Home
Posted By: ccd Wish for American gunmakers. - 12/22/21
I know sales reps and engineers for some of the gun companies at least visit this website. With the current infatuation with ultra lightweight rifles in the US market, I would love an American made jaeger block single shot rifle in the $2-2.5k price range.
You mean like a Yankee K95, if so me too!
Another vote. A two barrel set for me though.

What cartridges would you like in an American made Kipplauf?

I would like to stick to rimmed cartridges in a break action Kipplauf. I think a .30-40 would be ideal for whitetail and could still be used for mule deer. Hand loaded to modern standards it would fall between a .308 Winchester and the .30-06 in power.

I could be content with the European standby 9.3x74R for a medium bore but would prefer either a .405 Winchester or a 400/350 Nitro 2 3/4" to handle anything bear or bigger here in the U.S..

That Luxus Arms Model 11 came pretty close to an American made Kipplauf but it came and went pretty quickly. (and I think it still had an external hammer)
The Luxus had an ugly dingus protruding from the receiver. No need for that. An action like the Merkel or Blaser without a hogback stock and interchangeable barrels that cost less than a used car would be nice.
why not get Ruger to do a Ruger #1 that we could change barrels like has been done on TC Encores somehow ?
I agree that a nifty affordable American-made kiplauf with a full range of interchangeable barrels would be sweet, at least to discerning hunters/shooters/collectors. But wait, is/wasn't such a thing a reality? I'm thinking of the T-C Aristocrat. It didn't make a big splash, and may be a bellweather for gun manufacturers who would consider the profitability of such a venture. I don't know. Even me, a died-in-the-wool rifle loony never gave them much thought although now with my shifting interests I may have to scare one up as a sweet rifle to carry on a day of woods loafing.
The TCR had a horrible safety config.
Were trim though.
Neat idea just not very well thought out IMHO
TC seemed to do silly stuff.....

Were content w " almost ".
I fear H&R handirifle is as close as we will get. to an American Kipplauf! I'm not even sure the TX Encore Carbine comes close enough to count....

I wish CZ kept importing the Brno Effect and brought it in a variety of exotic euro calibers. I'd buy one in 6.5x55, and another in 7x57.

I HOPE Ruger will keep making the No1 for years to come.... even if its just a few calibers a year in Lipsey's exclusives.... but throw in some more classic brit & euro cailbers! (I'd like a 1S in 8x57mm)

Poole
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I agree that a nifty affordable American-made kiplauf with a full range of interchangeable barrels would be sweet, at least to discerning hunters/shooters/collectors. But wait, is/wasn't such a thing a reality? I'm thinking of the T-C Aristocrat. It didn't make a big splash, and may be a bellweather for gun manufacturers who would consider the profitability of such a venture. I don't know. Even me, a died-in-the-wool rifle loony never gave them much thought although now with my shifting interests I may have to scare one up as a sweet rifle to carry on a day of woods loafing.

I see TCR83 Aristocrats routinely being offered on GunBroker. I’m certainly pleased with mine, despite the minor annoyance in manipulating the safety which is claimed by others to be a deal-breaker.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice looking rifle, but you're a more patient man than many in regard to that safety. What an abortion. I nearly bought one from gunbroker but luckily had a chance to handle one locally. Such a goofy, impractical design.
In my astute, incisive and well arrived opinion, most American hunters see break open single shots as cheap farm guns no matter how nicely executed they are. They associate the style with Grandma's Handi-Rifle or if they had a real gunny relative, Uncle Joe's Savage 219.

A nicely done switch barrel Kiplauf with good accuracy would be great to see, such rifles can be made very light and slender but it would always be a boutique offering. The TCR 83 and 87 were offered in the 80's when the economy was doing great and folks were making money. Kimber did a land office business with their several hundred dollar .22 rifles in the same time frame when your average Marlin/Savage/Sears Roebuck .22 bolt rifle was under $100.

I had a TCR 83 in .223 and it was a nice rifle. It was accurate enough by the standards of the day and would group five shots into about an inch with its best load, and the set trigger was a nice idea.
Can someone describe that safety?
As Jim in Idaho said, it's hard for guys who were economically challenged in their younger years to get excited about the kiplauf when all it does is bring up images of the Savage 219. Kind of like when you were a kid, riding in the folk's Studebaker, you'd scrunch down in the seat so your friends couldn't see you. Pride is a sin, and sin never bothered me any.
So, if somebody wants to build something, I vote for the Borchardt '78 with it's narrow frame and svelte profile. I would think the prototype should be built in a modern powerful cartridge like the .45-70 and if it sells maybe a flat shooting scaled down model in .38-55. A varmint round like the .30-40 might sell too.
TCR87.
Bye bye.
Safety sucked.
Scope base looked like hell ( even when running Redfield system ).
Had a couple bbls and while the bluing was excellent, i saw a difference in mounting. Both worked but the forend attach on one was a little off to the side.
Typical TC .

Dont really care for a break open rifle.
And while the H&R and CVA stuff is lower end...

I have no bias against them being farm guns.

Nope, in rifle form I prefer a falling block. But even then Ruger annoys me w their quarter rib having rings too far fwd and the rings themselves sucking azz.

I will tolerate a TC single shot in Contender.form

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
So who is gonna commision a Ruger #1 w savage bbl.nut and cantilever scope base 😂

It was a crossbolt safety at the front top of the trigger guard but also had a button in the front. You had to push in that button to release the safety.

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

It was a crossbolt safety at the front top of the trigger guard but also had a button in the front. You had to push in that button to release the safety.

Thanks. Sounds funky.
It had to be the berries w gloves on a cold winter deer hunt
Posted By: Pugs Re: Wish for American gunmakers. - 12/23/21
Originally Posted by ccd
I know sales reps and engineers for some of the gun companies at least visit this website. With the current infatuation with ultra lightweight rifles in the US market, I would love an American made jaeger block single shot rifle in the $2-2.5k price range.

Seems desirable but unlikely. I wonder, given the amazing number of custom rifle smiths we have today, if instead a company offered in the white actions single shot actions of a couple sizes and some barrel options that might allow a base of say $1K with the gunsmith of your choice finishing it for another $1-1.5K ?

Ruger used to offer #1 actions but I have no idea what they cost at the time.
Based on the scarcity of ones for sale, I suspect the Henry Single Shots are doing well as bargain kipplaufs. Not switchable, but very serviceable, with nice walnut with decent machine checkering. Good shooters too. Much nicer cosmetically than the H&R models. If you can find them, you could buy several for the price of a No 1. If they’d spent a bit more to contour the receiver somewhat, they could be quite handsome too. I’m hoping to find one in .357 someday, and my .410 is staying for the duration. Had a .308 that shot very well, before the UPS man threw it against the wall (or whatever) on its way back from the recall.
Less than $200 IIRC. The complete rifle was $265!

Thanks. Sounds funky.

If you’re intrigued by the TCR83 Aristocrat, with its double set trigger and its shotgun-like take-down and handling qualities, don’t let the cockamamie safety put you off.
A couple observations about that TCR safety: It can be pretty quickly disengaged by pushing the safety with the thumb as the index finger releases the locking button. But, if that seems too much bother, the un-set trigger pull weight is about 6 pounds, more than the trigger pull weight of a full sized Glock which essentially has no safety (‘cause the blade in a Glock trigger sure don’t keep it from being pulled).
Posted By: bcp Re: Wish for American gunmakers. - 12/23/21

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

I had one once upon a time. It fit me poorly, and I couldn't get past the safety having a safety.

Bruce
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by ccd

Seems desirable but unlikely. I wonder, given the amazing number of custom rifle smiths we have today, if instead a company offered in the white actions single shot actions of a couple sizes and some barrel options that might allow a base of say $1K with the gunsmith of your choice finishing it for another $1-1.5K ?

Ruger used to offer #1 actions but I have no idea what they cost at the time.

Years ago, Falling Block Works did just that. The actions looked a lot like Winchester Hi-Walls, but they were different internally, if I recall correctly. I don't know how many they actually sold, but I've seen only a handful of rifles built on them in nearly 40 years of gun buying.
Didn't Mossberg make a single shot rifle back in the 1990's that you could get extra barrels for? I don't remember what they were called or how good they were. Anyone remember?
Originally Posted by StuckInOhio
Didn't Mossberg make a single shot rifle back in the 1990's that you could get extra barrels for? I don't remember what they were called or how good they were. Anyone remember?

Yes, they have the SSi. I have one in .223. It's a nice enough rifle but mine has a 7# trigger. I would like it lightened but I'm having difficulties locating anyone who wants to work on it and It's beyond my capabilities. It is a break open design that uses an under the receiver lever to break it open. It is also capable of switching barrels. I have not bought any additional barrels. Mine has been modified to .223 AI.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...mageHoverTitle&form=IGRE&first=1

kwg
I would love it to but have given up on new options and forging ahead with a stainless G2 contender in custom wood. .22 LR-.375 JDJ should cover all that I need doing as I’m not likely to go chasing big angry critters anytime soon.
I'd like a # 1 manufactured in 22 LR. Seems there was a false rumor of such about 4 years ago that had me really wound up.
Posted By: bcp Re: Wish for American gunmakers. - 12/26/21
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd like a # 1 manufactured in 22 LR. Seems there was a false rumor of such about 4 years ago that had me really wound up.

And about 2/3 size. For rimfire and smaller than .473+- head size cartridges.

Bruce
Posted By: Teal Re: Wish for American gunmakers. - 12/26/21
I know it's single shot area but still...

I'd like to see a SxS - scaled to appropriate gauge.

I know there's maybe 1200 people total looking for a new one these days but still...

Would be neat.
I would like to see the resurrection of the TCR Aristocrat, but with a better, easier to use safety. In a caliber like the 260 Remington, it would be an absolute joy to carry & shoot.

EDIT: Sorry guys. I didn't realize almost this entire thread was discussing the T/C 83. I have one with several barrels and with the right caliber, it's a great, fun gun to carry.
I think you struck upon why it doesn't happen - the lack of buyers to make such stuff financially viable. We who cherish stuff like old-fashioned single shots are a small minority.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I would like to see the resurrection of the TCR Aristocrat, but with a better, easier to use safety. In a caliber like the 260 Remington, it would be an absolute joy to carry & shoot.

Yessir, I think I would belly up to the bar and drink some of that. Or not, because I have mucho plenty hunting rifles at a time in my life when hunting is becoming less attractive to me (physical limitations + age will do that), and my interests are shifting toward target rifles I can have fun with while sitting on my butt. A TCR-like kiplauf would fill the bill admirably for the former, not perfectly for the latter. But still.....
I'm glad to hear someone else thinks the way I do. I'm not nearly as mad at the local deer populations as I am the coyotes, armadillos, skunks, pigs and steel plates. I didn't shoot a deer this fall because I just didn't want to deal with the cleaning. I do enjoy shooting and will do more as time goes on.
I have a TCR Aristocrat and some small caliber barrels. The rifle is a joy to carry and shooting 22 Hornet, 222 Remington and the 22-250 is enjoyable although I'm not going to win any matches with them.
Found .243 win #1 RSI a bit blasty.
Wonder howd they look if they did them w 22" ?
One in 260 rem would be pretty sweet.

The orig 20" would be better for lower pressure stuff IMHO

Dont mind a break open pistol but dislike them in rifle.
So even w safety change, no to the TCR.

I have 3 SSi-One actions and 6 barrels. They are all shooters except I still have a 12 ga slug barrel NIB. Triggers are heavy, as is the gun itself. It is substantial but well made. I have one set up as a slug gun and it shoots Copper Solids into 2” groups at 100 yards.

One is set up as a 30-06 and another is a 223 varmint barrel. At a quick glance the resemble a No.1. Barrel selection was limited to about 8 chamberings, the slug setup, and a turkey barrel.

I’m actually trimming down and planning to sell everything except my slug setup.
I had a TCR 83 in 22 Hornet, a Kendrick Texas Contender in 221, and Contender carbines in 22 lr, 223, and 45-70. All were a joy to carry in the field and shot at least reasonably well. They're all gone. As I get older I find myself shooting more at the range than hunting these days. Break action rifles don't lend themselves to shooting from a rest at the bench. I still really enjoy single shot rifles, but am gravitating to falling blocks like Ruger No 1s, Dakota 10s, and single shot bolts like the Cooper 21. I hear some folks who say they can't get good accuracy from No 1s, but I have three that shoot extremely well; a No 1 B in 22 Hornet, a No 1 A in 30-06, and a 45-70. The 257 Roberts Dakota 10 is light, fits me perfectly and points like a fine shotgun. The Cooper is in 204 Ruger and is the most accurate gun I've ever owned.

I've never handled or shot a Blazer. They have a great reputation for reliability and accuracy, but not having the political gun limitations of most European countries, I'm done with switch barrel guns. My next single shot will likely be a High Wall.
What about the 1885 - they seem like a pretty good option give the lack of options in the American market. I’ve handled a few and like them - am working on an old low-wall in .22 LR and friend had a little .22 hornet that shot really well. Might just have to find one in .260 to try out?!

PennDog
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm glad to hear someone else thinks the way I do. I'm not nearly as mad at the local deer populations as I am the coyotes, armadillos, skunks, pigs and steel plates. I didn't shoot a deer this fall because I just didn't want to deal with the cleaning. I do enjoy shooting and will do more as time goes on.
I have a TCR Aristocrat and some small caliber barrels. The rifle is a joy to carry and shooting 22 Hornet, 222 Remington and the 22-250 is enjoyable although I'm not going to win any matches with them.

You need a grandson who loves to gut deer....mine enjoys it.....thankfully.
I wish I would have bought a Luxus arms rifle. I was close many times
I bought one of the original Luxus Arms rifles but struggled with it because I'm left handed. It sits in the safe. It's a 260 Remington.
U.S. made hi and low wall sleek stalking rifles with 26-28 inch barrels in all the rimmed/flanged cartridges, from 22 Hornet and 30-30 WCF to 44 Special, 375 Flanged and 450-400 Nitro, Farquharson versions would be happily excepted as well.
Originally Posted by Single_Shot

I have 3 SSi-One actions and 6 barrels. They are all shooters except I still have a 12 ga slug barrel NIB. Triggers are heavy, as is the gun itself. It is substantial but well made. I have one set up as a slug gun and it shoots Copper Solids into 2” groups at 100 yards.

One is set up as a 30-06 and another is a 223 varmint barrel. At a quick glance the resemble a No.1. Barrel selection was limited to about 8 chamberings, the slug setup, and a turkey barrel.

I’m actually trimming down and planning to sell everything except my slug setup.

Here's my SSi-One stable along with my No.1 for comparison.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16794425#Post16794425
Originally Posted by gunner500
U.S. made hi and low wall sleek stalking rifles with 26-28 inch barrels in all the rimmed/flanged cartridges, from 22 Hornet and 30-30 WCF to 44 Special, 375 Flanged and 450-400 Nitro, Farquharson versions would be happily excepted as well.

There are some I would sure have an interest in.
© 24hourcampfire