Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've got one with .20 gauge, muzzleloader, and .357 mag barrels. The .20 gauge is what I've carried most. Great for long days on rabbits, but I've used it for turkey too. The muzzleloader has taken several deer, but got retired for a stainless CVA, which is a much more refined package. The .357 mag keyholed my handloads at 50 yrds and shot Remington FN into 3-4" at the same range. I tried messing with the forearm some, but haven't spent enough time to get it to shoot or give up.

I wish CVA made a stainless with wood stock in .357 magnum. The trigger on my muzzleloader is excellent, and it shoots like a rifle should, but the plastic stock is nowhere near as comfortable as the Handi's wood.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I must have been luck with my Handi’s
They all shot well with Select ammo and the rubber washer trick

The scope base is fragile is my complaint and where it cantilevers over the barrel it can bend if bumped

I try to but the scope rings as far back as allows to minimize this

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I never had any of the problems that people
post about with any of the H&R's/ NEF's that
I've had and killed animals with

Probably shouldn't jinx myself, but I've yet
to see a broken plastic trigger guard either,
on Handis or any other thing that had one.

( exception- a Snake Charmer short 410 I
had probably 45 years ago. In fairness, a
buddy did use it as an offensive w****n
to **** a loud drunken *** **** with )

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never owned one, but l avoid discontinued things if something current is available that fills the same role. Right now that’s the Henrys, if you like wood and steel, and the CVA if SS and a host of cartridges and configurations is of interest. They don’t allow the barrel swapping that Handis do, but otherwise are solid choices with good triggers and support. My CVA is a ML, and it’s almost embarrassing how well it works for the price after I spent a bunch of money on premium Knights that shot no better, were royal PITAs to clean, and required custom aftermarket breechplugs to avoid struggling with stuck primers. Futzing around with kludgey crap like O-rings and such may appeal to some, but I prefer stuff that works as it should right out of the box. I have a couple of Henrys, and they are well-finished, work flawlessly, and have wood way above their pay grade.

Hopefully factory or aftermarket wood will appear for the CVAs in time.

All that negativity aside, there are a couple of H&Rs I wouldn’t mind picking up, a .17 M2 and one of the nickeled .30/30-20ga packages.

What fresh Hell is this?
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Ella
I've got one with .20 gauge, muzzleloader, and .357 mag barrels. The .20 gauge is what I've carried most. Great for long days on rabbits, but I've used it for turkey too. The muzzleloader has taken several deer, but got retired for a stainless CVA, which is a much more refined package. The .357 mag keyholed my handloads at 50 yrds and shot Remington FN into 3-4" at the same range. I tried messing with the forearm some, but haven't spent enough time to get it to shoot or give up.

I wish CVA made a stainless with wood stock in .357 magnum. The trigger on my muzzleloader is excellent, and it shoots like a rifle should, but the plastic stock is nowhere near as comfortable as the Handi's wood.

Try pushing the 357 faster. I had one, and it only shot well with speed. 38 Specials and mild 357 loads were pretty terrible out of it. I ended up getting it reamed to 357 Max, and that really perked up the accuracy.

That's one of the very few rifles I regret getting rid of. I've asked to buy it back a couple times, unsuccessfully. 🤦‍♂️

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 2 and really am disappointed Remington killed the brand. They are what they are, but for the price back in the day, nothing today compares. The barrel accessory program was great and very reasonable. My wife has killed quite a few gobblers with her 3” 20 ga and my Huntsman now also has a 410 and 357 magnum barrel.

M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
FYSA, Warne make a steel base, it's a little shorter, but there is absolutely no flex to it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Boyds makes wood and laminate stocks for the CVAs.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I also have a love/hate for the Handi. My opinion is that the Henry and CVA's are better rifles.

However, the Handi can be good. Especially if you want to use one to build something else, such as the 9x19mm Stutzen I'm working on for my teen age daughter to shoot.

E
E
I have had a few, most have been good except for the exception of a 444 that gunsmith just can't get the trigger to strike the cartridge like it should(doesn't fire every time). I need to find a single shot 7mm-08 for my grandson, but I'm finding out it's not much out there. They quit making handi rifles, was looking at the cva scout and they quit making them. The new Henry single shot isn't offered in 7mm-08.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 7mm 08 and it shoots pretty good. I regret not getting a rifled 20 gauge barrel when Marlin owned H&R.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have a wood stocked 444 that shoots a little over a inch at 100yds. I have polished the trigger Contact points and is now a clean 3lb. I am older and I now appreciate close range hunting in thickets. I have recently upgraded the scope base and rings with Warne steel .The real clincher was when I put a #300 scope (Leopold fx2 2.5) on a $150 dollar rifle. I think a leather ammo cuff to trick it out is in order!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I have a wood stocked 444 that shoots a little over a inch at 100yds. I have polished the trigger Contact points and is now a clean 3lb. I am older and I now appreciate close range hunting in thickets. I have recently upgraded the scope base and rings with Warne steel .The real clincher was when I put a #300 scope (Leopold fx2 2.5) on a $150 dollar rifle. I think a leather ammo cuff to trick it out is in order!

I have a plastic stocked 444. It had a reflex sight on it for a while, but I switched it to a 2-7. I'm embarrassed to say that I have only had it at the range. I keep saying I will take it out, but it hasn't made any trips yet. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my .45-70 with NECG and front ramp/sight, no-dak spud peep, and trigger job shoots very well. killed a good 9-point with it this past season. recoil getting to be a bit much for my almost 73-year-old shoulder ... yeah, i put a lot of money into it to get exactly what i wanted. it was worth it ... carries beautifully ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My first gun was an H&R 058 topper with two barrels. 30-30 and 20 gauge modified choke, 3" chamber. Dad paid $100 for it new at the local Ace Hardware store. I still have it. Even have the box. Mine shoots really good although the trigger sucks.

I once bought a Handi Rifle in 223 with a heavy barrel. Never could get it to shoot worth a flip. Sent it down the road.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I shoot H&R Handi Rifle in 577NE and a TC Encore in.500-110 Win. in Africa.
I hunt Cape buffalo with 700 grain, 577NE Peregrine Bushmaster bullets and .500-110Win, 410 grain Raptor,450 #13 solids Cutting Edge bullets. All these bullets have outstanding terminal performance, usually DRT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brian9
I shoot H&R Handi Rifle in 577NE and a TC Encore in.500-110 Win. in Africa.
I hunt Cape buffalo with 700 grain, 577NE Peregrine Bushmaster bullets and .500-110Win, 410 grain Raptor,450 #13 solids Cutting Edge bullets. All these bullets have outstanding terminal performance, usually DRT.

You actually have a Handi in 577 NE? 😮

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have a .243 Win. compact and I can only get it to shoot with light bullets, therefore we dont use it. I bought it for my son when he was 12 and it sure is handy . He shot one deer with it . I would likely sell it for $150 . I must have 200 rounds through it . We went with a Rem. 700 compact , and that did not shoot very good but plenty for Wis. deer. He would rather hunt bear , so i traded that for a .270 WIn.. Now hw sais he is too busy to go hunting. " Got to make money dad", is what he sais.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hello Moosemike,
Yes I actually do. The .577 NE, like all those old rimmed bid bores is a very low pressure cartridge.

I got the idea and help in the rebarreling from a great guy the USA, Ed Hubel who passed away about a year ago. It has a 26.5 " bull barrel which Ed made using the "stub barrel" process. and a very straight stock which I made. It weighs about 12 lbs. and is not too bad to shoot. I load the 700 Peregrine Bushmaster bullets at about 1,800 fps.

Cape buffalo react to being shot with it like they have been stuck by lighting! The first time I did it both I and the two PH's were very surprised. With a decent shoulder shot and a good bullet, a cape buffalo usually just staggers several steps and goes down. I have killed 4 buffalo with it. I have also killed 6 buffalo with a 375HH using NorthFork bullet. ( I don't like the 375 for Cape buffalo. I my lonely opinion the 375 is not enough gun for Cape buffalo. Sooner or later a 375 will get you a full throttle charge.)

My 500-110 Win. ( actually a 50-110 win. necked down a bit to true .500 cal. like the 500 S&W.) with a 410 grain, .500 cal Cutting Edge Raptor bullet at 2,000 fps kills them "Dead Right There" too.

Thanks for your honest question. I know that it is a bit hard to believe.

Brian

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brian9
Hello Moosemike,
Yes I actually do. The .577 NE, like all those old rimmed bid bores is a very low pressure cartridge.

I got the idea and help in the rebarreling from a great guy the USA, Ed Hubel who passed away about a year ago. It has a 26.5 " bull barrel which Ed made using the "stub barrel" process. and a very straight stock which I made. It weighs about 12 lbs. and is not too bad to shoot. I load the 700 Peregrine Bushmaster bullets at about 1,800 fps.

Cape buffalo react to being shot with it like they have been stuck by lighting! The first time I did it both I and the two PH's were very surprised. With a decent shoulder shot and a good bullet, a cape buffalo usually just staggers several steps and goes down. I have killed 4 buffalo with it. I have also killed 6 buffalo with a 375HH using NorthFork bullet. ( I don't like the 375 for Cape buffalo. I my lonely opinion the 375 is not enough gun for Cape buffalo. Sooner or later a 375 will get you a full throttle charge.)

My 500-110 Win. ( actually a 50-110 win. necked down a bit to true .500 cal. like the 500 S&W.) with a 410 grain, .500 cal Cutting Edge Raptor bullet at 2,000 fps kills them "Dead Right There" too.

Thanks for your honest question. I know that it is a bit hard to believe.

Brian

Unreal! That might be the most surprised I have ever been regarding a firearm!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (260Remguy, 300s, 12344mag, 338rcm, 300_savage, 219DW, 50 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,619
Posts18,473,992
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.