Home
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Newfoundland Bound - 09/09/22
Headed to Newfoundland today. 18 total hunters, 2 camps for the outfitter. 16 driving up, 2 hunters and a tag along flying up. Hunting with Red Indian Lake Outfitters. We've hunted with them in the past, but the camp my group is going to is new to them as of last year. The camp I hunted out of before they sold to someone who played for the Boston Bruins.

Hopefully some full freezers on the return trip. Will make memories no matter what.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/09/22
Wow, that's quite a group! Does everyone have a tag? Caribou, moose? Curious what the fee per hunter is, tagging a moose is a bucket list item for me and I ain't getting any younger! Good luck!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/09/22
The best of luck, and stay safe!
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/09/22
Drive safe gents! Please share a few of your best bog pics!
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/09/22
Originally Posted by tmitch
Wow, that's quite a group! Does everyone have a tag? Caribou, moose? Curious what the fee per hunter is, tagging a moose is a bucket list item for me and I ain't getting any younger! Good luck!

Moose and "stumble on" bear for a few. Tags are guaranteed through Outfitter. We do get a deal from the Outfitter as our overall group sends a group every year of at least 12 hunters and have done so for nearly 10 years. I've hunted with several Newfoundland Outfitters and I like Red Indian. As far as "getting older" my then 78 y/o Dad went 3 years ago. We have a 75 year old gentleman with us this year and a 68 y/o too

Our overall group has gotten Caribou tags 3 times. Ton of money for those.

The "core" group that started all this wes me and 3 of my buddies making a promise to each other in our mid twenties that we would do an out of state hunt every other year. We had to do shorter, cheaper hunts a few years as kids and home purchases came along, but we've kept our promise
Posted By: Biebs Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/09/22
Remember when Caribou hunts were $3,995? I hunted with an outfitter up there who used to get 60 Caribou tags a year. Last time I went, he got 2 that year.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/09/22
Yeah, Caribou has climbed in price immensely since we started going. And I'm told before that they were nearly an add on type tag. Last trip we found 3 dead Caribou our guide claimed were all coyote kills. 2 were fairly fresh and had most of the meat eaten off.
Posted By: 673 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/10/22
Good luck to you and your group, sounds like a great time.
Posted By: TrueAt1stLight Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/20/22
I’m headed there in a few weeks to hunt with the same outfitter! My buddy invited me as he and his dad have hunted with them for going on 6 years. Should be one hell of an experience. Save me a big moose and I’ll gladly send you a case of primers of your choice smile
Posted By: tmitch Re: Newfoundland Bound - 09/23/22
So how did the hunt go? Would love to hear about it, and maybe some pictures too?
Posted By: TrueAt1stLight Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/10/22
Just got back about an hour ago. The hunting was HARD with high winds keeping them in the timber and not coming to the call. I persevered though and ended up shooting a cow mid way through. She was HUGE, likely 850 lbs and had at least an inch of fat everywhere with some areas closer to 5 inches! All in all, a good hunt. My buddy shot a 40” bull and the others from another party in camp shot a few 38-39” bulls. I’ll likely go back in the future. The folks in Newfoundland are some of the most welcoming and gracious I’ve ever met!
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/10/22
Thanks for the report! Congrats on the cow and your adventure!
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/10/22
Took a nice bull moose in Newfoundland last week with 2G outfitters. Great master guide and his wife as the cook. Will be heading back next year for the same hunt, god willing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/10/22
Nice one some good eating there. What caliber is your rifle?
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/10/22
308 win. 165 nosler ballistic tip for the bullet.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/10/22
Congrats on the bull! That should fill your freezer!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/11/22
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Took a nice bull moose in Newfoundland last week with 2G outfitters. Great master guide and his wife as the cook. Will be heading back next year for the same hunt, God willing.

Nice moose ..... I love NFLD. Been there 4x so far, but only once for a moose hunt. The rest was work related. If not for a couple grandkids here, I'd move there.

What part of the island is G2 located?
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/11/22
Hunted the long pond area outside Portland creek.
Posted By: 673 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/11/22
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Took a nice bull moose in Newfoundland last week with 2G outfitters. Great master guide and his wife as the cook. Will be heading back next year for the same hunt, god willing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Perfect size Bull, curious.....how is the meat?
Posted By: abbydog Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/12/22
Going back next year to Conne River Outfitters. Though of a caribou tag until i saw the price. Up 10,000 from last year.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/12/22
👍
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/12/22
I just came back from New Foundland, I killed a Boone and Crockett caribou and a 30" bull moose, 4 hunters all tagged out including a 44 1/2" moose killed by a PA hunter. If I knew how to post pics, I would. Caribou tag was $11,500.

I've heard great things about Red Indian Lake and I talked to Fred at the Harrisburg show, I thought he sold his outfit.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by 673
Perfect size Bull, curious.....how is the meat?
I shot a similar sized bull in NFLD two yrs ago. It was the best moose I'd ever eaten.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/13/22
Congrats on the success, used to go every year up the Alaska Hwy, oldest brother got the biggest one, ours were average, his I think was about 60", very large old bull.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by Sako76
I just came back from New Foundland, I killed a Boone and Crockett caribou and a 30" bull moose, 4 hunters all tagged out including a 44 1/2" moose killed by a PA hunter. If I knew how to post pics, I would. Caribou tag was $11,500.

I've heard great things about Red Indian Lake and I talked to Fred at the Harrisburg show, I thought he sold his outfit.

Fred sold one of his drive in camps to buy another, but is still running 2 drive ins and several fly ins.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Originally Posted by Sako76

Fred sold one of his drive in camps to buy another, but is still running 2 drive ins and several fly ins.

Fred had a video of a moose migration hunt in November, it was incredible. Large numbers of big moose migrating, I would love to do that hunt.
Chumley--how did you and your group do? Did you guys have hot showers and running water? Our Outfitter did not!
We ended up 9 for 18 Total. A few misses. The weather was horrible for hunting. Windy, warm (high 70's). Plus a few guys with limited mobility that limited where they could go (we knew this part going in). Camp was spectacular, 5 separate bathrooms with showers (plenty of hot water). The BEST cook I've ever had for breakfast and dinner at a camp. Wifi in camp to get cell service to check in at home. Satellite TV to wind down in the evenings. I was in Fred's "new" camp with 7 other guys, the other 10 were at the main lodge.

This was were I stayed. https://redindianlake.com/services/valley-brook-lodge/
50% isn't great but I'm envious of your camp! Went a week without my CPAP because the $400 battery would only support an hour or two of use. No Wifi, cell service, running or hot water and little to no heat. Food kind of sucked, I never heard of "bottled moose meat", looks like Alpo dog food and sort of tasted like it😡
I've hunted with Fred and crew several times. I'm certain the weather was a MAJOR factor in our limited success. My guide has been texting me updates weekly. As soon as it cooled off, the numbers jumped.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/14/22
Best of luck on your hunt. Myself, I'd love to just spend 2 weeks in the Newfoundland 'outback'.. even with a storm blowing in off the Atlantic.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/20/22
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Yeah, Caribou has climbed in price immensely since we started going. And I'm told before that they were nearly an add on type tag. Last trip we found 3 dead Caribou our guide claimed were all coyote kills. 2 were fairly fresh and had most of the meat eaten off.

Here's a very nice caribou I saw in NFLD two years ago. No tag. frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Newfoundland Bound - 10/20/22
How in the holy hell did coyotes get on Newfoundland? It sounds like another one of those liberal plans to eliminate hunting.
Posted By: rodeojoe Re: Newfoundland Bound - 11/03/22
I got my Moose itch itched in 2007.
My hunt was only 6 hours. 2 of the hours getting to it after it was spotted with 30 power binos, over a mile away.
I know you should never shoot the first one that early in the hunt but I did anyway.
The next Moose I saw was larger. But mine was on the ground and I was happy.
Loved the trip, Hunt, whole experience. Have fun. Not a fan of Tokala. [Linked Image]We eat Moose for over a year. Never one complaint.

Attached picture resized Moose.jpg
Posted By: rodeojoe Re: Newfoundland Bound - 11/03/22
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
How in the holy hell did coyotes get on Newfoundland? It sounds like another one of those liberal plans to eliminate hunting.

My guide said on an iceberg. A wildlife officer watched the and said it was a natural occurrence, so he let them alone.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Newfoundland Bound - 11/03/22
I was booked to go in 2020, then rolled that over to 2021. I didn't go because of Canada's nazi vax law, but I'd still love to make this happen someday. I understand you need to be careful with picking an outfitter like everywhere else I guess.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Newfoundland Bound - 11/03/22
Hi rodeojoe, congratulations on that awesome moose!

Whoever told you not to shoot the first moose especially one that size, has an interesting perspective, what happens if you do not see another?

Personally, I shoot the first moose I see while moose hunting, I am not a bone collector, so antler size is not a factor for me.

That is a beautiful bull in my estimation, and if I shot it, I would be SUPER HAPPY :o)

Noting beats a Moose Cheeseburger and you have a lot of them to eat with that stud bull!

Cheers ~ Darren
© 24hourcampfire