Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bersh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There was a report on one of the Fakebook TC pages that Smith & Wesson announced today that they were dumping Thompson Center. Not sure who will pick them up but given the way things have gone since S&W bought them in 2007 this could be a good thing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/smith-wesson-brands-inc-announces-203000270.html

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Hoping it’s Ruger or CZ. Wondered what was up. Haven’t seen a new Contender or Encore frame in a shop in 2-3 years.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bringing back the sidekick muzzleloaders would bring a smile to my face.
But I'm not holding my breath.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
When Bill was in charge Ruger was very selective about buying out anyone. He had the opportunity to buy both S&W and Colt at various times. Today, who knows. I would be surprised to see Ruger take the TC name.

It maybe my lower retirement income, but; seems in the old days - I could walk into a gun shop and buy a contender barrel on a whim with cash in my wallet. Today a barrel cost more than a complete rifle and very limited selection. Never anything in stock anywhere. S&W made a big deal 500 mag and they dont even offer a encore PISTOL barrel in 500! I could drop 4 or 5 hundred in the after market with enormous up charges for luxury options like sights! I think the Contender/Encore days are over. I dont care about in lines.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tupperware rifles have undercut the switch-barrel market IMO. A complete bolt action rifle can be had for the same price or less than a let’s face it, often mediocre accesssory barrel. Hell, I bought a Howa Mini with two stocks for $360 and a barreled action for $250. Custom TC barrels start around $400, and as I found out, ain’t always plug ‘n play.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by fourbore
When Bill was in charge Ruger was very selective about buying out anyone. He had the opportunity to buy both S&W and Colt at various times. Today, who knows. I would be surprised to see Ruger take the TC name.

It maybe my lower retirement income, but; seems in the old days - I could walk into a gun shop and buy a contender barrel on a whim with cash in my wallet. Today a barrel cost more than a complete rifle and very limited selection. Never anything in stock anywhere. S&W made a big deal 500 mag and they dont even offer a encore PISTOL barrel in 500! I could drop 4 or 5 hundred in the after market with enormous up charges for luxury options like sights! I think the Contender/Encore days are over. I dont care about in lines.

I picked up a NIB CVA Scout pistol (.243) the other day for $329. They are now discontinued, but got good reviews, and while not TC quality, they’re not a bad piece.

You’re right. A Contender/Encore BARREL will set you back $350 plus these days. Wasn’t that long ago they were a sub $200 proposition.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The black powder rifle market peaked some where between 2008 and 2010 with a steady decline since which had been the primary market for T/C.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very sad, of course I wasn’t happy with what smith did with T/C either. Unfortunately I don’t see T/C coming back to its original glory, I hope I’m wrong about this. I love all things contender and encore.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Tom_in_VT
Very sad, of course I wasn’t happy with what smith did with T/C either. Unfortunately I don’t see T/C coming back to its original glory, I hope I’m wrong about this. I love all things contender and encore.

Same here, been a TC user since early 90's
Maybe the new owners will return it back to the prior quality it once was.

Last edited by justonemorear; 05/06/21.

parelle nullus (Obey None)
Don't be sheep
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sw also managed to screw them up while manufacturing. Two frames locally, mine one of them, were so out of whack they replaced the entire thing. Would not take a barrel, period.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I wanted a contender so bad when i was a kid it wasnt funny. Id dream looking at those little TC catalogs. Nothing like a Contender and the old sidelocks. But these disposable rifles that they make these days that take no load developments is hard to beat for the instant gratification crowd these days. No one appreciates killing something with a fine rifle or with a load you worked up. Too many just worry about that tailgate pic to show their buddies. I like a kill pic, but i like it to have some pretty wood in with it

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Zero this weekend.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by hookeye
Zero this weekend.

Nice.....very nice.....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I hope Contenders and Encores don't disappear, and land in a nice spot. Made by a company that cares. It's easy to predict gloom and doom, but better to be hopeful.

[Linked Image from 303british.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Some place like MGM would be good

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
Originally Posted by hookeye
Zero this weekend.

Nice.....very nice.....

Thanks I guess. Hate the safety. Is .22 whorenet.
Got 6 boxes of Hornady ammo and said WTF, go out and shoot something w it.

Inherited the rifle.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hookeye, I've owned TCR 83's before and am looking for another right now. Have you looked for additional barrels or know of anyone making barrels?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
This would never happen, but being a Nebraska local, I'd like to see Hornady buy the TC name/rights. Stop making the muzzleloaders and bolt guns and just make the single shots. Being an ammo manufacture, they could also make ammo for all the unique and wildcat cartridges that folks play with in these single shots. Kind of a niche market, so probably not huge profit margins to be had there.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The TC guy was not at the local gun show last weekend.
He usually has a TCR bbl or two

I have an extra bbl for this one in 223.
Am not going to mess around loading for either
Have Hornady V max stuff in Hornet and Fiocchi vmax for the 223. Whichever one shoots best is what gets kept.

For the summer.

Kill some chucks and if it endears itself fine, if not away it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,825
Posts18,477,900
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.