Home
Posted By: kenacp Solar Power Elect. Fence - 03/31/20
I am looking for input on purchasing a solar powered elect fence for my garden. It is 65' x 65'. I have it fenced with a 8'tall deer proof fence. I need to stop the rabbits and coons from getting in. Plan on putting at least two rows of wire ,maybe 4" and 10" off the ground. Any suggestions on what to get?
Thanks
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Solar Power Elect. Fence - 03/31/20
I have 2 of them, both cheap models that I use for temporary fencing. One is a Patriot, and from my experience and from what I've been told, it's not worth much. I won't buy another one like it.

I also have an older Zabera brand that I've had for years. I've replaced several batteries in it, and it keeps on working. It's not real hot, but then I believe that if I grounded it good, it would be better.

As with anything else, you get what you pay for. Solar powered fences are no different. Buy once, cry once.
We've run a Premier1 system for poultry for a decade without a hitch. Curled the hair on a few screaming 'yotes at 3am when wet nose touched the fencing mesh. Go to their website and oggle the following then give them a call for any assistance:

Energizer Support Box (to hold Energizer, Costco 12V car battery and solar panel/Bracket. Screw 4-vinyl bumper feet on the bottom support rails.)
Solar Panel Brackets (to mount panel on top of Box)
3-foot Ground Rod (ground not good, zap not good!)
10W Solar Panel (or whatever you need for your energizer)
Energizer (0.5 - 1.0 joule should be more than adequate)

You'll also need a solar/photovoltaic charge controller between the panel and battery/batteries to keep the panel output from boiling the battery on bright, sunny days. I mounted a Flexcharge controller inside the Box so both it and the wiring aren't exposed to the sun. This will *greatly* extend battery life. Call Solarseller.com to get the correct size for your use.

A tad pricey? Sure, but it has been rock solid for a decade. The nice thing about this setup is that after the garden is mulched for the fall/winter, you can also use it to keep your idled mower/tractor 12V battery topped up during the winter when it's not being used much. Solar battery tender! Just point it south in a window or outside and run some lamp wire with clamps from the controller to your rig or put the battery nearby to keep both batteries (garden use and tractor) juiced up....
Originally Posted by kenacp
I am looking for input on purchasing a solar powered elect fence for my garden. It is 65' x 65'. I have it fenced with a 8'tall deer proof fence. I need to stop the rabbits and coons from getting in. Plan on putting at least two rows of wire ,maybe 4" and 10" off the ground. Any suggestions on what to get?
Thanks
Where did you get the 8’ fence. Care to share a picture or two?
Posted By: kenacp Re: Solar Power Elect. Fence - 04/11/20
I'll get some pictures on Tuesday or Wednesday. A guy in Louisiana fenced in his 640ac with this 8' fence. The Dept of Wildlife made him take it down. He was selling on Craig's list 300'/$75 and 10' tposts for like $4 ea.
I'll get some pictures on Tuesday or Wednesday. A guy in Louisiana fenced in his 640ac with this 8' fence. The Dept of Wildlife made him take it down. He was selling on Craig's list 300'/$75 and 10' tposts for like $4 ea.

That’s a steal!! I can’t even find 10’ t posts around here. 8’ fence isn’t carried either here.

I'd take some of that!
Posted By: kenacp Re: Solar Power Elect. Fence - 04/12/20
Wish I had bought more.300' was rolled up about 4' and pretty heavy. Loaded in my trailer with a front end loader.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Solar Power Elect. Fence - 04/13/20
I bought a solar fencer on a Black Friday sale, it's still in the box.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Solar Power Elect. Fence - 04/14/20
I've had one of these for over 20 years. Some years it was in storage as we moved around. But, even after coming out of storage and needing a new battery it fired right up. Have used it to keep bears away from beehive and deer out of the garden.

Have had "naive" deer get in it, but after their first experience they don't usually come back. One buck wore a few strands of the braided wire on his antlers for a few weeks before he got them off............but he didn't eat any more of my garden.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWZB74?tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Good luck with it
© 24hourcampfire