between my fingers on the fore grip like some African PH's do when shooting double rifles. One thing about a single shot is I think I aim a little more carefully then when I know I have back up shots available. I think the NECG sight upgrade would be a big improvement. For non dangerous game I like the 250 & 260 grain bullets as they shoot flatter and kick less than heavier bullets.
The 235 Speer is good for deer but it seems like they are low on the production run priorities so I stock up on them when available.
Posted By: szihn Re: First No. 1 - 10/20/20
Anschutz, you might try 68 grain of IMR 4064 with a good 270 grain bullet. In my old #1 (which I stupidly sold) and also my Mauser (on it's 2nd barrel) , this load shoots extremely well. It kills in line with all the praise I'v ever read about the grand old 375.
The older Hornady Spire Points broke up quite a lot, but their RN did better. Even the spire points did drop elk very well however. With WW Power Points the gun was a death ray on elk and bear.

Used with the new Nosler Partition or Accubond in 260 grain weight you can go up a smidge in the powder charge, but they leave nothing o be desired for killing anything I ever used them on or even saw them used on. Loads around that weight with 4064 seem to shoot well in about any 375 so it's a good starting place for your load work-ups with 260-275 grain bullets.
I also use 4064 for 300 grain bullets, but those I use are all not made anymore except the Partition. Depending on the individual 300 grain bullet bullet I used charges from 66.8 to 68.3 in my Mauser. In my old #1 I used the Hornady RN 300 grain and also the Winchester 300 gr Silver Tips, and 68 grains of 4064 back in the 70s and 80s. Today you can still get the Partitions, the Normas and the Woodleighs and I have read good things about the PPU 300 grain bullets too, but I have never loaded any. >>>>>

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/29117
Posted By: Anschutz Re: First No. 1 - 10/21/20
Originally Posted by szihn
Today you can still get the Partitions, the Normas and the Woodleighs and I have read good things about the PPU 300 grain bullets too, but I have never loaded any. >>>>>

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/29117

That's not priced bad at all. If they shoot, I'll give them a go on game but can't go wrong with a Partition or AccuBond if they don't. I bought 40 rounds of factory federal 300gr Hi-Shok to make brass with. I'm assuming thats the old name for the Power-Shok they load in Federal Blue Box.
Posted By: jkingrph Re: First No. 1 - 10/21/20
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I just bought a Tropical in 35 Rem. A very nice gun and used a varmint 22-250 as a donor for a 300 H&H project which has been completed.

Never knew they made any in 35 Rem, much less a Tropical. I would like one in a little 1a light sporter.
© 24hourcampfire