Home
I was able to find quite a few posts on the B-78 within this forum. Great info on the trigger, takedown, hammer and scope clearance … most owners appreciated the accuracy and quality which outweighed the cons on trigger etc as previously mentioned.

Have an opportunity for a round barrel in 22-250, bluing is near perfect and stock is in excellent shape and quite stunning - just a beautiful rifle barely used at all. I’m familiar enough with No 1’s to know what is and is not a good price, no experience with the B-78.

Asking price is $1050 - would appreciate any thoughts on whether this is about right, too high, great deal … just don’t want to pass on this rifle as it’s beautiful but curious to get some feedback from y’all.

Thanks in advance for your time..
I like the B-78 and would think the price, although a little high, is not entirely out of line. If you really like it, go for it.
I think that as you described it, it’s an excellent buy. All the 1885s as produced by Miroku and sold as Brownings or Winchesters are fine rifles. The earlier ones generally had nicer wood, sometimes very nice, but all are worth owning. I have two Low Walls, and they’re possibly my very favorites (there’s some shifting about that goes on!). Only reservation would be if it had a lot of rounds through it, which might not be readily apparent.

I don’t think you’d regret buying it, and also don’t think you’d lose any money if you ever sell it.

1050 is a good price in today's market.
Appreciate your comments on this folks, very helpful.
My Dad bought a octagon barrel Model 78 30-06 back in the early 80's that he hunted with for many years, and when he got to where he couldn't go hunting anymore he passed on to my nephew. I have 2 Model 78's of my own, a 30-06 and a 7mm Remington Magnum, both with octagon barrels, and I really like both of them. Good shooters and elegantly made.

$1050 isn't not a bad price at today's inflated values.
Strikes me as a pretty decent price too. My only concern would be as with any used high velocity .22 centerfire: throat condition.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Strikes me as a pretty decent price too. My only concern would be as with any used high velocity .22 centerfire: throat condition.

Could always set the barrel back to clean up a damaged throat. With a 28" barrel there is plenty to work with
Indeed, but then the fore arm fit is compromised.
The one I have is a .25-06 and in the ten or so years I have had it there have been no problems whatsoever.

I don't know anything about this site but they post sales of firearms. The price you mentioned is a great price for a B78 in today's market.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/b-78/price-historical-value/used/1
Originally Posted by stantdm
The one I have is a .25-06 and in the ten or so years I have had it there have been no problems whatsoever.

I don't know anything about this site but they post sales of firearms. The price you mentioned is a great price for a B78 in today's market.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/b-78/price-historical-value/used/1

I’ve used this same site over the last several months, and seems to track well to current market pricing. The $1050 is a little on the high side from Blue Book of Gun Values and from GunValues by Guns Digest, but in this market it seems reasonably priced.

And I certainly appreciate the comments about a high velocity .22 center fire and what comes from that …

Sure thank each of you for sharing your thoughts - thanks much.
Well, I only have one Browning B78 and mine is chambered to the 30-06 and has the round barrel. It usually shoots right at MOA or less and has done so with every load I've run through it. $1050 probably isn't all that bad a price considering today's market. If I saw a rifle I liked, and the price wasn't all that unreasonable, I'd just pay the price and be happy. I've done that several times in the past and have yet to regret the buy. If you want it, just buy it. Just call me the enabler.
Paul B.
I have. 78 in 25-06 and I love it. It has a little honest wear but is beautiful and is a good shooter. I think someone did tolerable good trigger work on it at some point b/c I have no issue at all with it. As for your 22-250, I’m sure it’s pretty. The price is in the ball park. It would make me grin at 950 or 975. As noted above, check for throat erosion. If you want to set the barrel back it’ll be a free float without the work.
1050 is a good price for that rifle.
A whole lot of enabling going on around here … waiting on some high res photos to see what I can determine on the barrel (which ain’t sayin much) - seller is being very “general” in replies to my questions. If it wasn’t a 22-250 I wouldn’t think too hard or too long to take the next step and make the deal. I got bit on a Swift several years ago and haven’t recovered …

Appreciate all the feedback from everybody.
Be aware that there are two round barrel versions...the Sporter and Varmint weight. Make sure bases and rings come with it as they are difficult to find and not inexpensive when sourced seperately.

I've had several over the years. Here's the one I have now. -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Be aware that there are two round barrel versions...the Sporter and Varmint weight. Make sure bases and rings come with it as they are difficult to find and not inexpensive when sourced seperately.

Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing the photo. I assume the Varmint is the 26” barrel and Sporter is the 24”?
Originally Posted by B52RadarNav
Beautiful rifle, thanks for sharing the photo. I assume the Varmint is the 26” barrel and Sporter is the 24”?

It's actually a bit of a beater....just what I wanted for a shooter. Yes on the barrel length. -Al
Price sounds right especially if it is in as nice a conditions as you say.
The B-78 is a fine rifle. I have a .300 H&H done for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Lee Shaver in Missouri does a good trigger modification at a great price.
Originally Posted by sambubba
The B-78 is a fine rifle. I have a .300 H&H done for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Lee Shaver in Missouri does a good trigger modification at a great price.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Browning B-78, 300 H&H

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

If you want it, $1,050 is not a bad price.

IIRC the B-78's have a 26" barrel.

ya!

GWB
I don't think $1050 is a bad price for a good condition B-78. I have one in 270 that I had rebarreled to 280 AI but it was good shooter before the change. With the change also came a trigger job that made it better still. Mine has a glossy stock that I don't care for, so after the rebarrel, I toned it down with some 000 steel wool.
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Again, really appreciate the photos shared by everyone and thoughts on the price. Barrel throat is solid, but I’m following up on your point Al on bases and rings … rifle comes with the bases but no rings - would that be a deal breaker for you or anyone else that’s been commenting on this thread? To your point they are tough to find.

Thanks in advance for your help.
If the original rings are not included, you can get by with a low and medium of Leupold/Redfield style as the original in the first generation B78s were of different heights (not sure about the re-release of a few years ago). It will require two sets of rings to make the pairing (could use a medium and high as well.

If the price is decent and you want it I wouldn't let that stop me. They are generally good to better shooters as others have said. I have had several over the years and still have an octagon barrel .30-06.
Just get a high front and medium rear ring and you’ll be fine. With the hi-medium combo you have room to get your thumb on the hammer. With the medium-low combination I find it too tight a fit. PITA when hunting. The rings are not a deal breaker imo.
I prefer the B78 / 1885 over the Ruger anyday…..
In general, I agree, but the earlier Rugers were pretty nice, a cut above the later ones. Somewhere I have slides I took of one my brother bought, numbered in the 5xxx range, and it’s a beauty in every way. He sold it to me, but I foolishly passed it on to someone else not long after.

Oh well…..
I got a 1994 Browning B-78 25-06 for $799 + $76 tax on 8/11/2016

Nice gun.
Could someone explain the difference between the Browning B-78 and the Winchester 1885? Are they the same rifle both made by Miroku just one for Winchester and one for Browning and where does the hi and low wall come into that?

Do people prefer the Miroku guns because of the quality over later Ruger #1's or is it more to it than fit and finish?
I don’t have a lot of experience with the B-78. I bought one a year ago in 6mm Remington and immediately shipped it to JES to be rebored to .35 Whelen. So far, I’ve really enjoyed the rifle and have zero complaints. I have several Ruger No. 1s and find the Browning to be comparable (of course my Rugers are all older models). If you like the rifle, the cost seems fair to me.
I never liked the scope mount options for those.
I like them, I have a heavy barrel 6mm Remington. I bought it back around 1984 to shoot prairie dogs. I've shot more big game with it than prairie dogs, LOL
Like said before the scope mounting is weird. I've read where the triggers are poor but I dont see anything wrong with it. The hammer can be hard to cock with the scope mounted.
My take: The B-78's are the same as later Browning/Miroku High Wall offerings, with the only difference being the later ones have better triggers. B-78 factory triggers were kind of mushy, but certainly a guy could get used to them. I did.

Browning = Winchester 1885 = Miroku. (Don't confuse the current models with vintage Winchester 1885's. They look the same externally, and the basic design is the same except for mainsprings, but there's no parts interchangeability.)

Miroku versus Ruger #1? I like them both, but I kind of lean towards the Miroku as they have a certain smooth bank vault feel to them. Every Miroku high wall and low wall I've ever owned was/is stunningly accurate which is not something I can say about every single Ruger I've owned.

Edit to add: as far as accessibility to the chamber for quick reloading goes, it's a single shot and not intended for rapid fire. Make the first and only shot count. If quick second/third shots are of a high importance to you, I kindly submit that maybe a single shot rifle isn't the ideal tool for you.
Gnoahhh said, "Edit to add: as far as accessibility to the chamber for quick reloading goes, it's a single shot and not intended for rapid fire. Make the first and only shot count. If quick second/third shots are of a high importance to you, I kindly submit that maybe a single shot rifle isn't the ideal tool for you."

I'm inclined to disagree with you one that. I agree that with a scope on the rifle the hammer is a bit difficult to cock, but has no relation toe a rapid reload. On my B 78 when I eject the fired cartridge case, the hammer stays cocker . When I close the action it stays cocked. I've hunted with both the Ruger #1 and B78 rifles and with practice both can be reloaded and shot Just about as fast as the average bolt action shooter. That is for properly aimed shots. Granted, one wants the first shot to do the job but sometimes stuff happens and you have no choice but to shoot again as quickly as possible. I do a rapid reload whether or not I need one but it's there just in case. I can only think of a few times when a second shot was needed and most of those were just finishers.
Paul B.
I hear you, and it's sound reasoning.
I like both the number 1’s and the B-78.

I like the classic style of the number one, but they tend to shoot noticably below my expectations. This is based on several rifles in the sample.

The B-78’s have been extreamly accurate “EVERY TIME”. I have never shot one that didnt group MOA or better.
The super smooth action and srylish lines make it my favorite single shot rifle design!

After six or seven number ones not reaching my expectations on the target (MOA), I can no longer justify spending money on this design. And that its disappointing to say the least.

I have 2 1885 Highwalls and they are excellent
I don't have the Browning version but do have the Winchester Miroku Traditional Hunter from the limited run of 50 in 38-55 Winchester . It's a great rifle unless you do a lot of walking or hunt out of a tight blind. Shoots like a house on fire and never had the first minutes trouble out of it . I'd guess the price you mentioned would be a very good one if the barrel ain't hurt.
Originally Posted by jwp475

1050 is a good price in today's market.

Yerp
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
I don't have the Browning version but do have the Winchester Miroku Traditional Hunter from the limited run of 50 in 38-55 Winchester . It's a great rifle unless you do a lot of walking or hunt out of a tight blind. Shoots like a house on fire and never had the first minutes trouble out of it . I'd guess the price you mentioned would be a very good one if the barrel ain't hurt.

I think about the weight every time I get a hankering for one of the High Walls. I’m trying to lighten Grandpa’s load wherever possible. My Low Wall .44 is pretty handy with its half-octagon barrel, and a stiff load should work fine for anything I’ll ever run into here. Wish it was D&Td for mounts, but the irons work well; the open sight zeroed for 1000fps plinkers and the tang sight for hot ones.

Very nice rifles, whichever brand they wear.
© 24hourcampfire