Home
Not a BBF, a true SXS combo??
Have looked at a couple at gun shows, "guild guns" I guess, no makers names, and seller knew nothing about them. One was real sweet, 16x 25/35. With my limited knowledge I would need to buy from a trusted seller/dealer. Not high on my list as I have two drillings to play with, but always curious.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Anyone Hunt With a Cape Gun? - 09/07/22
I wish! I had one at one time which came from my mom's dad but my father made me sell it. I was 13-14, something like that. Not much I could do about the situation.

It was a damned nice gun. Built between 1908 and 1910 so far as I could tell. 12 gauge x .30-40 krag, SxS config, 30 inch barrels, peep sight for the .30-40 barrel. I never could figure out quite who made it but the proof markings and small amount of stamped letters suggested Austria.

Tom
Posted By: erich Re: Anyone Hunt With a Cape Gun? - 09/07/22
Does a combo gun with a "Gangster Twist" count?
Posted By: MikeS Re: Anyone Hunt With a Cape Gun? - 09/07/22
Have one that I am working on getting up and running. Wife's family heirloom.

20 gauge 2-1/2" X 9.3x72R, Have 9.3 cases but dies and 2-1/2" shotshells are hard to find right now...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: erich Re: Anyone Hunt With a Cape Gun? - 09/08/22
Your cape gun looks great, nice combo for the northwoods 20ga/9.3x72R

A Mec 600 is easy to change over to 2 1/2" or you can us cut down new primed hulls and roll crimp them, no press needed.

A mec with the 2 1/2" plate, the black plate on the left side.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Roll crimping set up
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: MikeS Re: Anyone Hunt With a Cape Gun? - 09/08/22
Thanks for the ideas. Wishing I hadn't sold my MEC sizemaster press a ways back. Still have quite a few components though, may need to locate a 600.
Grab some low velocity 20 gauge target loads and go have fun. You might find a 20 gauge long forcing cone reamer and make a long taper.
...also...

If you can find some Trail Boss powder and 95gr Makarov .365 diameter bullets it makes for a funashell light 9,3X72R round. I just fill the cases with 14 grains of the Trail Boss and top it with the little Makarov pill.

I DON"T RECOMMEND ANYONE USE THIS DATA! WORK UP YOUR OWN.
I've hunted with this Sauer cape gun two-barrel set for years. It's 12/12 and 12/8X57JR.

I shot a Steenbok and warthog with it in 2000 and countless chuckar and grouse with the 12 SXS barrels. I might be buried with this gun.

I blundered onto it at the old Big Reno Show at a price I couldn't pass up and was just lukewarm about my purchase. That all changed when I went five for five on ruffed grouse up in the Yaak that fall.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: MikeS Re: Anyone Hunt With a Cape Gun? - 09/08/22
Thanks for the tips. I had thought about the Makarov bullets for plinkers, but couldn't even source those the last time I looked.

My friend who fixed the cracked wrist on this stock thought that 2 3/4" clay loads would be fine, but I'm a little leery as the barrel walls are pretty light. The gun was originally proofed for black powder and re-proofed for smokeless and copper bullets in 1920.

The rib on this Buchseflinte has widened rib sections and a side notch for a scope mount and are not like the AKAH claw mounts I am familiar with. Do the rings on yours mount like this? Hard to tell from the pictures.

[Linked Image]

Thanks again for the info and love the Llewellins, makes me miss mine.
That is probably a proprietary mount, particular to the gunmaker. It looks like a fine design, IMO, but I doubt you'll find anything close to it. Measure the width and see if it could be adapted to accept SAKO front rings. A small stud could be installed in the rear ringset, like in the much smaller width SAKO rear ring.

I'll bet it would work. How wide is the rib? About 5/8" to 3/4" might work. The bases would need the proper taper.

Here is a picture of the SAKO rings.

Posted By: MikeS Re: Anyone Hunt With a Cape Gun? - 09/09/22
Interesting, one of my shooting buddies is very handy with his mill... I'll need to do some measuring.
I could send you one of my rear bases for you to try, see if it would be adaptable. wink I might have a base with boogered rings here somewhere, also. It has the same base clamp arrangement. I'll look around.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Anyone Hunt With a Cape Gun? - 09/10/22
Thanks for the offer. Your replies have me thinking. I am going to dig up a set of rings I have buried somewhere that are for the dovetail on top of a Kelbly's Panda action. I think it may be a relatively simple solution (with modification) that is narrow enough to clear the tops of barrels on either side.

Was out shooting a 500 yard match this morning, but time for some measuring!
I had a 8x57jr X 16 gage, open sight s hunted with it one deer season. Shot a big button buck near the end of the season with it. At about 60 yrds, thought it was a doe!
© 24hourcampfire