Home
Posted By: bersh S&W Dumping Thompson Center - 05/03/21
There was a report on one of the Fakebook TC pages that Smith & Wesson announced today that they were dumping Thompson Center. Not sure who will pick them up but given the way things have gone since S&W bought them in 2007 this could be a good thing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/smith-wesson-brands-inc-announces-203000270.html
Hoping it’s Ruger or CZ. Wondered what was up. Haven’t seen a new Contender or Encore frame in a shop in 2-3 years.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: S&W Dumping Thompson Center - 05/03/21
Bringing back the sidekick muzzleloaders would bring a smile to my face.
But I'm not holding my breath.
When Bill was in charge Ruger was very selective about buying out anyone. He had the opportunity to buy both S&W and Colt at various times. Today, who knows. I would be surprised to see Ruger take the TC name.

It maybe my lower retirement income, but; seems in the old days - I could walk into a gun shop and buy a contender barrel on a whim with cash in my wallet. Today a barrel cost more than a complete rifle and very limited selection. Never anything in stock anywhere. S&W made a big deal 500 mag and they dont even offer a encore PISTOL barrel in 500! I could drop 4 or 5 hundred in the after market with enormous up charges for luxury options like sights! I think the Contender/Encore days are over. I dont care about in lines.
Tupperware rifles have undercut the switch-barrel market IMO. A complete bolt action rifle can be had for the same price or less than a let’s face it, often mediocre accesssory barrel. Hell, I bought a Howa Mini with two stocks for $360 and a barreled action for $250. Custom TC barrels start around $400, and as I found out, ain’t always plug ‘n play.
Originally Posted by fourbore
When Bill was in charge Ruger was very selective about buying out anyone. He had the opportunity to buy both S&W and Colt at various times. Today, who knows. I would be surprised to see Ruger take the TC name.

It maybe my lower retirement income, but; seems in the old days - I could walk into a gun shop and buy a contender barrel on a whim with cash in my wallet. Today a barrel cost more than a complete rifle and very limited selection. Never anything in stock anywhere. S&W made a big deal 500 mag and they dont even offer a encore PISTOL barrel in 500! I could drop 4 or 5 hundred in the after market with enormous up charges for luxury options like sights! I think the Contender/Encore days are over. I dont care about in lines.

I picked up a NIB CVA Scout pistol (.243) the other day for $329. They are now discontinued, but got good reviews, and while not TC quality, they’re not a bad piece.

You’re right. A Contender/Encore BARREL will set you back $350 plus these days. Wasn’t that long ago they were a sub $200 proposition.

The black powder rifle market peaked some where between 2008 and 2010 with a steady decline since which had been the primary market for T/C.
Very sad, of course I wasn’t happy with what smith did with T/C either. Unfortunately I don’t see T/C coming back to its original glory, I hope I’m wrong about this. I love all things contender and encore.
Originally Posted by Tom_in_VT
Very sad, of course I wasn’t happy with what smith did with T/C either. Unfortunately I don’t see T/C coming back to its original glory, I hope I’m wrong about this. I love all things contender and encore.

Same here, been a TC user since early 90's
Maybe the new owners will return it back to the prior quality it once was.
Sw also managed to screw them up while manufacturing. Two frames locally, mine one of them, were so out of whack they replaced the entire thing. Would not take a barrel, period.
I wanted a contender so bad when i was a kid it wasnt funny. Id dream looking at those little TC catalogs. Nothing like a Contender and the old sidelocks. But these disposable rifles that they make these days that take no load developments is hard to beat for the instant gratification crowd these days. No one appreciates killing something with a fine rifle or with a load you worked up. Too many just worry about that tailgate pic to show their buddies. I like a kill pic, but i like it to have some pretty wood in with it
Zero this weekend.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Originally Posted by hookeye
Zero this weekend.

Nice.....very nice.....
I hope Contenders and Encores don't disappear, and land in a nice spot. Made by a company that cares. It's easy to predict gloom and doom, but better to be hopeful.

[Linked Image from 303british.com]
Some place like MGM would be good
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
Originally Posted by hookeye
Zero this weekend.

Nice.....very nice.....

Thanks I guess. Hate the safety. Is .22 whorenet.
Got 6 boxes of Hornady ammo and said WTF, go out and shoot something w it.

Inherited the rifle.
Hookeye, I've owned TCR 83's before and am looking for another right now. Have you looked for additional barrels or know of anyone making barrels?
This would never happen, but being a Nebraska local, I'd like to see Hornady buy the TC name/rights. Stop making the muzzleloaders and bolt guns and just make the single shots. Being an ammo manufacture, they could also make ammo for all the unique and wildcat cartridges that folks play with in these single shots. Kind of a niche market, so probably not huge profit margins to be had there.
The TC guy was not at the local gun show last weekend.
He usually has a TCR bbl or two

I have an extra bbl for this one in 223.
Am not going to mess around loading for either
Have Hornady V max stuff in Hornet and Fiocchi vmax for the 223. Whichever one shoots best is what gets kept.

For the summer.

Kill some chucks and if it endears itself fine, if not away it goes.
My kid cannot work the action open.
She has a joint issue and its too much movement and pressure for her

Her mom shattered a wrist and has plate and pins and cant do it either.

So the two that sometimes shoot, cant run it LOL.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

That's a very interesting idea. (I like my two MGM barrels.)

I have no idea if they are big enough to swing it.
Well.....the TCR.22 hornet I inherited was filthy and after much cleaning....has a pitted bore .

The .223 barrel is fine.

The TCR bbls are pinned......looks like it could be a cool rebore project.
I would try the bore coat product first
FWIW

The .223 bbl has a welded forearm lug and no pins in monoblock.

The .22 Hornet bbl has a screwed on forearm lug and 2 pins in the monoblock.

Interesting.

Two (well actually three) other projects ahead of anything the TCR might be.
I have been fighting two all day and have to test tomorrow after turkey hunting.

Off to bed.

Hornet muzzle D is .625 so could go to JES for .35 rem .........................Chop 2 inches off the front too (so larger than .625).
I keep getting ideas to post and changing my mind. I wonder if it would have been better for TC or later S&W to drop the Contender line and go all in with the Encore.I already have a Contender. It is all set with a few barrels and forarms. Pistol only. I think a new buyer would be better of with an Encore. It should have the same selectable rf/cf firing pins setup. I dont care for the rf option in either. But some do. You could buy a very comfy Pachmyer grip set for the Contender. I am pretty sure, there is no such option for the hard hitting Encore pistols. I looked and decided to pass on the Encore for lack of grips. Did I miss something? That and no 500S&W pistol barrel? Probably best to load that down a little. Do they do a 45/70 Encore pistol? I dont think so; that is Contender only!
I believe Match Grade Machine will make you a pistol barrel in about any caliber you wish.

Correction: You can get a 50 Alaskan or a 50 Linebaugh but no S&W 500.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

That's a very interesting idea. (I like my two MGM barrels.)

I have no idea if they are big enough to swing it.

I wondered that too. Not long ago, they started Preferred Barrel Blanks, so money is tight. That, and the asking price is probably more than they can afford.
Posted By: EdM Re: S&W Dumping Thompson Center - 05/09/21
I would be very surprised that someone picks them up given what sells these days.
I am no Encore fan.
Prefer the orig Contender in looks and feel
Pachmayrs on a G2 feel different but make it usable ( Grippers on an orig feel best IMHO ).

The Encore is just funky feeling and bulky, and I hate rifle stocks on them ( orig synth, walnut or Boyds )

Think Encore pistols are better than Encore rifles.
Have a stainkess pro hubter MZ wesring walnut and I absolutely hate it ( hate being understated ).

Inherited, put up for sale at LGS on consign.
With pistol bbls stupid high and hard to find, I didnt evrb consider swapping it

Have a G2 and w 22 mag, 223 and 35 rem bbls it does all I need.
Never bought into the idea of a kit. Prefer a frame to a bbl ( had 3 contenders at one time)
Dont even like swapping bbls on shotguns. Just get another shotgun.

Think the fad of the kit is over, killed by bbl prices and the popularity of entry level bolt guns.....TC is done.

S&W hung onto them too long.
Only TC id be interested in...

A stainkess Renegade .50 w a black synth stock, but w the Black Mountain Magnum breech where it could run pellets.
Proly run granulated but at least have option.
© 24hourcampfire