Home
Posted By: sirrocco Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/03/11
For those of you that dont frequent AR here are some pics of Aussie gunwriter, Col Allison's newest addition to his cabinet. It's a 300 H&H magnum, with upgraded wood and 90% coverage English sroll. It is now fitted with a new Leica 2.5-10x42 and shoots in the .5" category like every Soroka built to date has. Please note the gap between underlever and trigger guard happened after colour casing and has subsequently been rectified. Apologies for the non correct ammo. I only had 7mm Rem mag on hand when the photographer was available.
Full gallery at www.sorokarifle.com

[Linked Image]
jC_Col Rifle_004 by soroka07, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
jC_Soroka_4957 by soroka07, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
jC_Col Rifle_006 by soroka07, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
jC_Col Rifle_003 by soroka07, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
jC_Soroka_5309 by soroka07, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
jC_Col Rifle_005 by soroka07, on Flickr
Argh ...

My kind of a dream rifle.

Personnaly, I'd add open sights as back-up but that's splendid.

That's High Class of a rifle. Like GV i would add iron but every thing here is top of the top.
Thank you for sharing.

Dom
Posted By: sirrocco Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/03/11
Thanks and you're welcome. Its good to be able to share the fine photography with the world.
We have some rifles fitted with Recknagel, NECG, H&H banded flip over ivory bead front sights with a standing V mounted in the rib. It looks as good as the rest of the rifle.
Cheers
Glenn
Posted By: jim62 Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/03/11
Lets hope the "Saroka Stalkers"- Idaho Sharpshooter and J.D. Steel from over at AR don't follow you over here (for their sakes). The crap they have posted on those threads is pretty shameful.

Folks on this forum don't really cotton to rifle makers getting slammed just because their wares are a bit pricey. wink

Posted By: vaturkey Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/03/11
Now, that is a sweet looking rig. Case coloring, nice engraving, great wood to metal fit and superb Turkish walnut. There's nothing there that needs to be changed. Except (IMO of course). The scope looks a bit oversized for the gun and I too would add iron Express type sights.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/04/11
Beautiful rifle. If you guys aren't clicking on the photos and going to the largest version avail - you're missing some incredible detail.

Superb rifle, and superb photography of same.

Thanks for sharing! Guy
Posted By: GF1 Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/04/11
Gorgeous rifle...what caliber? Looks like it might be a .264, but can't tell for sure.

I hope it sees the game fields soon.
Wow-all I can say. PH
Posted By: DPhillips Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/07/11
Tsquared just posted pics of his Soroka on the Gunwriters forum. His 300 H&H is stunning...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...oka/Search/true/Rifle_Photos#Post5387469
Posted By: sirrocco Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/07/11
Here I can save you the journey. Heres some pics of Tom Turpins rifle. It shoots really well too like all the rifles built so far- .5" with factory ammo seems to be achievable.
Enjoy, Glenn Soroka

[Linked Image]
New Image by soroka07, on Flickr
[Linked Image]
TT-1 by soroka07, on Flickr
[Linked Image]
DSC_0037 by soroka07, on Flickr
Posted By: sirrocco Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/07/11
And while we are posting pics heres another rifle- the one that Ron Spomer reviewed recently in the May / June edition of Sporting Classics. Heres a link to the review for thos interested. http://www.sorokarifle.com/reviews_articles.html. Cheers Glenn Soroka

[Linked Image]
jC_Soroka_5142 by soroka07, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
jC_Soroka_5126 by
soroka07, on Flickr
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/11/11
Stunning work!
Posted By: Ruger1nut Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/11/11
Very Very Nice!

Dave
Posted By: alukban Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 07/12/11

Those sure are some fancy Rugers grin

I am going to speak heresy and say, that in large part, these guns are hand made to look expensive:

[Linked Image]

I would speculate that with your eyes closed it would be hard to tell the difference between shouldering the Soraka and a Ruger No. 1.

I would also speculate that it would be hard for most shooters to shoot the Soraka off hand better than they could shoot a Ruger No. 1 off hand.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/27/15
I'm guessing that either the Saroka or the Martini would be custom to order, and would fit like a glove.

(sigh) Martini, Soroka, or Dakota. decisions, decisions, smile
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/27/15
Originally Posted by alukban

Those sure are some fancy Rugers grin

Yep Rugers can shoot .5 for a lot less mula.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/27/15
Depends on whether or not one adheres to the "form follows function" adage. Why not have a work of art, if one can afford it, that shoots and handles as well as it looks? A Chevy van will get you to your destination with all kinds of efficiency, but would you rather drive it or a Ferrari there.
So what's your POINT ?

sounds to me that somebody put some envy in with the stupid you stir into your morning coffee, mister (small m).

GTC

not surprised at stupidity coming from your general direction, either.
Thank you for putting up these fine pics of some FINE rifles, Sir.

GTC
Posted By: Tejano Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/27/15
Stunning rifles and not only preserving the highest level of craftsmanship but possibly raising the bar.

Unfortunately the leather cartridge case is about as close to owning one as I am likely to get. But if I could I would.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/27/15
Beautiful! Wood looks a little proud, so the wood/metal fit could be improved just slightly. It does take a ton of time and patience though to fit wood if the metal has already been finished. Can't sand things down flush.

Along those lines, the Shiloh folks seem to be the best at wood/metal fit here in the US. Probably helps that they do everything in their own shop and the fitting can be done while metal is still white.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/27/15
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by sillyazzcharlie

not surprised at stupidity coming from your general direction, either.

grin

I own an even dozen Rugers, so I am quite fond of them. Finding ones with nice wood and good barrels makes the chase interesting. I reckon 5 of mine could be called consistent sub-MOA shooters with their preferred loads. I've seen 3-4 more that might meet that criteria.

½ inch with factory ammo? errr...I wouldn't count on that, regardless of how much time or money you spend on it. The relatively large mainspring whacking away under the barrel probably does nothing good for ultimate accuracy.
Posted By: sirrocco Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/27/15
Originally Posted by 1minute
Beautiful! Wood looks a little proud, so the wood/metal fit could be improved just slightly. It does take a ton of time and patience though to fit wood if the metal has already been finished. Can't sand things down flush.

Along those lines, the Shiloh folks seem to be the best at wood/metal fit here in the US. Probably helps that they do everything in their own shop and the fitting can be done while metal is still white.

The wood is left proud intentionally, as the old time English makers did. It is to allow for refinishing in the future. It takes a lot more time to leave the wood proud to a consistent depth all round, than it does to simply sand it down to the metal.
Posted By: sirrocco Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/27/15
Here is an email I received 3 days ago from a customer who just received his rifle. A 7 MM Rem Mag. This was completely un-solicited, and very nice to receive....
Incidently Ron is a tool and die maker so knows a thing or two about steel and tolerances. He also a number of very expensive rifles in his collection.

Glenn
Just an update for your info. Rifle shot in today with no issues. From zero settings on scope, windage, was 2 ½ in. right, and 1 ½ in up for a 2 in high at 100 yard zero. Seven shots in total final group was ¾ in. I guess that the new quarter rib did the job quite well! No doubt that the rifle can shoot, but that the shooter is just an old fart. Sorry about that, going to Colorado on Friday. Third season starts on the 31st. All mule deer ,beware!
A final note for now is that the GLENN SOROKA rifle # 22 is a first class work of art, and all who have seen it are impressed, especially me! I am truly amazed that for all of the starts and stops in the progress of the development of this special rifle it has turned out so very well. Definitely has been worth the wait. I have never seen better metal work, the action quality is beyond expression. It is the finest that I have ever seen, and it works flawlessly. To say that it is a beautiful piece of engineering, is an understatement. Your selection of materials is truly the cutting edge for firearm manufacturing.
Make more, all shooters will be the better for it.
I wish you thank you so very much for all of your input these final few weeks.
Cheers
Ron Hansen
Posted By: akjeff Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/28/15
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
I am going to speak heresy and say, that in large part, these guns are hand made to look expensive:

I'm going to speak my mind and say, that in large part, you are an envious, small minded moron.

[Linked Image]

I would speculate that with your eyes closed it would be hard to tell the difference between shouldering the Soraka and a Ruger No. 1.

I would speculate that you've never shouldered a rifle that you've tailored to your dimensions.

I would also speculate that it would be hard for most shooters to shoot the Soraka off hand better than they could shoot a Ruger No. 1 off hand.

I would also speculate that a rifle like the Soroka, likely has a trigger that breaks far more cleanly than that of a typical sloppy No.1 trigger. If a really good trigger doesn't improve your offhand shooting, more than any shooting position, you probably suck so bad offhand, that nothing is going to improve on your shooting.

Jeff
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/28/15
I am bemused by fatuous comparisons to lower priced rifles.

To compare a Soroka single shot rifle to a Ruger No.1 is like comparing a Holland and Holland Royal to a Merkel.

Yes, both will shoot, but there the similarity ends.

Each to their own but don't damn the better product.

Cheers, Chris
Posted By: AFreeman Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 10/29/15
I find it simply amazing that there inevitably comes people who can't keep their mouth shut out of envy when another person wants to excel at something.

Here you have an artist with an idea and a desire to simply build something to the highest degree a human can. When he succeeds some dumb ass comes along and wants to tear him down and compare his achievement to a pos (and in comparison the Ruger is a pos)
Taken on its own, the Ruger number 1 is a nice rifle. Compared to the Soroka it is, well, they aren't in the same ballpark.

Lol, you want to knock the Soroka, next time you want to take a flight. ...get to the airport don't look for a quality, ingenious, state of the art, high end aircraft to fly in. .....that's not your style. Remember, you don't like when humans want to build something to the best of their ability. ...you like when they build something cheap and quick.

Posted By: rattler Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 11/01/15
awesome pics, i love Farquharson type rifles though books on them is likely as close as I'm going to get....
Posted By: fourbore Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 11/01/15
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

THis is NOT my experience. My Ruger No1, purchased new a year ago is LUCKY to hold 2mao and that is on a good day. I have shot 3 inch groups of 3 at 100. I can outshoot the Ruger with a Miruko 1885, same caliber, iron sights. The Ruger has a scope. I just got a CZ 527 for less money. The cz is another looker and it will hold 1/2 moa, that is 0.5" for FIVE shots at 100, every time. Not a lucky group and go home. Just to say, I am not a hack.

Dont tell me any single shot that will do 1/2 moa is just a fancy Ruger. If there was ever a gun sold based on looks vs performance it is the Ruger No1. To be honest, I only keep my Ruger No1 for its classic good looks. That and someday, I may get it figured out and shooting better. I got a higgs accurizer sitting around here some place to try.

If you cannot afford hi end custom,for a nice looker and shooter then get a Miruko. Even the lowly, H&R single would generally out shoot a No1. But, Remington ran that brand into the dirt and held funeral.

Re: "Made to look expensive"... I have collected and really loved elegant custom rifles for many years. After showing them to many, many others I have come to the following conclusions...

First, you have to be able to tell the difference. I honestly think most people don't recognize art of you hit them in the face with it. They just can't tell the difference.

Secondly, if you do recognize art, it has to mean something to you. You have to care about it enough to be willing to pay for it.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 11/20/15
Originally Posted by fourbore
If there was ever a gun sold based on looks vs performance it is the Ruger No1.

"good barrels heal many sins" was inspired by the Ruger #1 smirk With a quality barrel, they are usually quite unfussy smile
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 11/22/15

Ruger may have copied the Farquharson, with their investment cast, # 1………

but to compare the #1 to the Soroka Farquharson is hysterical, and completely low class.
Posted By: TwentyTwo Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 11/23/15
Sirrocco:

Thank you for posting excellent pictures of the Soroka Farquharson custom built rifles. I've never seen one in the actual wood and metal, so your pictures are a real treat. I hope the proud owners of Soroka Farquharson rifles not only take proper care of their masterpieces, but also take them afield!
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 11/23/15
Amazing work.

Some folks cannot appreciate the artistry, or the superior function, of rifles like these.

That's ok.

I hope enough can appreciate and afford this type of work such that the artists who create them will always have all the work they can handle.

Thanks for sharing!

Tim
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 01/09/16
Originally Posted by Dick_Wright

First, you have to be able to tell the difference. I honestly think most people don't recognize art if you hit them in the face with it. They just can't tell the difference.

Secondly, if you do recognize art, it has to mean something to you. You have to care about it enough to be willing to pay for it.

Now, that about sums it up, brief but to the point.

DF
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 01/13/16
Beautiful wood, incredible metal and detail. If it is a shooter, what more would you want in a rifle? Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to put my Ruger #1 out on the curb for pick up. One nice rifle for sure!
Posted By: sirrocco Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 01/15/16
Thanks for the accolades guys. Yes the rifles are very expensive but they do cost a lot to make and take many hours to finish. They all shoot. With handloads .25" is quite realistic, especially with 300 win mags. You dont need to be a mental giant to see why NATO use it as a sniping round. The last rifle that was delivered was a 7mm mag and it shot half inch groups with 2 different lots of factory ammo with the first shots ever fired. It was then sent to the customer. I will get the web site revised soon and add a bunch of photos of new rifles that aren't posted yet. There are some exquisite pieces that have to new owners. We have started production of a bolt action rifle which will be available in the the new month or two. It will be very similar in outline. a light weight English styled stalking rifle......
Posted By: ScottyO Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 01/16/16
One of the most beautiful Rifles I've ever seen,WOW...And that WOOD!!!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 01/16/16
I agree ScottyO, beautiful work and outstanding in every respect. Well done, Sir, on a magnificent work of art that is functional as well as appealing.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 01/16/16

I prefer the old 7x57 he sold for seven grand, the man has always had a good eye and serious taste in fire-arms.

Added;

Good God, I just reread my post and it appears very ungracious, and as such it behoves me to correct that.

The firearms depicted are very nice and very desirable, and should I ever be in the position to purchase one I shall do so at the drop of a hat.

But I would skin the pope for a chance to own Allison's old 7x57.
Posted By: VonGruff Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 01/16/16
Originally Posted by sirrocco
Thanks for the accolades guys. Yes the rifles are very expensive but they do cost a lot to make and take many hours to finish. They all shoot. With handloads .25" is quite realistic, especially with 300 win mags. You dont need to be a mental giant to see why NATO use it as a sniping round. The last rifle that was delivered was a 7mm mag and it shot half inch groups with 2 different lots of factory ammo with the first shots ever fired. It was then sent to the customer. I will get the web site revised soon and add a bunch of photos of new rifles that aren't posted yet. There are some exquisite pieces that have to new owners. We have started production of a bolt action rifle which will be available in the the new month or two. It will be very similar in outline. a light weight English styled stalking rifle......

If your bolt rifle is as good as your single shot then you will have the two best rifles in production without a doubt. I know that if I won lotto I would have one in a heartbeat. Looking forward to seeing your bolt rifle and periodically drool over your website.
Posted By: RifleDude Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 02/18/16
WOW! The metalwork, style, wood quality, finish quality, and overall workmanship of those rifles are absolutely sublime! I'm a falling block fanatic, and I don't think I've ever seen sexier falling blocks than those! Beautiful! I'm envious!
Posted By: BobWills Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 02/18/16
Quote Dick Wright:
First, you have to be able to tell the difference. I honestly think most people don't recognize art of you hit them in the face with it. They just can't tell the difference.

You hit the nail squarely on the head with that Dick.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 03/10/16
That is absolutely a gorgeous rifle. Those who would cringe at the cost just don't understand what it takes in material and man hours to create something so elegant and functional.

You can get to the store in a Mercedes or a KIA it just depends on how you want to travel. While I can't afford a Mercedes I can do better than a KIA. Not to dispel your excellent craftsmanship but here are a couple of pics of a recently completed project using the Ruger #1 as a platform. Caliber is 7MM-08 with a McGowen 24 inch tapered octagon barrel. It will cloverleaf 3 140gr Sierra Game Kings at 100 yards.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: mmgravy Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 03/11/16
Your No. 1 is stunning....
Posted By: kingston Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 03/11/16
GSP, that is one kick ass looking rifle. What a piece of wood. Almost too pretty to shoot. I say almost, because I have yet to meet one too pretty to shoot or hunt for that matter.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 03/11/16
Thanks for the positive comments. I took a deer with it last fall and will take it west in October providing I draw tags. Whats really nice is the smith that built it is 10 minutes from me.
Posted By: purri Re: Soroka Farquharson pics - 03/13/16
Having 7 falling and tilt block SS rifles (3 Westley Richards 19897 patent, an Alex Henry, 2 Martinis and A Winnie low wall) I'm tempted to sell some and get one of Glen's masterpieces. Very, very tempted!!
© 24hourcampfire