Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
One of the advantages of owning this particular platform is that you use the same trigger and stock.

In my case, the trigger breaks at 2 3/4 lb, and with the exception of the 22 K-Hornet, they all recoil the same. It is nice to be able to pick up and shoot a rifle in various calibres that feels and points the same. That is why I keep hoping TC finds a new home and goes back into production.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
6BR

30-303 British

7.62x54r

22 K-Hornet

It's the same with my Contenders.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
That is why I keep hoping TC finds a new home and goes back into production.
I could use another encore frame. I haven't found any used ones around here.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I sure enjoy my three Contenders, one pistol and two carbines. With ten barrels. From 22 to 30-30 and 22 to 45 Colt. Got me covered here in the Peoples Republik of IL.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Mr. Redgwell, I share your sentiments. I only have a 209x.50 barrel, but it shoots extremely well. Unfortunately I didn't obtain any other barrels as an M1A and a couple of Scout rifles had me distracted. The price of used varrels is disheartening. Be well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That ship has sailed. Too bad for us, but with gazillions of them out there, like the Savage 99 it’s probably just not a profitable notion.

As the boomers die off, more should be coming on the market…..😜

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A 10" contender will shoot as accurately as a $1,000 rifle. I have proven that many times to nay sayers over the years on a 300 meter range where I was the match director. I do not warn them first, I would just say; "My open sight handgun will out shoot your scoped rifle."

Was shooting in the 12 state regional four gun championship match. Got to the Unlimited class and on the first sighter target, my bolt gun's firing pin broke. So I grabbed my 10" Contender production gun, and got back on the line just in time to shoot the first five targets. When the dust cleared, The 10" Contender took the top Unlimited gun 12 state trophy and helped win the top 4 gun aggregate trophy by two points. True story and the Contender shot two classes of the four, beating the bolt guns.

Worked for a while, then folks stopped taking the bet.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Did not like the G2 or Encore.
Have had several reg Contenders.
Also had a few side hammer MZ.

TC and nostalgia, i understand.

Past that.....theres a reason they went under and it aint all management.

Personally I hate changing barrels, on anything. Even shotguns.
Rather have each item set up and left as is.

Why i had a few Contenders and not just one w a bunch of bbls.
Never fell for the concept of a "kit".

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348
That ship has sailed. Too bad for us, but with gazillions of them out there, like the Savage 99 it’s probably just not a profitable notion.

Several at last local.gunshow. Prices not bad. Still a chunk though.
Talked to one seller, nobody was even looking at the stuff.
Said anybody under 50 just walked on by.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/05/24.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I hope SSK ramps things up. It’s been difficult for a lot of businesses the last few years.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Steve, who makes the mounts on the 30-303? They look better than the one piece EABCO mounts I have on my prohunter 20 gauge.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by scottishkat
Steve, who makes the mounts on the 30-303? They look better than the one piece EABCO mounts I have on my prohunter 20 gauge.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

It is made by dnz products - DedNutz . It is a single piece aluminum mount.

https://www.dnzproducts.com/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
J
I would have liked to have another frame, don’t really appreciate the barrel swapping myself. Got a couple barrels I’ll never use, need to get motivated and post them on classifieds.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I really like mine, I don't do a lot of barrel swapping, but it's nice to have the option. With CVA and Henry making an affodable break open single, I don't think there is much incentive for competition. I could be wrong, and hope I am. Being from NH I miss the days when I could run over to Rochester, if I had a problem. Only did it once, with a Renegade, they were great to deal with.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I agree that there is likely no chance that TC reopens. Even though SSK is doing receivers, the cost of a complete Contender is very high. Four hundred for a receiver while you can buy a CVA complete rifle for that price.Then add on $300 to $400 for a barrel and another hundred for a synthetic stock or two hundred plus for wood and it is a non starter for most people. I love my Contenders, but probably in the future it will be CVA or Henry that get my money.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I tolerate a Contender in handgun form.
Prefer falling block if going rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I agree that there is likely no chance that TC reopens. Even though SSK is doing receivers, the cost of a complete Contender is very high. Four hundred for a receiver while you can buy a CVA complete rifle for that price.Then add on $300 to $400 for a barrel and another hundred for a synthetic stock or two hundred plus for wood and it is a non starter for most people. I love my Contenders, but probably in the future it will be CVA or Henry that get my money.

The .223 is conspicuous by its absence from the CVA line. Maybe they see the Scouts as only deer rifles, but lots use them for that, and it’s be a great option for kids with a can.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i have two Encore's and one Contender. on the Encore's i have High Plains Factory style gunstock in Sapphyre and Royal Jacaranda Laminates. my Contender is factory wood in a handgun.

i have in Encore a factory 50 cal inline, 20 Vartarg, 444 Marlin and 500 Linebaugh (all rifles are 23" MGM factory heavy barrels. the Contender is a 14" muzzle brake in 7x30 Waters (RIP Dad), 10" in the 22 Hornet, 30 and 357 Herrett.

i wouldn't mind buying a Contender to add to my collection.

my oldest son "stole" my 45-70 Handi Rifle, but i don't hunt with it. i don't like the CVA and Henry single shots. i already have the Ruger #1 and that one is awesome. i don't like the Remington and Savage bolt handguns either.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All of the ordinary American break-actions suck in comparison with falling-blocks, but they fill a price niche, and the TCs’ swappable barrels had some purpose, but I think the Tupperware®️ rifles drove the final nail in the coffin, along with the AR craze. Guys who once might’ve bought TC barrels are now buying cheap bolt-actions or uppers. I have a Henry .357. It’s a nice rifle: works perfectly, has very nice wood, and only cost $500, but scoping one is a kludge. I have a scope set up for accuracy testing and maybe deer hunting someday, but it wears a Romeo 5 for just shooting, and a slip-on stock riser.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I’m stuck in one of those nostalgia pits. Not quite a rabbit hole. Back around 1974 I bought a Contender with a 14” 35 Remington barrel and a 22 RF. Then I picked up a 9MM and 45 Long Colt. A few years went by and a friend was getting out of drag racing. I traded him the TC for a Dodge 426 Max Wedge. We just met up again at a dinner. I asked if he still had it? He said yes, never shot it. I asked if he wanted to send it home? He said maybe, we can talk about it later. It has the old wood stocks on it. It’s not like I’m shopping for one, but I’d like to have THAT one back. MD went straight wall so I could hunt the old shotgun counties with it. I haven’t seen it in decades. Saying it’s in the VG condition when we traded, what would be a fair offer on both ends.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I’m stuck in one of those nostalgia pits. Not quite a rabbit hole. Back around 1974 I bought a Contender with a 14” 35 Remington barrel and a 22 RF. Then I picked up a 9MM and 45 Long Colt. A few years went by and a friend was getting out of drag racing. I traded him the TC for a Dodge 426 Max Wedge. We just met up again at a dinner. I asked if he still had it? He said yes, never shot it. I asked if he wanted to send it home? He said maybe, we can talk about it later. It has the old wood stocks on it. It’s not like I’m shopping for one, but I’d like to have THAT one back. MD went straight wall so I could hunt the old shotgun counties with it. I haven’t seen it in decades. Saying it’s in the VG condition when we traded, what would be a fair offer on both ends.

Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Joe these prices that Leon mentioned are close to where you are....Although, your receiver would be a G1 not a G2, and for me not as desirable since the bbls and buttstocks do not fit the G2....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,383
Posts18,488,595
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.