Home
One of the advantages of owning this particular platform is that you use the same trigger and stock.

In my case, the trigger breaks at 2 3/4 lb, and with the exception of the 22 K-Hornet, they all recoil the same. It is nice to be able to pick up and shoot a rifle in various calibres that feels and points the same. That is why I keep hoping TC finds a new home and goes back into production.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
6BR

30-303 British

7.62x54r

22 K-Hornet

It's the same with my Contenders.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
That is why I keep hoping TC finds a new home and goes back into production.
I could use another encore frame. I haven't found any used ones around here.
I sure enjoy my three Contenders, one pistol and two carbines. With ten barrels. From 22 to 30-30 and 22 to 45 Colt. Got me covered here in the Peoples Republik of IL.
Mr. Redgwell, I share your sentiments. I only have a 209x.50 barrel, but it shoots extremely well. Unfortunately I didn't obtain any other barrels as an M1A and a couple of Scout rifles had me distracted. The price of used varrels is disheartening. Be well.
That ship has sailed. Too bad for us, but with gazillions of them out there, like the Savage 99 it’s probably just not a profitable notion.

As the boomers die off, more should be coming on the market…..😜
A 10" contender will shoot as accurately as a $1,000 rifle. I have proven that many times to nay sayers over the years on a 300 meter range where I was the match director. I do not warn them first, I would just say; "My open sight handgun will out shoot your scoped rifle."

Was shooting in the 12 state regional four gun championship match. Got to the Unlimited class and on the first sighter target, my bolt gun's firing pin broke. So I grabbed my 10" Contender production gun, and got back on the line just in time to shoot the first five targets. When the dust cleared, The 10" Contender took the top Unlimited gun 12 state trophy and helped win the top 4 gun aggregate trophy by two points. True story and the Contender shot two classes of the four, beating the bolt guns.

Worked for a while, then folks stopped taking the bet.
Did not like the G2 or Encore.
Have had several reg Contenders.
Also had a few side hammer MZ.

TC and nostalgia, i understand.

Past that.....theres a reason they went under and it aint all management.

Personally I hate changing barrels, on anything. Even shotguns.
Rather have each item set up and left as is.

Why i had a few Contenders and not just one w a bunch of bbls.
Never fell for the concept of a "kit".
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That ship has sailed. Too bad for us, but with gazillions of them out there, like the Savage 99 it’s probably just not a profitable notion.

Several at last local.gunshow. Prices not bad. Still a chunk though.
Talked to one seller, nobody was even looking at the stuff.
Said anybody under 50 just walked on by.

I hope SSK ramps things up. It’s been difficult for a lot of businesses the last few years.
Steve, who makes the mounts on the 30-303? They look better than the one piece EABCO mounts I have on my prohunter 20 gauge.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Originally Posted by scottishkat
Steve, who makes the mounts on the 30-303? They look better than the one piece EABCO mounts I have on my prohunter 20 gauge.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

It is made by dnz products - DedNutz . It is a single piece aluminum mount.

https://www.dnzproducts.com/
I would have liked to have another frame, don’t really appreciate the barrel swapping myself. Got a couple barrels I’ll never use, need to get motivated and post them on classifieds.
I really like mine, I don't do a lot of barrel swapping, but it's nice to have the option. With CVA and Henry making an affodable break open single, I don't think there is much incentive for competition. I could be wrong, and hope I am. Being from NH I miss the days when I could run over to Rochester, if I had a problem. Only did it once, with a Renegade, they were great to deal with.
I agree that there is likely no chance that TC reopens. Even though SSK is doing receivers, the cost of a complete Contender is very high. Four hundred for a receiver while you can buy a CVA complete rifle for that price.Then add on $300 to $400 for a barrel and another hundred for a synthetic stock or two hundred plus for wood and it is a non starter for most people. I love my Contenders, but probably in the future it will be CVA or Henry that get my money.
I tolerate a Contender in handgun form.
Prefer falling block if going rifle.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I agree that there is likely no chance that TC reopens. Even though SSK is doing receivers, the cost of a complete Contender is very high. Four hundred for a receiver while you can buy a CVA complete rifle for that price.Then add on $300 to $400 for a barrel and another hundred for a synthetic stock or two hundred plus for wood and it is a non starter for most people. I love my Contenders, but probably in the future it will be CVA or Henry that get my money.

The .223 is conspicuous by its absence from the CVA line. Maybe they see the Scouts as only deer rifles, but lots use them for that, and it’s be a great option for kids with a can.
i have two Encore's and one Contender. on the Encore's i have High Plains Factory style gunstock in Sapphyre and Royal Jacaranda Laminates. my Contender is factory wood in a handgun.

i have in Encore a factory 50 cal inline, 20 Vartarg, 444 Marlin and 500 Linebaugh (all rifles are 23" MGM factory heavy barrels. the Contender is a 14" muzzle brake in 7x30 Waters (RIP Dad), 10" in the 22 Hornet, 30 and 357 Herrett.

i wouldn't mind buying a Contender to add to my collection.

my oldest son "stole" my 45-70 Handi Rifle, but i don't hunt with it. i don't like the CVA and Henry single shots. i already have the Ruger #1 and that one is awesome. i don't like the Remington and Savage bolt handguns either.
All of the ordinary American break-actions suck in comparison with falling-blocks, but they fill a price niche, and the TCs’ swappable barrels had some purpose, but I think the Tupperware®️ rifles drove the final nail in the coffin, along with the AR craze. Guys who once might’ve bought TC barrels are now buying cheap bolt-actions or uppers. I have a Henry .357. It’s a nice rifle: works perfectly, has very nice wood, and only cost $500, but scoping one is a kludge. I have a scope set up for accuracy testing and maybe deer hunting someday, but it wears a Romeo 5 for just shooting, and a slip-on stock riser.
I’m stuck in one of those nostalgia pits. Not quite a rabbit hole. Back around 1974 I bought a Contender with a 14” 35 Remington barrel and a 22 RF. Then I picked up a 9MM and 45 Long Colt. A few years went by and a friend was getting out of drag racing. I traded him the TC for a Dodge 426 Max Wedge. We just met up again at a dinner. I asked if he still had it? He said yes, never shot it. I asked if he wanted to send it home? He said maybe, we can talk about it later. It has the old wood stocks on it. It’s not like I’m shopping for one, but I’d like to have THAT one back. MD went straight wall so I could hunt the old shotgun counties with it. I haven’t seen it in decades. Saying it’s in the VG condition when we traded, what would be a fair offer on both ends.
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I’m stuck in one of those nostalgia pits. Not quite a rabbit hole. Back around 1974 I bought a Contender with a 14” 35 Remington barrel and a 22 RF. Then I picked up a 9MM and 45 Long Colt. A few years went by and a friend was getting out of drag racing. I traded him the TC for a Dodge 426 Max Wedge. We just met up again at a dinner. I asked if he still had it? He said yes, never shot it. I asked if he wanted to send it home? He said maybe, we can talk about it later. It has the old wood stocks on it. It’s not like I’m shopping for one, but I’d like to have THAT one back. MD went straight wall so I could hunt the old shotgun counties with it. I haven’t seen it in decades. Saying it’s in the VG condition when we traded, what would be a fair offer on both ends.

Joe these prices that Leon mentioned are close to where you are....Although, your receiver would be a G1 not a G2, and for me not as desirable since the bbls and buttstocks do not fit the G2....
I thought bbls swapped but not the stocks.
The G2 can take higher pressure rounds like 6.5 Grendel.
Guess some aftermarket bbl makers make it so their G2 barrels wont work on G1. For that reason.

I had a G2. Felt like crap. Away it went .
I have just recently started putting together a TC contender collection and they are getting quite pricey. I bought a set up pistol in 223 with a super 14 barrel, then added a super 14 in 7-30 waters, a 21” carbine barrel in 30-30 along with a carbine stock set.
Then just in the last week ordered a super 14 in 357 maximum and a pachmayr grip and forend.
Have scopes to get mounted and dies to find and of course components to buy. That should keep me busy for quite awhile.
I am getting into this game pretty late as I will be 63 in a few weeks but I gues they’re right,, it is an old man’s game. 😃
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by JoeMartin

Joe these prices that Leon mentioned are close to where you are....Although, your receiver would be a G1 not a G2, and for me not as desirable since the bbls and buttstocks do not fit the G2....

Thanks. I looked on GB a couple years ago when MD went Straight wall, and was thinking about contacting my old friend. Prices were all over the place, under $400, and over $1000. I'll see if he will tell me what he wants? But that's against his nature. Back in our street rodding days he would tell people, " No offense, but I want it as cheap as I can get it, so my first offer is $100. If you want more than that, tell me what you want? If I have it, I'll pay it, if I don't, I'll pass." He got lots of cool stuff cheap.
All of the ordinary American break-actions suck in comparison with falling-blocks, but they fill a price niche, and the TCs’ swappable barrels had some purpose, but I think the Tupperware®️ rifles drove the final nail in the coffin, along with the AR craze. Guys who once might’ve bought TC barrels are now buying cheap bolt-actions or uppers. I have a Henry .357. It’s a nice rifle: works perfectly, has very nice wood, and only cost $500, but scoping one is a kludge. I have a scope set up for accuracy testing and maybe deer hunting someday, but it wears a Romeo 5 for just shooting, and a slip-on stock riser.

i hate tupperware stocks. i use High Plains Laminate gunstocks. at the time, you could pick a Encore action and stock for around $300 and a custom barrel for another $300. the last time i've looked it was around $400-500 for the action and stock, then another $400-500 for the custom barrel. the Contender was the same price too, but i bought 10" barrels from ebay, at the time, they were around $175 - 225. (22 Hornet, 30 and 357 Herrett)

500 Linebaugh with Royal Jacaranda stock

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LYE9aD9.jpg?1[/img]

i also have a Sapphyre gunstock on my 444 Marlin

http://www.highplainsgunstocks.com/wood-selection-page.html

i never had a upper, i used to shoot them in the Army all the time and i got sick of them. i've gotten rid of cheap Tupperware bolts action years ago. now i'm into sporterized '91 thru '98 Mausers, 1898 Springfield Krag, Type 99, Carcano's..........

i have a 1972 Winchester m94 in 35/30-30 (JES Reboring) and it werks perfectly and accurate too.
[quote=Pappy348]

I hope SSK ramps things up. It’s been difficult for a lot of businesses the last few years.

After what the new owners of SSK pulled on me and many other people....hope they go out of business ! Ever since JD Jones sold to the new owners they are on their way to bankruptcy !
Like the feel of the G1 synth stock and G2 rifle forend ( made by Choate for TC ). Added in a cheekpiece of Kydex and it worked well for me.

Hunted a while and determined my preference for rifles is falling block, not break open.

Contender pistol w Pachmayr gripper rear and non medallion front is my setup
Originally Posted by hookeye
Like the feel of the G1 synth stock and G2 rifle forend ( made by Choate for TC ). Added in a cheekpiece of Kydex and it worked well for me.

Hunted a while and determined my preference for rifles is falling block, not break open.

Contender pistol w Pachmayr gripper rear and non medallion front is my setup

Not to change the thread too much :), but I have a few break open Handis that I may refresh with some Boyds wood. I don't mind the Handis, but I never cared for the stocks. Thank goodness for aftermarket stuff!
At least 2 of the key former TC guys are now at CVA. Interesing.
Originally Posted by weagle

Do you know either of them? Maybe you can pick their brains for future projects.
Everyone knows you can't hit anything with a Contender....I have 3 receivers, 4 barrels. Not nearly enough barrels.

The .30-30...100 yards

.30 Sneezer...

.22 LR...50 yds (I'd rather be lucky than good.)

.22 Short...25 yards (Pigs hate this gun)
Originally Posted by weagle

Do you know either of them? Maybe you can pick their brains for future projects.

I don't know them. I was lobbying the guys I do know for a 16" pistol or take down in 360 BH and 6.5 grendel. I would put a Sharps Bros butt stock on the pistols. The 16" pistol lets you go back and forth between pistol and rifle without ATF issues. I mentioned that it would be similar to the TC super 16 and that's when he mentioned that the TC guys were on board.
my all time favorite contender barrel is my 22 K-Hornet its a great truck gun where legal , i own a lot of Contender stuff , sad T.C. stuff is no longer manufactured . i do have Bull Berry doing a 17 Hornet barrel for me another great little round. Pete53
I wish they would make the Cherokee once again in .32 and .45
Steve, that looks like a 10X Bushnell on the 30-303. I have one on my Ruger Swift. Love the scope, fixed power with no parallax adjustment. Really rugged.
Originally Posted by 219 Wasp
Steve, that looks like a 10X Bushnell on the 30-303. I have one on my Ruger Swift. Love the scope, fixed power with no parallax adjustment. Really rugged.

It is a 10x40. Unfortunately, like many other fixed power scopes, it's gone the way of the dodo. frown The sales gotta be there though.
If somebody was to buy TC, what would they get besides the brand name?
My guess is that if somebody bought the TC name, they'd proly do the Encore, G2 and maybe an inline MZ.

Or maybe come up with something completely new.....

maybe a TCR with a sensible safety LOL
Or a falling block?
It'd be great if they opened shop again. I prefer my T/C Encore with the 7mm-08 barrel over my rem 700's and 7400. Be even better if the used prices would come back down off cloud 9. Just last year Optic planet had a few T/C barrels on sale for around $250, now those same barrels are over $400. I've not counted my barrels, but I have around 15 different rifle barrels and 6 pistol barrels for my Encore frame, plus 3 other Encore frames and 1 PH frame. Not to mention 5 Contender frames, barrels, furniture and a rifle set-up. I have the G1 frames, they are easy to open, but not factory easy-open frames. I have two G2 barrels that work fine on the frames, just change the barrel lugs out and it'll work great.
I'm always looking and buying Encore/Pro-Hunter frames when I can. I'm trying to slow down on the Contenders. I bought a Contender pistol not long ago, thinking okay, this makes #3. A few days later, I realized it was #5, lol. They're certainly an addiction for sure.
If TC is to come back, wonder what their product line would be?

Proly the Encore.
Doubt any classic smokepoles.

I'd like to see them do something like the Savage 219.

Only have one Contender now, have had a half dozen LOL
Never been a fan of the Encore and didn't even like the G2.

Only reason I keep a Contender around, the .35 rem Super 14 is a hoot.
Mines stainless frame w blued bbl. Like the look (wears Pachmayr grip and forend).
Had a 4X Leupold on it, am trying to figure out what RDS to use.

One TC smokepole remains. A Hawken Silver Elite.
Honestly, my favorite was the Renegade. Have had three of em.

But being old n cranky, sure is nice to run an inline, knock out a charge at end of the hunt.
But even thats more hassle than I want to tolerate anymore.
TC would have to compete against the CVA scout for the low end.
Why even bother?

Dunno how the new SSK (or whoever makes it) Contender frame would affect things.

I think the Encore frame would be their main product.

After that they'd need something NEW. Again, a stainless 219 Savage clone (improved?).
Seems "similar" enough to the old TC product line.

Maybe a boutique shop w higher end wood rifles?
Hate to say it, but TC break opens are pretty much "Fudd guns".
There are more showing up at gunshows (shooters getting old/dying off).

I don't think too many old farts are gonna plunk down the $$$ for any new TC.
If the company is to be bought, they're gonna have to have something to appeal to younger shooters.

What were those plastic stocked rifles...........Venture, Compass?
Aren't there enough entry level rifles out there?
I would love to see Encore pistols again.
I did a quick search on the site, but did not find this. It is an opinion piece made last year called NO MORE Thompson Center Firearms.

Steve, that piece, is pretty much right on! I'm from NH, and it was a sad day when Thompson Center was no more. Smith and Wesson has pulled some bone-head moves and that was one of them.
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Steve, that piece, is pretty much right on! I'm from NH, and it was a sad day when Thompson Center was no more. Smith and Wesson has pulled some bone-head moves and that was one of them.

When I saw that video, it bothered me. Until a few years ago, I had a higher opinion of S&W. I know they have to make money, but them and some other old time firms like Remington don't seem to be interested in improving products which would make them money. The pride's gone out. It has to do more with how fast they can turn a profit now. frown
I went down the contender trail three times with six different original and G2 frames. I had mostly pistols but a couple rifle barrels. One original frame with a 12” custom 221 fireball barrel was a lot of fun in the PD towns. And a 357 maximum in a 14” barrel worked great on some antelope.
But there are lots better alternatives for accuracy and cost. I divested of my last two contenders about 10 years ago, and won’t go back to them.
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
[quote=Pappy348]

After what the new owners of SSK pulled on me and many other people....hope they go out of business ! Ever since JD Jones sold to the new owners they are on their way to bankruptcy !

Yeah, they’re turds.
I have a ton of T/C stuff, ain't for sale !!! Ther will be plenty of T/ C barrels for sale for a long time. Now new frames are being built, so we are good. I understand some folks don't like um, OK. HELL, I don't like autoloading shotguns, although I have a Win. Model 50, was my Dads. We have different likes.
Yes I went down the same rabbit hole 3 times,probly done with them!
Originally Posted by dale06
But there are lots better alternatives for accuracy and cost.

Specifics, please? I'm looking to add. I had in mind purchase of a couple after-market barrels for my G2 frame but if you know of something "better", both accuracy and cost, I'm very interested.
I'm thinking if someone were to resurrect the contender line, and throw in maybe a set of dies for the 22GTC(22LR-Center Fire), they might sell a few.....

Starting to work on loads with some Vihtavouri N-310, btw .6grain is a little over 11.5K rounds to the pound...

Selling a few ain’t a business plan. Looks like you’re having fun though!
© 24hourcampfire