Home
Posted By: Wolfdog91 So, handi rifles - 12/19/23
Anyone else happen to play with these ? I have a love hate relationship with them , the fact they always seem to be rather quirky and not just work keeps me beyond interested with them. So far my Ulta varmint has really put me though the ringer. Free float the handgaurd, besides the handgaurd, did the o ring trick, went though 3-4 different scope base designs, trigger work ranging from stoning, lubing and honing every engagement point in the original transfer bar design to gutting it and installing a rebounding trigger so i could take the trigger weight down as much as I like .Stretching the original hammer spring out to using a old double coils style, all type of reloads barrel cooling and heating , so in and so on. Currently I testing a theory I have with bipod mounting on these.
[Linked Image from trapperman.com]

Anyone else partake ? laugh
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: So, handi rifles - 12/19/23
There are a few of us who have them. The only ones I have left are a 22 Hornet, now a 22 K-Hornet, a 44 magnum and a 444 Marlin. I don't bother with the 444 much anymore.

Owning them is a love/hate thing. I had problems with a couple of 22 Hornets and a 30-30. The only Handi that was a good shooter out of the box was a 308 Survivor.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: So, handi rifles - 12/19/23
I've had a bunch, still have a few including 22 hornet, 243 , 44 mag and 500 S&W .
Posted By: MOW Re: So, handi rifles - 12/19/23
You did a lot, but it's more about a good bore. You can do all the things you did, but if the bore isn't good, nothing else matters. I had some that shot okay and others that didn't, the ones that didn't, just didn't, nothing made them shoot better.
Posted By: Wolfdog91 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by MOW
You did a lot, but it's more about a good bore. You can do all the things you did, but if the bore isn't good, nothing else matters. I had some that shot okay and others that didn't, the ones that didn't, just didn't, nothing made them shoot better.
Storage enough about all the ones I've been able to bore scope lately have nice or at least decent looking bores.

Will say though they seems to like cast bullets over jacketed for some reason at least the .223 and .22 hornet I've tried
Posted By: aboltfan Re: So, handi rifles - 12/19/23
I have had a bunch of them. Still have a few. Mine have been ok to very good. The most accurate being a Sportster rimfire 17 M2. It is so accurate I'd shoot it against high dollar rimfires.

My attitude is they are what they are and I like them. I hunt with mine and if I can get 1.5 inch or better groups, I'm good. Load it up and go kill something.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by aboltfan
I have had a bunch of them. Still have a few. Mine have been ok to very good. The most accurate being a Sportster rimfire 17 M2. It is so accurate I'd shoot it against high dollar rimfires.

My attitude is they are what they are and I like them. I hunt with mine and if I can get 1.5 inch or better groups, I'm good. Load it up and go kill something.

Pretty much what I always thought of them, too. They were made as a cheap rifle, not a benchrest gun. I've had quite a few of them, and I can only recall one being a real tack driver. Most of them were 2MOA-ish. On the flip side I only ever had one that was a really bad shooter... 22-250. That one habitually broke ejectors, too.

I only have one spare frame sitting around without a barrel now. With the prices they pull these days, I don't see myself really chasing after any more in the future... the cheap price tag was always the appeal of them to me, and they aren't cheaper than a brand new CVA or economy bolt rifle that will generally outshoot them anymore.
Posted By: MOW Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
I'm not bashing, but they were inexpensive rifle/shotguns. I have couple favorites, but what comes with inexpensive is inconsistence bores (maybe that's why some have success with oversize lead bullets). I think that's why you hear people that have ones that shot great and other people that have ones they can't get to shoot.
Posted By: Jericho Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
NEF made a limited run of handi rifles in 35 REM several years ago, but they are very hard to find
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
I have one in 30-30 I bought for cheap to plink and play with. It shoots super good no matter what bullet or weight I’ve tried.
Posted By: Joe Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
I have one in .45/70 that shoots good enough for it's purpose or 1 1/2 to 2" groups with cast bullets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: MtnT Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
I have 3 actions and six or more barrels

300 Blackout, less than an inch, took a 26” wide muley

30-06 w 165 CorLok less than an inch

223 w Winchester white box, cloverleaf

35 Whelen 1”

35 Remington idk, maybe 2” on subsonic hand loads

Are some of my results

The brass sticks in the 30-06, pain in the ….

I use 1-2 neoprene washers on the foreend
24 in-lb torque on the front screw

That is it
You need to try several types of ammo see what it likes

Also the scope rail can bend easy, changing POI
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
Most of them are about 1” guns at best, if you wanna shoot small groups, best move on to something else and save all the headaches and enjoy the time spent trying to make something shoot that never was intended too, enjoy that time shooting a known accurate rifle.
Posted By: MtnT Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
My son 10yo. got a Pronghorn with the 300 Blackout
150yds

piece of cake

My daughter got her first Pronghorn with the 30-06, Hornady Lite 125gr ammo
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
Handi rifles were meant for average Joes who couldn't afford to buy bolt action rifles or fancy European rifles. There was nothing wrong with them that a little time smoothing metal tightening up the fit wouldn't fix. I really like single shots and because of the low price, I tried to make them shoot better. Sometimes it helped. Sometimes not.

This 30-30 gave me fits as did a 22 Hornet . The lock up wasn't square and accuracy suffered. I do wish they were still being made. They filled a niche. Unfortunately, almost everyone wants a "tactical" rifle with huge magnification scopes. There doesn't seem to be much room in North America for woods rifles with low power scopes these days. Try finding a 4 power scope or an affordable single shot.

I guess we'll have to wait until they come back in style again.

Posted By: JPro Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
My family shot .444 and .35R Handi Rifles for several years but moved to the CVA models for their better triggers out of the box.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Handi rifles were meant for average Joes who couldn't afford to buy bolt action rifles or fancy European rifles. There was nothing wrong with them that a little time smoothing metal tightening up the fit wouldn't fix. I really like single shots and because of the low price, I tried to make them shoot better. Sometimes it helped. Sometimes not.

This 30-30 gave me fits as did a 22 Hornet . The lock up wasn't square and accuracy suffered. I do wish they were still being made. They filled a niche. Unfortunately, almost everyone wants a "tactical" rifle with huge magnification scopes. There doesn't seem to be much room in North America for woods rifles with low power scopes these days. Try finding a 4 power scope or an affordable single shot.

I guess we'll have to wait until they come back in style again.

The CVAs are sorta filling that niche now. Not "cheap" like the H&R days, but they can be had really reasonably, especially if you catch a sale. I got my stainless Scout for ~$350 last summer. Buds still has a dump on the cheaper finished models for under $300 once in a while. In todays's money, that's a pretty good bargain for a brand new centerfire. They tend to be shooters right out of the box, too.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by zcm82
The CVAs are sorta filling that niche now. Not "cheap" like the H&R days, but they can be had really reasonably, especially if you catch a sale. I got my stainless Scout for ~$350 last summer. Buds still has a dump on the cheaper finished models for under $300 once in a while. In todays's money, that's a pretty good bargain for a brand new centerfire. They tend to be shooters right out of the box, too.

I never think of the CVA rifles for some reason. I would like this one. Something to ponder after the holidays!

[Linked Image from londerosports.com]
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by Jericho
NEF made a limited run of handi rifles in 35 REM several years ago, but they are very hard to find

I imagine a good many are in Mississippi and
Louisiana shops/pawn shops/gun shows
because they sold a bunch there for their
Primitive Weapons Season
Posted By: Papag Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
I have had a bunch over thevyears, some H&R before the Handi name. 30-30, 221 fireball, 44 mag, A couple versions in 45-70. Some were spike drivers (not tack) some sucked. I'm playing with a fairly late 45-70 now. My boys have the rest.
Posted By: Ella Re: So, handi rifles - 12/20/23
I've got one with .20 gauge, muzzleloader, and .357 mag barrels. The .20 gauge is what I've carried most. Great for long days on rabbits, but I've used it for turkey too. The muzzleloader has taken several deer, but got retired for a stainless CVA, which is a much more refined package. The .357 mag keyholed my handloads at 50 yrds and shot Remington FN into 3-4" at the same range. I tried messing with the forearm some, but haven't spent enough time to get it to shoot or give up.

I wish CVA made a stainless with wood stock in .357 magnum. The trigger on my muzzleloader is excellent, and it shoots like a rifle should, but the plastic stock is nowhere near as comfortable as the Handi's wood.
Posted By: MtnT Re: So, handi rifles - 12/21/23
I must have been luck with my Handi’s
They all shot well with Select ammo and the rubber washer trick

The scope base is fragile is my complaint and where it cantilevers over the barrel it can bend if bumped

I try to but the scope rings as far back as allows to minimize this
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/21/23
I never had any of the problems that people
post about with any of the H&R's/ NEF's that
I've had and killed animals with

Probably shouldn't jinx myself, but I've yet
to see a broken plastic trigger guard either,
on Handis or any other thing that had one.

( exception- a Snake Charmer short 410 I
had probably 45 years ago. In fairness, a
buddy did use it as an offensive w****n
to **** a loud drunken *** **** with )
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/21/23
Never owned one, but l avoid discontinued things if something current is available that fills the same role. Right now that’s the Henrys, if you like wood and steel, and the CVA if SS and a host of cartridges and configurations is of interest. They don’t allow the barrel swapping that Handis do, but otherwise are solid choices with good triggers and support. My CVA is a ML, and it’s almost embarrassing how well it works for the price after I spent a bunch of money on premium Knights that shot no better, were royal PITAs to clean, and required custom aftermarket breechplugs to avoid struggling with stuck primers. Futzing around with kludgey crap like O-rings and such may appeal to some, but I prefer stuff that works as it should right out of the box. I have a couple of Henrys, and they are well-finished, work flawlessly, and have wood way above their pay grade.

Hopefully factory or aftermarket wood will appear for the CVAs in time.

All that negativity aside, there are a couple of H&Rs I wouldn’t mind picking up, a .17 M2 and one of the nickeled .30/30-20ga packages.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: So, handi rifles - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by Ella
I've got one with .20 gauge, muzzleloader, and .357 mag barrels. The .20 gauge is what I've carried most. Great for long days on rabbits, but I've used it for turkey too. The muzzleloader has taken several deer, but got retired for a stainless CVA, which is a much more refined package. The .357 mag keyholed my handloads at 50 yrds and shot Remington FN into 3-4" at the same range. I tried messing with the forearm some, but haven't spent enough time to get it to shoot or give up.

I wish CVA made a stainless with wood stock in .357 magnum. The trigger on my muzzleloader is excellent, and it shoots like a rifle should, but the plastic stock is nowhere near as comfortable as the Handi's wood.

Try pushing the 357 faster. I had one, and it only shot well with speed. 38 Specials and mild 357 loads were pretty terrible out of it. I ended up getting it reamed to 357 Max, and that really perked up the accuracy.

That's one of the very few rifles I regret getting rid of. I've asked to buy it back a couple times, unsuccessfully. 🤦‍♂️
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: So, handi rifles - 12/21/23
I have 2 and really am disappointed Remington killed the brand. They are what they are, but for the price back in the day, nothing today compares. The barrel accessory program was great and very reasonable. My wife has killed quite a few gobblers with her 3” 20 ga and my Huntsman now also has a 410 and 357 magnum barrel.
Posted By: MOW Re: So, handi rifles - 12/21/23
FYSA, Warne make a steel base, it's a little shorter, but there is absolutely no flex to it.
Posted By: Txtrout Re: So, handi rifles - 12/21/23
Boyds makes wood and laminate stocks for the CVAs.
Posted By: Txtrout Re: So, handi rifles - 12/21/23
I also have a love/hate for the Handi. My opinion is that the Henry and CVA's are better rifles.

However, the Handi can be good. Especially if you want to use one to build something else, such as the 9x19mm Stutzen I'm working on for my teen age daughter to shoot.
Posted By: EarneyG Re: So, handi rifles - 01/12/24
I have had a few, most have been good except for the exception of a 444 that gunsmith just can't get the trigger to strike the cartridge like it should(doesn't fire every time). I need to find a single shot 7mm-08 for my grandson, but I'm finding out it's not much out there. They quit making handi rifles, was looking at the cva scout and they quit making them. The new Henry single shot isn't offered in 7mm-08.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: So, handi rifles - 01/14/24
I have a 7mm 08 and it shoots pretty good. I regret not getting a rifled 20 gauge barrel when Marlin owned H&R.
Posted By: leadfeather Re: So, handi rifles - 02/12/24
I have a wood stocked 444 that shoots a little over a inch at 100yds. I have polished the trigger Contact points and is now a clean 3lb. I am older and I now appreciate close range hunting in thickets. I have recently upgraded the scope base and rings with Warne steel .The real clincher was when I put a #300 scope (Leopold fx2 2.5) on a $150 dollar rifle. I think a leather ammo cuff to trick it out is in order!
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: So, handi rifles - 02/12/24
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I have a wood stocked 444 that shoots a little over a inch at 100yds. I have polished the trigger Contact points and is now a clean 3lb. I am older and I now appreciate close range hunting in thickets. I have recently upgraded the scope base and rings with Warne steel .The real clincher was when I put a #300 scope (Leopold fx2 2.5) on a $150 dollar rifle. I think a leather ammo cuff to trick it out is in order!

I have a plastic stocked 444. It had a reflex sight on it for a while, but I switched it to a 2-7. I'm embarrassed to say that I have only had it at the range. I keep saying I will take it out, but it hasn't made any trips yet. frown
Posted By: fish30ought6 Re: So, handi rifles - 02/15/24
my .45-70 with NECG and front ramp/sight, no-dak spud peep, and trigger job shoots very well. killed a good 9-point with it this past season. recoil getting to be a bit much for my almost 73-year-old shoulder ... yeah, i put a lot of money into it to get exactly what i wanted. it was worth it ... carries beautifully ...
Posted By: gregintenn Re: So, handi rifles - 02/15/24
My first gun was an H&R 058 topper with two barrels. 30-30 and 20 gauge modified choke, 3" chamber. Dad paid $100 for it new at the local Ace Hardware store. I still have it. Even have the box. Mine shoots really good although the trigger sucks.

I once bought a Handi Rifle in 223 with a heavy barrel. Never could get it to shoot worth a flip. Sent it down the road.
Posted By: Brian9 Re: So, handi rifles - 02/15/24
I shoot H&R Handi Rifle in 577NE and a TC Encore in.500-110 Win. in Africa.
I hunt Cape buffalo with 700 grain, 577NE Peregrine Bushmaster bullets and .500-110Win, 410 grain Raptor,450 #13 solids Cutting Edge bullets. All these bullets have outstanding terminal performance, usually DRT.
Posted By: moosemike Re: So, handi rifles - 02/15/24
Originally Posted by Brian9
I shoot H&R Handi Rifle in 577NE and a TC Encore in.500-110 Win. in Africa.
I hunt Cape buffalo with 700 grain, 577NE Peregrine Bushmaster bullets and .500-110Win, 410 grain Raptor,450 #13 solids Cutting Edge bullets. All these bullets have outstanding terminal performance, usually DRT.

You actually have a Handi in 577 NE? 😮
Posted By: ihookem Re: So, handi rifles - 02/15/24
I have a .243 Win. compact and I can only get it to shoot with light bullets, therefore we dont use it. I bought it for my son when he was 12 and it sure is handy . He shot one deer with it . I would likely sell it for $150 . I must have 200 rounds through it . We went with a Rem. 700 compact , and that did not shoot very good but plenty for Wis. deer. He would rather hunt bear , so i traded that for a .270 WIn.. Now hw sais he is too busy to go hunting. " Got to make money dad", is what he sais.
Posted By: Brian9 Re: So, handi rifles - 02/16/24
Hello Moosemike,
Yes I actually do. The .577 NE, like all those old rimmed bid bores is a very low pressure cartridge.

I got the idea and help in the rebarreling from a great guy the USA, Ed Hubel who passed away about a year ago. It has a 26.5 " bull barrel which Ed made using the "stub barrel" process. and a very straight stock which I made. It weighs about 12 lbs. and is not too bad to shoot. I load the 700 Peregrine Bushmaster bullets at about 1,800 fps.

Cape buffalo react to being shot with it like they have been stuck by lighting! The first time I did it both I and the two PH's were very surprised. With a decent shoulder shot and a good bullet, a cape buffalo usually just staggers several steps and goes down. I have killed 4 buffalo with it. I have also killed 6 buffalo with a 375HH using NorthFork bullet. ( I don't like the 375 for Cape buffalo. I my lonely opinion the 375 is not enough gun for Cape buffalo. Sooner or later a 375 will get you a full throttle charge.)

My 500-110 Win. ( actually a 50-110 win. necked down a bit to true .500 cal. like the 500 S&W.) with a 410 grain, .500 cal Cutting Edge Raptor bullet at 2,000 fps kills them "Dead Right There" too.

Thanks for your honest question. I know that it is a bit hard to believe.

Brian
Posted By: moosemike Re: So, handi rifles - 02/17/24
Originally Posted by Brian9
Hello Moosemike,
Yes I actually do. The .577 NE, like all those old rimmed bid bores is a very low pressure cartridge.

I got the idea and help in the rebarreling from a great guy the USA, Ed Hubel who passed away about a year ago. It has a 26.5 " bull barrel which Ed made using the "stub barrel" process. and a very straight stock which I made. It weighs about 12 lbs. and is not too bad to shoot. I load the 700 Peregrine Bushmaster bullets at about 1,800 fps.

Cape buffalo react to being shot with it like they have been stuck by lighting! The first time I did it both I and the two PH's were very surprised. With a decent shoulder shot and a good bullet, a cape buffalo usually just staggers several steps and goes down. I have killed 4 buffalo with it. I have also killed 6 buffalo with a 375HH using NorthFork bullet. ( I don't like the 375 for Cape buffalo. I my lonely opinion the 375 is not enough gun for Cape buffalo. Sooner or later a 375 will get you a full throttle charge.)

My 500-110 Win. ( actually a 50-110 win. necked down a bit to true .500 cal. like the 500 S&W.) with a 410 grain, .500 cal Cutting Edge Raptor bullet at 2,000 fps kills them "Dead Right There" too.

Thanks for your honest question. I know that it is a bit hard to believe.

Brian

Unreal! That might be the most surprised I have ever been regarding a firearm!
Posted By: kennyd Re: So, handi rifles - 02/17/24
I have 4570 .35 whelen 308 2506 243 12-3.5
It gave ne a chance to own and shoot cartridges I couldn't afford otherwise. Being a lefty adds to that. I likexwoids so tge length is an advantage
The .243s had 11 inch twist at times so don't like 100 gr bullets.
The whelen was the only one giving me fits changing poi drastically with different weight bullets. I finally found a pressure point that tamed harmonics.
Posted By: Dinny Re: So, handi rifles - 02/17/24
I have a few Handi Rifles in 300BLK, 360 BHMR, 50cal ML, 348 Win, 357 Max, 30-30AI, and I have stubbed a few too.

They have their nuances but they get the job done.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: So, handi rifles - 02/17/24
Wolfdog91: I have 3 "Handi-Rifles" myself and have mounted scopes on and sighted in two more Handi-Rifles for friends.
All 5 of them passed "my" accuracy standards and I enjoy them.
My three Handi-Rifles are heavy barrels (I don't know if they made sporter weight barreled models?) in 17 Mach2, 17 HMR and 204 Ruger. All three shoot well even with moderate power scopes on them of modest value/quality.
That is part of the reason I tried them in the first place. The modest values (back then!) so when I am out in the woods loafing/hiking/camping/fishing I can bring them along as a truck gun and not fear losing the bank if one were to be stolen.
The other two Handi-Rifles my friends bought were both heavy barrel models in 17 HMR and they shot rather well also.
I am somewhat impressed by the "single-action" trigger pull (let off) on all the ones I've owned/tried.
My local gunshop had one in a few months back in caliber 280 Remington and it sold quickly - don't have any reports on its accuracy though.
Hope you can get your Rifle settled in. What caliber is it by the way?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: EVERY and I mean EVERY one of my Ground Squirrel Hunting friends who see my shooting my Handi-Rifle in 17 Mach2 pleads to buy it from me. No sale - is my reply.
Posted By: davesonic444 Re: So, handi rifles - 02/22/24
I am intrigued at the idea of a bipod on these. I have two, a 444 and a 45 convesion to muzzleloader and these are my goto for Ohio deer.
© 24hourcampfire