Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by sambubba
The B-78 is a fine rifle. I have a .300 H&H done for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Lee Shaver in Missouri does a good trigger modification at a great price.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Browning B-78, 300 H&H

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

If you want it, $1,050 is not a bad price.

IIRC the B-78's have a 26" barrel.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I don't think $1050 is a bad price for a good condition B-78. I have one in 270 that I had rebarreled to 280 AI but it was good shooter before the change. With the change also came a trigger job that made it better still. Mine has a glossy stock that I don't care for, so after the rebarrel, I toned it down with some 000 steel wool.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Be aware that there are two round barrel versions...the Sporter and Varmint weight. Make sure bases and rings come with it as they are difficult to find and not inexpensive when sourced seperately.

I've had several over the years. Here's the one I have now. -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Again, really appreciate the photos shared by everyone and thoughts on the price. Barrel throat is solid, but I’m following up on your point Al on bases and rings … rifle comes with the bases but no rings - would that be a deal breaker for you or anyone else that’s been commenting on this thread? To your point they are tough to find.

Thanks in advance for your help.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If the original rings are not included, you can get by with a low and medium of Leupold/Redfield style as the original in the first generation B78s were of different heights (not sure about the re-release of a few years ago). It will require two sets of rings to make the pairing (could use a medium and high as well.

If the price is decent and you want it I wouldn't let that stop me. They are generally good to better shooters as others have said. I have had several over the years and still have an octagon barrel .30-06.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just get a high front and medium rear ring and you’ll be fine. With the hi-medium combo you have room to get your thumb on the hammer. With the medium-low combination I find it too tight a fit. PITA when hunting. The rings are not a deal breaker imo.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the B78 / 1885 over the Ruger anyday…..

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In general, I agree, but the earlier Rugers were pretty nice, a cut above the later ones. Somewhere I have slides I took of one my brother bought, numbered in the 5xxx range, and it’s a beauty in every way. He sold it to me, but I foolishly passed it on to someone else not long after.

Oh well…..

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a 1994 Browning B-78 25-06 for $799 + $76 tax on 8/11/2016

Nice gun.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Could someone explain the difference between the Browning B-78 and the Winchester 1885? Are they the same rifle both made by Miroku just one for Winchester and one for Browning and where does the hi and low wall come into that?

Do people prefer the Miroku guns because of the quality over later Ruger #1's or is it more to it than fit and finish?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I don’t have a lot of experience with the B-78. I bought one a year ago in 6mm Remington and immediately shipped it to JES to be rebored to .35 Whelen. So far, I’ve really enjoyed the rifle and have zero complaints. I have several Ruger No. 1s and find the Browning to be comparable (of course my Rugers are all older models). If you like the rifle, the cost seems fair to me.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I never liked the scope mount options for those.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I like them, I have a heavy barrel 6mm Remington. I bought it back around 1984 to shoot prairie dogs. I've shot more big game with it than prairie dogs, LOL
Like said before the scope mounting is weird. I've read where the triggers are poor but I dont see anything wrong with it. The hammer can be hard to cock with the scope mounted.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My take: The B-78's are the same as later Browning/Miroku High Wall offerings, with the only difference being the later ones have better triggers. B-78 factory triggers were kind of mushy, but certainly a guy could get used to them. I did.

Browning = Winchester 1885 = Miroku. (Don't confuse the current models with vintage Winchester 1885's. They look the same externally, and the basic design is the same except for mainsprings, but there's no parts interchangeability.)

Miroku versus Ruger #1? I like them both, but I kind of lean towards the Miroku as they have a certain smooth bank vault feel to them. Every Miroku high wall and low wall I've ever owned was/is stunningly accurate which is not something I can say about every single Ruger I've owned.

Edit to add: as far as accessibility to the chamber for quick reloading goes, it's a single shot and not intended for rapid fire. Make the first and only shot count. If quick second/third shots are of a high importance to you, I kindly submit that maybe a single shot rifle isn't the ideal tool for you.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/26/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gnoahhh said, "Edit to add: as far as accessibility to the chamber for quick reloading goes, it's a single shot and not intended for rapid fire. Make the first and only shot count. If quick second/third shots are of a high importance to you, I kindly submit that maybe a single shot rifle isn't the ideal tool for you."

I'm inclined to disagree with you one that. I agree that with a scope on the rifle the hammer is a bit difficult to cock, but has no relation toe a rapid reload. On my B 78 when I eject the fired cartridge case, the hammer stays cocker . When I close the action it stays cocked. I've hunted with both the Ruger #1 and B78 rifles and with practice both can be reloaded and shot Just about as fast as the average bolt action shooter. That is for properly aimed shots. Granted, one wants the first shot to do the job but sometimes stuff happens and you have no choice but to shoot again as quickly as possible. I do a rapid reload whether or not I need one but it's there just in case. I can only think of a few times when a second shot was needed and most of those were just finishers.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I hear you, and it's sound reasoning.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I like both the number 1’s and the B-78.

I like the classic style of the number one, but they tend to shoot noticably below my expectations. This is based on several rifles in the sample.

The B-78’s have been extreamly accurate “EVERY TIME”. I have never shot one that didnt group MOA or better.
The super smooth action and srylish lines make it my favorite single shot rifle design!

After six or seven number ones not reaching my expectations on the target (MOA), I can no longer justify spending money on this design. And that its disappointing to say the least.

Last edited by DTHUNTER; 04/27/22. Reason: Poor sentence structure.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have 2 1885 Highwalls and they are excellent

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I don't have the Browning version but do have the Winchester Miroku Traditional Hunter from the limited run of 50 in 38-55 Winchester . It's a great rifle unless you do a lot of walking or hunt out of a tight blind. Shoots like a house on fire and never had the first minutes trouble out of it . I'd guess the price you mentioned would be a very good one if the barrel ain't hurt.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

1050 is a good price in today's market.

Yerp

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
I don't have the Browning version but do have the Winchester Miroku Traditional Hunter from the limited run of 50 in 38-55 Winchester . It's a great rifle unless you do a lot of walking or hunt out of a tight blind. Shoots like a house on fire and never had the first minutes trouble out of it . I'd guess the price you mentioned would be a very good one if the barrel ain't hurt.

I think about the weight every time I get a hankering for one of the High Walls. I’m trying to lighten Grandpa’s load wherever possible. My Low Wall .44 is pretty handy with its half-octagon barrel, and a stiff load should work fine for anything I’ll ever run into here. Wish it was D&Td for mounts, but the irons work well; the open sight zeroed for 1000fps plinkers and the tang sight for hot ones.

Very nice rifles, whichever brand they wear.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (01Foreman400, 16penny, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,779
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.