Home
Posted By: CanuckShooter Ignorance of the law? - 08/04/13
I am wondering how Americans coming into Canada study up on some of our crazy laws so they don't end up fined for doing something illegal?? A lot of laws you could come afoul of are not even hunting related...and claiming ignorance of the law is NO excuse in Canada. For example, ride your atv in the ditch alongside the highway in some jurisdictions and you could be heavily fined....
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/04/13
That is a good question, a hard question, but good.
It does seem that people that behave well one place tend to behave most all places. Your point about different laws is well taken.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/04/13
When in doubt, ask someone who knows -- MNR, PD, etc. wink Most of the Outfitters in our area are knowledgable in the Liquor Laws as well as game and fish laws and ATV type stuff.

For Ontario laws, I would be glad to try to answer your questions. Spent 30.5 years in enforcement and now nearly 12 years in prosecutions. I know 'some' of the more frequently abused laws, anyway.
Posted By: senior Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/05/13
When in doubt, ask someone who knows -- MNR, PD, etc.

The only problem with that, especially with our gun laws is even a large number of police officers & MNR don't know the laws themselves! There's a number of cases where officers have demanded a standard long gun be cased & trigger locked when simply being transported! We know it's not required as long as you don't leave your vehicle unattended but try to explain that to a rooky officer fresh from metro-ville wink
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/05/13
Never had a problem with that, but I live in the sticks where most places you can safely discharge a firearm, so. . . . . .
Posted By: wildone Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/05/13
Well since all of hunt us hunting there need to have a guide, some of us ask a lot of dumb questions just to make sure. Then again some don't, you can't help stupid. Thank you for sharing it with me though, I have met some wonderful people while in Canada.
Did you know that if you build a campfire in BC it cannot exceed 18" x 18" ????? AND, if you do and get caught everyone around the fire gets fined several hundred dollars!!!!

Just try to keep your fire 18x18....good luck. At least now you know if your in BC and the fire flared up a bit, run like hell if the CO comes around. ;-)
Posted By: micky Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/07/13
"is not an excuse. And I'm quoting a New York city judge on this one". Ron White
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/07/13
I know in our case, when we go up north we just behave impeccably( seriously) and kind of do all the things ( like seat belt wearing and speed limits and no guns...) that the liberals in the states would like to see us doing...
Posted By: eric123 Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/07/13
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter
Did you know that if you build a campfire in BC it cannot exceed 18" x 18" ????? AND, if you do and get caught everyone around the fire gets fined several hundred dollars!!!!

Just try to keep your fire 18x18....good luck. At least now you know if your in BC and the fire flared up a bit, run like hell if the CO comes around. ;-)

Whoever the DUMB [bleep] is that came up with this.... should be kicked in the nuts crazy
We had the Parks guys come around and leave us a little pamphlet on the proper size of fire..made great fire starter material grin
Posted By: n007 Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/09/13

I live here and didn't know that, I wish you hadn't told me then I could plead ignorance of the law, never had a fire that small. Probably never will.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/10/13
Some laws are like that. Hardly anyone pays any attention , but it's on the books.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Some laws are like that. Hardly anyone pays any attention , but it's on the books.

Not paying attention could get pretty expensive.

""Failure to comply with the new rules will result in a $345 fine. An additional $345 fine will be levied for campfires lit during a ban.""

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/06/24/bc-smaller-campfire-rules.html
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/12/13
I don't believe we are in disagreement. Consider laws on speeding, and passing on yellow lines. Ever see that done?
Fines for those offences can be stiff as well. The consequences might include bodily harm, or death.
Posted By: sixpackman Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/12/13
I don't believe a trigger lock is ever required for non-restricted firearms. Here we go again but I believe non-restricted just need to be unloaded. If unattended then in the trunk, if no trunk - vehicle locked and firearm out of sight. I have also had friends told different things by RCMP at highway stops. I carry the law enforcement guide to the transportation and storage rules in all of my vehicles.
Posted By: n007 Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/12/13

""Failure to comply with the new rules will result in a $345 fine. An additional $345 fine will be levied for campfires lit during a ban.""

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/06/24/bc-smaller-campfire-rules.html

During hunting season in October and November every campfire I have ever been part of or witnessed has exceeded those dimensions, so if they want to bust people and fine them $345 they wouldn't have to go far to find plenty of culprits.
Originally Posted by sixpackman
I don't believe a trigger lock is ever required for non-restricted firearms. Here we go again but I believe non-restricted just need to be unloaded. If unattended then in the trunk, if no trunk - vehicle locked and firearm out of sight. I have also had friends told different things by RCMP at highway stops. I carry the law enforcement guide to the transportation and storage rules in all of my vehicles.

I had a game warden questioning me about why my rifle was in the front of the truck [regular cab w/canopy], he wanted to know why it was up there. sick I told him it was up there because I had over $2000 invested in it, and I chose not to have it bouncing around in the back of the truck. What a bonehead question to ask.
Originally Posted by n007

During hunting season in October and November every campfire I have ever been part of or witnessed has exceeded those dimensions, so if they want to bust people and fine them $345 they wouldn't have to go far to find plenty of culprits.

Thank you Liberal govt.....now we have a province full of law breakers. ;-)
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/13/13
I've been guiding fishermen for more than 40 years on Lake Nipigon.
We have special rules governing this Lake--calling the Ministry of Natural Resources for clarification on any of the regulations is a complete waste of time.

You are stuck with the Man in a $300 uniform and a sidearm who just put $400 worth of gas in a custom built aluminum boat with a 300hp Yamaha on it. If he has the time to fill out the paperwork and the inclination you are going to get a ticket. Live with it.
Posted By: Dingmo Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/13/13
Our fishing group has learned differences in the laws the hard way - a couple of guys were stopped at the border and had their backgrounds checked. Both were denied entry because they had misdemeanor crimes (OWI)on their record. OWI is a felony in Canada and felons are not admitted without jumping through a few hoops. One guy has spent considerable time and money trying to get paperwork cleared so he can come fishing with us again.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/13/13
kkahmann, Would go so far as to say they do, or seem to write the law as they go along?
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/13/13
kkahmann, Would go so far as to say they do, or seem to write the law as they go along?

wabigoon;
Good morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well.

We have a proud and well practiced history of having LEO of various branches do just that in Canada.

Those that believe otherwise would do well to crack a history book or three. In particular, if you enjoy light humour, reading about how the NWMP and the BC Provincial Police would enforce liquor laws during the building of the railway is a great place to start researching.

There were several occasions where the two branches of LE had arrested Constables from the other, mainly over enforcement of who could say what about who could serve booze - and where.

I'm typing this by the way from 10 floors up on Robson St. in downtown Vancouver - having a coffee and watching rush hour unfold.

For a guy who gets twitchy when someone else is hunting on the same mountain as me I'd say I'm doing quite well in that I've not needed any sedation thus far! Ah well, it's still early and I'm bracing for a monorail ride to the largest mall here.

If this does not prove to my lovely wife and youngest daughter that I love them, then nothing will. laugh

All the best to you this week wabigoon.

Dwayne
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/13/13
Originally Posted by BC30cal
[I'm typing this by the way from 10 floors up on Robson St. in downtown Vancouver - having a coffee and watching rush hour unfold.

For a guy who gets twitchy when someone else is hunting on the same mountain as me I'd say I'm doing quite well in that I've not needed any sedation thus far! Ah well, it's still early and I'm bracing for a monorail ride to the largest mall here.

If this does not prove to my lovely wife and youngest daughter that I love them, then nothing will. laugh

Dwayne

!!!! laugh

Posted By: n007 Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/13/13
Hi Dwayne:

I enjoy the view from 10 floors up, I even enjoy the sky train when it is not full with people, but the "mall" no not the "mall" anything but the "mall".

Nic
Originally Posted by Okanagan
[I'm typing this by the way from 10 floors up on Robson St. in downtown Vancouver - having a coffee and watching rush hour unfold.

Dwayne

!!!! laugh

Okanagan;
I waved when we drove through your town sir.

My goodness there's a whole bunch of people here...... you coulda warned me!

Seriously though its a pretty clean and friendly city for the most part and this is our youngest daughter's 16th birthday present/family vacation combination trip.

If I don't make it out of here alive though Okanagan, it's been a pleasure knowing you....... eek wink laugh

Dwayne
Originally Posted by n007
Hi Dwayne:

I enjoy the view from 10 floors up, I even enjoy the sky train when it is not full with people, but the "mall" no not the "mall" anything but the "mall".

Nic

Nic;
Thanks for any good thoughts or prayers you care to send my way man - I know - the mall.........

Ah well, as I said to Okanagan, it's been nice meeting you! laugh

Dwayne
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/13/13
It seems the "Wilds of Canada", is taking on a new meaning.
I'll stay with the rocks, lakes, moose, deer, bear and trees, thank you!
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/13/13

Dwayne

!!!! laugh

Okanagan;
I waved when we drove through your town sir.

My goodness there's a whole bunch of people here...... you coulda warned me!

Seriously though its a pretty clean and friendly city for the most part and this is our youngest daughter's 16th birthday present/family vacation combination trip.

If I don't make it out of here alive though Okanagan, it's been a pleasure knowing you....... eek wink laugh

Dwayne

I'd say stop in for a coffee but know from experience with friends that our town is too close to the City and is a nuisance to stop so soon when heading out. Early tomorrow wife and I are heading south across the line for the weekend, so will be gone likely.

Have a good time. I like to sit on the dock at Granville Island and sip something while people watching. Good place to eat your way through. During the worst 6 months of my blindness and series of eye surgeries, we lived on the 10th floor of a place a block off of Robson. No need to drive, easy public transport to docs and hospital, great view, excellent restaurants. Glad we did it -- for a short while!

Posted By: reelman Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/14/13
Originally Posted by Dingmo
Our fishing group has learned differences in the laws the hard way - a couple of guys were stopped at the border and had their backgrounds checked. Both were denied entry because they had misdemeanor crimes (OWI)on their record. OWI is a felony in Canada and felons are not admitted without jumping through a few hoops. One guy has spent considerable time and money trying to get paperwork cleared so he can come fishing with us again.

This is pretty much common knowledge that people with DWI's are not allowed in. I don't blame them either, if you're irresponsible enough to drink and drive I wouldn't want them in my country either.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/14/13
Reelman--I know a guy--Vietnam Vet-- who blew 1.4 on a breathalizer in 1977--he was fined $300 and lost his privilage to drive for 30 days. He sobered up -worked as an alcoholic counselor at a major treatment facility for 30 years. He ain't allowed in either.
Posted By: reelman Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/14/13
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Reelman--I know a guy--Vietnam Vet-- who blew 1.4 on a breathalizer in 1977--he was fined $300 and lost his privilage to drive for 30 days. He sobered up -worked as an alcoholic counselor at a major treatment facility for 30 years. He ain't allowed in either.

Thankfully he didn't kill someone's kid when he blew a 1.4! Being a Vet has nothing to do with this does it? If this happened in 1977 he can get into Canada now, he just needs to fill out some forms and probably pay a fee. And Canada has recently relaxed the DWI laws for people coming into the country.
Originally Posted by reelman
Originally Posted by kkahmann

Thankfully he didn't kill someone's kid when he blew a 1.4! Being a Vet has nothing to do with this does it? If this happened in 1977 he can get into Canada now, he just needs to fill out some forms and probably pay a fee. And Canada has recently relaxed the DWI laws for people coming into the country.

Canada is so easy going....$$$$ is all it takes and they would let anyone in.
Posted By: Blackbrush Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/20/13
Last fall in BC I received a ticket for having cartridges in my magazine (bolt completely open and safety on) while my gun was leaning against a tire (butt on ground) of the camp's jeep. ..."no loaded weapon may be in contact with a vehicle"... I was and still am not impressed.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/20/13
Blackbrush;
I'm sorry to read that happened to you sir and no, I'd not be impressed either.

Without knowing all the details, I can only guess that perhaps there was some history between the CO and your guide or outfitter that you unknowingly got in between.

That is indeed the letter of the law up here, but I've got to say it's the first time I've heard of anyone being charged with a loaded firearm leaning on a vehicle.

Anyway sir, again I'm sorry that happened to you up here and hope the rest of the hunt went acceptably well for you.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: n007 Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/20/13
Friend of mine was busted by the CO for having a loaded gun, nothing in the chamber, while sitting on the tailgate of locked truck, not his vehichle, waiting for the rest of us to return to the truck.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/20/13
Was told of a fellow who was cited for leaning his magazine loaded rifle against his locked pick-up while he took off his daypack and got his keys out, when he came out of the bush. Therefore I make a conscious point of not allowing a loaded firearm to touch a vehicle, and lie it on the ground, unload it at a distance, etc.

Some BC conservation officers make me wary of all of them, even some fine men I know among them. On two occasions years ago, a CO showed visible frustration and disappointment when my rifle was NOT loaded inside the vehicle. They obviously wanted to bust me rather than find someone in compliance with the law.

So last year when I heard a vehicle stop by mine as I headed back to it through woods in the dusk from still hunting, I stopped inside the woods out of sight and used binoculars to see what was up. It was a CO looking through the windows of my vehicle. I unloaded my rifle and opened the bolt, made sure my license and tags were at hand, tried to think of anything amiss, and walked slowly out to the road. The fellow noted my open bolt as I approached and could see that there were no rounds in the magazine. I tried a friendly hello but he left abruptly with a curt reply.

OTOH, there is one CO who has checked me but been human, courteous and even helpful. That emboldened me to phone him long distance a couple of times to ask about conditions, timing etc. for a hunt. He has been interested in some of my calling and we have swapped info.

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/20/13
Drifting back to laws we are ignorant of, as long as we keep overpaying politicians to keep dreaming up new laws, we just might be ignorant times two.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/21/13
Once upon a time when we were in the outdoors we went out of our way to look up or speak to CO's. No more! Now I am silent to the point of being surly if one of them is asking questions. The majority seem to be looking for a way to trap you into an admission of something (anything) so they can write you up.

A couple of years ago after flying out of the bush from a moose hunt a CO questioned my buddy who had shot a moose. "Where were you sitting" he asked. "On a log" said my buddy. The he asked the CO if he was hoping he would say he had been sitting on the nose of a beached power boat so he could write him up. NO ANSWER!

There may be good ones out there but I avoid talking to them so am unlikely to identify them.

Jim
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/21/13
I have lived and hunted in the same location for 42 years. Have a long association with the OMNR--working in the logging Industry and base camp supply contractor. Seen a lot of CO's come and go. Prior to about 1985 all the CO's were wannabe biologists. They were the most interesting guys in the bush to talk to. You kinda knew they weren't gonna cut you any breaks so you better follow the law.
Most of the new guys are all wannabe swat team members who think everyone is a poacher and treat you like you have already been convicted of drug dealing and child molestastion
What does this undecipherable gibberish mean?

Jim
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/21/13
Jim, I think it means to us all, what it means to you.
Some type of spam. Why, is the question?
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Ignorance of the law? - 08/21/13
It's a CO responding to our criticism. laugh

It's a CO responding to our criticism. laugh

Good one!

Jim

Originally Posted by Blackbrush
Last fall in BC I received a ticket for having cartridges in my magazine (bolt completely open and safety on) while my gun was leaning against a tire (butt on ground) of the camp's jeep. ..."no loaded weapon may be in contact with a vehicle"... I was and still am not impressed.

That is bogus...it was not 'on' or 'in' it was against....you should have disputed it I sure as hell would.
What about dispatching a wounded animal after legal shooting light?? Imagine a massive mule deer wounded and it's 2 hours after sundown when you find him....is it legal to knife him and finish him off?
Posted By: icedog Re: Ignorance of the law? - 11/03/13
I think that once upon a time most COs were interested in outdoor ethics, game management, wildlife and habitat conservation, and the like. Nowadays, any I have come into contact with have been focussed entirely on enforcement. They seem to approach every hunter with the hope of either catching him in some transgression, or tricking him into admitting to some illegal activity, regardless how minor, that he can be cited for.

A few years ago I went with another family member who was drawn for an LEH bison hunt in northern B.C. We stayed at a ranch in the area of the hunt. One of the other hunters there at the time was ticketed ($100+) because he had forgotten his LEH paperwork back in his cabin at the ranch. The fellow had his Bison tag, which you simply cannot get without presenting your LEH paperwork in person to the authorities. He was able to produce the LEH papers later in the day, and thus avoid further penalty, but he did have to pay the original ticket. To show what a fine fella he was, later that day, the CO joined the ranch owner and his guests for their evening meal and end of the day bull session.
Posted By: greydog Re: Ignorance of the law? - 11/07/13
On occasion, a law is so stupid that no rational person would suspect it's existence. At other times, the enforcement of a law is so misguided that it takes us by surprise. This is illustrated by the "rifle leaned against the car" scenarios.
There are many circumstances when the proper answer to a query from a LEO is, "None of your business".
I have not been questioned by a Conservation Officer (game warden) for many years. When I am, I am just as civil as his behaviour warrants.
I have lived on both sides of the border and both sides of the continent. I have travelled across the US numerous times over the last 45 years. There are laws and restrictions in different areas which a person from western Canada would never expect. There are also laws and restrictions here that no resident would expect if he didn't do some research. GD
© 24hourcampfire