Home
Posted By: wabigoon PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
I mailed the forms in Aquest, or September, the card has been charged, but no PAL.

Is this normal?
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
No, it is not. Something has happened. I would phone them, Richard.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
wabigoon;
Good afternoon my friend, I hope you and your fine family are well on this first weekend of February.

As Steve's said, that's a bit long and it's likely time to see if you can get through to a human and ask some questions.

On the CCFR forums and another Canadian forum I'm on, it's all over the place now for PAL processing times with some folks getting them in a couple months and some taking more than a year.

Anyone dealing with Revenue Canada will have similar stories to tell, that is to say the service is variable to say the least.

Hope that helped somewhat and best of luck with the PAL.

Dwayne
Posted By: HughW Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I mailed the forms in Aquest, or September, the card has been charged, but no PAL.

Is this normal?

Say you mailed it in September so you are now 4 to 5 months into the process that for many is taking well over a year. My wife’s was 16 months and I know a number of people that were over 12 months.

Then there are the exceptions that get the renewal in less than a month.

So your wait time is not unusual. If you want to go a step further contact the RCMP and the provincial CFO.

There have been a few messages out that the government is changing the card format to make it harder to counterfeit - whether this is the case or not I cannot confirm.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
Hugh;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust the day has been behaving for you folks so far.

On the CCFR Facebook forum one of the members posted a photo of the new card they'd received.

It didn't look that much different to me, but for sure somewhat.

They mentioned it was either a new supplier or a new machine processing the cards now as well.

All the best.

Dwayne
Posted By: HughW Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
Dwayne, good day to you - hope all is well. Yes I saw that post and that card did not look much different than the ones my wife and I were recently given. The one site said there was a holographic image added but I did not see that.

On the renewal time lines my wife and I both have RPAL and our son’s is a PAL. Timelines were 3 weeks, 16 months and 2 weeks. All information was correct in all three with no requests for clarification, additional information or re-submission. We never did get an explanation on the delay for my wife’s and she really got a run around with the RCMP on where they were at in the process.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
Where do I stand with an expired PAL, and the firearms?
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
If you have submitted your renewal, you should be okay. The best thing to do if you have any questions is to phone the CFC. Here are all your options.

Telephone:
1-800-731-4000

Email:
[email protected]

Fax:
613-825-0297

Mail:
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Canadian Firearms Program
Ottawa ON K1A 0R2

If you have registered online with the RCMP and wish to check your PAL status, click here -

https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/chooser-eng.html?ipeReferer=eCFISIWS
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/04/23
Evnin, here's my two cents. Applied in may 22, birthday in oct. 22, done by computer. They received it may 11 along with payment. Nothing??? Called in early oct. informed it was in the last stages???? Dec. 22 called again, in its last stages??? I contacted MMP for my area, never heard squat??? Put all guns, ammo, etc. in someone's home that had a valid PAL figuring I was now a criminal!!! Said person applied one day before me & had their PAL in early oct. Another friends wife applied & had hers two months later. Called Ed Burlew (firearms lawyer) his secratery said he was out of country but took my name & number. Dang, he called back shortly thereafter. I explained everything, he told me to get ahold of Chief firearms officer & see what was up??? Office extension was a recording & you couldn't leave a message. Drove to office to ask ????, no problem, your wife just needs to sign off on it. OH!!! Now what?? Gave them her phone number, they called her at lunch, she answered & was cut off. They never called her back. Drive over again & this time I called her at her lunch hour then handed the phone to officer, everything fine & dandy, WOW!!!!! Hope it's in the mail. I was told by registry office to do it by computer, it would be faster!!! Yea OK. Not sure how my wife was supposed to sign off on a computer??? If there was a square to check off I missed it. Also anyone could check off a square, neighbour, my dog??? Wonder if anyone was ever going to call me or text & let me know about it??? Still don't have it but hope it's in the Mail ???? Got my outdoors card in two weeks??? GOVERNMENT A. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: BC30cal Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/05/23
GWPGUY;
Good evening to you Ontario time, almost getting there out west here, I hope that other than government struggles you're well.

For sure it seems like your experience isn't unique unfortunately.

One of the things I thought of after reading your post and Hugh's was I had a hiccup last time from them in that this time they wanted a scan of my current gun club membership. I did mine online and had neglected to send along a copy, which I'll do along with the photo next time. Now all that said, I've got an RPAL with restricted and 6-12 Prohibs registered to me so that's why they require the proof of club membership. They really shouldn't if it's not an RPAL or even an RPAL with no registered restricted - but who knows.

As mentioned we've been contending with Revenue Canada for almost a year now and while one hand does in fact know what the other is doing, they are only able to say the other hand is wrong, but can't make the changes at their end. Wonderful stuff truly.

Hopefully as some of the branches transition from working at home some of this will again become workable? Let's hope so.

Good luck with the PAL renewal for sure though. Ugh.

Dwayne
Posted By: Raider7 Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/05/23
Going on 4 months wait here, pal just expired apparently because I tried buying some shotgun shells at Lethbridge gun show today and was denied. On a lighter note though our CFO was there talking guns and shooting with people which was really good to see!
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/05/23
Originally Posted by Raider7
Going on 4 months wait here, pal just expired apparently because I tried buying some shotgun shells at Lethbridge gun show today and was denied. On a lighter note though our CFO was there talking guns and shooting with people which was really good to see!

Hi. Have you tried checking your PAL status? It's worth a shot. No pun intended.
Posted By: Raider7 Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/05/23
I haven’t yet but I will now.
Posted By: Johnsclist Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/05/23
Wabigoon, I started the renewal process online in mid October, 2022 (I’m a Canadian living in the USA). I mailed the background check paperwork in late November. Received my new card last week. Hope that helps.

Edit- I think I recall that if you are expired but have applied for renewal you are covered, but I could be wrong on that.
Posted By: HughW Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/05/23
Originally Posted by Johnsclist
Wabigoon, I started the renewal process online in mid October, 2022 (I’m a Canadian living in the USA). I mailed the background check paperwork in late November. Received my new card last week. Hope that helps.

Edit- I think I recall that if you are expired but have applied for renewal you are covered, but I could be wrong on that.

Application in process - PAL expired — they told my wife she could keep her guns in storage just that she could not take them out and use them unless accompanied by someone with a valid PAL.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/06/23
Normal, hardly !

But sadly, this is the new normal, Richard.

Douglas' (standard, not restricted) PAL, took over 12 months to receive, after his credit card was charged.

I thought we talked about this last year ?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/06/23
I'll call after a bit.
Posted By: 673 Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/06/23
I just renewed mine in the fall and it was in my hand in about one month.
I just called, man what a wait time mad
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/06/23
Crazy, isn’t it?
Did you get an answer yet?
No Steve, I should trust in the Lord better.
I think He has a plan for all of this.

When you phoned, did they say something like,

"All of our operators are busy with other clients. Please stay on the line and your call will be answered in sequence. The average wait time is - one hour and ten minutes."

I called a few times and made sure to use my cellphone. I propped it up beside my laptop, turned on some music and surfed the Internets.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/25/23
Today I get back my application, The picture is alright, the kicker is, I'm to attach proff, I passed the safety test. It's been eleven years, and if I had not passed would I have a PAL? mad
Posted By: KillerBee Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/25/23
Hi wabigoo, I hope you are doing well young man :o)

Why would you have to take a test??

Last time I renewed my license I forgot to renew it, so it lapsed. I only found out it lasped when I went to buy shells for the hunting season. You would not believe the BS I had to go through to get it renewed, it took me 6 months to get the new one back!

I have a Possession and Acquisition License.

Thank you ~ KB
It's been ten years since I took, and passed the test. As I said, I would not have a PAL if I had not passed it! All the proof they want is in their computer. crazy
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/25/23
It's been ten years since I took, and passed the test. As I said, I would not have a PAL if I had not passed it! All the proof they want is in their computer. crazy

You need to talk with a human. It's a pain, but it's best to phone on Monday.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/25/23
Well we all know our Brain Dead Governments regulations are COMPLETE

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Thanks All!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/28/23
Tinfoil or not, is this backdoor banning guns?
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/28/23
Tinfoil or not, is this backdoor banning guns?

I just think it's bureaucracy at work. There aren't too many countries in the world whose government employees are efficient. I wish it was not so. It's not the people. It's the procedures that are put in place that they have to follow.

Keep trying to talk with a human.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/28/23
Thanks Steve.
Posted By: norm99 Re: PAL, waiting time? - 02/28/23
mine was almost 18 months , first they rejected my picture , same shirt But my hair was a little different , they chucked my pic about 6 months they finally got hold of me saying i had to belong to a shooting range ,,WHICH i was when i applied but had lapsed by time they screwed around, join the club again and finally got my PAL.

norm
Posted By: Shoot2hunt Re: PAL, waiting time? - 03/05/23
My last renewal took over 6 month, I sent in in May got my actual card in November 22
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: PAL, waiting time? - 03/05/23
Afternoon, sent mine in may 6 just got it feb 26!!!! And that was after two trips over to see the firearms officer to get things in order. He was helpful the registry office not so much. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: KillerBee Re: PAL, waiting time? - 03/05/23
Here is my question, when should we start the application process, 1 year before your PAL is set to expire?

Thanks ~ KB
Posted By: 673 Re: PAL, waiting time? - 03/06/23
I just renewed mine in Sept, took about 6 weeks, I needed it by November.

I always get my picture taken at Pharmacy, 20 bucks, they have all the criteria for the photo and I am hoping there isn't any screw ups.

I'm thinking 6 months previous to expiring is lots of time to apply but, it may not be enough sounds like.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: PAL, waiting time? - 03/06/23
Hi 673, thanks for the info, this time I will not make the same mistake! Just checked mine expires in 2025, so I have lots of time

Have a great evening in beautiful BC ~ KB
© 24hourcampfire