Home
Posted By: gitem_12 last day for ducks - 01/05/22
this Saturday and will be the first real weather we have ahd this season. small ponds and puddles are finally locked with ice, so we are going to turn the ice eater on in a flooded cornfield ring the hole with goose decoys and put a dozen or 2 ducks in the upwind end and see what happens
Posted By: MonkeyWrench Re: last day for ducks - 01/05/22
Best of luck to you!
Posted By: moreammoplz Re: last day for ducks - 01/05/22
I'm heading out this weekend. Hoping the weather helps.
Posted By: pullit Re: last day for ducks - 01/05/22
good luck
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: last day for ducks - 01/06/22
its been terrible. absolutely no birds once the wood ducks left. last saturday it was 62 degrees.
Posted By: Farming Re: last day for ducks - 01/06/22
Sometimes you just got to go to find out. Best of luck.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: last day for ducks - 01/07/22
spent the afternoon with the ice eater opening up a small water hole on the edge of a corn field. going to ring the outside with goose decoys and a sprinkle some mallards in the hole. around 4 tonight I could have killed a man limit of geese that wanted in that hole
Posted By: pullit Re: last day for ducks - 01/08/22
good luck tomorrow
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: last day for ducks - 01/08/22
Saw some mallards, goldeneyes, and mergansers mixed in with the Canada geese down in the lake. Unfortunately, the waterfowl season has been long closed on Lake Superior.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: last day for ducks - 01/09/22
the day sucked. lots of birds travelling upa nd down the river, but nothing would work. had geese over the field that would have been easy trafic work got all of February for Honkers
Posted By: pullit Re: last day for ducks - 01/09/22
hate to hear that,
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: last day for ducks - 01/10/22

Originally Posted by pullit
hate to hear that,

thats how it goes. i would have prefered to hunt the river but its quite high and fast. i was shocked that ducks didnt want into that hole in the corn field. that blew me away
Posted By: pullit Re: last day for ducks - 01/10/22
yeah but I was hoping you would have had a great finish for the year
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: last day for ducks - 01/10/22
Originally Posted by pullit
yeah but I was hoping you would have had a great finish for the year

me too, its been a [bleep] year, and i havent had muchdrive to hunt. just kind of forcing myself to get out there after losing our 17 month old. hoping for a good late goose season
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: last day for ducks - 01/10/22
Me and yellow dog have beat em up pretty good this year. I haven't gone as much as previous years but I feel like every time I do go, we are in double digits and some full limits have happened. The latest cold front and precip put us in another good weekend. Lots of steel shot got flung and lots of ducks got cleaned. Ice is rough on the dog, but it's hard to slow him down. He hasn't moved since he came outta the box this evening.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: last day for ducks - 02/04/22
Dayom. I took a pkg of widgeon fillets out of the freezer about 4 days ago and added some cabernet and Allegro marinade and milk and put them back in the fridge to soak and thaw.

Took them out a bit ago and sliced 1/2 - 3/4 inch wide strips across the grain, washed and drained, wetted with milk and rolled in flour and chicken fried almost a minute per side.

Sweet but most wouldnt like it as it tastes different than venison, chicken, pork or beef.

Unreal dredged in Ranch Dressing.

Made a big batch of duck and chicken cornbread dressing yesterday. Its delish but i messed up and sauteed the fresh chives with the celery, chopped onions instead of mixing them in fresh with the dressing wetted with duck broth from boiling the duck breast filets tender enough to shread before putting it in the oven so no green chives in the dressing dinner. Mixed in a lot of sage and garlic powder before the oven trip and had to add a can of chicken broth to get the dressing wet enough. Poured it over the chicken in one end and duck in the other in the cooking pan.
Im thinking a few finely diced jalapeno in the mix would add some jest.
Posted By: pullit Re: last day for ducks - 02/04/22
We drew a blind in the state draw for the last weekend here in TN. It was a Friday, Sat. Sunday hunt. For the 3 days which were in the 30's for all 3 days and snow sometimes, we killed every duck that was shot at.
That sounds great except it was only a single duck for all 3 days.
© 24hourcampfire