Home
Posted By: longarm What line do you use? - 02/24/22
For light spin fishing, spinners and spoons almost exclusively.
I've been using mono for decades, haven't tried flouro. I usually use #4-6 test.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: What line do you use? - 02/25/22
For my light spinning rigs I use 2-8# Trilene XL, depending on the rod and what I'm throwing with it.

Trilene MicroIce 2-6# goes on my ice fishing rigs, which all have spinning reels.
Posted By: K1500 Re: What line do you use? - 02/25/22
Another vote for Trilene XL. For bass fishing with 10-12 pound I use Yozuri Hybrid, which is way stronger than the rating on the label.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: What line do you use? - 02/25/22
Sufix 832 braid, with a barrel swivel and a 18" to 24" Floro leeder.
Posted By: woodson Re: What line do you use? - 02/25/22
Sufix 832
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: What line do you use? - 02/25/22
8lb Power Pro braid on everything to 8lb flouro leader, via 12" double & bimini twist.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: What line do you use? - 02/26/22
Yo Zuri Hybrid in various weights for everything.
Posted By: afisher Re: What line do you use? - 02/26/22
Seaguar inviz x for several years now but I did spool a spinning reel the other day with 15lb diawa braid to see what the fuss is all about. 8lb inviz x leader attached via FG knot.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: What line do you use? - 02/26/22
I am a big fan of Gamma line. After catching an 8lb trout on 4lb line I was a believer. My brother caught a 29 inch channel cat on 6 or 8lb Gamma.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: What line do you use? - 02/26/22
I’m cheap when it comes to line.

Last year Ollie’s discount store had Cajun Red for $3.99 spool.
I have been using Berkley "Ultra Carrier" braid since last year, very smooth coming off the reel spool adding casting distance, always use a GT knot with Berkley "Vanish" as a leader.

For standard mono, Berkley XT in clear has never failed me.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What line do you use? - 02/26/22
"How YOU doin'?"
Originally Posted by 5sdad
"How YOU doin'?"

If I said you had a nice body, would you hold it against me?
Posted By: Azshooter Re: What line do you use? - 02/26/22
I used to use mono going back to stren way back to the early 60s. Then fireline came along. I found I didn't loose as many lures, didn't have line twist and memory issues and due to its smaller diameter throws further.

I see many use some sort of mono or fluorocarbon leader with a braid. I guess I am old and lazy as I don't bother with a leader. I just tie the fireline directly to the lure. I use the smoke color. Guess our bass water is dingy enough that a leader wouldn't make a difference.

I just edited this post as I realized Berkley no longer makes fireline! I see it is still available on a few sites. Will be getting another 1500 yd spool then worry about what line is next in a few years.....

I have evolved into using 6lb exclusively except for one baitcaster. I have been an ultralight fan most of my adult life. I find that using light rod/reel combinations and small lures catches me lots of fish and there is less fatigue handling this light equipment.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

This is an average sized largemouth. No need for heavy line or tackle
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Posted By: longarm Re: What line do you use? - 02/26/22
Thanks gents.
I ended up ordering two types of 4 pound line. Will spool them both up and take both spools fishing, trading off between them.
Maxima Ultragreen, my usual go-to line, and Pline CX Premium, which is a flouro coated copolymer. Also bout some KV Line and Lure Conditioner, which I've never tried.
We'll see..
Posted By: Azshooter Re: What line do you use? - 02/27/22
Thanks for the line and lure conditioner tip Longarm!
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: What line do you use? - 02/27/22
Four pound yellow stren on my ultra light
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What line do you use? - 02/27/22
Braided, up to 50 pound.
Posted By: Geno67 Re: What line do you use? - 03/14/22
4-10 lb - trilene xl. 12 lb and above - Vicious Pro Elite Fluorocarbon. Braid has it's uses, I have one deep drop rod with braid for sensitivity (usually catch sharks on it - lol) but my fingers and most of my reels hate braid.
Posted By: Osky Re: What line do you use? - 03/17/22
Trilene xl up to maybe 14 lbs. then a big jump to 65-100 lb stealth. The big line is on my musky and lake trout rigs.
The Trilene does well on the lighter gear, I do not fish slop.

Osky
Posted By: bruinruin Re: What line do you use? - 03/20/22
4 lb Yo-zuri Hybrid.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: What line do you use? - 03/20/22
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I used to use mono going back to stren way back to the early 60s. Then fireline came along. I found I didn't loose as many lures, didn't have line twist and memory issues and due to its smaller diameter throws further.

I see many use some sort of mono or fluorocarbon leader with a braid. I guess I am old and lazy as I don't bother with a leader. I just tie the fireline directly to the lure. I use the smoke color. Guess our bass water is dingy enough that a leader wouldn't make a difference.

I just edited this post as I realized Berkley no longer makes fireline! I see it is still available on a few sites. Will be getting another 1500 yd spool then worry about what line is next in a few years.....

Not sure where you got that fireline info. I called my brother and asked him he has worked for them folks nigh on 40 years and for the last couple of years from home as most of his work is done on computer. He said that would be news to him as it's one their best sellers. He told me he would make an official inquiry tommorow and let me know, I'll post it. Myself I've used all the Trilene variations at one time or another, I like them all. As somebody's have mentioned leaving your rod and reel exposed to constant UV is asking for problems I believe that for sure...mb
Posted By: ackleydave Re: What line do you use? - 03/20/22
I hope they didn’t discontinue the Fireline. I love that stuff. You can keep the mono but since I’ve gone to Fireline I can say that I have never lost a fish due to line breakage.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: What line do you use? - 03/20/22
"What's a nice girl like you, doing in a place like this." laugh

And no, it's never worked. laugh

Now back to fishing line.
Posted By: ingwe Re: What line do you use? - 03/21/22
Originally Posted by longarm
For light spin fishing, spinners and spoons almost exclusively.
I've been using mono for decades, haven't tried flouro. I usually use #4-6 test.

I do a lot of ultralight spinning and use #10 fireline ( 3lb diameter) All we do here is creek fishing for trout, and the #10 is nice when you hang the lure up in a bush on the other side of the creek. I use exactly the same tackle in Canada for Northerns,and have caught them up to 20 lbs.
Posted By: longarm Re: What line do you use? - 03/21/22
Thanks for the Fireline tip, I'll check it out too
Posted By: TheKid Re: What line do you use? - 03/21/22
Lose a lot less fish with braid. But it’s hard on rods and reels and the small diameter stuff is unsalvagable on a bad backlash.

I use 6lb Trilene XL or Pline on my crappie and trout rigs. Bass rods get 12lb from the same brands. Berkeley Big Game 30 or 40lb on the catfish rigs. I do use some PowerPro on trolling and bottom fishing rods.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: What line do you use? - 03/21/22
Well I checked with my brother and he asked the guy in charge of lines. Apparently they made 2 versions of Fireline and 1 version is being discontinued but the improved version is not and most assuredly still availible. You want a better explanation e-mail Berkely...mb
Posted By: Azshooter Re: What line do you use? - 03/21/22
I also talked with Berkley. I was told that they are going to phase out the original Fireline. You can still find some on line with the original label. I got a 1500 yd spool of 6 lb from Scheel's.

Their new improved superline will still be called "fireline", There is a slightly different label on the spool. It says thermally fused tough.

"DESCRIPTION
New and improved FireLine® is smoother, tougher, and more sensitive! 8-strand fused technology provides unmatched abrasion resistance making it 5X's tougher than conventional braided lines. It has a smoother, more supple feel for a longer casting FireLine®!"

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/collections/superline/products/fireline-1292708

To add to the confusion the person a Berkley also said: "There will be a new product that uses fireline and will be called Bead Smith. Same as original fireline but any given pound test will be thicker." I have no idea how Bead Smith can be the considered same as original Fireline yet be thicker for any given pound test.

At least you can still buy the phased out Fireline here and there. And soon there will be a superior replacement for it.
Posted By: efw Re: What line do you use? - 04/10/22
I fell in love w/ Berkley Fireline 17 lb test which is the same diameter of 6 lb mono. I’ll generally run a 6 lb bumper of fluro double-uni knotted for castability.
Trilene sensation in 6 pound test color is solar. I use it on all my rods both ice fishing and open water. I fished I over 160 days per year.
Posted By: haverluk Re: What line do you use? - 04/26/22
P-Line CX is my favorite 4-17# line for spinning reels by far.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: What line do you use? - 04/26/22
Eight to twenty lb Suffix or Power Pro braid with a fluro or mono leader on spinning gear. Twelve lb Trilene XL on baitcasters.
© 24hourcampfire