Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15287511 10/05/20
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The Ruger No. 1 has been on my bucket list for the last 15 years. Every time I've seen one, I didn't have the money and every time I had the money, I couldn't find one. Finally decided it was time to go to GB to find what I was looking for. The first time I ever saw one was one of Craig Boddington's reviews on the Outdoor Channel and it was always in something big for Africa. I finally found one that was decently priced after weeks of scouring and made a bid. To my surprise, and after several failed attempts, my bid was the winner on a No 1 Tropical in .375 H&H. It's more than I need here in AK but I will not be overgunned for Moose either. I plan to keep it sighted with irons as I can still see them well enough. I'm excited and hopefully it will be a shooter.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
👍👍

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Congratulations on the #1. I have a 375 Liberty model that is consistently sub moa with 270gr Horny, 76gr IMR 4350, RP case, Fed 215 mag.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
order a set of Alaska arms or Warne QR rings for it. That way you can stretch it out with a scope if you want and twist a lever and use the irons. Mine loves everything ive shot in it. My main load is 235 speers over 69gr of rl15.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Very cool. My first #1 was a .375 H&H back in about .. '87 I think.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A

Originally Posted by Phoneman
order a set of Alaska arms or Warne QR rings for it. That way you can stretch it out with a scope if you want and twist a lever and use the irons. Mine loves everything ive shot in it. My main load is 235 speers over 69gr of rl15.

I may eventually put a scope on it but I'm going to try it with straight irons first.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Anschutz

I may eventually put a scope on it but I'm going to try it with straight irons first.

At one time there were peep sights that'd attach via the Ruger ring slots. If you can find one that might be a worthy upgrade over the factory rear sight .. which I never was very fond of.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by T_O_M

At one time there were peep sights that'd attach via the Ruger ring slots. If you can find one that might be a worthy upgrade over the factory rear sight .. which I never was very fond of.

Skinner makes a peep for the No. 1 that attaches via the two screws in the rear of the rib. I have a set on my Guide Gun and like them. That would be step one if the factory sights leave me wanting more which is likely given my experience with Ruger sights.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
congrats on your first # 1 now buy a boot stock shell holder for this fine rifle

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by pete53
congrats on your first # 1 now buy a boot stock shell holder for this fine rifle

A nice leather shell holder will be on the list. Much better than the good old pocket full of shells. This isn't my first rodeo with a single shot as my first rifle was a NEF Handi-Rifle. I was able to get that .243 back in action pretty quick but it required a lot of practice that has definitely degraded by now.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I put a set of express sights off the Boddington series on my 375. I called ruger and told them I needed a set for my rifle and they were like $30. Not adjustable but way better than the factory ones to me. NECG makes nice front sights for them and a screw on peep that goes in the ruger ring slots. Im real tempted to put one of those on my 45/70

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One of our good members here bought a #1 Tropical from Mule deer in .375 and uses it a bunch...to good effect!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

A nice leather shell holder will be on the list. Much better than the good old pocket full of shells. This isn't my first rodeo with a single shot as my first rifle was a NEF Handi-Rifle. I was able to get that .243 back in action pretty quick but it required a lot of practice that has definitely degraded by now.

Falling block is way better than break open IMHO.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hookeye

Falling block is way better than break open IMHO.

agreed its a whole different world

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's my latest No. 1, a custom-stocked 1B picked up at Capital Sports a couple weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Shot it for the first time today, and it shoots just as good as it looks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Here's my latest No. 1, a custom-stocked 1B picked up at Capital Sports a couple weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Nice.

What round?

DF

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Pete & Hookeye, I agree it's a different world but the process of reloading seems quite similar. Open and eject, retrieve new round, send home, close action and ready.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

[Linked Image]

Nice.

What round?

DF

She's pretty. What caliber? Hopefully something light with that metal buttplate.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pete & Hookeye, I agree it's a different world but the process of reloading seems quite similar. Open and eject, retrieve new round, send home, close action and ready.

with respect, maybe to you it is but the action on a Ruger #1 is safer and a lot stronger for handloads . matter a fact one ammunition company uses Ruger # 1 actions for testing ammo pressure every day and has for many years" over 25 years " . shoot your new to you Ruger # 1 for a while and get back to us, i bet you will agree how much better your Ruger #1 is a very fine rifle and so much safer to use. have a great fall and enjoy your Ruger #1. Pete53

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A

with respect, maybe to you it is but the action on a Ruger #1 is safer and a lot stronger for handloads . matter a fact one ammunition company uses Ruger # 1 actions for testing ammo pressure every day and has for many years" over 25 years " . shoot your new to you Ruger # 1 for a while and get back to us, i bet you will agree how much better your Ruger #1 is a very fine rifle and so much safer to use. have a great fall and enjoy your Ruger #1. Pete53

Pete, I'm not arguing the strength of the action. The Ruger is much stronger than any break action I'm aware of and looks better than any break action that isn't made by Blaser or Merkel (It also isn't costing me $3-5k). I am simply stating that when you have an animal come out and you shoot it, the process of getting a second shot ready is similar. Maybe it's not but I'll see that when I get the rifle in hand and get a chance to shoot it. Maybe we weren't talking the same reloading.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 18 invisible), 1,327 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.