Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
ccd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I know sales reps and engineers for some of the gun companies at least visit this website. With the current infatuation with ultra lightweight rifles in the US market, I would love an American made jaeger block single shot rifle in the $2-2.5k price range.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
You mean like a Yankee K95, if so me too!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Another vote. A two barrel set for me though.

What cartridges would you like in an American made Kipplauf?

I would like to stick to rimmed cartridges in a break action Kipplauf. I think a .30-40 would be ideal for whitetail and could still be used for mule deer. Hand loaded to modern standards it would fall between a .308 Winchester and the .30-06 in power.

I could be content with the European standby 9.3x74R for a medium bore but would prefer either a .405 Winchester or a 400/350 Nitro 2 3/4" to handle anything bear or bigger here in the U.S..

That Luxus Arms Model 11 came pretty close to an American made Kipplauf but it came and went pretty quickly. (and I think it still had an external hammer)

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
The Luxus had an ugly dingus protruding from the receiver. No need for that. An action like the Merkel or Blaser without a hogback stock and interchangeable barrels that cost less than a used car would be nice.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
why not get Ruger to do a Ruger #1 that we could change barrels like has been done on TC Encores somehow ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I agree that a nifty affordable American-made kiplauf with a full range of interchangeable barrels would be sweet, at least to discerning hunters/shooters/collectors. But wait, is/wasn't such a thing a reality? I'm thinking of the T-C Aristocrat. It didn't make a big splash, and may be a bellweather for gun manufacturers who would consider the profitability of such a venture. I don't know. Even me, a died-in-the-wool rifle loony never gave them much thought although now with my shifting interests I may have to scare one up as a sweet rifle to carry on a day of woods loafing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The TCR had a horrible safety config.
Were trim though.
Neat idea just not very well thought out IMHO
TC seemed to do silly stuff.....

Were content w " almost ".

Last edited by hookeye; 12/22/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fear H&R handirifle is as close as we will get. to an American Kipplauf! I'm not even sure the TX Encore Carbine comes close enough to count....

I wish CZ kept importing the Brno Effect and brought it in a variety of exotic euro calibers. I'd buy one in 6.5x55, and another in 7x57.

I HOPE Ruger will keep making the No1 for years to come.... even if its just a few calibers a year in Lipsey's exclusives.... but throw in some more classic brit & euro cailbers! (I'd like a 1S in 8x57mm)

Poole

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I agree that a nifty affordable American-made kiplauf with a full range of interchangeable barrels would be sweet, at least to discerning hunters/shooters/collectors. But wait, is/wasn't such a thing a reality? I'm thinking of the T-C Aristocrat. It didn't make a big splash, and may be a bellweather for gun manufacturers who would consider the profitability of such a venture. I don't know. Even me, a died-in-the-wool rifle loony never gave them much thought although now with my shifting interests I may have to scare one up as a sweet rifle to carry on a day of woods loafing.

I see TCR83 Aristocrats routinely being offered on GunBroker. I’m certainly pleased with mine, despite the minor annoyance in manipulating the safety which is claimed by others to be a deal-breaker.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Nice looking rifle, but you're a more patient man than many in regard to that safety. What an abortion. I nearly bought one from gunbroker but luckily had a chance to handle one locally. Such a goofy, impractical design.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my astute, incisive and well arrived opinion, most American hunters see break open single shots as cheap farm guns no matter how nicely executed they are. They associate the style with Grandma's Handi-Rifle or if they had a real gunny relative, Uncle Joe's Savage 219.

A nicely done switch barrel Kiplauf with good accuracy would be great to see, such rifles can be made very light and slender but it would always be a boutique offering. The TCR 83 and 87 were offered in the 80's when the economy was doing great and folks were making money. Kimber did a land office business with their several hundred dollar .22 rifles in the same time frame when your average Marlin/Savage/Sears Roebuck .22 bolt rifle was under $100.

I had a TCR 83 in .223 and it was a nice rifle. It was accurate enough by the standards of the day and would group five shots into about an inch with its best load, and the set trigger was a nice idea.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can someone describe that safety?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
As Jim in Idaho said, it's hard for guys who were economically challenged in their younger years to get excited about the kiplauf when all it does is bring up images of the Savage 219. Kind of like when you were a kid, riding in the folk's Studebaker, you'd scrunch down in the seat so your friends couldn't see you. Pride is a sin, and sin never bothered me any.
So, if somebody wants to build something, I vote for the Borchardt '78 with it's narrow frame and svelte profile. I would think the prototype should be built in a modern powerful cartridge like the .45-70 and if it sells maybe a flat shooting scaled down model in .38-55. A varmint round like the .30-40 might sell too.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
TCR87.
Bye bye.
Safety sucked.
Scope base looked like hell ( even when running Redfield system ).
Had a couple bbls and while the bluing was excellent, i saw a difference in mounting. Both worked but the forend attach on one was a little off to the side.
Typical TC .

Dont really care for a break open rifle.
And while the H&R and CVA stuff is lower end...

I have no bias against them being farm guns.

Nope, in rifle form I prefer a falling block. But even then Ruger annoys me w their quarter rib having rings too far fwd and the rings themselves sucking azz.

I will tolerate a TC single shot in Contender.form

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
So who is gonna commision a Ruger #1 w savage bbl.nut and cantilever scope base 😂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It was a crossbolt safety at the front top of the trigger guard but also had a button in the front. You had to push in that button to release the safety.

[Linked Image from i2.wp.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

It was a crossbolt safety at the front top of the trigger guard but also had a button in the front. You had to push in that button to release the safety.

Thanks. Sounds funky.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
It had to be the berries w gloves on a cold winter deer hunt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ccd
I know sales reps and engineers for some of the gun companies at least visit this website. With the current infatuation with ultra lightweight rifles in the US market, I would love an American made jaeger block single shot rifle in the $2-2.5k price range.

Seems desirable but unlikely. I wonder, given the amazing number of custom rifle smiths we have today, if instead a company offered in the white actions single shot actions of a couple sizes and some barrel options that might allow a base of say $1K with the gunsmith of your choice finishing it for another $1-1.5K ?

Ruger used to offer #1 actions but I have no idea what they cost at the time.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Based on the scarcity of ones for sale, I suspect the Henry Single Shots are doing well as bargain kipplaufs. Not switchable, but very serviceable, with nice walnut with decent machine checkering. Good shooters too. Much nicer cosmetically than the H&R models. If you can find them, you could buy several for the price of a No 1. If they’d spent a bit more to contour the receiver somewhat, they could be quite handsome too. I’m hoping to find one in .357 someday, and my .410 is staying for the duration. Had a .308 that shot very well, before the UPS man threw it against the wall (or whatever) on its way back from the recall.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

732 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,843
Posts18,478,259
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.