Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I think the reloading ona falling block to be a much smoother affair.

Damn near effortless, no bobble and...... no looking.

GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by hookeye

That seems like a fair assessment and with the long, slender case of the H&H cartridges, there isn't much to hang up on. I look forward to shooting this rifle. Like I said, it's been on my bucket list for a long while.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I still want a #1 .375. Nearly bought one a couple times. Probably don't need it in middle TN, but I probably don't need my .45-70 either.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Potsy
I still want a #1 .375. Nearly bought one a couple times. Probably don't need it in middle TN, but I probably don't need my .45-70 either.

I didn't need a .45-70 in Georgia for whitetails but I also didn't have to track the one I killed with it. I don't need a .375 here in AK but the added insurance on a 1500lb moose is welcome.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Anschutz

That seems like a fair assessment and with the long, slender case of the H&H cartridges, there isn't much to hang up on. I look forward to shooting this rifle. Like I said, it's been on my bucket list for a long while.

Hunted w a couple #1s. About two decades worth.
Had TC Contenders in rifle too. Tolerate in pistol form only.
Getting cranky in my old age.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
An RSI or A in .35 rem would be cool.
They never made em in that.
Could ream a CHP .357.....but want a non roll marked and theyve gone stupid in price

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congrats on your first #1. My 375 H&H #1 shot EXTREMELY well.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Could ream a CHP .357.....but want a non roll marked and theyve gone stupid in price

That would be fun. Light pistol bullet loads for rabbits or full house for large game. I agree though, not worth getting a CHP. Maybe rebarrel a 450BM?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
And so the addiction starts. And nobody warned him it gets easier with each acquisition??....... 🙄. 😆

Congratulations. Every rifleman should experience owning a No.1 at least once. Own it, shoot it, carry it in the woods. Then take it out of the safe in the evening and admire it. Try not to buy too many more... 🤣

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Alaninga
And so the addiction starts. And nobody warned him it gets easier with each acquisition??....... 🙄. 😆

Congratulations. Every rifleman should experience owning a No.1 at least once. Own it, shoot it, carry it in the woods. Then take it out of the safe in the evening and admire it. Try not to buy too many more... 🤣

I'm a sucker for good wood and rifles you can carry all day. Likely won't be the last.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Alaninga

I'm a sucker for good wood and rifles you can carry all day. Likely won't be the last.

Congrats on the 375. I have one in that caliber and love it. Recently I have picked up a 405 Win and a 35 Whelen. I'm just getting back from Wyoming using a custom #1 in 7MM-08 and took a nice mule deer with it. Unfortunately you wont find nice wood on them any more, the Whelen was marked as A+ wood but that's subjective. It's better than the Lipsey's gun in 250 Savage.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Your 7-08 is gorgeous. I don't need wood like that but don't want plywood either.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Well, she arrived tonight as advertised but the feds have decided I can't have it yet. Hopefully they just need to check something silly like my orders and it'll get done soon.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

That would be fun. Light pistol bullet loads for rabbits or full house for large game. I agree though, not worth getting a CHP. Maybe rebarrel a 450BM?

Not a fan of .22-250 and know where a mid 70s B model is.

Might end up as the donor

Last edited by hookeye; 10/15/20.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just bought a Tropical in 35 Rem. A very nice gun and used a varmint 22-250 as a donor for a 300 H&H project which has been completed.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Well, apparently I missed the call from the shop that said I got a proceed on the rifle. Walked in today to look around and the gal behind the counter said she had something for me. My first No. 1 is now mine. I took it to the public range and put 7 rounds through it. Recoil is surprisingly mild. I'd rather shoot this round for round over my Guide Gun with my handloads or hotter. It's barely shooting light so didnt get any groups, just shot in a safe direction. I'm hooked. Pictures to follow once I get my bench built.

Last edited by Anschutz; 10/19/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned several over the years, in several calibers. Now I have only one, but I just love it.

Many today make a lot of adoring mention of other single shot guns from Hagans and Dakotas and several others. I like most good SS rifles, but if I totally ignore the bait of "having one you don't" and admit to the pure truth, I like the Ruger at least as well and often even better then most of the others.

Some owners have leveled criticism about #1 accuracy over the years, and much of it is based in truth, but in my experience about 99% of the accuracy issues were related to so-so quality on the barrels Ruger used at times in the past. My current #1 is a 9.3X74R and it's exceptionally accurate. I owned a few others in the past that were consistent sub-MOA shooters too but a few that were 2-34/ to 3.5 MOA shooters. I have rebarreled a few "problem children": when customers asked, and the bad ones shot great once I put a new barrel in them. Overall, I love the #1 actions think highly of them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congratulations on a fine rifle. I sometimes shoot with a round or two between my fingers on the fore grip like some African PH's do when shooting double rifles. One thing about a single shot is I think I aim a little more carefully then when I know I have back up shots available. I think the NECG sight upgrade would be a big improvement. For non dangerous game I like the 250 & 260 grain bullets as they shoot flatter and kick less than heavier bullets.
The 235 Speer is good for deer but it seems like they are low on the production run priorities so I stock up on them when available.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anschutz, you might try 68 grain of IMR 4064 with a good 270 grain bullet. In my old #1 (which I stupidly sold) and also my Mauser (on it's 2nd barrel) , this load shoots extremely well. It kills in line with all the praise I'v ever read about the grand old 375.
The older Hornady Spire Points broke up quite a lot, but their RN did better. Even the spire points did drop elk very well however. With WW Power Points the gun was a death ray on elk and bear.

Used with the new Nosler Partition or Accubond in 260 grain weight you can go up a smidge in the powder charge, but they leave nothing o be desired for killing anything I ever used them on or even saw them used on. Loads around that weight with 4064 seem to shoot well in about any 375 so it's a good starting place for your load work-ups with 260-275 grain bullets.
I also use 4064 for 300 grain bullets, but those I use are all not made anymore except the Partition. Depending on the individual 300 grain bullet bullet I used charges from 66.8 to 68.3 in my Mauser. In my old #1 I used the Hornady RN 300 grain and also the Winchester 300 gr Silver Tips, and 68 grains of 4064 back in the 70s and 80s. Today you can still get the Partitions, the Normas and the Woodleighs and I have read good things about the PPU 300 grain bullets too, but I have never loaded any. >>>>>

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/29117

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by szihn
Today you can still get the Partitions, the Normas and the Woodleighs and I have read good things about the PPU 300 grain bullets too, but I have never loaded any. >>>>>

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/29117

That's not priced bad at all. If they shoot, I'll give them a go on game but can't go wrong with a Partition or AccuBond if they don't. I bought 40 rounds of factory federal 300gr Hi-Shok to make brass with. I'm assuming thats the old name for the Power-Shok they load in Federal Blue Box.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.