Home
Are there any other options that will work with the factory rail other than Ruger, Warne & Leopold. The Ruger and others a very solid but not much for looks. I like the rifles I have seen milled for Talley's but Talley doesn't do this anymore. Conetrol or S&K are nice but I don't want to replace the rail.
Hard to find and expensive, but if you can locate a set of early Ruger vertically split rings, they are very nice.

Probably the nicest looking, least obtrusive aftermarket rings for a No. 1 quarterrib are/were? made by S&K. They were one piece made of thin flexible steel that wrapped around the scope tube. A call or email to them will tell if they're still available.

Other than that, Conetrol would be my choice.
Thanks, I will contact S&K and Conetrol as they only show the models for the varmint barrel with no rib. Probably would not be that expensive to modify the rib if it is deep enough. If not the Talley route will work.
I have a custom on a #1 action and had the quarter rib milled for Tally QD rings. It worked out nicely and will repeat the procedure on the current build.
I have a custom on a #1 action and had the quarter rib milled for Tally QD rings. It worked out nicely and will repeat the procedure on the current build.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That's a beauty. Do you know if there is enough metal on the factory rib for Talleys?
A bad picture, but just to give you an idea what the Conetrol set-up looks like.

Attached picture Aftermarket stocks 2 (3).JPG
GSPfan, that is a beautiful rifle in a wonderful caliber.
Agreed. That #1 is pretty much perfect, and certainly deserves its own thread with lots of close ups.
when I was in business, I have fitted custom ribs to number ones and then milled it for talley rings. the factory rib is very hard, almost like a spring and I do think there is enough metal at the rear to be able to mill it for talley rings.
Wow, GSPfan, that’s gorgeous. I too would like to see more of that rifle. Just stunning.
Ok here are some more pictures.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]share image online free [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Last year the smith did a 38-55 on a High Wall action for me this year it's another #1 in 300 H&H. I'm hopeless wink
Beautiful

Alaska Arms makes excellent Ruger rings. I have their QD’s on my Ruger #1 in 300 H & H.
Nice rings. I don't really need QD and was looking for vertical split rings like the originals. I am going to mount the Ruger rings and then see if I feel like going for either the Evolution gun works picatinney rail or a custom later. But please keep the ideas coming.
LOL, lucked into a set of Ruger vert splits today wink
GSP Fan - Oh my goodness! What a gorgeous rifle. Thanks so much for sharing the photos.

Guy
I'm glad you liked them. The smith is working on another #1 in 300 H&H and recently completed a Winchester High Wall for me in 38-55 which I think is a nicer rifle than this one.
Wish Ruger did their rib w overhang ring location.
i had some custom picatinny scope rails made for a couple of Ruger #1`s work super for me.
I wish Ruger would come out with some off-set rings for their #1 because getting many modern scopes far enough back on the #1 is a problem.
Not just the typical 5/8 to 3/4 inch offset, but rings made JUST for the #1 that give about 1.5" of offset.

Another thing they could/should do is to make a quarter rib that is just for the #1 and comes all the way back over the top of the receiver, (like the one GPS Fan shows in his pics) so as to give us all more options to set our rings. The ribs they make now fit barrels in their M77 also, but don't give that extra length to the rear that is so helpful on a #1.
I would go with this rail before really long off set mounts. https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings-hd-ruger-no-1-picatinny-scope-mount

The Conetrol rail also goes over the action. On mine the Meopta scope had a long barrel to it so worked fine with the Ruger mounts. I don't like the sort of teeter totter look the long scope has with the short ring spacing but will live with it for now. But I may go with the Evolution picatinny and Talley rings which the single screw version looks similar to the original Ruger vertical split rings. I will see what I think after a season of use first.
© 24hourcampfire