Home
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/13/07
Just wondering if any of you other single shooters have heard any rumors about them doing a 1AB in another cal this year?

Thx

Dober
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/13/07
Memory is foggy, but I thought I heard .250 Savage was next.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/13/07
I'd love a #1A in .308
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/13/07
Dober,

Only Jason (JEC) really knows for sure, but the last I talked to him, he said that .250 savage was on his short list. I really haven't heard of any other viable nominations, either.

I was kind of waiting for Ruger to come out with the .338 Fed. in the 1-A, but with announcment of their new proprietary RCM chamberings, I'd think that would likely preclude the .338 Fed.

After the .250 Sav, Heaven only knows what he might come up with.

The Walnut K1-A has seemed to sell fairly well for them, so one would expect them to continue the series. At least until they use up all the viable chamberings.

I know others who have asked for different options... (i.e. K1-AB or some other chamberings in blued/walnut) but since they have set the precedence, I don't look for that to change. Thus I believe that as long as they do the special run thing, we are stuck with SS/Walnut K1-A

Just idle thoughts from an idle mind....

GH
I had heard a rumor about it being the 280AI, I am thinking I could punch it to 7 Mashburn Super...grins

Dober
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Just wondering if any of you other single shooters have heard any rumors about them doing a 1AB in another cal this year?

Dober,

I just realized you were NOT referencing the K1-A (Stainless/Walnut series), but the blued #1-AB that they made last year in .25-06. Oops! My bad!

AFAIK, that was a special run, one-time deal. Not like the annual series of the K1-A. I can tell you now, that if they made a .280 AI, I'd have one in a heartbeat! Without a doubt! I'd even take it if it wasn't an AI. smile

My apologies for misinterpreting.....

GH
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/13/07
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I just realized you were NOT referencing the K1-A (Stainless/Walnut series), but the blued #1-AB that they made last year in .25-06. Oops! My bad!

Believe I made the same mistake and was asleep @ the wheel when I posted that. Have heard .250 Sav for the K1a SS/walnut, but heven't heard any rumblings for the other.
Posted By: liam Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/13/07
A .250 Savage stainless k1a sounds pretty sweet to me!

Regards,
Liam
Posted By: BlkHawk73 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/13/07
Last I inquired it was in regards to the next K1A and it was pretty much told with out being 100% certain it was to be in .250 Savage. I had inquired about one in .300 H&H and was told that was considered and "on the short list". Wonder how long that short list is...?
Wonder how long that short list is...?

You don't want to know.... Trust me on this: It's longer than you want it to be... grin crazy smile

If indeed the .250 Sav. is the next up, I will definitely have one. (Altho' I have yet to shoot my .35 Whelen, or my 6.5x55... blush )

However, A .300 H&H has a nice ring to it. But I don't think I'd want it with a 22" bbl. Seems to me that if so equipped, would hardly outrun the venerable '06...

Grasshopper
Posted By: SakoAlberta Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/14/07
300 h&h would have to end up in my safe!
Posted By: JEC Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/14/07
We've got some good stuff coming guys. Number 1 fans stay tuned.

Jason

ps The K1A will be in 250 Savage in 08.
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/14/07
Originally Posted by JEC
The K1A will be in 250 Savage in 08.

Is there any way to lock in on one of these now (name on a list or something)? Or is it just a katie bar the door scramble when they hit the shelves? How many will be made? 250?
250 will be made like the past runs. It will be later in the year before these will be available, but I will give the campfire guys a heads up before they come in so you can get your orders in with your dealers.
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/14/07
Originally Posted by JEC
We've got some good stuff coming guys. Number 1 fans stay tuned.

Jason,

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you. smile You are putting the ruination on my retirement account. But you are definitely bolstering my gun collection. smile

Merry Christmas to you, too.... grin grin grin

GH
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/14/07
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Is there any way to lock in on one of these now (name on a list or something)?

Best to find a dealer who is a regular customer of Lipsey's. Give him a deposit and have him tell his salesperson, and likely you be one of the 1st to get one. smile

(I don't believe I just said that!) frown

GH
Grasshopper,

Its tough trying not to buy everything that comes in the door! Merry Christmas to you too!
Posted By: Lee24 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/14/07
Any No. 1 Ruger with more powder than a .250-3000 should wear a 24 inch barrel.

Any classic cartridges, like the .250-3000, .303 Brit, 8x57, should wear iron sights in a 1-A configuration.

If they don't have iron sights, nice walnut and polished blue steel, it is not very traditional, and doesn't interest me. But there are at least 250 people in a nation of 250,000,000 who will buy about any configuration.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
I really like the K1A configuration. The 35 Whelen and 6.5x55 really got my attention. How does someone living in Canada buy one. If a 260 rem were produced I would have to try and get one.
Posted By: SakoAlberta Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
I really like the K1A configuration. The 35 Whelen and 6.5x55 really got my attention. How does someone living in Canada buy one. If a 260 rem were produced I would have to try and get one.

buy it in the US and import. Takes a while but not a tough process.
Posted By: 1B Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
Ruger usually does not make duplicative calibers in the #1, Lusting for a .260 when the 6.5 x55 Swedes are not yet sold out, is like asking for a .243 AI #1 from Ruger. Might work, but it is way down the priority list.

But then, we are talking about only 250 rifles. IF Ruger will make K1A SS/wood rifles in some calibers that compete with their regular offerings -- .243 and .25-06 -- why would they not make limited run #1s in wood $ blue in, say, .300 H&H or 9.3 x 62? I bet you could sell 250 of each of those models by prior subscription/with cash advances.

The special run fixation on smal caliber SS/wood modcels leaves me out. I have a Whelen and love it but have passed on all the others and will do so on the .250 Savage. The 9.3x74R was the only concession toward more substantial caliber interests. It sold well but noone seems to be following up in that caliber range.

1B
Posted By: 65BR Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
90% of the 6.5x55 sold, so they did not do too bad.

If the bbl was a little heavier, I could see my wallet coming out for a 338/06. I would love an RSI in 250, not sure about a K1A for me, will see, but neat round I have yet to own but intend to do so.

I do believe my RSI 243 has been discontinued as the listing I see is 270, 06, and 7x57 and that might be just till their gone. Rumor is they may get dropped, would be a shame, sweet handling, and I know so many love the 57 in it.

You'd think Ruger would do a limited run on certain calibers in #1's. Rem sells the 700 classic, or has, oh well, the mfg. try appealing to the masses, or force consumers to buy what they make, as Ford did when all you could get was a black ford, or a black ford.

The standby calibers are good, but of little interest to me. Ruger has had a seemingly to my mind, STALE choice of calibers and needs to breathe some fresh air by at least OFFERING a few choices to us discriminating shooters. We will see, but I was VERY impressed let me tell you how Ruger was attentive, all reps at the '07 SHOT show had a meeting and were to take notes on ideas heard by attendees. They are listening so don't stop the noise level if there is something you want. Remington, I hate to tell you had LITTLE to NO interest in my opinion and if I go again to the '08 show, I honestly do not expect to even enter their booth!

FWIW 1B, I do believe w/o a doubt I requested a 260, but you can imagine a reluctancy for Ruger to chamber a round that says anything on it, re: their competition! PERHAPS Ruger will mfg. the 6.5mm Creedmore for us, that would be functionally a better round anyway -potential accuracy/brass quality. Perhaps if you keep prodding them, a 'classic round' is on it's way. It only makes sense that you put a falling block design rifle together in rounds that were invented LONG ago also, not the latest Whiz bang fad. Really, why not if a 7x57, the Ruger in 6.5x55 in the #1 long ago, they did 77's. Instead we had 7mm STW, etc. etc. Not my thing. Although I'd hate to be within it's capabilities on the other end of an accurate one! Have to give credit where due.

One more thing, Hawkeyes rec'd a better trigger, so why not the #1 for a change? Ruger went the opposite direction over time. They break clean and consistent, but for precision work, well.......tooooooo heavy.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
A few years ago, I ran across a No. 1-A in .338-06 in a gun store in Cody, WY. After a night of reflecting in the motel, I went back the next morning and bought it. I have no idea who did the work or whose barrel might be on it, but it is a really great elk rifle. So far, I have used light for caliber bullets in it (200 grain BTs and 210 grain Partitions). This is a great cartridge in a No. 1 and Ruger should go ahead and make it a part of their standard offering.
Now that sounds like a nice rig, got any pics?

Thx
Dober
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
I didn't know they still had 6.5x55's by the time can afford to buy one maybe they will still have some left. I also agree that Ruger needs to breathe some new life into the No.1 by adding more options in the lighter weight guns like the 1 A models. Maybe they have noticed how well some of the Lipsey's models have sold and will offer something similar in their regular line up.
Posted By: BlkHawk73 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
'Member folks, if it's only a 250 piece run, anyone could ealistically contract it for production. I've done this on a much smaller scale having a stock manufacturer make a special run of stocks. I simply had to pre-sell them and have the interested parties pre-pay for them. All we gotta do is get 250 ppl to agree on one model at a time (that's the hard part) and contract Ruger, proberly through a distributor) to make a run.
I had a #1B rebarreled with a Krieger .338-06 several years ago. Waiting for Ruger to do it is great sport but, as my Serb friends used to say, a lot lie wind-****ing. I also use the lighter bullets in it. The recoil is mild, accuracy is superb, and it gets all the benefits of a longer, stouter barrel.

1B
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
Originally Posted by BlkHawk73
All we gotta do is get 250 ppl to agree on one model at a time (that's the hard part) and contract Ruger, proberly through a distributor) to make a run.

Indeed that is the hard part. Everyone who wants to have any input into it wants it exactly their way. frown

A: It MUST be blue/walnut!
B: It MUST have 22", 24", 26" bbl, etc!
C: It MUST have/not have iron sights!

Personally, I don't see why so many folks refuse to compromise. I, personally, don't care for iron sights on any rifle, or stainless construction, either. But it didn't stop me from buying the K1-A's in 6.5x55 and .35 Whelen. I've wanted those two calibers in a #1 for so long, I didn't even care what configuration they came in.

I've come to believe that most folks when asked for their input, don't really want a specific rifle, they just want to be able to expound to everyone that will listen, that it was THEIR idea.

I truly believe that if all of us #1 lovers would band together and ask Ruger for a specific caliber every year, we'd likely get it. But too many folks say: "I'd only buy it if it had a 24" barrel", or "I'd only buy it if it had iron sights" ; Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.... Thus, we all lose. frown

I can think of a dozen calibers I'd buy in a #1, irregardless of what model or configuration or barrel length they came in. But I can't think of five other members of this forum that would do the same.

Just idle thoughts from a retired mind.... smile

Grasshopper
Posted By: BlkHawk73 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
You're exactly correct grasshopper. Like my first stock contract I tried a second and it failed miserably simply becasue I couldn't get more than 3 ppl that would agree on a single color/style. LOTS were interested and wanted in on the buy but only if it was exactly as they wanted. There was absolutly NO comprmise.
I'm not exatly fond of stainless and I like iron sights but I'd buy a sightless K#1 if the chambering was right.
If we could indeed gather enough interest for a specif model/configuration, I do think we could do this.
Grasshopper knows his humanoid behavior.

I tried for years to get Ruger to build a #1 in .35 WEhelen including trying to get folks to pony up down payments in advance. Maybe five agreed to do so, despite a Mormon Choir size demand for the rifle.

In the end Ruger built it but, in my view, screwed up with the K1A wood/SS profile. A #1B or an S model would have been ideal. I was really PO'd at that decision. Even though I bought one and actually like it, I still think someday I'll build a full size, wood and blue, .35 Whelen #1 custom rifle exactly to my tastes.

1B
If you ever want to try for a 1-S in .35 again, I'm in. Now we only need another 244 to pay up?
..or even a .338-06 wink
Posted By: Grasshopper Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/15/07
1-B,

I've said it before, but here it is.... "There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who Wish and those who Will" ! I know you well enough to know that you are one who WILL. We could do with a few less wishers around here.... smile

Grasshopper
Posted By: Tim50 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 12/17/07
I've asked Santa for a K1A in 358 Winchester to go with my Whelen!
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 01/01/08
Don't know what it will be, but I think the 1-AH is the berries! Would love to see another in .270, 7x57, or maybe 6.5x55...

John
Posted By: SakoAlberta Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 01/01/08
Has anyone spoken with the folks at Ruger to find out how many pieces would have to be ordered to get a spec run? I see the # 250 mentioned but is that fact?
Posted By: 7X64 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 01/13/08
I'm in on the special order/contracted Ruger #1

How about with a scroll== 24 Hour Campfire Special Edition
Posted By: BlkHawk73 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 01/13/08
Originally Posted by 7X64

How 'bout not whistle Really in these cases, the simpler the better. The key is appealing to a majority and the more details added the fewer have interest.
Posted By: RJM52 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 01/18/08
I bought one of the K1-As in 7.62x39 and it is a fantastic shooter...it is too bad Ruger doesn't bring this caliber out in the regular production not only in the #1-A but 77MKII series as well. All of the 7.62s in the 77MKII series were limited editions that are rarely seen for sale.

Another caliber I would buy in a K1-A would be a .454 Casull. One could plink with pistol bullets and since .454 has taken everything that walks this planet would make a great short to medium range rifle...a .500 S&W would gladly grace my safe also.

Since Bill left the company they actually do LISTEN and RESPOND when you write them a letter. But when you write don't just send them a wish...prove to them WHY your wish would also be purchased by others so Ruger would make a profit off your wish...

Bob
Posted By: 7X64 Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 01/18/08
Originally Posted by BlkHawk73
Originally Posted by 7X64

: Really in these cases, the simpler the better. The key is appealing to a majority and the more details added the fewer have interest.

Yes, in these cases we don't want to make things difficult like adding a small detail like a barrel scroll.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Lipsey's #1 for 08? - 01/19/08
rjm, so how well does the 7.62 shoot?
© 24hourcampfire