Home
Posted By: RickcNY Smelly jelly ? - 08/07/19
Don't laugh one of my customers told me about a recent charter he went on and the captain used this stuff called smelly jelly and ran a identical set up without ,he caught 10 to 1 on the one with smelly jelly on it ,has anyone here ever used it and if so what scent for walleyes ? The stuff has a website
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/07/19
I use it for Salmon and trout.
Smear a little on the backside of a spinner blade or on a trolling plug works good.
Visual and scent attraction is a winning combination over just one of those things.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/08/19
They were fishing lakers
Posted By: LouisB Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/09/19
And (I am almost afraid to go with this) where does one get "Smelly Jelly"?
Posted By: 1minute Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/09/19
I'd not touch this with a 3.048 meter pole. Years back a sponsored salt water salmon angle spent months towing an underwater camera and combinations of rigs and scents seeking to reach perfection. Best scent when it was all done was fuel and oil saturated bilge water.

Fair dinkum,
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/09/19
Originally Posted by RickcNY
They were fishing lakers

Lakers will chew anything trolled slowly by them....I have some but have not used it in years
Posted By: mow1954 Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/09/19
I tried it years ago. Only thing that I could tell that it did was make my fingers smell bad....
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/09/19
I use Smelly Jelly when salmon fishing, always. Wouldn't fish without it. I never use the stuff when fishing walleyes or anything else. Our salmon react very well to flashers and squid, and the scent seems to make a positive difference, whereas on the Great Lakes they seem to like spoons much better, and dodgers as well. Our fish won't go for either one. I have dusty tackle boxes and receipts to prove it.
Posted By: funnybone Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/09/19
Most times fish will go after anything that resembles food. If you are fishing three in a boat it seems that the back of the boat is the worst place to fish from . Also seems either side of the boat will be better than the other on any given day. I`m talking lakes from 5 to 40 feet. I have used various stinky attractant`s and can`t say they did any good, but they did not seem to hurt.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/10/19
LOTS of guys here in Utah swear by it, as well as the Pro-Cure brand. They use it for walleye, channel cats, kokanee salmon, trout, striped bass and wipers...almost everything. Pick the flavor that seems best for a given species and have at it. Crawdad works on most fish species here.

(It is VERY sticky and smelly. Avoid getting on your fingers if possible - especially if you snack while fishing! Keep some cotton swabs in a baggie to apply it. And the only thing that seems to remove it from lures afterwards is WD-40.)
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/10/19
I was thinking of using the Nightcrawler flavor on some silly worms (very soft plastic) tied to a small hook for panfish. Any one try it this way?
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/11/19
Like any lure, bait or technique, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Never tried “Smelly Jelly”, but I’ve been using “Pro Cure” for years.
Mostly trolling for trout.
I have tested it many times, trolling two near identical lures, one with and one without.
There is NO consistency, other than the scented lure never catches less.
About half the time, the scented lure gets more hits and catches more fish, and half the time I see no difference.
That’s good enough for me.

Another thing, the flavor of scent used seems to make a difference, but it doesn’t necessarily make any sense. Often the scent that works best is something foreign to the water I’m fishing.
I caught quit a few trout this spring, in fresh water high mountain lakes using a “Crab” scent from “Hook Up Baits”, paired with one of their small jigs.
I have also had luck with Pro Cure “Trophy Trout” scent that smells like a chub bait fish.
The lakes I’m fishing have no chub in them.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/11/19
Many moons ago I was told smelly jelly was illegal in Alaska .........too effective.

I used to use it a lot when trolling 4 rainbows.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/11/19
Rick. I've never tried the jelly stuff, but for walleyes I'm a big believer in Dr. Juice on a jig, a Whistler Jig to be more specific. We get a lot of walleyes in Canada, but like with any fishing there are lulls in the action. Too many times I've put a drop of that Dr. Juice on my jig body and within seconds I'd get bit. 8 of us rented a cabin on a fly-in this last June and I got the largest and more fish than the other guys. I believe in the scent stuff.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Smelly jelly ? - 08/24/19
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'd not touch this with a 3.048 meter pole. Years back a sponsored salt water salmon angle spent months towing an underwater camera and combinations of rigs and scents seeking to reach perfection. Best scent when it was all done was fuel and oil saturated bilge water.

Fair dinkum,

That was Charlie White, and his video was called "Charlie White's Salmon Spectacular." He went around doing seminars on salmon fishing and showing the video.

I particularly remember the segment on bilge water, and how it was most effective on salmon. He actually marketed a scent called, “Bilgewater”

I met him here in Whitehorse at one of his seminars, and bought a couple of his patented lures called "The Lure." Still have one in my tackle box, and it still catches lake trout.

Never did buy any Bilgewater. smile

Ted
© 24hourcampfire