Home
I took my German Shorthair, Maggie, out to North Dakota for the first time last November for pheasant hunting. After a couple of days, her feet were cut up a bit and her brisket was raw from the rough brush we were working. Her spirit never faltered but I took her out of the field so she wouldn't get beat up any further.

Next year I want to armor her as much as possible against all the prickly stuff that hurt her last time. I have never put anything more than a collar on a dog before, so would be interested in knowing the ins and outs of dog booties and skid plates. What are the ups and downs, and what would be some good choices to consider? Thanks for any info.
Posted By: fezant Re: Booties and Skid Plates??? - 04/02/12
I put skid plates on both my pointing dogs when we are hunting in tough woody cover, helps protect them from barb wire too, at least on their bellies. And the ones I have are blaze orange on the sides which can be a good thing as well. I think I ordered mine mine from cabelas. Just two layers of fairly heavy cordura under the belly with one layer on the sides and straps over the back, they work well.

I had a devil of a time finding dog boots that I could keep on the dog. Finally found some that were cordura with a double layer on the bottom and two velcroed straps that wrapped around the ankle, can't remember the brand or where I got them. The only place I used them was in southern New Mexico hunting quail, southern New Mexico is just one big rock pile, and a hard working dog would wear the skin off his pads in a couple hours.

An old dog trainer told me to WALK dogs on concrete or asphalt for several days before hunting season. It works, really toughens up their pads, but walk them do not rum em. Hunting upland birds in Montana, South Dakota, and Kansas I haven't had much trouble with sore feet if I toughened them up prior to season. Course there's always cactus and sandburs and goatheads.

Good Luck, Fezant
Posted By: erich Re: Booties and Skid Plates??? - 04/03/12
My wirehair wears the tops of his feet raw(bleeding), tried a bunch of boots, some only lasted 45min before they wore through. Went to vet wrap and duct tape, works like a charm lasts all day and I can cover as much as the leg as needed and they never fall off. With a good bandage siscors they are off in a couple of seconds.

Use quality duct tape not the stuff from Walmart. I buy vet wrap from Jeffers by the dozen. I have colours for what ever mood I'm in that day.
Vet wrap is good stuff.
Posted By: Siggy32 Re: Booties and Skid Plates??? - 04/07/12
In using skid plates watch for fit & friction rubbing around the armpits of your dog. Most are codura & I think a good cycle in washing machine to soften & take the stiffness out of the edge material is a good idea. When you take it out of the package you will feel how stiff they are especially around the edges.

Need to check under them once in a while to make sure sticks & other irritating grass - weeds aren't caught under it & again rubbing on your dog.
© 24hourcampfire