Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I took my German Shorthair, Maggie, out to North Dakota for the first time last November for pheasant hunting. After a couple of days, her feet were cut up a bit and her brisket was raw from the rough brush we were working. Her spirit never faltered but I took her out of the field so she wouldn't get beat up any further.

Next year I want to armor her as much as possible against all the prickly stuff that hurt her last time. I have never put anything more than a collar on a dog before, so would be interested in knowing the ins and outs of dog booties and skid plates. What are the ups and downs, and what would be some good choices to consider? Thanks for any info.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GB1

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I put skid plates on both my pointing dogs when we are hunting in tough woody cover, helps protect them from barb wire too, at least on their bellies. And the ones I have are blaze orange on the sides which can be a good thing as well. I think I ordered mine mine from cabelas. Just two layers of fairly heavy cordura under the belly with one layer on the sides and straps over the back, they work well.

I had a devil of a time finding dog boots that I could keep on the dog. Finally found some that were cordura with a double layer on the bottom and two velcroed straps that wrapped around the ankle, can't remember the brand or where I got them. The only place I used them was in southern New Mexico hunting quail, southern New Mexico is just one big rock pile, and a hard working dog would wear the skin off his pads in a couple hours.

An old dog trainer told me to WALK dogs on concrete or asphalt for several days before hunting season. It works, really toughens up their pads, but walk them do not rum em. Hunting upland birds in Montana, South Dakota, and Kansas I haven't had much trouble with sore feet if I toughened them up prior to season. Course there's always cactus and sandburs and goatheads.

Good Luck, Fezant

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wirehair wears the tops of his feet raw(bleeding), tried a bunch of boots, some only lasted 45min before they wore through. Went to vet wrap and duct tape, works like a charm lasts all day and I can cover as much as the leg as needed and they never fall off. With a good bandage siscors they are off in a couple of seconds.

Use quality duct tape not the stuff from Walmart. I buy vet wrap from Jeffers by the dozen. I have colours for what ever mood I'm in that day.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Vet wrap is good stuff.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In using skid plates watch for fit & friction rubbing around the armpits of your dog. Most are codura & I think a good cycle in washing machine to soften & take the stiffness out of the edge material is a good idea. When you take it out of the package you will feel how stiff they are especially around the edges.

Need to check under them once in a while to make sure sticks & other irritating grass - weeds aren't caught under it & again rubbing on your dog.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (01Foreman400, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,492 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.