4 lb Yo-zuri Hybrid.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I used to use mono going back to stren way back to the early 60s. Then fireline came along. I found I didn't loose as many lures, didn't have line twist and memory issues and due to its smaller diameter throws further.

I see many use some sort of mono or fluorocarbon leader with a braid. I guess I am old and lazy as I don't bother with a leader. I just tie the fireline directly to the lure. I use the smoke color. Guess our bass water is dingy enough that a leader wouldn't make a difference.

I just edited this post as I realized Berkley no longer makes fireline! I see it is still available on a few sites. Will be getting another 1500 yd spool then worry about what line is next in a few years.....

Not sure where you got that fireline info. I called my brother and asked him he has worked for them folks nigh on 40 years and for the last couple of years from home as most of his work is done on computer. He said that would be news to him as it's one their best sellers. He told me he would make an official inquiry tommorow and let me know, I'll post it. Myself I've used all the Trilene variations at one time or another, I like them all. As somebody's have mentioned leaving your rod and reel exposed to constant UV is asking for problems I believe that for sure...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hope they didn’t discontinue the Fireline. I love that stuff. You can keep the mono but since I’ve gone to Fireline I can say that I have never lost a fish due to line breakage.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"What's a nice girl like you, doing in a place like this." laugh

And no, it's never worked. laugh

Now back to fishing line.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by longarm
For light spin fishing, spinners and spoons almost exclusively.
I've been using mono for decades, haven't tried flouro. I usually use #4-6 test.

I do a lot of ultralight spinning and use #10 fireline ( 3lb diameter) All we do here is creek fishing for trout, and the #10 is nice when you hang the lure up in a bush on the other side of the creek. I use exactly the same tackle in Canada for Northerns,and have caught them up to 20 lbs.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for the Fireline tip, I'll check it out too

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lose a lot less fish with braid. But it’s hard on rods and reels and the small diameter stuff is unsalvagable on a bad backlash.

I use 6lb Trilene XL or Pline on my crappie and trout rigs. Bass rods get 12lb from the same brands. Berkeley Big Game 30 or 40lb on the catfish rigs. I do use some PowerPro on trolling and bottom fishing rods.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I checked with my brother and he asked the guy in charge of lines. Apparently they made 2 versions of Fireline and 1 version is being discontinued but the improved version is not and most assuredly still availible. You want a better explanation e-mail Berkely...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also talked with Berkley. I was told that they are going to phase out the original Fireline. You can still find some on line with the original label. I got a 1500 yd spool of 6 lb from Scheel's.

Their new improved superline will still be called "fireline", There is a slightly different label on the spool. It says thermally fused tough.

"DESCRIPTION
New and improved FireLine® is smoother, tougher, and more sensitive! 8-strand fused technology provides unmatched abrasion resistance making it 5X's tougher than conventional braided lines. It has a smoother, more supple feel for a longer casting FireLine®!"

https://www.berkley-fishing.com/collections/superline/products/fireline-1292708

To add to the confusion the person a Berkley also said: "There will be a new product that uses fireline and will be called Bead Smith. Same as original fireline but any given pound test will be thicker." I have no idea how Bead Smith can be the considered same as original Fireline yet be thicker for any given pound test.

At least you can still buy the phased out Fireline here and there. And soon there will be a superior replacement for it.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I fell in love w/ Berkley Fireline 17 lb test which is the same diameter of 6 lb mono. I’ll generally run a 6 lb bumper of fluro double-uni knotted for castability.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trilene sensation in 6 pound test color is solar. I use it on all my rods both ice fishing and open water. I fished I over 160 days per year.

living the good life every day
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
P-Line CX is my favorite 4-17# line for spinning reels by far.

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eight to twenty lb Suffix or Power Pro braid with a fluro or mono leader on spinning gear. Twelve lb Trilene XL on baitcasters.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.