Home
Well, I'd like to share some pics with Gunner, as well as some of you guys that like all things pre 64. This one really is a shame because it was re-chambered to a weatherby cartridge. Not that I have anything against weatherby, but when you mess with a good 375 H&H, it's almost like sacrilegious!!!!!!!! I thought I had hit the jackpot when I ran across this one, until I turned it over and saw the "WBY" stamp. Otherwise the rifle is in great condition. Not perfect by any means, but in pretty good condition nonetheless. No one has drilled/tapped the rear bridge and it's a clover leaf tang. The barrel is even stamped with the right date and does not look like its ever been off. The serial # 121xxx. The stock is in decent condition with one chip near the grip. Not really that noticeable, but I zoomed in so you guys could see it. Checkering is nice, as is the original finish and recoil pad. The inside where the barreled action rests, is virgin as can be. Check it out and comment if you want. Thanks and have a wonderful Christmas!!!!:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Overall length on this stock is 32 1/4" long. And no cracks anywhere, that I could find... The rifling and bore look new, as I don't think it was shot too much at all... Chamber looks real clean.
For an all original stock this hard to find, a small chip is not a big deal. Like gunner said, the stock itself is like unobtanium...

More misc. pics:
Great find. Best of luck with it.
Nice rifle L train! I had a 375 weatherby once. Killed an elk with it over in east-north side. I turned around looked at my buddies they look at me just staring and that’s when I felt the blood seeping down my face lol. It was built on a fn supreme action and 99% sure the stock did not help with recoil.. gd that thing was brutal but would it pole axe an elk with 270gr hornady’s.
God dang it BSA! That’s my sorta score right there. I’d have absolutely grabbed that sucker in a heart beat myself. As a pure hunting rifle that thing is prime. Chuck that in a Legend or your pick of a McMillan and go hammer some big animals. Or heck, take it to Africa and enjoy the extra FPS. I dislike when they monkey with P64’s but I don’t turn them down when they are rechambered in something neat.

Great score. Hope you got a great deal on it. Beautiful rifle.
Hell of a stick BSA, I'd have to keep and shoot that beast, what a cool old rifle, I'm talking no notch receiver peep and 300gr SAF's or Partitions! smile Congrats Buddy.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. Great story too John (79s). I can imagine the look on your buddies faces. Ha ha.. Gunner, i think I have a receiver peep sight laying around here somewhere, from one of my other pre's I just bought. It might just have to go on this 375...
Originally Posted by beretzs
God dang it BSA! That’s my sorta score right there. I’d have absolutely grabbed that sucker in a heart beat myself. As a pure hunting rifle that thing is prime. Chuck that in a Legend or your pick of a McMillan and go hammer some big animals. Or heck, take it to Africa and enjoy the extra FPS. I dislike when they monkey with P64’s but I don’t turn them down when they are rechambered in something neat.

Great score. Hope you got a great deal on it. Beautiful rifle.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do with this one Scotty. I like your idea about the mcmillan as well. Gunner also told me that over a phone convo. An echols legend or just about any Mcmillan would work great. I may end up selling this original stock, but I'm undecided as of now....
Darn right Buddy, I run that peep set up on a pre-64 300 H&H booting 220gr partitions out at a leisurely 2750 fps, 300 yard steel is boringly easy.
Now you're talking, McMil or Legend, midnight blue cerakote all steel, you can paint that stock is my nice purple, black and red streaked 'bruise' camo pattern. grin all weather, all game thumper ; ]
Originally Posted by gunner500
Now you're talking, McMil or Legend, midnight blue cerakote all steel, you can paint that stock is my nice purple, black and red streaked 'bruise' camo pattern. grin all weather, all game thumper ; ]

cry grin eek
It’s definitely a darned nice hunting rifle in an awesome cartridge. Might be fun to load up some RL15 and 260 Partitions just to form some cases with. Get a feel for the sights.

I may have a Peep too if you need one.

I’d already have called Darcy for a Legend myself grin
bsa1917hunter - what have you got in mind for that beast? Anything, or just snag a good deal on a nice squirrel gun? wink

Did you clean it up, or was it that clean at purchase?
Looks to be in great shape, bsa. What a find.
Nice find...enjoy!
Nice one!
It’s definitely a darned nice hunting rifle in an awesome cartridge. Might be fun to load up some RL15 and 260 Partitions just to form some cases with. Get a feel for the sights.

Ha ha. I know you would have. Im tempted. How much is he charging for a stock these days?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Ha ha. I know you would have. Im tempted. How much is he charging for a stock these days?

600 the last time I ordered one.
Don't forget some 200 grain Sierra FP bullets loaded lite for grouse loads.
Gorgeous rifle! Heavier barrels notwithstanding they feel so lively and well balanced in your hands. I’d gladly own one. Interesting to know that the forearm screw was still utilized on the heavier barrel contour.

Cast loads in the 375 is great, cheap, fun shooting.

Nice purchase!

Dang, thats not bad Scotty.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Don't forget some 200 grain Sierra FP bullets loaded lite for grouse loads.

Now, i like that idea.
Nice.

I'd sure Steel Bed the recoil lug if I was going to use it.

A Legend is really nice, had one on a .404J I built using a SS 300 RUM donor.

DF

Bottom gun.

Dang, thats not bad Scotty.

They are pretty pricey but for me, on a rifle that’s got some recoil they work really well and it’s worth it for me to pay the piper and know I’ve got what works.

I ordered one of the Bridges stocks for my 7mm WSM. I’m kinda hoping I like it since they are a scaled down version of the Legend to my eye and should be better fits for smaller, Featherweight sorta set ups that aren’t big recoilers.
And DF, that 404 is a sweetheart!
And DF, that 404 is a sweetheart!

Thanks.

I Steel Bedded it in a std. fill Legend. McM, who makes the Legend for D'Arcy Echols, wants big boomers in mag fill. D'Arcy said std fill would work and he was right. He did install cross pins. Those and the Steel Bed assures it's not going anywhere.

In the std. M-70 wood stock, those can have problems with heavy recoiling rifles if you shoot one enough. Steel Bed will just about assure they hold together, don't split or whatever.

The Legend is made for irons and scope, sort of a compromise. I found that I had to really get down on the comb to see the irons. So, IMO, the comb is a tad high for irons, but will work in a pinch. Seems to me about ideal for a low mounted scope. It's a fast handling stock, about as perfect as one could ask for in a M-70. It's D'Arcy's design. McM can't sell it direct. Call him, he's very helpful and loves to talk about guns.

DF
Darn nice rifles there Dirtfarmer!

They are pretty pricey but for me, on a rifle that’s got some recoil they work really well and it’s worth it for me to pay the piper and know I’ve got what works.

I ordered one of the Bridges stocks for my 7mm WSM. I’m kinda hoping I like it since they are a scaled down version of the Legend to my eye and should be better fits for smaller, Featherweight sorta set ups that aren’t big recoilers.

Agreed.
I’m interested in hearing more about your opinion and others as well on the Bridges stock. They look very similar to me as well. The Legend is too big for a featherweight in my opinion. And really comes into it’s own with a fatter tube. #3 or larger for me. But I’m tempted on a standard sporter or magnum factory contour.
Originally Posted by jkinpa
Darn nice rifles there Dirtfarmer!

Thanks, again.

Top one is an AHR custom CZ in 9.3x62 (almost a .375)... wink And, a real shooter. Here are a couple of targets, same load.

I know, I know... three shot groups. But it does give one an idea of the potential. JB's loads really work.

DF

Very nice!!!!

Agreed.
I’m interested in hearing more about your opinion and others as well on the Bridges stock. They look very similar to me as well. The Legend is too big for a featherweight in my opinion. And really comes into it’s own with a fatter tube. #3 or larger for me. But I’m tempted on a standard sporter or magnum factory contour.

From what ive heard, the grip is cramped, as compared to the legend. I have pretty big mitts, so just by looking at one, i dont think it would fit me well. Im wondering what Scotties opinion is regarding that stock, as well.. keep us posted beretz.
Nice grab. I would add a steel receiver sight and call it good. Those older rifles belong with their older stocks imho. The inletting is usually perfect as a skilled human did the final fitting.

If you decide to grab a synthetic stock for hunting, don’t overlook the Supergrade. It really shines with heavier barrels. I have owned two 375’s with this stock, one of which I primarily ran a receiver sight on. It worked well, but the receiver sight would sit on top of the steel warne base, so little taller than usual. Comb height worked well though.
Originally Posted by TomM1
Nice grab. I would add a steel receiver sight and call it good. Those older rifles belong with their older stocks imho. The inletting is usually perfect as a skilled human did the final fitting.

If you decide to grab a synthetic stock for hunting, don’t overlook the Supergrade. It really shines with heavier barrels. I have owned two 375’s with this stock, one of which I primarily ran a receiver sight on. It worked well, but the receiver sight would sit on top of the steel warne base, so little taller than usual. Comb height worked well though.

Good advice on the stock. That was my go to prior to being able to get my mitts on a Legend.

One thing that I’ve noticed, the McMillan and Echols site are stating the 300wm being the largest recommendation for the edge filled stocks. I think that’s changed since my last build. It has been a while, about 10 yrs or so. But I had a 338wm in an edge filled Supergrade and pretty sure it was a 338wm max at the time for the edges. I never had an issue.

Anyone know for sure on this?
I’d go std fill.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I’d go std fill.

DF

Yeah, definitely.
Agreed for your 375
I have a picture of a Legend and Bridges side by side and to me, the Bridges seems like a very open grip, almost stalker'ish sorta open. It'll be awhile till I get mine, but I am looking forward to it.
Keep us posted Scotty.
Keep us posted Scotty.

Sure will. Have a Sako Classic EDGE fill coming for my Tikka 270. I’d like to get that one into the ball game some more.

Plus I have a couple builds I’d like to get done up this year as well. Should be fun.

BSA, you need to speak with Gunner about a Mashburn. You don’t know all the fun you’re missing out on grin
Keep us posted Scotty.

Sure will. Have a Sako Classic EDGE fill coming for my Tikka 270. I’d like to get that one into the ball game some more.

Plus I have a couple builds I’d like to get done up this year as well. Should be fun.

BSA, you need to speak with Gunner about a Mashburn. You don’t know all the fun you’re missing out on grin

Why not just have a 7mm STW made?
Originally Posted by 79S
Keep us posted Scotty.

You definitely could, the Mashburn works better through a Winchester 3.6” action with today’s long Bullets than an STW. Some don’t care but being able to get near the lands and have some flexibility meant more to me than sheer case size. Now, put the STW on a 3.8 magazine and it’s definitely better as far as speed. I’m a Winchester nut for the most part so the Mashburn works better in a 3.6 magazine.
I have a picture of a Legend and Bridges side by side and to me, the Bridges seems like a very open grip, almost stalker'ish sorta open. It'll be awhile till I get mine, but I am looking forward to it.

Would you mind posting that picture? Or I can send you my email or text number. I'd like to see the two side by side.

I have rifles in Legend stocks, and will have a Bridges stock in a few months. No personal experience with the Bridges as of yet.
Originally Posted by 79S
Keep us posted Scotty.

You definitely could, the Mashburn works better through a Winchester 3.6” action with today’s long Bullets than an STW. Some don’t care but being able to get near the lands and have some flexibility meant more to me than sheer case size. Now, put the STW on a 3.8 magazine and it’s definitely better as far as speed. I’m a Winchester nut for the most part so the Mashburn works better in a 3.6 magazine.

I know Winchester did a run of 7 STW on the classics using the express action they used on 375 H&H and 300 weatherby. So that action should work out great?
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Keep us posted Scotty.

I know Winchester did a run of 7 STW on the classics using the express action they used on 375 H&H and 300 weatherby. So that action should work out great?

It’s not that it doesn’t work but it puts it in the same boat as a 300 Weatherby and leaves you zero flexibility with bullets. You basically seat them at mag length and you get a little bit of ability to seat them deeper but most of the 200 grain Bullets are already seated so deep to fit in the magazine it’s a SOB. Same as a 300 RUM in a 70. Had a 300 WBY, RUM and the Mashburn now and I’ll take the 300 Win case length with a throat set up for the bullets I’ll mostly use.

My 375 is about the same way, great thing about the 375 is it is a great shooter with everything and doesn’t care much about how most Bullets are seated, it just stacks them.

Would you mind posting that picture? Or I can send you my email or text number. I'd like to see the two side by side.

I have rifles in Legend stocks, and will have a Bridges stock in a few months. No personal experience with the Bridges as of yet.

Sent you a PM.
Exactly right B, COL's for my 7mm Mashburn and 300 Win Mags run 3.585" and 3.600" in that order, keep those long wind bucking bullets out of the damn powder column ; ]
Exactly right B, COL's for my 7mm Mashburn and 300 Win Mags run 3.585" and 3.600" in that order, keep those long wind bucking bullets out of the damn powder column ; ]

Exactly Gunner. Love that big STW case but in a Winchester with today’s Bullets it doesn’t work real well, for me. Same for the 300 Wby/RUM on the 3.6”. Awesome cartridges but they need some room.
You bet Friend. cool
Originally Posted by 79S

They did, that...……………

Have both the STW and the .300 Roy. The STW has been gone through and is VERY accurate with the factory barrel. Fast as hell, too !!! The .300 is just sitting...…...waiting to be turned into something else,

As for the guest of honor in this thread...………….. I'd be proud as a peacock to own such a fine rifle in such a versatile chambering !!!
I used to have a 375 Weatherby done by Al Biesen set up for foul weather hunting-also an early Model 70.
Keep in mind you can shoot the standard 375 H&H cartridges in the WBY and only lose 100 FPS. Mine still
remained accurate no matter which cartridge shot. Like many of PO Ackleys Improved cartridges.
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
I used to have a 375 Weatherby done by Al Biesen set up for foul weather hunting-also an early Model 70.
Keep in mind you can shoot the standard 375 H&H cartridges in the WBY and only lose 100 FPS. Mine still
remained accurate no matter which cartridge shot. Like many of PO Ackleys Improved cartridges.

I've heard that. I know where some new 375H&H brass is. No one buys it because no one uses such a large cartridge for hunting around here. If it's true that I can shoot 375H&H in the WBY chamber, I might just give that a try, to fireform to WBY. If I do that, how many loadings should I expect to get from good brass? 4? Thanks with all the help on this one guys... I look forward to shooting it and doing some accuracy testing on this one. Even though I won't be glass bedding the original stock. I'm thinking the stock may be worth something to someone looking for an original?
You most certainly can shoot factory 375 H&H in a 375 Weatherby or 375 Super (H&H Improved) etc as they all headspace of the belt and it is the same belt. I had both calibers and also a few plain 375 H&H. I never got more than 4 reloads out of any ever, but I did not resize off of the shoulder, which is supposed to greatly improve belted magnum case life. Accuracy has always been fantastic with Winchester 375 H&H barrels even wildcatted shooting factories. Also I could usually approach if not equal improved velocities in standard H&H's. I was always a fan of IMR 4064 in in the 375 H&H and variants. 260 grain Nosler Partitions or just about any 300 grain bullet I tried.
I always headspaced off the shoulder with my .375H&H’s, it was not a problem to get 5 reloads out of cases. Everyone did good with RL15 and the 260 Partition. For 300’s, H4350 was tough to beat. The Speer 235 bullet is a good one for practice.
Thanks guys, I knew where some new brass was locally and snagged it. I've loaded 260 gr Nosler partitions in my old 375H&H, and I think I still have some of those laying around somewhere. I appreciate the suggestions and advice given. Thanks...
I use 260 Partitions or 250 Sierra’s over a mound of 15 to form cases. Runs about 2700 or so and they are accurate as heck BSA.

I don’t see any problem with case life with careful sizing.
BSA and Beretzs, I have an old G series 375 AI, were all going have to drag that artillery out and go smoke some elk some year! smile
I use 260 Partitions or 250 Sierra’s over a mound of 15 to form cases. Runs about 2700 or so and they are accurate as heck BSA.

I don’t see any problem with case life with careful sizing.

Thanks scotty.
BSA and Beretzs, I have an old G series 375 AI, were all going have to drag that artillery out and go smoke some elk some year! smile

That would be cool as hell buddy. Scotty has a good friend that lives 20 miles from me. He comes out this way for elk hunting. I imagine if the 3 of us got together, it would be one hell of an elk hunting trip!! Id be game!!
Don’t overlook H414 with 270’s..
Originally Posted by 79S
Don’t overlook H414 with 270’s..

ok, I have some 270's... I'll look into that.. but since I have some RL15, that is probably what I'll use first. I know the 375 I sold to Gunner loved the stuff.....

That would be cool as hell buddy. Scotty has a good friend that lives 20 miles from me. He comes out this way for elk hunting. I imagine if the 3 of us got together, it would be one hell of an elk hunting trip!! Id be game!!

Yessir, hell of a deal it would be, my AI being a modern G series M-70 action rifle fires 270gr TSX's at 3K, should drill right through a bull. smile

Yessir, hell of a deal it would be, my AI being a modern G series M-70 action rifle fires 270gr TSX's at 3K, should drill right through a bull. smile

Yeah..... no bull would walk away from that. I’m using 250 TTSXs at 2900 and feel like there ain’t nothing I couldn’t hunt and it shoots pretty danged flat in my opinion. Lines right up with the dotz!
Nice one BSA, I've got a set of RCBS 375 Weatherby dies and some 375 fire formed brass I'd sell. MB

Yeah..... no bull would walk away from that. I’m using 250 TTSXs at 2900 and feel like there ain’t nothing I couldn’t hunt and it shoots pretty danged flat in my opinion. Lines right up with the dotz!

NICE! I just have an old 2.5-8 in QD's on mine, it'll reach 400 though.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nice one BSA, I've got a set of RCBS 375 Weatherby dies and some 375 fire formed brass I'd sell. MB

Thanks for the offer buddy. I recently found some new brass and when I was in Reno, I picked up a reloading die set for $30.00.... I'm pretty good for now, but thanks.

Hell yes, the 375 I sold you, would work very well too. You know I went to the small town gunshop where Scotty's buddy lives and ended up buying that new brass. Its Hornady, but it should work very well. I'll have to fireform it. Its funny because I want to take the rifle out and shoot it, but other things get in the way. The girlfriend brought me her plate stand and said, here make some of these, so I did:

Pretty cool that only a couple hours of work, after work will provide years of fun at the range. I passed by the new Hornady brass sitting on my bench, still in the plastic, after I took these pics today blush . Last weekend, we shot my AR's, pistols and my new 22lr target rifle. Need to teach her to shoot irons.... That's how most of us learned isn't it buddy......
Nice, and damn right, you'll have fun banging steel with that chick, I'm betting the old standard 375 H&H you sold me would pass my AI at extended ranges, the 300gr partition leaving at 2680 fly really well and hit damn hard on my 500 yard steel.

I hope you still have that old McMil syn stock, you can put it on your new rifle. smile was hoping to hear you were already burning powder with that new rig.

Hell yes, the 375 I sold you, would work very well too. You know I went to the small town gunshop where Scotty's buddy lives and ended up buying that new brass. Its Hornady, but it should work very well. I'll have to fireform it. Its funny because I want to take the rifle out and shoot it, but other things get in the way. The girlfriend brought me her plate stand and said, here make some of these, so I did:

Pretty cool that only a couple hours of work, after work will provide years of fun at the range. I passed by the new Hornady brass sitting on my bench, still in the plastic, after I took these pics today blush . Last weekend, we shot my AR's, pistols and my new 22lr target rifle. Need to teach her to shoot irons.... That's how most of us learned isn't it buddy......

Damn buddy you end up getting divorced? That sucks but sometimes it’s for the best I suppose..
Nice, and damn right, you'll have fun banging steel with that chick, I'm betting the old standard 375 H&H you sold me would pass my AI at extended ranges, the 300gr partition leaving at 2680 fly really well and hit damn hard on my 500 yard steel.

I hope you still have that old McMil syn stock, you can put it on your new rifle. smile was hoping to hear you were already burning powder with that new rig.

grin blush

Man, I wish I still had that stock. That was a good one:

How long is that barrel ? Seems like you could Whack’em in the head with that thing when you are pulling it up to shoulder it. smile
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

How long is that barrel ? Seems like you could Whack’em in the head with that thing when you are pulling it up to shoulder it. smile

Factory 25" tube...
Can’t wait till you start forming up some brass. I can’t wait to get back on the range with mine. Had to have some dies made up and I moved in Sept so I’m still catching up since hunting season just ended.

You’ll have a blast with it though. 375 Wby should be a MONSTER.

grin blush

There's that old bruise painted handle! smile

grin blush

There's that old bruise painted handle! smile

That was a good mcmillan oldstyle coyote bomber swirly... Actually quite popular color scheme with some of the guys quite a while ago... If I were to buy a new one, I'd go with a brown texture painted one with red pad. That color scheme just looks good on these old rifles..
© 24hourcampfire