Home
Posted By: Owl Digital Powder Scale, Which one ? - 09/24/18
So, I have a couple of digital scales. One a no name brand, and the other is a Frankford arsenal. I quickly found out that the no name was okay for pine wood derby cars, but was less than desirable for powder charges. And as of lately, the Frankford has been finicky.

So, looking for recommendations, and why you recommend that particular scale.
No one ?
I have two scales, an old PACT Digital Precision Powder Scale I bought in the mid-90s and the one which is part of my Chargemaster 1500 Combo---I think it's essentially the RangeMaster 750 scale. It is a far better scale than the old PACT, but I would imagine that the PACT scale must come with much better software than the old ones by now. I guess I might be surprised, too.
RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo, as above.
If you are looking for a scale only I have been pretty impressed by the Hornady version. I have a Pact that cost 4 times as much that doesn't work worth a darn.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/700534/hornady-g2-1500-electronic-powder-scale-1500-grain-capacity
I have the RCBS charge master combo and I really like it. It is easy to set up and use. I have had it for four years and I am glad I bought it. It was recommended to me by someone I worked with that had one and had been using it for some time. The only drawback is that it isn't cheap to buy. I have been handloading for over 20 years and over time upgraded my equipment. I started with a Lee anniversary kit. If you get one I am sure you will love it. Very accurate and consistent. Hope this helps.
I like the Hornady Auto Charge better than any electronic scale I've used.I don't use the auto charge as much as I just use the scale on the unit itself.It's very quick and stable on the weights.
I also like my Hornady Auto Charge. Easy to use, and have not had any issues.
Originally Posted by JSH
If you are looking for a scale only I have been pretty impressed by the Hornady version. I have a Pact that cost 4 times as much that doesn't work worth a darn.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/700534/hornady-g2-1500-electronic-powder-scale-1500-grain-capacity

I’ve used a Pact . Both the gray Pact and the green one made for RCBS. Pact has quit repairing the green scale. But they still repair their gray model. I’ve had these for years and they have been returned for repairs. It’s easy and cheap . Call them and send it in. Hasbeen
RCBS Charge Master.

The combo is a great tool for load work up or it can be used as just a scale for hand measured precision loads.

Likewise, it can be used as just a scale to dial in a powder drop.
I have a charge master set up for loading rifle ammo. I have a Harrell’s measure set up over a rangemaster scale for pistols. Hasbeen

[Linked Image]
RCBS charge master. I like mine a lot. Pretty dam accurate.May through a light charge but just hit the trickle button.
Just finished loading 350 rounds of 223. Double checked and it's spot on.
I have the RCBS Charge Master and it too is finicky. I have to constantly re-zero. maybe I got a dud I finally got fed up and went back to the beam scale.
Originally Posted by Roystu
I have the RCBS Charge Master and it too is finicky. I have to constantly re-zero. maybe I got a dud I finally got fed up and went back to the beam scale.

Could have a lemon. But I’ve heard voltage swings and certain kinds of lights give the Chargemaster problems. Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by Roystu

Could have a lemon. But I’ve heard voltage swings and certain kinds of lights give the Chargemaster problems. Hasbeen

Static electricity can also make them squirrelly. Try wiping it down with a dryer sheet and see if that doesn't help.
I've had other brands over the years but the GemPro 500 has been best by far..

[Linked Image]
I use a chargemaster also.
Was watching YouTube videos and this video gave me a pause.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K4gCV8fLJ9U

I think I need to suffer a McDonalds run to get a straw for the mod and trickle up to my charge.

I also have changed my process. I used to throw all my charges then check each for squibs and then seat all. I now throw charge, seat bullet while the next throw is being made by the chargemaster.

It seems the biggest complaint is the speed that it takes to throw, but I seat bullets about the same speed as the thrower throws. I have not found my press movement to have any effect the chargemaster.
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
I use a chargemaster also.
Was watching YouTube videos and this video gave me a pause.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K4gCV8fLJ9U

I think I need to suffer a McDonalds run to get a straw for the mod and trickle up to my charge.

I also have changed my process. I used to throw all my charges then check each for squibs and then seat all. I now throw charge, seat bullet while the next throw is being made by the chargemaster.

It seems the biggest complaint is the speed that it takes to throw, but I seat bullets about the same speed as the thrower throws. I have not found my press movement to have any effect the chargemaster.

You might give this a try. Made my CM more accurate. Hasbeen
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...ducing-inserts-for-chargemaster.3846088/
I have used a Lyman 1500 for the past 3 or 4 years to load while practicing at the range and also use it to weigh loads at benchrest matches. I have been very pleased with the Lyman. If it was to quit, I would purchase another one. I haven’t seen a need to purchase anything more expensive to weigh accurate powder loads.
RCBS Chargemaster is Legit,Ran mine for 6 years or so now,very accurate.
Go online to Google or Yahoo, type in"DIGITAL SCALE" in the search box and get about umpteen billion hits...EVERY digital scale imaginable....CHEAP....pick out the one(s) that fit your pistol....OH YEAH...and READ the small print. EVERY digital scale has a range of accuracy...many/most reloaders NEVER BOTHER and quickly blame the scale when the scale is doing what it's designed for, that doesn't conform to what the shooter thinks.

I have a MANY D.S.'s from jewelers to analytical...THEY ALL WORK as long as I stay within the accuracy limits as far as what powder amounts and precision in shooting for.

They ALL cost less than the offerings "relating to reloading".

I ALSO use balance beam scales AND check weights to keep on my toes and make sure the accuracy AND precision are within limits.

If you want to know about "SCALES" you need to go to the net and read up on "digital scales"...a reloading forum won't give you that "TRUE" information, just what they "think" is true and what their favorite" toy is.

Good Luck

I got the Pact digital scale and their electronic dispenser from Midway back in the 1997-98 span and they have given me good service. I follow the instructions and use their calibration process exactly as they said, resulting in 20+ years of accurate and fast dispensing and measurement. I presume that sometime in the future there will come a problem, but it appears to have been a good investment.

I do have a couple of very good powder measures that I can trust if I am willing to use a scale for verification, and the cheap Frankford or National Metallic does that chore without the calibration routine. Check weight at 20, tare the pan/funnel and go to work. That is OK for 10 or 15 rounds, but more than 20 means the Pact Team gets a brief workout. Prairie dogs get the benefit of hundreds of rounds of uniformly charged ammo, all with a couple of pushes of buttons.

My hands are not as steady as they uster be.
© 24hourcampfire