Home
Posted By: JeffyD Snare Cable Cutters - 04/24/23
Any recommendations for a compact pair of cable cutters small enough to carry in a vest pocket or game pouch?

Something I hope I'll never need, but I have heard horror stories.

Thank you.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/24/23
I’d be looking at Knipex wire rop cutters.
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/24/23
After our Vizsla got snared and I had to break the snare wire by bending back and forth with my Leatherman until the wire fatigued and broke we went on the same mission. Wife and I each ended up with a pair of Knipex CoBolt S Compact Bolt Cutter model #71011160. We tested them on snare cable and I could easily cut it, My wife has to "two pass" the cut as she doesn't have as much hand strength. And our Vizsla was fine, but she never fought the snare and pulled it super tight. Luckily we had a GPS collar on her as the Lynx snare set was very well set back in the thick stuff and was damn hard to see even up close.
Posted By: blanket Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/24/23
Klein hardend jaw nippers will cut snare cable easily without having to get under itk
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/24/23
Thanks, guys. I'll look into the Knipex cutters

Kurt, glad your Vizsla survived the experience ok.

Jeff
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/24/23
Klein stuff, as mentioned above, is good too. Klein or Knipex, they are both spendy, but I wouldn’t cheap out and get anything else. Both those brands will work above their stated capacity repeatedly. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/24/23
Originally Posted by cra1948
Klein stuff, as mentioned above, is good too. Klein or Knipex, they are both spendy, but I wouldn’t cheap out and get anything else. Both those brands will work above their stated capacity repeatedly. You get what you pay for.

For sure you get what you pay for. Stopped by the local Horrible Freight to see what they might have.
Just couldn't convince myself to buy a cheaply made Chinese product.

Spending money on quality tools is always money well spent. Knipex for the win because it's the most compact of the bunch.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Posted By: EddieSouthgate Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/24/23
High Tension fencing pliers.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/american-farmworks-high-tensile-wire-cutter?cm_vc=-10005
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/25/23
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by cra1948

For sure you get what you pay for. Stopped by the local Horrible Freight to see what they might have.
Just couldn't convince myself to buy a cheaply made Chinese product.

Spending money on quality tools is always money well spent. Knipex for the win because it's the most compact of the bunch.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Harbor Freight is fine for home shop tools.
You don't rely on them in a crisis and if it doesn't work another item may
suffice with some Redneck ingenuity.

If you need to cut a snare a mile from your car, you need the tool to perform.

I'm not sure about snare wire, but I've seen the cable seals ontrucks eat numerous
tools that tried to cut them. Often resorted to a 1" bar and hammer to defeat
them by brute strengthand profanity.
Posted By: erich Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/25/23
Go to a 5rapping supply store and they have cable cutters. You want the ones with just notches in the tip, anything bigger would be hard to get between the skin and the wire. That said you should be able to relax the lock and slide it back on the wire. I never cut the cable when removing them from fox, coyote, raccoon and beaver when I was running traplines.

Minnesota traplines products item#C7
Posted By: Backroads Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/25/23
Park tools cable cutter doubles as a ridiculously overbuilt mountain bike cable cutter.
Posted By: ribka Re: Snare Cable Cutters - 04/28/23
Originally Posted by Kurt52
After our Vizsla got snared and I had to break the snare wire by bending back and forth with my Leatherman until the wire fatigued and broke we went on the same mission. Wife and I each ended up with a pair of Knipex CoBolt S Compact Bolt Cutter model #71011160. We tested them on snare cable and I could easily cut it, My wife has to "two pass" the cut as she doesn't have as much hand strength. And our Vizsla was fine, but she never fought the snare and pulled it super tight. Luckily we had a GPS collar on her as the Lynx snare set was very well set back in the thick stuff and was damn hard to see even up close.

Thats what I carry. And the GPS collars are invaluable. Don't cheap out on essential gear
© 24hourcampfire